Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

rakovsky maybe posted:

1. Finance (Out according to Not a Children)
2. Business/MBA (But I've heard these degreees are much less useful now, maybe I'm wrong)
3. Selling homeopathic remedies
4. Mercenary
5. Some sort of Walter White-esque drug dealer?

Really, the responses so far are pretty disappointing. With ten years of absolute control over someone's life you can't make them relatively wealthy? I expected better.

1. You could get a business administration degree or similar and get a job with alright pay. Better than you current degree's earning potential but not hitting $200k. You need some business experience to get a job worth $200k per year.
2. These degrees are only useful in the context of what I stated in 1. An MBA is worthless other than networking. While on holiday I bought a book for $25 AUD that contains the majority of what you would learn in an MBA. I did a lot of the content while completing my chemistry degree so the book is good and better value for money that paying tuition costs/wasting your life.
3. Might as well try selling luxury cars to the rich and super-rich you'd make more money.
4. If you get a few years experience in the army, or a police tactical unit you could qualify as a mercenary. Just remember the danger pay excludes medical insurance (medical is a major benefit of being a soldier in a warzone) and the type of injuries you could receive could be expensive to treat including airlift costs.
5. You could make money or you could blow it all.

Really the oil rig option is a good option. The super large money that some of my family members make relates to substantial experience combined with an engineering degree. It takes a long time to get to the top jobs and you may need to wait for someone to retire, or in the current environment their contract to be cancelled.

You could take a practical option of having your budget reviewed and calculating the amount you have to make/save/invest to achieve you goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pympede posted:

What was the title of the book? I was thinking about getting an MBA but then I realised I mostly just want to learn more about accounting and financial math and that seems like a smart place to start.

The Personal MBA by Seth Godin. It has a section on finance which is a basic but effective introduction if you have never studied accounting. That section then goes onto topics covered in economics and management science/operations research. Plenty of other good stuff in there for a relatively low cost book.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pympede posted:

Do you mean the personal MBA by Josh kaufman? I appreciate your help with this btw.

Yes, you are correct. I typed the first name noted on the cover by accident.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread