Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
R.S. Gumby oaths 31 bedouins (a 15mm army for DBA, by Essex)

Hi oath thread! I haven't been painting much lately, so to remedy this I'll throw paint at a DBA army. For those familiar with the game, it's I/6c Early Bedouin, and just 12 stands as the army lacks options. But it has camels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Oath complete!

One small army of Early Bedouins! Easiest army I've ever painted. Very few colours or details made it a breeze to paint. The camp was included in the picture because every army should have one, but it was made earlier for another army and not part of the oath. I didn't do any challenge, these dudes predate christmas.

This was faster than I expected. What the hell do I do now until next month?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Well, you can always do an oath addition; as long as you finish the addition before the deadline, it'll count for the month! (I missed your initial post; are these Bedouins for a particular game? Nice work!)

Nah, with the holidays coming it's probably good to have it done early. I'll paint something random til next month rolls around.
Yes, the Bedouins are for a game called DBA, a very simple small scale wargame covering pretty much any historical army up until the gunpowder age. You play with 12 stands, but an army can be larger if they have optional troops to choose from. This army doesn't, so it's a complete army.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
R.S. Gumby oaths a small army of Libyan Egyptians, 31 models by Essex, in 15mm scale, and
Medieval Dismounted Knights, 20 models, by Corvus Belli, 15mm scale.

At the top there is a small army of Libyan Egyptians for DBA. 12 stands, no options. I might do a little write-up on them when they're done. They're a historic enemy of the guys I did last month, the Bedouins. Also, they have one of my favorite troop types: horse-tanks. Or chariots.
Below are 20 knights on foot (5 stands) for use with my european medievals.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Oath complete!

First up, an army for DBA; I/38 Libyan Egyptians. This is a complete army, as it has no options. The camp was made earlier and not part of the oath. I included it because every army should have one.
This army is meant to cover the period 946-712 BC. Before this, a weakening Egypt had been using tribes of Libyans as mercenaries in exchange for settler rights. As Egypt broke up during the reign of Ramesses IX, many more Libyans moved into Egypt and eventually a chieftain called Shoshenq declared himself pharaoh of Northern Egypt. Three Libyan dynasties would follow. They fought the Kushites over control of Southern Egypt, but eventually lost all, and Libyan rule of Egypt ended.

And here's 5 stands of medieval knights, useful for a lot of western European medieval armies.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
R.S. Gumby oaths a tiny DBA army of Gepids; 32 models, 15mm scale, by WestWind Productions

I'll continue painting DBA armies. This time it's Gepids. There's 4 stands of cavalry, 4 stands of spears and 2 skirmishers. Not quite a complete army, only because I have already painted some skirmishers.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Oath complete!

I didn't think I'd get these done in time, because I put off getting started too long, and then other stuff got in the way leaving me no time to paint. If there hadn't been a february 29th, I'd have failed. I'm not that happy with them, and I might at least redo their shields some day. They'll do for now though.

Anyway, this is most of a II/71 Gepid army for DBA. They were a Germanic people that migrated south from Scandinavia around the 3rd century AD, and ended up fighting for the Goths and later the Huns. When the Huns were defeated, the Gepids briefly held onto a kingdom of their own, which fell in 567.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
R.S. Gumby would like to oath another small DBA army: the Alan, 24 models by Forged in Battle, 15 mm scale, plus their camp.

So, I'm continuing to paint figures for DBA. This time it's for a rather silly army: II/58 Alan.
It is one of few armies that can be played with only one troop type (in this case Light Horse), so that's what I'll paint; 12 units of Light Horse. The army does have other options, but should mix well with the Gepids painted last month, so I can use them for the optional troops. Good thing, because an army of only Light Horse is probably terrible.

I'm also making a camp for them. A semi-permanent stockade camp of sorts, I guess.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Oath complete!

Here's my Alan DBA army; 12 stands of Light Horse, plus a camp. A fun/terrible army. Fun as in they can be played as 12 Light Horse and they have probably more historical enemies than anyone else, and terrible as in they can be played as 12 Light Horse.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
R.S. Gumby oaths yet another army for DBA; this time it's Palmyrans. 47 models, by Essex Miniatures, 15mm scale.

This is enough models to make a complete army of Palmyra (II/74a) for DBA, covering the brief period during the 3rd century that they tried to fight off the Romans. It did not work out well. Recently they've been in the news though, as IS was just driven out of the area, but not before destroying much of Palmyra's ruins. Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Oath complete!

Here's my Palmyran army for DBA:

This was a fun army to paint, and I'm quite tempted to expand this army to let me play the later Palmyrans. This is the early list, while Palmyra was still a Roman province. I'd need a couple more stands of Cataphracts (the tank horses) to field the later Palmyrans, but it would give me a chance to have Queen Zenobia on her camel as a general which would be kinda cool, since women in command are pretty rare.

• Locked thread