Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

FateFree posted:

I personally think it would be possible and even easy to approach 200k in ten years with a programming job and ten years of focus. You don't need to go to college for it, a buddy of mine came from a business degree and did a coding boot camp for 2 or 3 months (and either 12 or 20k) and had a job making 90k a few months later. The catch is you have to be good at your job, which means you code at work and code at home to learn more. If you like coding, this will happen either way. There is always more to learn.

I've been in the field for ten years, I could get a job in the city for 160-170k base tomorrow if I wanted to, and bonuses and/or side projects would surely clear me over 200, but I settle for less because my job is cake and I can work from home in my underwear.

But, programming is a skill that requires a special type of brain. You need to be a good problem solver, slightly OCD, and have a real desire to learn and implement the best solutions for given problems. Good organizational skills are key. Some people just have a hard time with all the abstract concepts. I personally believe they can be learned regardless, but still, none of this will happen unless you really want to be (and actually do become) a good programmer.

When you're talking about programming, what sort of specific work are you thinking of? I don't know the field very well but I know people differentiate between app development, web sites, etc. I'm not looking for $200k/yr, just a solid career change and so I'm trying to figure out what the best path would be in world of self-taught programming. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread