Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

krushgroove posted:

OATH ACCEPTED!
Good luck! You have just a few hours left!

So, I wasn't thinking about how it was the end of the month. I guess I should have waited one day., I dind't finish, so I guess that means I failed? :P (Not that failure is a huge deal)

I only got as far as hair, faces and horse-hide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Foolster41 posted:

So, I wasn't thinking about how it was the end of the month. I guess I should have waited one day., I dind't finish, so I guess that means I failed? :P (Not that failure is a huge deal)

I only got as far as hair, faces and horse-hide

Technically yes it's an Oath Failed, and because the new thread has started, you can't do a Save Da Whales (which is a goon contest for finishing failed Oaths) - you kind of jumped in at a bad time really but feel free to jump into the new thread with another model! You can also do the Rescue Me Achievement, which basically allows you to start an Oath with a part-painted model - and you get an extra point for it!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: January Judgments! :siren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Arson Fire

You did a great job giving these guys a gritty look. Their consistently muted tones go well with the mat that you've got them on.

Second Place, 2 Points: Master Slowpoke

These are solid overall, and the shading on the flesh really brings out the detail of the sculpt.

First Place, 3 Points: Schmetterling

You have a great cool palette on this model. The different materials and flesh are all well differentiated despite using only blues.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Dr. Gargunza

This looks amazing. The ice and snow are especially well done.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just a quick heads up, my KR case from the competition earlier this season just showed up, so I guess everyone will have theirs soon?

Many thanks again to KR for being a great sponsor and to Krush for doing all the sponsor chasing!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Zark the Damned posted:

Just a quick heads up, my KR case from the competition earlier this season just showed up, so I guess everyone will have theirs soon?

Many thanks again to KR for being a great sponsor and to Krush for doing all the sponsor chasing!

Awesome! They sent out the Aquila 2 case instead of the Aquila 1, lucky for you guys the 1 was out of stock! I think the main difference is that the 2 holds the thicker foam trays, the ones that are 1/3 the thickness of a normal KR card case, the 1 holds the 1/4 thickness foam trays. I use my Aquila 1 to hold cards, templates, tokens and other things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Since this season is over, please whoever is now handling the spreadsheet: tally up one entry per Whales'd oath and do a random draw? You can do it at the same time as the yearlong/season end prizes and the April prizes if you want.

krushgroove, email or PM me when that happens, so I don't miss it. I do have this thread bookmarked but I have four pages of bookmarked threads so I might go for a while before I noticed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looking through the Saved Whales, we have 4 confirmed entrants:

Weirdo,
Mugaaz,
NTRabbit,
Lord Hypnostache

The Sisko Oathed some Whale Saving back in August - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717315&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post448527912 - but I can't find the Completed pics for these. Did they get done?

Has anyone been missed?

If I don't hear back before Sunday I'll assume we only have the 4 mentioned above and randomise a winner.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Zark the Damned posted:

Weirdo,
Mugaaz,
NTRabbit,
Lord Hypnostache

The Sisko Oathed some Whale Saving back in August - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717315&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post448527912 - but I can't find the Completed pics for these. Did they get done?

Has anyone been missed?

If I don't hear back before Sunday I'll assume we only have the 4 mentioned above and randomise a winner.

That's because I have none. Thanks for the reminder though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just wanted to report that my KR Multicase arrived! I'm really looking forward to transporting additional models safely!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Weirdo,
Mugaaz,
NTRabbit,
Lord Hypnostache

I like those odds!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sorry for the delay, I ended up being out later than planned yesterday!

I copied lovestick's method for rolling, hope that's OK.

Anyway, the roll for Save Da Whales came out in favour of Mugaaz - I'm sure Leperflesh will be in touch to discuss getting you your prize.

http://orokos.com/roll/400568

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am here!

Mugaaz, congratulations! The prize for saving the Whales is your choice of a selection of old miniatures, which I will assemble for you, or a US$25 gift cert to the online retailer of your choice. Please get in touch with me via PMs or email (my user name at gmail.com).

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:horse:JANUARY JUDGEMENTS:horse:

3rd place (1 point) - Gareth Gobulcoque

This scheme looks great! It is elegant and magical feeling. The scales on the back have an amazing shimmery look to them, I wondered if it was iridescent paint or something. The way the inner ear is slightly pinker than the skin shading is cool and completely adorable.

2nd place (2 points) - R.S. Gumby

These guys are fantastic. They gleam very appropriately, and their heraldry is all of great bold colors, and so crisp! The squire musician’s slightly more drab colors are a nice touch too, and I love the addition of the halved breastplate on the guy drawing his sword in front, it’s really quite a small area but it totally pulls him together.

1st place (3 points) - Zark the Damned

This fella’s scheme caught my eye and really stuck in my head while I was eating a baked potato just now. I think your experiment is absolutely successful, I got a ghostly vibe before I even saw the group shot which only helps cement it. Your restraint with color is really paying off, the subtlety between the various tones is lovely, and you’ve still managed to preserve some nice deep contrast in the shading without losing the ghostly glow.

Theme challenge point - Indolent Bastard

I reckon this is my favorite application of snow, it captures a more realistic snowy feel that is kinda dirty and half-melted. It gives the model more character too, since you can imagine how damp this poor, cold sniper is getting out here in the field. Wet socks and everything. I should also mention the camo is really nice too, great shapes!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I am here!

Mugaaz, congratulations! The prize for saving the Whales is your choice of a selection of old miniatures, which I will assemble for you, or a US$25 gift cert to the online retailer of your choice. Please get in touch with me via PMs or email (my user name at gmail.com).

I haven not heard from Mugaaz at all, and he or she does not have PMs enabled. Coordinators, if any of you have contact info for him/her, could you please send a ping?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I haven not heard from Mugaaz at all, and he or she does not have PMs enabled. Coordinators, if any of you have contact info for him/her, could you please send a ping?

I dropped a message in one of the other threads they post in, maybe a friendly mod could send an email on our behalf?

Monoliths posted:

1st place (3 points) - Zark the Damned

This fella’s scheme caught my eye and really stuck in my head while I was eating a baked potato just now. I think your experiment is absolutely successful, I got a ghostly vibe before I even saw the group shot which only helps cement it. Your restraint with color is really paying off, the subtlety between the various tones is lovely, and you’ve still managed to preserve some nice deep contrast in the shading without losing the ghostly glow.

I'm incredibly stoked, thank you! Glad the ghost effect is working for someone :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it worked, Zark: I got a message from Mugaaz.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Red Shoe posted:

First Place, 3 Points: Schmetterling

You have a great cool palette on this model. The different materials and flesh are all well differentiated despite using only blues.

Thank you very much! :yayclod:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren:February Judging!:siren:

Third Place: WhiteOutMouse, 1pt

I love the bold choice of colors. It really makes them stand out while making them look gross!

Second Place: Gareth Gobulcoque, 2pts

The color choices compliment each other very well, and the highlighting on them is nothing short of masterful.

First Place: MasterSlowPoke, 3pts

Not only did you manage to actually paint one of those giant thrones, you also did it exceptionally well! Tying it in with Hocus Pocus made my day too, and seems like such a natural fit.

Bonus Point: Germ, 1pt

Something about the front of that just made me giggle like an idiot.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:wooper::wooper:A FEBRUARY OF JUDGEMENT:wooper::wooper:

Third place (1 point) - Uroboros

These are great examples of your ultra (:v:) clean style, which is definitely still very successful on models with curved surfaces. Really crisp edge highlighting, and it looks like there might be some tiny text on them, which is excellent. You’re very nicely representing the classic chaplain model too, and he fits in with the other guys just fine even though his bling is significantly more copious.

Second place (2 points) - SRM

Splendid! Looking at these just promises me you had fun working on them. It’s cool to look them over and take in all the special handling of different areas, from the verdigris plates, to the camouflage, to the bullet magazine.. thingy.. I have no idea what it’s called, whatever holds the bullets together, it’s a good color on an often overlooked detail. The placement of all your different color fields is really well-considered, and they’re all looking snazzy!

First place (3 points) - MasterSlowPoke

Wow, impressive haul this month. I like your take on the skellyboat, it has a comic-booky feel that fits the model really well, as it is crazy as hell. The vampire ladies are great, it’s a perfect homage (and the mis-photographed face is pretty hilarious, I’m sure it’s fine in person). Your squad of gribbly speardudes is also excellent, the orange and blue are playing so well with each other it’s easy to give them full credit, but I think it’s the grey flesh that really ties the room together for me.

Technical/theme point - Jadebullet

Good work getting both the technical and theme elements in there! The caked-up blood is wonderful. He’s clearly been hacking all day and night, and totally didn’t even clean it off on a fern frond or anything. I also really like the high-contrast mask and cool swampy base.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mugaaz selected the $25 gift certificate option for his Saving da Whales prize, and he picked Miniature Market as the vendor. Congrats again to this year's winner, and thanks to everyone who went to the effort of saving their poor lost whales. :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Monoliths posted:

:horse:JANUARY JUDGEMENTS:horse:

Theme challenge point - Indolent Bastard

I reckon this is my favorite application of snow, it captures a more realistic snowy feel that is kinda dirty and half-melted. It gives the model more character too, since you can imagine how damp this poor, cold sniper is getting out here in the field. Wet socks and everything. I should also mention the camo is really nice too, great shapes!

Thanks! I love the little boost this thread gives me from time to time, it really brightens up my day.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Monoliths posted:

Technical/theme point - Jadebullet

Good work getting both the technical and theme elements in there! The caked-up blood is wonderful. He’s clearly been hacking all day and night, and totally didn’t even clean it off on a fern frond or anything. I also really like the high-contrast mask and cool swampy base.

Awesome! Thanks. This has definitely made my day.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Red Shoe posted:

Jurnal, 1 Point: Dr. Gargunza

This looks amazing. The ice and snow are especially well done.

And here I didn't think anything could cheer me up today. :unsmith: Thanks, Red Shoe!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Monoliths posted:

Third place (1 point) - Uroboros

These are great examples of your ultra (:v:) clean style, which is definitely still very successful on models with curved surfaces. Really crisp edge highlighting, and it looks like there might be some tiny text on them, which is excellent. You’re very nicely representing the classic chaplain model too, and he fits in with the other guys just fine even though his bling is significantly more copious.

Thanks, getting a few points here and there makes my day especially when compared to some of the real artists like Germ and Arson Fire. Ultramarines likely will occupy my paint schedule for another year, so I hope you guys like more of them.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: February Judgments! :siren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Uroboros

Excellent shading and highlighting on the chaplain. You're really bringing out the contours of the model with only a couple colors per feature.

Second Place, 2 Points: Dr. Gargunza

This orc's musculature is well shaded but maintains a bright, vivid look.

First Place, 3 Points: Germ

Both the color choices and the placement of the highlights really make this model pop. Well done all around.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Signal

The look on this guy's face pairs excellently with a bloody knife.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Welp I guess I need to get the March and April albums ready! I'll post links ASAP and give everyone a few days to let me know if their Oaths are missing before sending the links to the Judges.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Monoliths posted:

Second place (2 points) - SRM

Splendid! Looking at these just promises me you had fun working on them. It’s cool to look them over and take in all the special handling of different areas, from the verdigris plates, to the camouflage, to the bullet magazine.. thingy.. I have no idea what it’s called, whatever holds the bullets together, it’s a good color on an often overlooked detail. The placement of all your different color fields is really well-considered, and they’re all looking snazzy!

Thank you! I had a lot of fun hashing out all the Meganobz, and it was a challenge to mix their colors and patterns while still making them look fairly consistent.

PS: judgment time is my favorite time in my thread, I love seeing people critique paintjobs and show off some of the cooler models from the month.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I got a package! Thank you KR Multicase :D I enjoyed painting my case, and I will enjoy using this prize :yayclod:

It's blue!

And came with two M4H trays!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa is that a laptop bag with foam in it? Neat, didn't know they made those.

Never posted oaths before but I decided to work on a Sigmarine from the hit game age of sigmar for a painting contest due by the end of this month. Is there a contest going on this month? I see only prize posts and points being awarded.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
We're all doing stuff over in the 7th season thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774261.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Red Shoe posted:

Second Place, 2 Points: Dr. Gargunza

This orc's musculature is well shaded but maintains a bright, vivid look.

Thanks! I think I worked out my favorite recipe for Ork skin on this guy: shade or base with Reaper Forest Green (or Christmas Wreath Green if you ordered from them during the holidays); VGC Escorpena Green as mid-tone; highlight with VGA Light Livery Green; wash with thinned GW Biel-tan Green; optional/spot glazing of GW Waywatcher Green as desired. It gives you a nice, bright green that gets up to tennis-ball intensity on the highlights while giving you great contrast in the shadows.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I placed an order with TTcombat yesterday and dropped them a note to say thanks for the sponsorship. They replied back saying that they are sending Krushgroove some stuff this week. Thought I'd share. ;)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Red Shoe posted:

Jurnal, 1 Point: Signal

The look on this guy's face pairs excellently with a bloody knife.

Thanks man!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Comlete

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

counterspin posted:

Oath Comlete

Wrong thread, you want season 7

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

So how many months of judging are left to do?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Schmetterling posted:

So how many months of judging are left to do?

Unless I missed something, March and April are left to do.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll be collecting the March and April pics together today, I wanted to get it done last week before going away for work last weekend but just didn't have the time.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Season 6 update, finally!

March album is here!
Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/8XyYi
Google Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/uSeiwJ6wMVMY5HBN9

April album:
Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/JiSxC
Google Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/Rk4JPrwjYPU5Lpt89

I will post these links in both the Season 6 and Season 7 threads so there's ample opportunity to let me know if I missed anyone's Oath Complete photos. I'll send the links to the Judges by this weekend, so check for your COMPLETED Oaths for these months!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Krushgroove, how's it going with the prize drawings? I need some new brushes so I'd like to win some :)

• Locked thread