Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
MGS runs are entertaining, but turning this into a drinking game is gonna be even better.

Looking forward to the ensuing madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

chitoryu12 posted:

In all honesty, Metal Gear Solid hasn't aged that badly for a PS1 game. Obviously it looks terrible by our standards, but the cinematic presentation in the cutscenes and the music still hold up. Likewise, MGS2 and 3 have way better presentation and graphics than a lot of competing games around their time.
Only game from that time that I feel outdoes it in cinematic production is Vagrant Story, and that game had no voice acting (but at least there was facial animation and a better translation than most Square games on that system).

I feel that I've gained more appreciation for the first MGS as time went on. At the time that I first played it I found the actual gameplay too simplistic for what I wanted out of a stealth game, which was something that later entries rectified. But there's still a lot of attention to detail even in this game.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Considering I played the game in the winter of 2009 or so, a lot of the weird poo poo that people talked about with MGS I had absorbed through osmosis and pretty much knew what was required with the "code on the back of the case" deal.

Funny thing, the reason for why I started playing the game then was that I was taking Biology in high school and we were talking about genetics, and like everything else in this series, the theme of "genes" in MGS1 was something I had heard about and decided to give it a shot based on that. Was especially hilarious when Liquid started talking it up near the end despite getting the idea of dominant and recessive genes loving wrong.

But hey, could have been worse. I could have played Parasite Eve instead...

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

CJacobs posted:

All this time I thought its first use was in the watergate scandal :stonk:
This is what I always assumed it to be as well. Hell, this game was actually the first time I heard ANYTHING about the name Deepthroat or the Watergate scandal, before actually learning what the hell it was a year later in an American History course.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Even as a non alcoholic, I am still greatly intrigued by any discussion about different kinds of beer.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I'm the kind of person that openly embraces the dumb bullshit of MGS4 and the games after it for what it's worth mainly because I never was THAT invested in where the plot or the universe was going. I was always more excited at seeing where Hideo Kojima's Wild Ride would head next, plausibility be damned.

That said, even with the gameplay advances in 4 I still found MGS3 the better title mechanics wise because stealth was still a requirement and you couldn't completely circumvent it by going guns blazing all the time. Yeah, there's still some incentive for being sneaky, but not really much of a meaningful penalty to going full action instead.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Choco1980 posted:

I feel like a failure because when I finally went out to get all the dog tags instead of just go through on easy exploring the game, I couldn't be the hind on Hard difficulty. drat thing wouldn't stop firing the machine gun long enough for me to get a shot in.
I got stopped by Olga on Extreme in MGS2 when I tried going for all the dog tags in the tanker chapter. The thing that hit me hard about it and kind of resent the game now for is how little the game's challenge increases during stealth as it does during the bosses. It's still the same easy line of sight poo poo with a radar to show you the map layout and enemy movements, but the moment you get into a mandatory fight with someone you just get wrecked within two hits.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

mateo360 posted:

Were giving him ideas, not trying to kill him.
At this point, they're basically suggesting to drink for every time any character says anything.

Which would basically result in alcohol poisoning before the first cutscene even finishes.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Zain posted:

I don't think I can follow this LP anymore. Crows and Ravens are awesome! Such Avian racism here. :( It's so sad.
The only birds that deserves to be shat on are Canadian Geese.

gently caress those assholes.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

pick-e posted:

Been since MGS4's launch since I've seen the game so I've forgotten, is the aging thing due to FoxDie, being a clone, or nanomachines?
Him being a clone is what causes the aging as that feature was programmed into him and all the other Sons of Big Boss. FoxDie was just mutating into a new strain of virus on its own, and the nanomachines did whatever the plot demanded because loving nanomachines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Schubalts posted:

Truly, Liquid is the best son.
Well he did survive a Hind D crash...and a partially exploding mech he was piloting...and falling off the top of said mech after a fist fight.

Standing in the blast zone of a bomb would definitely not phase him in the slightest.