Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

^^^ he looks worried. I like him.

I need to draw more. One day I'll get this theme thing right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Got bored, whipped this off real quick:

Run, Bar-ry.

Run.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Korean food.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Beelzebub posted:

Korean food.

Jackal man fights with a giant phallus. :D

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Super Mario Dudes painting.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

smallmouth posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who saw a stick and two balls.

Also, that crotchgoat looks a tad user hostile. :v:

Picture still owns.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

You already have a bunch of colours down, so the answer for suit colour is obvious: no colour. White!
I'd add a couple of lines of dark shade in the metal to make it look less like aluminium and more like something weightier, but that's just me. Otherwise, I don't think there's any need to simplify it.

Also: Chicken Sundae!

(gently caress glass containers forever)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You already have a bunch of colours down, so the answer for suit colour is obvious: no colour. White!
I'd add a couple of lines of dark shade in the metal to make it look less like aluminium and more like something weightier, but that's just me. Otherwise, I don't think there's any need to simplify it.

Also: Chicken Sundae!

(gently caress glass containers forever)

I tried it, and he looked like an egg/Admiral Ackbar but it really seems like the only choice. Might break up the empty space with some greebles.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

smallmouth posted:

It's well understood that gnolls have big dick...

...weapons.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Day three, this eagle is female.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Click for Huge

Like 95% finished, actually really drat pleased with how the colors turned out.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

It's looking pretty awesome!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

He was going to be holding a thermal detonator but a) I didn't know what it looked like and b) this is more fun.

“Look out, he’s got a thermal det- … ah, hmm…”

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

McKilligan posted:

Click for Huge

Like 95% finished, actually really drat pleased with how the colors turned out.

This is great.

So the lead singer of the band wanted me to take out the carpet, which looked terrible. He likes it better now with the abstraction / glitched out effects. Think I might just finish it with the carpet for myself anyways. The customer is *not* always right IMO.

http://www.westernerband.com/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 19, 2015

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

So the lead singer of the band wanted me to take out the carpet, which looked terrible. He likes it better now with the abstraction / glitched out effects. Think I might just finish it with the carpet for myself anyways. The customer is *not* always right IMO.

I dunno, I agree. This is kind of neat :shrug:
Where will the text go?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a hole-y ghost posted:

I dunno, I agree. This is kind of neat :shrug:
Where will the text go?

Yeah I agree with this person that agrees with that other person.

More doodles while I was at work:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hmmm...well... I guess regardless of the client, majority rules.

The text will go in the lower left hand corner I think.

Found a new figure (semi local) drawing group which isn't Dr. Sketchy's. Frankly, the amount of talent in the room was very intimidating. Felt really, really out of practice.

Sorry about the eraser bits getting on the scanner.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Thems is some fascinatingly hosed up foods. Took some serious contemplation to recognize the meats they hearken from, and I want to taste them all.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Drew some Pokémon things for a friend's birthday.

Trying out new techniques.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Thems is some fascinatingly hosed up foods. Took some serious contemplation to recognize the meats they hearken from, and I want to taste them all.

Lol. Well at least you could recognize them. Thanks man!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Drew some Pokémon things for a friend's birthday.

Trying out new techniques.

I really like this. I can imagine those two characters made out of wood sitting on my shelf.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inking is hard.

Here is the version with the lettering. Lead singer prefers it with none.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Inking is hard.

Small question. When you draw, where is your paper in relation to you? Location, angle, etc.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. You are telling me you actually have already practiced dynamic skeletal poses and tried something like Loomis technique? If you go back and read my post all I did was tell you what steps you need to do to improve your picture.

Wasn't that your direct question? "how to make the composition work better"

Yeah it was. So instead of whatever this passive aggressive response was, how about checking into the resources I talked about. Try drawing a skeleton inside your person. That will help you form your body better. That's just ONE technique. I'm sure others here have other ways they can help you out for your contest. Step one would be give that thing you drew a human form huh? Sure the other person was a bit harsh so it may seem like you got dumped on, but if you want to improve you need to approach it with a better attitude and thicker skin when you asked what's wrong.

Few pages back but I just want to say thank you for those tips, I've been in a similar place where I just try to draw a finished product and it never looks quite right. I fell out of drawing regularly for a really long time and have just recently started to try and get serious but had no idea where to begin improving myself. Once I get better I'll have to start posting stuff in this forum to get torn apart (in the nicest way) :neckbeard:

Anyway, lots of amazing art in this thread!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

Small question. When you draw, where is your paper in relation to you? Location, angle, etc.

Generally I draw flat on a table but I have RSI, so I have built a standing workstation for my computer. Of course that is digital stuff and I have only just started using an easel again. Working in a standing position is always better, but it is a hard habit to break when you have a laptop and a sketchbook. As far as angle goes, that is generally just flat / straight on, rotating the sketchbook a little if I need to. Probably the most unusual thing is that I am left handed but born blind in my left eye. Not sure what kind of bearing that has on my 2d or 3d art.

Does that answer your question? No one has ever asked me that before.

Not a daily drawing, but my first bronze casting. Casting metal can be really dangerous, but such a different sense of accomplishment vs. making a 3d model in software. Foundries are cool. This is a coat hanger and keyring holder. :)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 24, 2015

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Drawn and inked somewhat quickly because I was afraid the spirit would leave me, but for better and worse this is still a good representation of what I can do. Sorry for the cell phone pic (I tried to clean it up a little).

A song put this swamp monster idea into my head weeks ago while I was driving but it left just as quickly. I happened to remember it yesterday and so I wanted to draw it before I forgot again.

I think I need to get one of the aforementioned Loomis books if I want to get better.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Does that answer your question? No one has ever asked me that before.
Yeah, thanks—the reason I ask is because I've been noticing that in your sketched faces one eye tends to be noticeable too low or high, and in my experience the most common cause of that seems to be paper that is too far to the side, but if you're looking at it straight on that's probably not the problem. Sure, using an easel is better, but no one uses an easel to draw all the time.
I don't think the left eye/left hand thing should make too much difference, since both arms are practically the same distance from each eye for drawing purposes.

Cool fish. I'd love to do some bronze casting sometime. How big is the foundry you did that at?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hmmm - it is probably because I didn't draw any guide lines. Whenever I don't draw any construction lines, my proportions tend to be off. Still trying to get better at comparative anatomy.

The foundry is pretty small. It is just a small shed with a number of crucibles. Al has been doing it for many years though, so I am learning as much as I can before he moves it to panama.

Here is his website. http://www.panamaart.com/

This is a little off topic, and I don't know how many people here are fans of Craola, but he just posted a video explaining a little bit of his thought process when drawing.

Just noticed he has a youtube page. Watching this guy work is almost as amazing as the work itself.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CRAOLA280/videos

Content:

Flower still life from the Fine Arts gallery. Monet and Van Gogh painted some amazing flower arrangements. Cassat's no slouch either.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 25, 2015

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Sorry for the cell phone picture. I tried to adjust it a little for clarity.

Copied from "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" p114 in hopes I learn something. Though if I internalized any of it, it was probably subconsciously. The shapes and joins and where muscles wrap around each other made very little sense to me while I was doing it.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Hydrocodone posted:

The shapes and joins and where muscles wrap around each other made very little sense to me while I was doing it.
I have the same issue whenever practicing anatomy. How do the rest of you approach this?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Something that has helped me is viewing anatomy in 3D. There's an app called l'ecorche on android/mac that lets you rotate and zoom around a 3d anatomical model. There's others like it but from the few I've installed I found this one to be the best.

http://i.imgur.com/XycJuTc.gif

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

noggut posted:

I have the same issue whenever practicing anatomy. How do the rest of you approach this?

Loomis. I know it's not the only answer, but while you do that anatomy work Loomis will break down the ratios of relative size. Read something like Andrew Loomis to learn the different body ratios. For example the average person is about 8 heads tall. So once you have the head you can figure out the body. Children tend to be 4-5 heads tall and comic book heroes are elongated to 11 heads for stature.

There are ratios to learn about everything! How long is that finger compared to the length of the wrist to the thumb? Longer fingers look sinister, shorter fingers make you look buffoonish. The more you know the more you get to play with those ratios and create characters.

If you are getting lost in muscle work then you probably aren't understanding where that muscle connects and what movement it's responsible for. Loomis covers that kind of stuff too. If a certain muscle is moving what kind of affect does it have on the rest of the body? When you learn how and why things move then your dynamic movements and poses will make a lot more sense.

That was a lot of typing for someone that just posts cartoon stroke work in this thread. :D

Octolady posted:

Few pages back but I just want to say thank you for those tips, I've been in a similar place where I just try to draw a finished product and it never looks quite right...

No problem. I'm just giving you the same tips people gave me 14yrs ago on the forums. :D I think I was 20yrs old when I came here and I had zero clue how to do value work. I found out my value work would never work because when I was doing portrait work or pose studies I was merely going by eye instead of any sort of structure. Value work isn't going to hide a wonky arm! :D And now I've thrown that all away to do cartoon work and trying to get a TV show on air.

E: raging bullwinkle brings up a good approach too. That style is more Bridgeman work than Loomis. It's looking at the outside shape going in. Everyone's brain is going to like one way or another. If you are having trouble one way make sure you try other methods. Before apps people would have physical wooden pose dolls on your desk to get positions correct. Old farts (get one of those)!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 25, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Did a study of a hilarious photo someone posted to the cute pictures thread:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

noggut posted:

I also sculpt and do 3D models so whenever I'm practicing anatomy I'll do all three at once to kind of force myself to internalize how everything looks from every angle

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Doodled while catching up on Game of Thrones.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

felat posted:

Doodled while catching up on Game of Thrones.

Pretty top-to-bottom great except the face on the mustachioed man in the upper-left corner seems to be turned more towards the viewer than the rest of his head. I especially like the woman in the center who looks like she's sinking to her knees and the mustachioed guy towards the upper-right.

Trying to work from Loomis's figure drawing book:

As always, sorry for the poor picture. And the reference lines were done with a barely-straight edge and no square, so things might have been off at the start. But I immediately like his mannikin figure's suggestion of limb curves and its particular shoulder-and-ribcage piece.

The last figure is a marshmallow and pretzel sticks so that at least one thing I post meets the theme.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I also sculpt and do 3D models so whenever I'm practicing anatomy I'll do all three at once to kind of force myself to internalize how everything looks from every angle

That sounds smart. Do you use ZBrush or something else for the 3D models? And what are the bare basics you need for sculpting?

(Also, thanks An ounce of gold and raging bullwinkle!)

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

A couple sketches for more Pathfinder character illustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

noggut posted:

That sounds smart. Do you use ZBrush or something else for the 3D models? And what are the bare basics you need for sculpting?

(Also, thanks An ounce of gold and raging bullwinkle!)

I use a bunch of tools for 3D but my primary workload is handled by a mix of ZBrush and Maya. If you want to try and get into 3D sculpting I recommend Sculptris, which is like a zbrush lite, more for hobbyists or people who want to test the waters a bit before dropping hundos on beefier software. I'm mostly recommending it because it's free, but it's pretty nice.

• Locked thread