Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Danaru posted:

MGS2 HD DOES include the Substance VR missions, and we'll probably end up playing a few just because they're pretty fun, but unfortunately I don't own the PS1 VR missions disk :( Which is a shame since they're also fun as hell.

VR Missions is on PSN if you don't mind a digital copy.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/metal-gear-solid-vr-missions-(ps3-psp-ps-vita)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00957_00-0000000000000001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That subscriber talk made me check too, and I have a much better question:

How do you gain a subscriber due to a closed account?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So that's your breaking point, huh. Good to know, I guess?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I suspect the reason the HD version slows down on some specific graphical effects is because no console since the PS2 has had a pixel fillrate even close to that of the Graphics Synthesizer, at the cost of fancy effects taking a ton of passes to render. This makes the PS2 a monster in specific rendering circumstances, which I guess is what these particle effects used, and they may have not been rewritten enough to take full advantage of the PS3's hardware instead.

I have never worked on a PS2 so this is all just guesses, but it makes sense to me reading up on the specs.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 16, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh no.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think Sonic Adventure might be the most janky high-profile game ever made. Sky Deck alone is a complete mess of poorly implemented mechanics and nonsensical level transitions.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Iron Chitlin posted:

I don't know if it's a certain degree of nostalgia, but lately I found myself missing the times when a big budget high profile AAA game could actually be an unpolished mess of ideas and glitches. I dont know, it just seems like the level of polish and homogenized game systems renders most games in the AAA space completely unremarkable.

I'm with you. I can't think of the last non-Nintendo mainstream "AAA" game that actually interested me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sonic Adventure does that really weird thing where the same cutscenes are slightly different depending on which character's story you're playing. I have no idea if it's a clever commentary on unreliable narrators or just pure incompetence, but it's neat either way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Catching up on the episodes and I feel the need to reply to something.

Danaru posted:

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 4 - Bisexual Velociraptor
Grace and I talk about JRPGs for like half the loving episode.

I am a long-time Tales of series fan and I don't like Zestiria, so I figured you might be interested in why. It has nothing to do with the Alicia switcheroo, I don't care about that at all. My main complaint about Zestiria is that battle-system wise it feels like it should be an evolution of Graces, but does everything worse than Graces. It's hard to put a finger on what exactly makes it so much worse but I think that's because it's a combination of many things. The biggest offender here is the Skill system, which is impossible to actually take advantage of without many many hours of grinding equipment drops. In Graces, you just constantly get new Titles and thus skills which makes your characters better and better. In Zestiria, getting a new skill nearly always is a trade-off, and not in a way like most other Tales games where you intentionally get rid of one skill you don't use much to equip another, but an effectively random one because the new equipment just happens to be for the slot that holds equipment with your other skill. The synthesizing doesn't help this much because it's hard to target specific skills, and as soon as you decide to upgrade your equipment you have to start from scratch. I also hate that combo length is now effectively fixed at 4 and increasing that is very hard/rare. Graces rewarded you for doing cool stuff in battle by refreshing your CC mid-combo and allowing you to combo more, Zestiria doesn't care because SC is a resource that rarely makes a difference in anything because it's for some reason separate from the combo length.

I'm clearly rambling so I'll keep myself short on the other stuff. The story goes nowhere, and it doesn't help that Malevolence as a concept is really strange. The characters are fine. The music is great thanks to Go Shiina. They actually have some interesting if perhaps annoying dungeon design for once. But ultimately, none of that can help the fact that I just don't enjoy Zestiria's combat due to constantly being reminded of how much more fun I would have beating up things in Graces.

Oh and you should try Xillia 2. It's weird and it took a while to click for me, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I actually hate the boss fights in this game, but that's probably because I played this game single player (and on a PSP). It really seems like they were designed for co-op.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think you can switch the side you're aiming on, can't you...?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

PSP Peace Walker runs at 20 FPS.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Now that you're past the first ending, do you want some hints about how to unlock some of the more obscure optional content?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Your Sonic R song is a vocaloided version of the main theme of Zone of the Enders 2 and it owns. Well, the original does.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 4, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Danaru posted:

My plan now is to get the footage from Hitbox and just chop it up, the audio quality won't be as good, but I can live with it. Problem now is that Hitbox exports in a lovely format which means I have to fight with conversions. Bottom line is, episodes are gonna be delayed for a bit due to a giant pain in the rear end :froggonk:

Poke me on Discord in a few hours, it is possible to fetch Hitbox recordings in stream quality through some arcane magic.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You should play Bayonetta, Dan.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

SMB3 has the powerup 'healthbar' where you only lose a stage upon hit -- unless you're playing the Japanese release, which reverts you all the way to small always.

They also backported the mechanic into rereleases, such as the GBA version of Mario World.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Gemcrim posted:

I actually played some SMW on the Wii U yesterday with someone, I think there is something weird with the momentum in this version for some reason, that or it's been too long since I played.

Nah the momentum is accurate, but the Wii U VC release has a strangely high amount of input lag, so you have to react to stuff earlier than you would playing on a real SNES on a CRT.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Metal Gear Acid Episode 7 - Philosophy Class

We find Doctor Flemming! And he talks forever.

Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice are both digital-only outside of Japan. The Layton crossover got a physical release, but probably only due to Level 5's involvement with that.

The supposed reason AAI2 never got an official localization is that the dev team split up right after finishing up the Japanese version of AAI2, so they couldn't do any dev work for an English version. It's a rather flimsy reason if you ask me, but whatever, we got a solid fan-translation now.

Also pro tip for Grace: When you boot a DS game on the 3DS, you can hold Start or Select to make the game display in the original DS resolution instead of having it scale up to the 3DS resolution. Makes the image smaller, but much crisper.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The last episode was already 10, this should probably be 11.

e: Update on previous page:

Danaru posted:

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 11 - Drunk American History

Snake Tales takes uh, a couple canon liberties. On the other hand, the Big Shell being a front for uh, that, is a lot simpler than what actually happened.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

pick-e posted:

By the way the PSP-2000 and beyond definitely can charge via usb. Did the original lack that?

It did. You can't charge the PSP-1000 via USB.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Uh, it hasn't happened yet, how could you possibly already have missed it?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'm still watching, but I was pretty busy the last couple weeks so I'm not caught up on everything.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

To clear up a point of confusion I see all the time: All PS3 consoles can play PS1 games off real game discs. It's only PS2 compatibility that is hardware-specific -- and at this point, you're much better off just grabbing a cheap actual PS2 or emulating PS2 on PC than finding a PS3 that can do PS2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You linked to episode 16 instead of 17.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

FYI, the way the Pandora's Battery worked was by exploiting a built-in mechanism for actual Sony support to repair broken software on early PSP hardware. Nowadays it's completely unnecessary as even the newest PSP system software has a software-only exploit; it's enough to just copy a small executable to your memory stick and run that from the XMB, no hardware fuckery or flashing necessary.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also I agree with Benach and disagree with Grace; The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games are cute dungeon crawling gams that really aren't like Etrian Odyssey. The only Etrian game it's similar to is Etrian Mystery Dungeon because, well, both are based on Chunsoft's long-running Mystery Dungeon series. If you have any affection for Pokémon or classic Roguelikes (that is, games actually similar to Rogue, not the modern indie game usage of it) I'd recommend checking out either Explorers of Sky or Super Mystery Dungeon.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

God, what nonsense. I can't believe that's really how they handled Alice.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If you seriously think this is a hard drive failure -- which is entirely plausible considering the freezes combined with delayed data access -- you should do the following as soon as possible to avoid losing data:

- Delete everything off the PS3 that you can't easily recover or redownload. Ideally delete everything except your save files.
- Plug an external hard drive formatted in FAT32 into the PS3. If you don't have an external hard drive in FAT32, format one using this: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm Note this will delete all data on the external hard drive.
- On the PS3, scroll left to Settings -> System Settings -> Backup Utility and select Back Up. Follow the steps. You should now have a backup of your data on the external hard drive.
- Turn the PS3 off, then open the PS3 hard drive bay and swap the hard drive inside with a different one. Don't worry about pre-formatting it or anything.
- Turn the PS3 on again and follow the steps on screen. Depending on your PS3 model you may have to provide the PS3 firmware on an USB device, you can download it here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3/
- After you're back in the PS3 menu, go go Settings -> System Settings -> Backup Utility -> Restore to restore the backup you made previously. This should restore all user accounts as well as save data.

Note that a PC slowing down while installing games is relatively normal if you're installing to the same HDD you're running programs and/or your OS from, so that shouldn't be too big of a worry.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 2, 2018

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ys is a cool series, I enjoy those games (or at least the more modern ones) a lot. It's good you picked up the PS4 version of Ys 8, cause it has a whole lot of improvements and extra content over the Vita version, though supposedly that will all be in the Switch version too. If you enjoy these games I recommend checking out Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys Origin, and/or Ys: Memories of Celceta, too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I just started watching the Twin Snakes and FYI you can fix the codec backgrounds by disabling the 'Store XFB Copies to Texture Only' option in Graphics -> Hacks -> External Frame Buffer, depending on how strong your PC is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Regarding putting your gun down without shooting, you can do that in this version by pressing and holding Y while aiming and then letting go of A while still holding Y. It's really awkward and it's clear they ran out of buttons on the Gamecube controller (see also Start+A for Codec) but that's how you do it.

And no, the Gamecube did not have pressure-sensitive buttons.