Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

My cousin shot himself and my great aunt died of liver cancer, if all you edgelords could avoid mentioning guns, ammunition, suicide, cancer, livers, aunties and the word 'great'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizzmaster Zero
Feb 15, 2015

ASK ME ABOUT MESOTHELIOMA
MY DAD DIED OF OLD AGE NOBODY MENTION HOW OLD YOU ARE, OR DADS, OR DEATH.

especially tomorrow cause thats when he died lmao

rip my fat gay dad

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
you people are fuckwits. if a particular term triggers someone maybe you should just respect their wishes and not loving use it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yeah, it's not like it's Soag having a cry, Tithin's a pretty respectable sort and generally goodposts here. Why be a fuckhead to him?

Oh, wait, it's Jonah, there's the explanation.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
gently caress sake auspol.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Look, if you guys want to be like that I'm not going to stop you, I've asked, and if you're not willing to be nice about it then so be it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Gas, Ban OP, salt earth.

Fortunately it will all be over tomorrow when we renew with a fresh thread. Let's try not to poo poo this one up too quickly.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I go away for the weekend and what do I find when I get back?

Pretty much what I expected to be honest.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
doooooooooooogggg

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

white mans burping posted:

doooooooooooogggg

To be honest, I didn't expect that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has taken the unusual step of speaking about a cabinet meeting after extraordinary leaks about the government's approach to anti-terror legislation.

Mr Abbott said on Sunday that moves to strip the citizenship of Australians involved with terrorism had been "overwhelmingly endorsed" by the cabinet at a meeting last Monday.

Two days after Fairfax Media published a blow-by-blow account of the meeting, Mr Abbott dismissed as "false reports" leaks that several senior ministers had voiced strong opposition to measures being proposed.

The government is preparing legislation that would give the immigration minister the power to strip dual nationals of their Australian citizenship, without a court process, if they are involved in terrorism.

At least half a dozen ministers used last Monday's cabinet meeting to voice objections to a second proposal favoured by Mr Abbott and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton that could see sole nationals stripped of their citizenship as well.

That proposal has been included in a discussion paper on citizenship being led by Philip Ruddock.

"It's a very clear position that the government has: we are proposing to strip citizenship from terrorists who have dual nationality," Mr Abbott said on Sunday.

"I stress we want to strip citizenship from terrorists who have dual nationality; we've also released a discussion paper on citizenship more generally."

"The proposition that was put was overwhelmingly endorsed by the cabinet and by the party room," Mr Abbott said.

Julie Bishop, Malcolm Turnbull, Barnaby Joyce, George Brandis, Christopher Pyne and Kevin Andrews are all believed to have spoken against the idea for sole nationals.

It was revealed several ministers were unaware of the proposal, had received no written briefing and the matter was not listed on the cabinet agenda.

Ms Bishop said on Saturday the discussion paper was the appropriate way to test the proposal.

Terrorism is 'most significant threat'

Thirty-seven backbenchers have also signed a letter calling on the Prime Minister to stand by the tough plan.

Mr Abbott reiterated comments by Mr Dutton earlier on Sunday that he believed the majority of Australians wanted tougher action on terrorism.

Mr Dutton defended the proposal and sought to downplay tensions in cabinet over the issue.

"The government has taken a decision that the most significant threat facing our country now and into the foreseeable future is the threat of terrorism and I think Australians understand that," Mr Dutton told Sky News.

He did not answer questions about whether he and Mr Abbott were forced to shift the proposal for sole nationals into the discussion paper because attempts to include it in the draft legislation were overruled by senior ministers.

"I'm not going into process," he said.

"The position that came out of cabinet was a position the Prime Minister and I took to the cabinet and it was endorsed by the party room."

Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus told the ABC's Insiders on Sunday there was "spectacular disagreement in what can only be described as a dysfunctional cabinet on this issue".

He said he had "serious concerns" about the proposal but did not say whether or not Labor would oppose it.

New tactic: lie.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why are all the media outlets reporting about a Reclaim Australia "splinter group" protesting in Richmond? Why do even the ~radical fringe groups~ need to have ~radical fringe groups~?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Bookmarks post.

Waits 30 years.

Memo to Dreyfus though. When a bullshit proposal is brought to cabinet and it is shot down by senior ministers resulting in the PM and and his in-bred looking idiot having their arses handed to them that's not a "dysfunctional cabinet". Given Shorten will probably try to rubber stamp it if he thinks it will get him even one more vote let's see how "dysfunctional" Labor is on the issue.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lid posted:

New tactic threaten to use the new powers first when past on any dissidents sitting LNP members who didn't support it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There was a "Bash the Fash" at the Richmond Town Hall today. Anyone here went down?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Bookmarks post.

Waits 30 years.

Memo to Dreyfus though. When a bullshit proposal is brought to cabinet and it is shot down by senior ministers resulting in the PM and and his in-bred looking idiot having their arses handed to them that's not a "dysfunctional cabinet". Given Shorten will probably try to rubber stamp it if he thinks it will get him even one more vote let's see how "dysfunctional" Labor is on the issue.

The dysfunction isn't in reference to the disagreements, it's in reference to Abbott and Dutton springing on them and trying t go around the cabinet on it.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 31, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Do you guys remember that Hollowmen episode where they decided to keep talking about terrorism?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
This thread will die of shame.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the same way it lived, then.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Drugs posted:

you people are fuckwits. if a particular term triggers someone maybe you should just respect their wishes and not loving use it.

Maybe people shouldn't suggest that people are "triggered" unless the person actually has PTSD, and not just for "this gives me icky squicky feels and makes me feel bad because it reminds me of a situation in which I felt sad".

My partner has PTSD and I've seen first hand what disassociation and being rendered into a catatonic state does after being triggered, and the term is so loving overused as a substitute for "this subject makes me feel uncomfortable" it makes actual trigger warnings pointless because they just get mocked.

/petpeeve

edit: potential overreaction, but gently caress me, I saw someone unironically claim that Mad Max should have a "trigger warning" for "fat shaming" today, and just... :fuckoff:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 31, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Andrew Bolt decided to do an impression of Adam Goodes' dance.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why is my avatar everywhere soag?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tithin posted:

Look, if you guys want to be like that I'm not going to stop you, I've asked, and if you're not willing to be nice about it then so be it.

It's not like I even post that often/have specific plans in mind on saying things burning/being fire but you came out kind of swinging on that guy when he couldn't possibly have known about it

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, it's not like it's Soag having a cry, Tithin's a pretty respectable sort and generally goodposts here. Why be a fuckhead to him?

Oh, wait, it's Jonah, there's the explanation.
Yeah bro I'm the only one saying this you win the prize for making a correct and accurate post. Your trophy is in the mail

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Yeah. Should have cut to the video tape Bolta.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Mattjpwns posted:

Maybe people shouldn't suggest that people are "triggered" unless the person actually has PTSD, and not just for "this gives me icky squicky feels and makes me feel bad because it reminds me of a situation in which I felt sad".

My partner has PTSD and I've seen first hand what disassociation and being rendered into a catatonic state does after being triggered, and the term is so loving overused as a substitute for "this subject makes me feel uncomfortable" it makes actual trigger warnings pointless because they just get mocked.

/petpeeve

edit: potential overreaction, but gently caress me, I saw someone unironically claim that Mad Max should have a "trigger warning" for "fat shaming" today, and just... :fuckoff:

e; whatever, i'm wrong, sorry. that was not the correct word. the point stands that the following posters:

• Jonah Galtberg
  • Jizzmaster Zero
  • Starshark

deserve to be piled on twice as hard as Anidav was yesterday

Drugs fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 31, 2015

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Yeah bro I'm the only one saying this you win the prize for making a correct and accurate post. Your trophy is in the mail

It's your goal in life to ensure this remains true, isn't it?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
NT Government considers giving police new powers to lock up young people found on streets at night

ffs

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's your goal in life to ensure this remains true, isn't it?
Is it your goal to prove that you're the world's worst at deflecting the course of an argument after starting out objectively wrong?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

young kid died in town a few months back (OD from sniffing something, iirc)

died not 100 meters away from where a youth drop-in centre used to be, but had closed due to funding cuts

:cripes:

poo poo is hosed.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It's not like I even post that often/have specific plans in mind on saying things burning/being fire but you came out kind of swinging on that guy when he couldn't possibly have known about it

Maybe it was a bit strongly worded in some ways, but it was asked as nicely as I could have at the time.

Just let it drop folks, it's really not worth it. I doubt people are doing it out of malice.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You know it all will just end in extra policing when crimes inevitably occur.

None of the groups/parties seems to understand cooperation or compromise.

Another generation down the shitter.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lid posted:

See: the last X thousand years of political discourse and then amend statement

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Drugs posted:

If you are offended by people using words in or out of context you are a lovely self entitled oval office of a person.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Laserface posted:

If you are offended by people using words in or out of context you are a lovely self entitled oval office of a person.

I can see why you're posting in the Problem Attic.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

Yep, I agree. (with everything except the word oval office)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Laserface posted:

False

Redwolf
Aug 9, 2011

I do not approve of your posting good sir! Not at all!
June thread is up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723242

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why are all the media outlets reporting about a Reclaim Australia "splinter group" protesting in Richmond? Why do even the ~radical fringe groups~ need to have ~radical fringe groups~?

Might be worried about defamation. Is Reclaim a one or two man show?

It's been a couple of years now, probably time for a new lawsuit.

• Locked thread