Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, Liquid was always supposed to have a really lovely idea of genes. He's basically basing his entire world view and evil plot on having no clue how science works and I guess nobody having the balls to tell him that he read the book upside-down.

Well, since we can talk about spoilers here, it's all Ocelot's fault, naturally. MGS2 reveals he was sent there just to provoke Liquid.

It's the only logical explanation for the fact Liquid still keeps thinking he's the inferior one in spite of constant proof to the contrary.
Ocelot: "What's that, Boss? You survived a HIND-D crash that totally would have killed Solid Snake? Well...you're still the inferior one! These Super Secret Documents I have say so! No, you can't look at them. You gotta go fight your vastly superior brother."

Also this is some amazing luck on my part. I just got into an MGS Mood after noticing it was just after April 30th. I search LP forum for Metal Gear and immediately find this thread. I have really good luck with this sort of thing it seems.

I will be eagerly following this every thread step of the way. MGS2 is my favorite but I think MGS1 is the best game overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

@ Episode 4: The only Otacon Breakdown Scene (TM) that makes no sense is in MGS4. Because nothing makes sense about MGS4. There's also almost nothing good about MGS4 and I look forward to ranting and raving about how much I hate it when we get there in...I dunno, I wonder how long that will take.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked the Briefings in MGS1. Sure it's a lot of exposition but it's really cool exposition compared to say, MGS4's Briefings. I just remember being really blown away by the cinematic style of them.

They also make Snake look like he has blond hair, which was part of a huge debate in the MGS fandom about what color Snake's hair is. After all, why cut his hair if it's naturally brown and Liquid's is blond? He cut his hair so as not to be mistaken for Liquid but if they have two entirely different hair colors, this shouldn't be a problem.

You know, I remember I must have played MGS1 for the first time when I was in high school because I recall learning about genes and hearing that blond hair was a recessive trait and Iteeange me was all sorts of confused because that didn't match up at all with what this video game told me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dabir posted:

Didn't he also dye it?

That's a popular theory. But it's also possible his hair just looks blonde because of the "style" those scenes were shot in. I'm not against the idea he dyed his hair but it wouldn't be hard to provide arguments to the contrary.

RIP Meryl.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought Ghost Babel was just a giant VR being played by Jack.

e:
Okay looking it up that was only part of it. Still, it's referenced in MGS2. Then again that whole fourth wall craziness probably doesn't count.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You know I think Chip and Voidburger had a discussion of jolly ranchers during their MGS1 LP too.... Weird coincidence.

My favorite was always the purple ones. . Apparently a lot of people hate them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Video games have taught me a lot. Civilization II was my first encounter with what "Communism" really was and got me interested in reading about Marix and Engels and Lenin and it helped shape my political views for many years.

With MGS1, I learned about the Kurds and about how America left them high and dry. Yet IRL they don't seem to hold any grudges against us for that. It's very impressive. I also learned about nuclear proliferation. I know a lot of people view her as superfluous but I think I talked to Nastasha more than any other support team member in any of the games simply because I found all the stuff she could tell me fascinating and the middle school me hadn't heard anything about any of that stuff. About how inefficient and useless the IAEA were.

Of course I'm older now and while I still agree with Kojima insofar as "nukes are bad" I know that Chernobyl is largely a horror story without substance. The myth of it has far eclipsed the reality. (thank you Michael Crichton for telling me this. You were not half the anti-science guy people think you were.)

Also to wrap up this post.
One of the best pieces of music in the series. I think this had a lot to do with why a lot of people remember Wolf's death.

Also that little exchange Snake and Otacon had?
Otacon: Snake. What was she fighting for? What am I fighting for? What are you fighting for?

Solid Snake: If we make it through this I'll tell you.

That is one of Kojima's favorite moments in the series and I agree with him. It's a really good bit of writing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are so many things wrong with the Beauty and the Beast Corps and you highlighted one of them. Another one of them would be the fact a very monotone black man told you over the radio about all the poo poo that happened to them. Who knew Microsoft Sam reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes while you stare at nothing would sap the story of its emotional weight? It's like Kojima completely missed the fact a lot of people were moved by Wolf's or The Boss' death because of a little thing called music and visuals and good voice-acting. (although the hardest death for me in the series is Emma's)

Then there's also the fact that you have just spent at least a full 3-5 minutes being given ludicrous and lurid shots of these women's tits and asses. You maybe even had them pose sexily for you or had them dance to J=Pop. Then you're expected to go from that to "FEEL SORRY FOR THEM! FEEL SAD!" It doesn't work that way. You can't do sex objects or comic relief and then try to rip my heart out, sorry.

MGS4 is just such a goddam schizophrenic game.

But yes...MGS does villains really well. FOXHOUND is probably my favorite "villain group" but I quite like Solidus and Fatman in the next game. Olga too if she counts.

I also appreciate Snake's respectfulness. It's like Meryl was all "you are evil!" to Mantis but Snake just told her to shush so the man could have his final moments. Returning his mask was also a nice gesture on Snake's part.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 19, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXfDSHCEP10

You know, even to this day I still think MGS1 has the best Codec. I won't deny a lot of it is nostalgia though. I remember very clearly the first time I played MGS1, it just blew my loving mind. I spent forever just calling everyone I could and listening to them. I had never encountered anything like this in a video game and to some extent, I still haven't. Kojima might be a bit too obsessed with "I DID RESEARCH LOOK AT ALL MY RESEARCH" but since a lot of it is optional, it doesn't detract from the game in my opinion. Rather, it adds to the game by giving you something intriguing to do if you feel like taking a break from the story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been saying it for years that MGS1 is the best game in the series and you just proved why.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like how Snake just sits there and takes it. He never says anything in his own (or rather, the player's) defense.

Hideo Kojima confirmed to hate poor people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Would you think I'm trying to kill you if my suggestion for MGS2's Drinking Word was Patriots? I mean, it will only really be a problem for the last 1/4th of the game.

Also can we suggest a drinking phrase? 'cuz I'd swap Patriots for "do you remember what day it is tomorrow?" or the many variations of.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure soldier would kill him. And I'm not even talking about the long conversations where they discuss what it is to be a soldier. The word soldier is just used a helluva lot to discuss gameplay and the like.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still think "Patriots" works. There's really only cause for concern in the last quarter of the game.

And I'm also excited for MGS2. Out of curiosity, it sounds like Grace knows MGS1, but has she played all the games and knows the entire crazy story? I personally love watching first time reactions to MGS2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The accelerated aging thing has been one of the few consistent aspects of Metal Gear Solid. It's part of MGS2 as well.

Everything else in 4 though was just Kojima trying to dig himself out of the hole he buried himself in.

Also I approve of Cam Clarke Appreciation. Everything he says in those last few scenes are glorious, especially his screaming and ARGH's.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Escape
The Best Is Yet To Come

God, even aftr all these years, these songs still hit me so hard. I'll never forget Escape and when Liquid reappeared. "YOU STILL AREN'T DEAD????"

Let's all take a moment to remember everything Liquid Snake survived:
A Hind D crash
Being hit by Stinger missiles
Being inside a giant robot as said robot blew up.
Falling off the top of the giant robot
Being crushed under a car

And yet after all of this he thought he was the inferior one... Liquid, you loving say falling off Rex will kill Snake. Yet it can't kill you. Put 2 and 2 together, buddy.

And of course since Meryl died, the Ocelot call at the end didn't mention Solidus at all.

Also I love the MGS2 credits song. It's so jazzy and fits with how absolutely in love with New York Kojima was at the time.

Anyway, great LP so far. I won't lie, I'm most looking forward to your MGS2 playthrough.

P.S.

Jennifer Hale's British accent might not be the best but it still beats whatever the hell she was doing in Twin Snakes and 4. I love Hale I could only play Mass Effect with FemShep because of this. But the director in TTS and 4 must have told her "NEVER EMOTE. BE AS BORED AS POSSIBLE."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 7, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure they are mentioned like, once or twice every few hours at best. The only example that springs immediately to mind is that Otacon says they are part of what helped create the Colonel.

Nanomachines pre-MGS4 always served kind of background fluff and/or gameplay mechanic purposes. They existed but they weren't the source of EVERYTHING EVER.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think the word "Memes" is actually used in MGS2. If it is, it's very, very rare. Oh the concept is all over the place but I always thought of the game's main theme being Nurture. After all, MGS1 was Nature, dealing heavily with the fact Snake is a clone and if that fact prevents him from being his own person. MGS2 deals with how we are raised (Nurture) and if that absolutely determines who we become.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are so many weird little plotholes in MGS1. Like, you said a bomb shouldn't phase Liquid. But Liquid said that was a loving nuclear bomb.

Only this reminded me of the fact he said the thing was designed to go off when Meryl died. I didn't see Solid "Nuclear Bomb Expert" Snake diffusing it so why didn't it go off?

I'll also never get over the fact Meryl was capped in both her legs and her arm by a sniper rifle a few hours ago....yet she can get up and run and drive no problem.

These things would bug me but then I realize Metal Gear Solid is actually the silliest MGS, even moreso than 3 in my opinion. MGS1 always felt the most like a very intentionally 80s Action B-Movie and unless your movie is Die Hard, 80s action movie means you should turn off your brain. (I know Die Hard came out in 1990 or whatever but it was made in the 80s and feels like an 80s movie)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm really excited for MGS2. I think Grace has played it before but doesn't remember any of it? There's nothing quite like a person going through MGS2 blind and reacting to all the greatness.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Olga is probably my favorite female character in any Metal Gear game. I'm glad to hear you like her as most people kinda forget about her.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's also a lot more maneuverable than Rex, and not just because it can swim.

Ray losing in MGS4 is one of my biggest complaints about MGS4, and not just because I like Ray. It literally makes no sense. Rex got blown up and was rusting with no maintenance whatsoever for years. How the gently caress did it beat anything, let alone a Metal Gear designed to destroy it?

edit:

Really need to get a new keyboard with a fully functional spacebar.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 6, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Otacon has a response for almost every single thing you can take a picture of that's not, like, an empty hallway or out of frame or whatever. Because Kojima.

Because Kojima is the greatest mind of his generation, or any generation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zain posted:

Is there an actual reason he hypnotized himself? Cause that sounds REALLY pointless just to do it for the kicks.

The actual reason he did it was because everyone bitched endlessly about MGS2 back in the day. The chief complaints were:
Raiden
Ocelot's ghost hand
Raiden
The story being too good for dumb babies
Raiden

So Kojima tried to pander to all these haters, which resulted in MGS4. Because hypnotism and making Raiden a cyborg ninja fixed everything, right? It's not like the third game establishes Ocelot had latent psychic/spirit medium powers that could explain how he was possessed, nope. Only nanomachines can explain the ghost arm.

Although, according to a few sources here and there, he was actually possessed during MGS2. Then Ocelot said "gently caress that" and that is why he isn't actually using Liquid's arm in 4. Pretty sure that's only stated in that Metal Gear Database thing but take what you can get.

As for an in-universe reason, he wanted to fool The Patriots. That's it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You're blitzing through the game if you are already passed that part.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

There's a theory on the internet that Kojima never intended the events of MGS2 to be real. They were supposed to have happened in VR, with Raiden being a Guinea pig for the S3. Unfortunately people took umbrage with MGS2 so Kojima had to say "nope it was actually all real" and MGS4 became what it is.

http://metagearsolid.org/reports_vr_theory_1.html

There are many theories and ideas about MGS2, which is why it's my favorite. The game was made to screw with peoples' heads and it did its job perfectly.

Also Rose does start to get a bit...aggressive later on in the story or if you do things like shoot helpless birds or hostages.

But she's also very cute. As you saw, she didn't really bite your head off like Mei Ling did. If anything, Rose seemed a bit amused by Raiden being in the ladies' room.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I have no idea what you're complaining about in the video, Fatman is easily the best villain in MGS2.

He's my favorite Dead Cell member, definitely. Well, unless you count Solidus I guess but I don't usually.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have never fund anything to confirm this but I'm reasonably certain that Rose was supposed to originally think King Kong was climbing the World Trade Center, since Kong does climb it in a remake from the...70s I want to say. But then, ya know 9/11, and now she has to say another building.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to say that, while I also love Cam Clarke, John Cygan is the man and should be in more things. I only know him as Solidus and Canderous from Knights of the Old Republic and he owns in both. He should have voiced Big Boss in MGS4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grace, was that a t.A.T.U reference?

Also the reason Johnson grabbed Raiden's johnson is because he thought Raiden was Olga. Would make a bit more sense if your Raiden didn't have the wig and shades on but oh well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Emma's death is the only MGS death that has ever made me sad. I'm not looking forward to that episode.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mikl posted:

I forget, is Vamp being able to do all that poo poo (walk on water, walk up walls, survive being shot in the head, etc.) ever explained in the games? Is the explaination nanomachines?

They also retcon it so in MGS4 he has the same kind of boots as the FROGs which is supposed to explain the gravity-defying stuff. Of course it doesn't explain the running on water or swimming in zero buoyancy water.

We never got to see it because of the way Dan cheesed the fight but in 2 Vamp can also paralyze you by pinning your shadow with a knife .Explain that with nanomachines, Kojima.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

Oh, good, I'd been listening to him on the videos and hearing people on here say "her" and was uncertain.

Same here. I was certain Grace was a he but everyone kept saying "her" and, well, it be kind of rude to ask so.... M y apologies, Grace.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As far as I'm concerned, Arsenal Gear is the best final area in any MG game.

For one thing, the music.
For another, Arsenal Tengu are awesome.
Third, crazy Colonel.
And then there's a lot more I don't feel like listing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Doesn't sound so bad. He can enjoy the cool music. Some of the best tunes in the series, actually.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I love this sequence so much. It's even better if you actually buy into the AI's justification - they aren't a just a product of a society, they're ideals embodied, formed long before, and thus they neatly fit themselves into evolution.
I wonder how many people who played for the first time were actually fooled by them - thinking not that they're talking into another computer but that there really is some kind of alien/mystic thingamajig at the White House.

Oh, and Fortune's SUDDEN PLOT POWERS may be bullshit but boy, is it an amazing scene. Everything from the darkness, glowy bullets, RAY's demonic gaze, Cam Clarke appearing, it all just slides you further down from sanity and into the surreal landscape that's the AI reveal and final battle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: MGS2's finale is a much better end to the story than MGS4's.

I agree with all of this. I absolutely love the Patriots' AI speech at the end here. It's such a huge mishmash of information, some of it legit and some of it complete BS, that it's clearly intended to leave Raiden - and by extension the player - baffled at what to believe. They do say the best lies are told between truths.

Trivia: According to the official MGS2 script included with The Documents of Metal Gear Solid 2, the AI we're talking to is JFK. JD was an MGS4 thing.
Also "Star-Spangled Banner" was supposed to play for some of this.

I think my favorite part will always be:
Raiden: I'll decide for myself what to believe and what to pass on!

Colonel : But is that even your own idea?

Rose: Or something Snake told you?

Colonel: That's the proof of your incompetence, right there.

Sons of Liberty was such a perfect way to end the series but nope. The MGS Fandom can be summed up like this
MGS comes out...
Fans: THIS WAS AMAZING! WE WANT MORE!
MGS2 comes out...
Fans: THIS SUCKS. YOU BETTER FIX THIS KOJIMA!
MGS3 comes out...
Fans: THIS WAS AMAZING WE WANT MORE!
Kojima: Okay here ya go you motherfuckers. I have wanted to stop making these games forever now but if you are going to threaten to kill me and give me tons of cash, I might as well make another game. Sure, there are questions that were never meant to be answered, plot threads that were never meant to be connected, but gently caress it all. The MGS3 support team were the villains all along! You don't even want to know how far I had to reach up my rear end to come up with that one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I, uh, didn't realize you're part-horse, or whatever that was there.

It sounds more like that dinosaur that spits venom in Jurassic Park, at least to me.

I don't think I want to know what was censored.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought the KGB was disbanded but I haven't paid attention to politics in years so I wasn't sure about potential recent developments.

Also, what's wrong with Huey? Keep in mind I know nothing of PW or MGSV. Don't care, either so spoil away.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Volgin said he was going back to his room because Snake getting his eye shot out got him in the mood and he wanted to have some fun with EVA.

Also The Sorrow is a spirit medium so presumably in life his contribution to the Cobras was how he talked to ghosts and learned things. Maybe dead allies or enemies could give him valuable intel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The 50s War of the Worlds is even less like the book than Spielberg's.

I love me some classic sci-fi but not a fan of that movie. It's all about Them!. I can't recall if you have gotten the Para-Medic talk about that one but it's a great flick and totally holds up.