Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

White Coke posted:

It looks like LaLiLuLeLo is MGS3's liver failure option since Ocelot is never not a dork.

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903rHq8N3uU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
LaLiLuLeLo is not getting nearly enough love.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I was really hoping for Grace and Dan doing a duet singalong to Way to Fall :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I'm assuming that particular manifestation in paranoia was pretty well-grounded in reality, given the amount of high-ranked SIS people who turned out to be Soviet spies. I don't think the Americans had anyone like Burgess, Maclean, Philby and Blunt?

I don't know of any single network that was recruited in college and sought state employment for the sole purpose of feeding intelligence to the Soviets like the Cambridge Five, but Ames and Hanssen were quite effective in gutting CIA and FBI activities related to the Soviet Union.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Catching up on Peace Walker (by which I mean just starting it) now. Dan's weird opinions on Russian continue to be great. "What's up with Js by the why--like in Russian they're pronounced like Y... No uh... Maybe... I don't remember."

This sort of makes sense. Russian doesn't have Js or even a character that resembles a J in their alphabet. English loanwords/names with a J get converted to Дж, e.g. James > Джеймс/Dzheyms. This actually makes a decent amount of sense as the typical English consonant J is indeed /d͡ʒ/, which is close enough to /dʐ/.

Polish does have Js that correspond to /j/, but that is somewhat confusingly the IPA for a palatal approximate (i.e. the y in English "you") rather than the voiced palato-alveolar sibilant affricate /d͡ʒ/ ("j" as in "jump"). It also has Ys that correspond to a vowel (ы) in Russian that does not exist as a common phoneme in most English dialects.

Russian does have Ьs everywhere, which resembles an English/Latin lowercase B, but actually sounds like an English consonant Y, albeit not pronounced, as it can only be used to modify another consonant, when the consonant needs to be pronounced as if it preceded a palatalizing vowel. The IPA for this is, of course, / ʲ/. Much of this stems from Slavic languages' various evolutionary paths from Old Church Slavonic ъ (ѥръ, jerŭ) and ь (ѥрь, jerĭ), which of course are sort of y/j sounds depending on a lot of things.

tl;dr is that as ridiculous as the whole language parasite plot element was in TPP, it actually sort of makes sense if you try to wrap your brain around whatever the gently caress Kojima was trying to get at/has been trying to get at. But don't try to wrap your brain around Kojima logic, it will hurt. Patrjots.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Yack, jou're gryayt(j)!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Danaru posted:

Also 5 will mark our return to the drinking game

What do you drink for in 5? Every time Kojima's name shows up?

Also isn't 4 next or are you just putting that off as long as possiblesaving the best for last?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

pick-e posted:

Darn finnicky viewers. Worse comes to worse I'll just have to pull it off the backlog and play it myself... some day.

Where does Rising come in then, and is Grace still pretty much blind in regards to it?

:nono: Rising is a Solid, just Metal Gear

(So maybe a stream someday, with Grace playing.)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Danaru posted:

It mostly comes down to whether or not I have to censor stuff :colbert:

Well, you never have to.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Dan sassing Grace is the best.

Nah, Grace drunkenly biting Dan.

The side ops are really turning the gay up a notch.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Grace posted:

raw unedited footage because dan couldn't be assed to install premier on my computer :v:

Danaru posted:

Also I get bit in this episode more than I usually do.

Hey you might notice a sudden cut around the five minute thirty seconds mark you guys should ask Grace about that

What horrible things are you doing to that poor man.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

New thread title: Speak Kikongo? Not for long-go!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

What we need are more Ghost Babel streams.

5 glorious straight minutes of shooting missiles down the same hallway.

Besides, previous LP experience tells me that a large group of drunk people yelling over MGS4 cutscenes improves them greatly.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Going through cassette videos: for what it's worth, Farming Simulator, while unlisted, is still online, and is the most wonderful thing I've extracted from my Firefox browser history. TRACTORS ON ROADS BITCH, IM THE GANDHI OF THIS CLUB.

Dan I apologize for resurfacing your unpleasant memories.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I learned something about Canadian history, I think.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

All I want is for you to get through MGS4.

Also some other 2D game that you can stream as wonderfully as Ghost Babel.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

How is that frog real.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

If only there was an MGS2 remake, so you could do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJgBVZmS5g&t=400s again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

8 inches of polygons makes me try to remember the last time we heard panda chittering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

necroing this thread to say that the old mgs2 and substance LPs have been even more of a treasure for me than usual, as i currently have an eye injury and can enjoy them quite well with audio only, between having watched mgs2 so many times that i just know more or less what the visuals should look like without actually seeing them and not really needing to see substance anyway beyond the picture of pinkie chan, which lives rent-free in my head forever already