Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I haven't done any digital work in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

More of this sort of thing.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

smallmouth: I really like the robot. It is like a PSA. Asimov's laws. . . .?

This isn't a drawing but I would really like C&C.

There is no photoshop thread on these forums as far as I know.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

smallmouth: I really like the robot. It is like a PSA. Asimov's laws. . .?

Thanks. It's from the movie Automata. The robot gains sentience through evolution/randomness and is asked who altered his protocols (Asimov).

My only suggestion might be to make the carpet ripple some like it's actually in the air. As is it looks kind of flat.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Heads

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

did some hands in ballpoint pen earlier.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

smallmouth: I really like the robot. It is like a PSA. Asimov's laws. . . .?

This isn't a drawing but I would really like C&C.

It's a bit confusing at the moment.

And please keep in mind I'm not trying to be harsh—I just know that with Photoshop stuff, you can generally make some radical changes relatively easily that wouldn't be possible in other media without starting from scratch, so I'm gonna go over as much as I can think of.

In Photoshop comps as well as drawings, paintings, etc. the first thing you should be looking at is composition. After the fundamental proportions of the composition, implied lines and areas of contrast.

So. Implied lines. The body is forming a line across the middle of the picture that's kind of sort of tilted, and you want to avoid having slight angles like that feature prominently because they make the picture look like they're not quite the right way up.

The apparent first focal point of the image (the eye) is right near the middle vertically (don't put focal points in the middle in non-symmetrical compositions) and too far over to the side horizontally (which leads the viewer right out of the picture, especially because the face is already sort of pointing out of the picture).

Also, fields of contrasting value figure into composition: the body is drawing the most attention because it has the most contrast, and that's good, but the second highest-contrast area is the bit of sky way over on the right, and that's bad because, again, if you try to look at it, you're led right out of the picture. The corner of the carpet is pretty much an arrow pointing you to the exit.

Another thing which is really important in drawing and painting but especially in Photoshop comps is how elements interact with each other. If things don't look like they're interacting with each other, they just look superimposed. You were doing better in this regard in an earlier version of the picture:
You had the fire interacting with the carpet and the body by casting a glow which is occluded by the shadow of the body. Also the bend of the carpet suggested some mass/interaction between the carpet and the body.

As it is now, it looks like the body should be sliding off the carpet, which looks totally vertical and unaffected by the mass of the body. The glow is still there but because of some lighting issues it isn't very visible and doesn't make as much sense.

By lighting issues I mean that none of the elements (the background, the carpet, or the body) are consistent in regard to light anymore. The carpet now looks like it's lit up by some sort of flying spotlight but there are no shadows cast by the body which agree with that. The sky in the background suggests that the whole foreground should be darkened almost to silhouette. The fire and the sky are kind of fighting for the foreground because of their high values in relation to the carpet. The fire should probably just be the brightest thing by far in the picture (like it was earlier) because that's what the viewer is supposed to look at.

Finally, edges. The edges of the body are softer than everything else. The carpet and the city all have super sharp edges and details (except for the holes in the carpet, which are softer than the carpet itself). Returning briefly to lines, as a viewer, I see the super crisp lines on the upper right side of the carpet and wonder why I'm being led up and down with no connection to what's going on in the left side of the picture (note however that the left edge of the carpet is connected to the focal area by the fire).

Be very deliberate with every edge you can see in your picture. Things at the same depth of field as a focal point need to be sharp (well, as sharp as is necessary for whatever you need). The further away from that depth of field, the softer (whether they're closer or further).

Otherwise, the wrong things come forward and your intended foreground starts trying to retreat into the background. You can't make stuff much sharper without making it look bad, so in this case you would just use Gaussian Blur or whatever to drop back the other stuff.

The general shape of the fire is good, but it's too far to the left and is therefore leading the viewer towards the corner of the picture (which is generally a bad thing).

Keep going with this thing, you're competent at Photoshop and you'll get this picture to where you need it soon.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Beelzebub you are a machine

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Lizard meat.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
Some dead things. You could eat them, I suppose.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

sigma 6 posted:

There's the digital thread, although it's practically dead.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Thanks for taking the time to type all this out! I looked at that pic and went "there's something wrong, stuff doesn't go together" and couldn't really articulate WHY.
That's one hell of an informative dissection.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Status Epilepticus posted:

Some dead things. You could eat them, I suppose.

Man these are great!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thanks for taking the time to type all this out! I looked at that pic and went "there's something wrong, stuff doesn't go together" and couldn't really articulate WHY.
That's one hell of an informative dissection.
Hey, I hope it's helpful! :sweatdrop:

:vince:
These are incredible.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 11, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beelzebub, I hope I can do something like that in a day, some day!

Someone linked to Bobby Chiu's stream and his attitude totally fixed mine and got me to just draw and not worry about it. So my plan is to sketch for a few hours for the next few weeks and then get in to learning fundamentals and figure drawing and poo poo.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

ijyt: None of the things I've been posting were done in a day. I've been working on all these since October, but can only just now post them online due to non-disclosure stuff. I put them in this thread because they represent the work I do on a daily basis.

For these character illustrations I typically spend three hours drawing out a design and then fire it off to the art director. If I get the thumbs up, it takes on average an hour and a half to pin down the values and color, and then another three to six hours to finish the final painting.

I kind of work in an assembly line by dedicating a day to just drawing, a day for value/color studies, and then however many days it takes to finalize things.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 11, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beelzebub posted:

ijyt: None of the things I've been posting were done in a day. I've been working on all these since October, but can only just now post them online due to non-disclosure stuff. I put them in this thread because they represent the daily work I do.

Oh thank god.

e: Like in the back of my mind I was like, "surely that can't be literally a daily drawing" but naïvety prevailed.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

... I have no idea how I managed to do this considering im no that well versed in digital painting.

Whatever I did, im doing a study like this again tommorow

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad to see some other ink work going on!

I worked extra hours so I had some time to draw while I took calls at work. This is what came out this time:

and finally, I thought of the topic and drew something appropriate:

Previous boredoms here: http://imgur.com/a/NrIka

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 12, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is really, really good advice. Definitely helps. Thank you!

Switching the angle of the carpet and fixing the frayed edges. Also going to add some embers to the holes and possibly some fringe to the carpet. Will add more rippling and try to fix the softness on the body. May have to paint in the anatomy because the source image is low res. The blurry body is me trying to compensate for a low res source image.

In the meantime, here is a sketch dump from the last day or two.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Started a new blog to chronicle our adventures with a trailer home, needed a quick icon.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Hello. This is a sketch that I'm very doubtfully going to turn into a complete picture*, but for now could someone lend me ideas for how to make the composition work better**?

Googling "The Quran Reloaded" should get a good idea of what this is about, and "The Bible Reloaded" for the inspiration behind the image. So the themes are "Quran" and "Guns" (for Reloaded). The inspiration image is positioned more symmetrically and also has geometry in the background that I don't want to crib. My picture so far looks unbalanced and empty to me, though, but I like the woman's posture and I don't know what would make sense thematically in the background***.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the quality.

*Because I haven't drawn in a while, and even then I was quite rubbish.

**At all?

***Another theme would be science, but the symbol of the atom is already taken, plus it would call for symmetry.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Troll/human sketch for the same project as the other stuff I've been posting (bad feet anatomy hoooo).

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 12, 2015

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

supermikhail posted:

Hello. This is a sketch...

If you're super serious about polishing your drawing skills. I think you'd make good progress by not worrying about composition at this stage and instead just focus on filling page after page in a sketchbook with studies and ideas. The symmetry of your references seems to be the only reason why they are visually interesting and why yours might feel unbalanced.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 12, 2015

felat
Apr 27, 2008

How do you guys hold your pens when digitally painting? I hold it like a regular pen and for some reason my wrist hurts after a couple of minutes of doing so...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Where are you putting the tablet? What angle are you working at?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

felat posted:

How do you guys hold your pens when digitally painting? I hold it like a regular pen and for some reason my wrist hurts after a couple of minutes of doing so...

I usually put a pillow on my lap if I'm working from my couch so the shoudlers don't hang at a strange angle. You may want to get one of the old school pen holders and slip it on so you don't have to grip as tight. I have average to large hands and the newer Wacom pens (compared to the old ones) cause pain fast.

And make sure you are stopping regularly and doing hand and wrist stretches!

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Here's my cheap setup. I'm starting an entry level job in a video game company next week and I'd like to get my drawing stance on point before then. When I was in school I'd just take breaks really often, but I don't think I'll be able to do that at work.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You might try a combination of angling the tablet and various wrist or elbow rests. That does look a bit awkward, the way you have to kind of keep your wrist cocked.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Beelzebub posted:

If you're super serious about polishing your drawing skills. I think you'd make good progress by not worrying about composition at this stage and instead just focus on filling page after page in a sketchbook with studies and ideas. The symmetry of your references seems to be the only reason why they are visually interesting and why yours might feel unbalanced.

So, I'd like to randomly tell y'all about myself. I recently realized that I never got the memo that a hobby is something that you basically do all the time you aren't working, at least if the hobby is a verb instead of a noun. Thus I've never spent more than an hour or two a day drawing, at best. I can't spend a lot of time drawing, because in my naivete I managed accumulate a few other "hobbies", for lack of a more humble word. So a while ago, partly due to time, partly because I ended up having 0 ideas about what I wanted to draw, I stopped. However, some time later, while reading some books, I started getting urges, and even perhaps flashes, of scenes and things from these books I wanted to draw. And now there's this contest that my sketch is about, and I got all excited about that. But I don't think I could ever really call drawing even a hobby, per the earlier definition. What do I do, goons?! This is really depressing!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Made a few improvements based on C&C. Not sure how I feel about the shadow under her. Tried to fix the lighting within the carpet to match with the time of day and tweaked the holes a bit. Really iffy about the anatomy. Without it she is really stark but with it you can see some pixelation. Blurred out the background more to try to force focus on the foreground / carpet / figure. Please LMK what you think.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

supermikhail posted:

So, I'd like to randomly tell y'all about myself. I recently realized that I never got the memo that a hobby is something that you basically do all the time you aren't working, at least if the hobby is a verb instead of a noun. Thus I've never spent more than an hour or two a day drawing, at best. I can't spend a lot of time drawing, because in my naivete I managed accumulate a few other "hobbies", for lack of a more humble word. So a while ago, partly due to time, partly because I ended up having 0 ideas about what I wanted to draw, I stopped. However, some time later, while reading some books, I started getting urges, and even perhaps flashes, of scenes and things from these books I wanted to draw. And now there's this contest that my sketch is about, and I got all excited about that. But I don't think I could ever really call drawing even a hobby, per the earlier definition. What do I do, goons?! This is really depressing!

A lot of people don't even have a hobby, so it's good to at least try. With that said, your drawing sucks, your writing sucks, your German sucks, etc. Do you want to suck at like five things or be good at one? Your methods and attitude for each hobby you do is terrible and you never listen to feedback. I see you in all kinds of threads making posts like this: asking if you should do a thing instead of doing it, then ignoring any feedback you get, and usually giving up entirely.

Your art is like REALLY REALLY bad. Your have probably the worst line quality I've ever seen. Do you have a hand injury or something?

Seriously look at those lines. Can you not draw a clear line?

I'll give you the same advice I gave you for German (I'm the guy who told you that you would never ever speak German btw, but I told you in German so you probably didn't understand me) and for writing: Learn some actual basics, humble yourself, stop trying to take on huge projects that you lack the basic stepping stones for. Learn how to conjugate verbs before you "read" 300-page non-fiction books; learn how to write a basic, compelling short story before you try to re-write the entire New Testament without Jesus in it.

I just looked at your post history and apparently you also do Spanish, French, Guitar, and voice acting. I'm guessing you are terrible at all of those things as well.

What do you really want to do? You can probably get reasonably good at two of them if you acknowledge you are bad at them and start from the basics. At least I don't see you having like 3,000 posts in Let's Play or EVE Online threads...you've got that going for you. It seems like you are really interested in being creative at SOMETHING, but focus on what you really want to do, start from square one, and get good at it. If you want to draw, take lifedrawing classes, practice drawing straight lines, practice drawing circles, practice holding a piece of charcoal properly: do all the stuff you think you don't need to do. Everyone who is actually good at stuff started with these things. You are not special and you don't get to skip the basics.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
And now that the above poster has told you TO focus let's direct you a little more and see if you listen.

Drawing: You need to start at some basics. See the characters right arm in your picture? It's too short. You tried to foreshorten it because he/she is holding the gun BUT there's not enough arm to the left to make that work in real space. If you imagine your character lowering their arm how you drew it, you'll notice he/she has a little dwarf arm.

My suggestion? Do Loomis practice. Google Andrew Loomis and start with basic shapes that make up the human body. Once you have that done, then you'll move onto skeletons. Scary! Then after you can draw a skeleton doing any dynamic pose you are ready to start drawing characters with good line art. After that comes value practice (don't jump ahead). For most people this takes months to years. Have patience. Remember that kid that was really good at drawing when you were in school? It's because they were doing it since they could hold a pen.

Looking at your picture above it appears you skipped steps and went directly to character drawing. For fun, look up the anatomy of the human body and go back and try to draw a skeleton into your character. Things will get hosed up fast.

When you see people post here most of the time it's a final product where they went through all of these steps first. Look above at felat's work (don't use mine I post here as an example because I'm often just freehanding to practice final stroke work). See those thin lines going down the forehead? He's marking out shape rules that appears to be Loomis style. Loomis will teach you the important things you have no clue about right now like how long is an upper bone of an arm compared to another body part. How many heads tall should a body be, and etc. Once you have ALL of that down then you can start messing with proportions and exaggeration if you want to do cartoon work.

BTW There are other methods too like George Bridgeman if you get lost with Loomis, but I'd suggest starting there since you seem to not understand body proportions. The good news to all of this is that it IS a teachable skill. You just have to be willing to put the time in to improve yourself.

Start with Loomis and get some shapes drawn!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 13, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

An Ounce of Gold posted:

And now that the above poster has told you TO focus let's direct you a little more and see if you listen.

No, I guess.

I find it... awkward that in this kind of threads you assume that I've just started or haven't done anything much with the... topic of the thread (außer Deutsche -- ich habe zu viel guten Wille nach einem halben Jahr erwartet). I find the cost and benefit thing quite poignant in this case, with how much I (and other people and organizations) have actually put into my drawing over the years, how little the quality has apparently progressed, and my permanently lousy stroke.

Anyway, sorry to have bothered you, guys... Well, I'm not sorry for me, because I find this kind of decisions hard to make on my own (and sometimes maintain). I hope that the fact that you've perhaps decreased the entropy in one guy's head can compensate your efforts somewhat.

Or I could go back to traditional drawing, because almost all that effort was expended with it, although I won't assert that I was much better at it (but maybe I was, I've got to check)... In any case, hopefully I won't burden you with my presence anymore.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh man, I hope my attitude wasn't that poo poo when I was younger.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ijyt posted:

Oh man, I hope my attitude wasn't that poo poo when I was younger.

It was. Everyone's was. I went to college recently with a bunch of students who started at 17-18 years old and they all had that attitude. It was fun watching them grow out of it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

supermikhail posted:

No, I guess.

Dude, you need to think less, worry less, and do more. If you only got two hours in a day then you can work with that. Spend 1 hour learning about a thing you like, then spend 1 hour practicing it, do that for as many days in a week as you can. Writing, Art, Language, whatever. It's all about learning good processes and putting them to use as you improve little by little throughout your life. That's how learning works. Soul search and find the things you love and want in your life then put in the work to make it happen. That is all there is to it.

Don't explain yourself or second guess or whatever, just do the drat thing if you want it. If you don't want it then don't bother. If you constantly search for outside validation and let crappy external junk be the reason why you never commit to anything then you are never going to find what you love.

So stop caring about what others think, and find some drat passion already.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

supermikhail posted:

No, I guess...

I'm calling bullshit on this. You are telling me you actually have already practiced dynamic skeletal poses and tried something like Loomis technique? If you go back and read my post all I did was tell you what steps you need to do to improve your picture.

Wasn't that your direct question? "how to make the composition work better"

Yeah it was. So instead of whatever this passive aggressive response was, how about checking into the resources I talked about. Try drawing a skeleton inside your person. That will help you form your body better. That's just ONE technique. I'm sure others here have other ways they can help you out for your contest. Step one would be give that thing you drew a human form huh? Sure the other person was a bit harsh so it may seem like you got dumped on, but if you want to improve you need to approach it with a better attitude and thicker skin when you asked what's wrong.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 13, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phylodox posted:

It was. Everyone's was. I went to college recently with a bunch of students who started at 17-18 years old and they all had that attitude. It was fun watching them grow out of it.

Yeah it totally was. What terrible times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ijyt posted:

Yeah it totally was. What terrible times.

Only in retrospect. Thinking you know everything and that everyone older than you is stupid and washed up and that any day the world will discover how awesome you and your ideas are because you're special and the world owes you is loving awesome at the time.

• Locked thread