Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. You are telling me you actually have already practiced dynamic skeletal poses and tried something like Loomis technique? If you go back and read my post all I did was tell you what steps you need to do to improve your picture.

Wasn't that your direct question? "how to make the composition work better"

Yeah it was. So instead of whatever this passive aggressive response was, how about checking into the resources I talked about. Try drawing a skeleton inside your person. That will help you form your body better. That's just ONE technique. I'm sure others here have other ways they can help you out for your contest. Step one would be give that thing you drew a human form huh? Sure the other person was a bit harsh so it may seem like you got dumped on, but if you want to improve you need to approach it with a better attitude and thicker skin when you asked what's wrong.

I was harsh because I've tried to give him advice like five times over the past year (about German and writing) and I'm very very tired of his garbage attitude. People like him need the harshest advice possible so they just quit instead of wasting everyone's time.

I think his "no," was saying that "No, I'm not going to listen to any of the advice you just wasted ten minutes typing up for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Phylodox posted:

It was. Everyone's was. I went to college recently with a bunch of students who started at 17-18 years old and they all had that attitude. It was fun watching them grow out of it.

Try teaching that age. Oh man.... One campus I used to work at actually discouraged classroom critique because they didn't want anyone's feelings hurt (god forbid the customer is unhappy). :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wanted to try something less static today. I forgot how fun it is to just draw.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

felat posted:

How do you guys hold your pens when digitally painting? I hold it like a regular pen and for some reason my wrist hurts after a couple of minutes of doing so...
I'm not really one of the heavy-hitting digital painters of these threads but this is how I hold mine:

Essentially I'm trying to keep the pen vertical and my wrist rather than the side of my hand down so that my 3 outer fingers don't get pressed together. In this configuration almost all of the control is from my index finger.

Note that my arm's in a funny position because I had to reach around to take the picture. Usually I keep my tablet in front of my body.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Horus, trying to balance the 2D Egyptian pose with a sense of volume:

Someone who let me bum their couch in Portland requested a 'huggy dragon' and maybe it's a fair trade who knows:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Made a few improvements based on C&C. Not sure how I feel about the shadow under her. Tried to fix the lighting within the carpet to match with the time of day and tweaked the holes a bit. Really iffy about the anatomy. Without it she is really stark but with it you can see some pixelation. Blurred out the background more to try to force focus on the foreground / carpet / figure. Please LMK what you think.

I'm liking this better. It's framed better and the foreground and background are clearly established. The sparkley eye still feels too far to the left to me (though not as much as in the previous stage)

As for the shadow under the body, keep in mind that this fire is not a single, direct source of light (since it's spread over her) and therefore the shadow will be kind of soft and even have some orange glow intruding into it. Here's a picture of a guy on fire to show you what I mean:

Also, keep in mind that because of the rather large amount of ambient light from the sky and from stray licks of fire, shadow will mostly be concentrated right where areas of the body touch the carpet, and become diffuse and disappear where the body is lifted away from the surface:

On the bottom middle of your picture the city looks way too much in focus through the hole.
The corner of the carpet on the top of the picture is too close to being a tangent, either pull it down a bit or push it up so that it gets cut off.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 14, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's awesome. You're aweome.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
ijyt: I'm digging the little mouse guy. You should draw a series of him doing various mouse things.

GreatJob posted:

Someone who let me bum their couch in Portland requested a 'huggy dragon' and maybe it's a fair trade who knows:

Nice!

Back on topic of the OP. Here's some Australian food.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 14, 2015

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
Beelzebub: The face on that thing is haunting. Very cool.

This is Salmon Filet.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Stop reminding me about what it was like to be a *~*teenage artist*~*, it's painful.
It's not bad, it's my style :smug:

Chicken with chicken.

I sit with the tablet half in my lap, leaning against the table and edge of the keyboard so it's at a good angle and also I can easily plop my hands over it to type.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Beezlebub, how large of a canvas do you usually use?

A quick portrait sketch tonight. I tried keeping my digital stuff loose like I do with physical media.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Smallmouth: These character illustrations are going to be around 6x4 inches when they hit the printers, so my canvas is around 16x10 inches (4,700 pixels tall @ 300dpi). I paint pretty loose so I usually work with a canvas that's two to three times larger than the requested size. That way there's the option to downsize things at the end to tighten everything up if needed.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
Beezlebub you're a machine. :allears:

Rough sketch from this evening, mainly just focused on values and the face (as usual):

Been trying to work just from imagination as of late and I think it's getting better - at least the faces are anyway. Wonky anatomy and made three attempts at clasped hands before admitting defeat - lots of homework to be done there. So much to learn...so little time. :cripes:

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Thanks for the nice words everyone :)

beats posted:

Rough sketch from this evening, mainly just focused on values and the face (as usual):

Been trying to work just from imagination as of late and I think it's getting better - at least the faces are anyway. Wonky anatomy and made three attempts at clasped hands before admitting defeat - lots of homework to be done there. So much to learn...so little time. :cripes:

Looks awesome. Have you tried a planar analysis of the hands as single units prior to getting in to all the fingers and joints and stuff? I call them 'planar mittens' in my head but I'm sure there's a proper term :P

beats
Oct 21, 2010
^ Thanks man - that's not too far off how I usually attempt them actually - the 'mittens' approach sums it up well. ;) I try and simplify first but I just really struggled to get anything remotely human-looking together. Thinking about it though I'm not sure of the last time I actually did a real hands study - not coincidentally most characters I draw end up wearing literal mittens in shame. :cheeky:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ijyt posted:

Oh man, I hope my attitude wasn't that poo poo when I was younger.

Hah, mine sure as hell was. Eight years in a dead end desk job'll fix that one right up.

GreatJob posted:

a great job

great job!

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

ijyt: I'm digging the little mouse guy. You should draw a series of him doing various mouse things.

Nice!

Back on topic of the OP. Here's some Australian food.

This one's my favourite of all of them so far. I really love your style btw.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Beelzebub posted:

Smallmouth: These character illustrations are going to be around 6x4 inches when they hit the printers, so my canvas is around 16x10 inches (4,700 pixels tall @ 300dpi). I paint pretty loose so I usually work with a canvas that's two to three times larger than the requested size. That way there's the option to downsize things at the end to tighten everything up if needed.
What are your system specs on the machine you use to make these? The problem I keep running into when working at those kinds of resolution is lag. I was working last year on a series of pieces that needed to be 40in wide, so 12000x7647, and I was painting with a delay of a half second to a second between input and action, which was really disconcerting.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
And now for colors. Aagggh. Why can't I stick to black and whiiiiiiite.

Click for Huge

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cartyisme posted:

This is Salmon Filet.

Didn't think I'd ever see blue fish as tasty.

Beelzebub posted:

Thanks man!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I know this is going back a bit but mannnn. It is so burned and scorched and rich and good.

I really like this one (elf bias), you just get such a good sense of an entire vast scenery from so little and I love the intense look on her face.
Sometimes I get a complete brain fart with hands as well, I usually end up scrapping the entire arm and drawing it elsewhere 'cause once you get stuck, you just redraw and redraw and there's just no way you'll ever be pleased with how it comes out. That hand is gone. Eaten by the gods of the art.
(Now draw knives in the stumps :fsn:)

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Sharpest Crayon: Do you ever work with traditional media?

Dude, this is killer!

a hole-y ghost: I'm actually doing a lot of the work on a 1st gen surface pro. I do my sketching/drawing on a desktop using a Wacom tablet with pen-tilt (surface doesn't support this).

I think a lot of the performance has to do with the brush dynamics. My brush is pretty simple and doesn't use a lot of brush presets (or at least any of the heavy processing ones). It's actually just a modified version of Photoshop's chalk brush.

I also don't use that many layers. I have separate layers for the sketch, values, color, brown "under painting", and finished painted layer. The only two layers that remain visible 100% of the time are the under painting and final paint layer. Occasionally I'll use the eyedropper on the color layer when I need to grab a color/value combination. If I have to create layers for extra control when painting objects, they get flattened down pretty quickly to the final layer that sets on top of my brown under painting.

I'll also close out of Photoshop every couple of hours to clear the scratch disk of undo states. I keep as many of them as possible while working since I have commitment issues.

My brush set.
http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/Josh%27s_brushes.abr

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 14, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Beelzebub posted:

Sharpest Crayon: Do you ever work with traditional media?

Nah, not anymore. I always loved the traditional dippy ink pens and watercolours, but I'd always mess up my fingers, the table, my shirt, my face etc. with ink when I did use them. For a while, I moved onto using one of those small brush-tipped ink pens 'cause they're easy to carry around, easy to control and don't make a mess. That was when I used to draw during breaks from work, which I pretty much stopped a few years back.
Why do you ask?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Why do you ask?

You have very bold brush strokes in that last illustration you posted, which is smashing by the way. It reminds of qualities I've seen in small oil painting sketches.

I'd love to see you do one with a bigger squared off brush and try losing some edges and detail in areas of shadow.

An example (not mine).
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EmwRye1skrY/UxbDTyenKOI/AAAAAAAABRg/NIZTIcz2Hn8/s1600/Manchess_What+Mario+Says.jpg

VVV That has a nice editorial vibe to it. Your lines are consistently not straight, so they're okay!

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 14, 2015

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

I enjoy these.

I am bad at straight lines, all of them.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Status Epilepticus posted:

I am bad at straight lines, all of them.

I still like this.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
More scribbling while I was at work taking calls.

A couple of them are old that I forgot to scan. Good times.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Awesome, thanks! And thanks for the brush set, you're a real mensch :thumbsup:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I didn't have any other scratch paper.
I don't think they'll accept this registration form.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Right, im going to be drawing an posting a bird every day for the next six/seven days.

Here we have the first one.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Trying out a different brush in PS. I really wish I could get a chunkier oil affect that would pull color from previous strokes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Use the mixer brush.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

Use the mixer brush.

Thanks. Is that called something different now?

edit: nm, I found it. Thanks.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Just found this thread and wow, Beezlebub you are my hero. In the interest of self-improvement, here's a monster definitely food related digital painting I did just recently.

Trying to get better at digital painting because I love things that pop off the page and have a lot of texture to em. Problem is I like doing textures so drat much I'm usually too excited to get to the "fun part" that I tend to rush through the earlier sketching stages. Knowing now that good art takes literally days of work, here's the result of a 3-hour binge-painting.

I also wasn't privy to the apparently standard renaissance style of the painting process, so for reference here's a gif of my current process boiled down to the basic steps:

https://twitter.com/SlickNickLives/status/598942042308218880

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 15, 2015

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Going over to day 2

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheGreekOwl posted:

Going over to day 2

Smug fucker.

Chameleon alien cosmonaut thing. Took so long trying to get a decent perspective on the left leg that I gave up and gave him a robo-peg leg. Hands were meant to be clasped together but now he's kind of meekly flipping you off and pointing at it or something.

The lighting is a bit hosed, pretty sure.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sketch dump. Not a very good one, but I haven't used ink in forever. Forgot what it was like to hatch in ink.

Bert of the Forest: Cool GIF. Always love to see (animated) progress!

Beelzebub: Thanks also for the brush set. Super impressive work, and again, thanks for the step by step breakdown.

Should finish up the photoshop work soon but the band / lead singer I am doing it for now wants the carpet out completely. WTF.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 15, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I am so not ready to give up that much control, argh.
I did, instead, gently caress around with the squarer brush options in artweaver.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lovely daily... but hey... daily doesn't mean good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Smug fucker.

Chameleon alien cosmonaut thing. Took so long trying to get a decent perspective on the left leg that I gave up and gave him a robo-peg leg. Hands were meant to be clasped together but now he's kind of meekly flipping you off and pointing at it or something.

The lighting is a bit hosed, pretty sure.

Doing a bit more with this as I've not had any other motivation this lazy weekend.

Been playing around with colour not really knowing what I'm doing, kind of at a loss for the main suit colour. Think I need to make the metal simpler than it is now.

• Locked thread