Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:megaman::megaman:MAY JUDGEMENT:megaman::megaman:

1 Point - Moths

A lovely tank! Your details are nice and clean, it is quite true, and that is a really great camo scheme. I'm not sure if it has historical context, but I like the concept regardless. The colors mingle well with each other, even the grey stripes between the major color fields. The highlights bring out the shapes of the model but manage to retain the natural look which helps make the camo pattern believable.

2 Points - MasterSlowPoke

I'm very much digging on your gratuitous use of contrasting red and green. The combination with the silvery white and gold is regal and splendid. It's a versatile enough scheme that you don't need a lot of supporting accent colors, which makes it a great choice for these necrons. I think these are both conversions, too, and they work really well. It's good to see the old 'cron models looking scary.

3 Points - Lazy Angel

Lots to love in here. Your reproduction of the color schemes illustrated on the cards is spot-on. The details have an excellent crispness, though many of the creatures read a little softer which is really satisfying. Particularly the dragon's face is very nice. Furthermore, you have painted a little model cat like an actual cat from life and that is pretty rad in my book.

Technical Challenge Point - Gareth Gobulcoque

It was tough, but I think this is my favorite yellow this month. It's so deep and warm. The highlights don't get incredibly bright or even completely saturated, helping the other details step out. The dark reddish, almost purple shading suggests a sort of hazy evening light, which suits the model perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:ducksiren: JUNE-DGMENT :ducksiren:

1 Point - Uroboros

Those are some great looking assassins, especially this bad mofo. It can be said that black, white, and red are all difficult colors to work with, and they're all represented really nicely here. I like the shading on the skull, looks like grey with a very slight touch of green? Very skully, works great. The highlights on the black suit and red armor is nice and smooth, and achieve just the right amount of contrast with the base tones. I also enjoy how subdued the base is, it works well considering the dynamic pose.

2 Points - Gareth Gobulcoque

This cool experiment is definitely worth some attention. The inked-looking shading is pretty sweet! I can see how it must be tricky, especially on something like wide expanses of cloth that would need a smooth gradient of some kind. This fella sells the look very well, and the boldness of the colors certainly help out the graphic feel of the shading. Your other entries this month are great, too, I can't overlook the surfing skelly in particular. The flat but bright colors of the board perfectly remind of pro swim gear.

3 Points - Germ

These modular terrain pieces are an absolute joy. It's very impressive how versatile they can be with a few different terrain types to switch between. I like the option of leaving the slots unfilled, to expose more of the stagnant water, or filling them with a simple low-profile slab. These kinds of options, and a generally sensible approach to the variation of angles in the stonework, makes it look like these are very functional in-game. Also I shouldn't let those warp spiders go unmentioned, as they are rocking a great and simple scheme. The reflections on their backpacks are very tasty.

Technical Challenge Point - Dr. Gargunza

The cocktail umbrella is hilarious. I love how experimental this all is, from the greenstuffing to the painted shadows to the ice cooler. That's some solid casting work for sure, I don't see any of these alleged imperfections from here. The ice looks super refreshing, and makes me want to grab a similarly green-tinted bottle from my own fridge. In fact, why don't I just do that. Cheers!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:parrot:JUDGE JULY:parrot:

1 Point - Ugleb

I'm pretty sure that's a tiny Liam Neeson, and that's wonderful all by itself, but you've done a great job painting him and his buddies. His chin looks a little stubbly, even at a distance, which means he's probably been kicking rear end at least all day long. The league of shadows fellas are suitably ninja-y in their subdued grey-blue suits, very sensible. I certainly can't overlook the heroes, who are both very well represented in their classic colors. They're immediately recognizable, which is further helped by the crisp and graphic shading.

2 Points - WhiteOutMouse

A cool selection this month! It's always a pleasure to see such a committed night lord scheme, it's a great look for the maulerfiend. I'm really enjoying the objective markers, the components are well picked, the idol in particular is perfect for such purposes. Their scheme is simple but well executed, and hangs well with the big guy. Also it's fun to try and rationalize that these evil warriors have badass ceremonial armor stands for when they just feel like lounging about the doom fortress in a daemonbound onesie or something.

3 Points - Arson Fire

This thing is just spectacular. The most immediately grabbing thing is, of course, the gradient across the plates. The blue is strong and consistent in saturation all throughout the spectrum, which is distributed really evenly over difficult, wide expanses. Your red steps back a little from the spotlight but doesn't lose any depth, and the detail colors are each chosen well given their roles on the model. drat fine work!

Technical Challenge Point - Germ

Falling a little loosely under "create a banner for your troops to rally around," I feel I should give you this month's theme bonus for actually making a life-size banner for real people to rally around. The image is hilarious, the text is well-placed, and the overall design is attractive, legible, and sturdy-looking. May your enemies behold and tremble before the glassy-eyed stare!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:havlat::havlat::havlat:AUGUST JUDGEMENT:havlat::havlat::havlat:

1 Point: Electric Hobo

Your actual lighting in this shot is lovely, it is true, but it only works so well because of the painted lighting effect. The rocks on the back wall are my favorite, they are fully tangible, exaggerating the depth of the sculpt in a natural way. Our adventurer friend is looking pretty sharp too, the dark shadows make the bright saturation of his clothes really eye-catching.

2 Points: SRM

This is an absolutely iconic model and it’s very satisfying to see your handling of it. Every detail looks great, and the colors are well distributed between each. The somewhat cheeky (narrative-forging?) addition of the shield I think ties him into the deathwing aesthetic nicely, as well as the little icon on his back which is so crisp, good god man how that is crisp.

3 Points: Bavius

Grand to behold! A really inventive ork scheme, for some reason I am really enjoying the deep blood red of the various lenses next to the faded pinkish red paint on the armor. It’s daring and totally works. The various camouflages across the armor are wonderful, the blue and green sit nicely next to each other. I wish I had some closeups, the graffiti and number markings look great even from a distance.

Technical Challenge Point: Schmetterling

This series has an amazing graphic look that just kills me. It’s pretty cool how on one side they have a high-contrast monochromatic light show, and on the other the full scheme is legible and not muddied by shadow. Like the light is being cast in an already well-lit environment, which isn’t a look often approached.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:refurb:SEPTEMBER JUDGEMENTS:refurb:

3rd place (1 Point) - Indolent Bastard

Very soul-warming to see this wealth of great looking terrain. It’s definitely worth the effort, these pieces are straightforward and super tasteful, the kind of thing that can be happily used for just about any game. Also that might be the best paint I’ve seen on one of those plastic city ruin corner thingies, I’m only slightly embarrassed to say mine are simply drybrushed grey.

2nd place (2 points) - LazyAngel

Very eye-catching. I love the combination of turquoise and warm silver. The weathering on the tank treads is really nice, and great detail all on the models generally. You are such a tease with that orange-yellow. It’s brilliant and I want to see it everywhere, but you know better. You say hush now, that is a special color.

1st place (3 points) - Ledgem

These are all fantastic. The attention to texture might be my favorite part. The surfaces are all tangible, from the jaggedy bone scythe to the soft toad belly. In fact, the toad in particular looks excellent, great handling of the murky browns.

Theme bonus point - Ledgem

While we’re at it, all your theme entries are very nice! The colors choices are great, faithful to the source material but also in keeping with each other. Again, that toad is absolutely captivating. So very, very captivating…

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:hb::hb:OCTOBER JUDGEMENT:hb::hb:

3rd place (1point) - Moths

Gotta say I do like the Haley collection quite a bit, and that medusa banner is pretty wonderful, but just look how evil this bastard looks. Particularly the eyes, a great choice of color next to the skin, it makes him look slightly sickened which makes the creepy smile even creepier. The metallic purple armor is also a treat.

2nd place (2 points) - SRM

Job’s a good ‘un. This is one of those conversions that’s greater than the sum of it’s parts. After careful scrutiny the looted elements can be discerned by those with diverse bits-boxes, but the combination is something that immediately reads as a unique silhouette. The paint suits the character perfectly, of course, delivering the requisite oily grime (and slush) alongside enthusiastically mismatched camo.

1st place (3 points) - Germ

I absolutely have to give credit to this color scheme, as these bikes are my favorite use of it yet. Such a limited palette that has so much to say, I feel it’s practically needless to mention how well balanced the colors are. In particular my attention is drawn to the crisp strokes along the canopies and the highlighting of the helmets, which both imply a sort of tinted reflectivity.

Bonus theme point - Dr. Gargunza

Well done, this is as epic as the subject matter. Great use of the whole spectrum, your palette is very consistent throughout. The fade to black at the base adds a nice touch of class too.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:shittypop:NOVEMBER JUDGEMENTS:shittypop:

3rd place (1 point) - Galaspar

A totally cool subject for a conversion. I like the chipping on the armor, it looks really in-scale, like actual tiny plastic-man-sized debris has been flying at him all day. His face is wonderfully disgruntled, and that skull on the shoulder is excellent too.

2nd place (2 points) - Gareth Gobulcoque

Goodness gracious, that is some quality blending on the cloak of this chap. The rich mauve (yeah I’m gonna go ahead and call it mauve) color is certainly my favorite element of this model, but the rest is not to be dismissed. The same great handling can be seen on the contrasting tan robe, and the choices of where to place the most saturated colors is definitely well-considered.

1st place (3 points) - Arson Fire

This thingy is the business. A classic scheme, but very well executed. The ever-so-slightly greenish ochre of the wings looks so nice next to the vivid red and blue, which is a feat all by itself. The wing color also works to unite the various accent colors, since they all share some element of the palette with it. Furthermore, the deep brown shading ties in great with the base, which in turn takes a muted, realistic approach, giving the brighter colors a chance to pop out even more. Frickin rad!

Challenge bonus point - Moths

It’s always tempting with orange to go really bright, so I appreciate your keeping it a little toned back to suit the palette you’re working with. Speaking of which, the washed out greens on the robes are absolute magic. The back of the robe with the (super tastefully) painted tree is like a microcosm of why I love this scheme.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:slick::slick:JUDGEMENT OF DECEMBER:slick::slick:

3rd Place (1 point) - Electric Hobo

Gotta say, this made me smile. He loves his job! Nice work on the edge highlights, and bringing the same red home with the epaulet things. There are elements both big and small I like about this fella… the cloak, the medals, the detail on the glove, it’s all working great.

2nd Place (2 points) - Germ

Okay I think I’ve had a moment with this scheme before, but I definitely should give ample credit for the fantastic, smooth gradients on these grav-thingies. Nice shading on the curves of the hull, those smooth planes are hard to work with. I’m also really enjoying the alternating placement of the main colors across the various planes, the slightly different hornets are cool as ice.

1st Place (3 points) - Dr. Gargunza

Behold of these two different and magically executed shades of white. Very nice job, a really nuanced scheme that still stands out great. I particularly like the grey pants and blue nitrile glove! He has a surgical cleanliness that is unexpected and characterful for an ork. It’s easy to picture how his yellowy eyes twitched neurotically when the little corner of his apron got a bit of spleen on it.

Technical challenge point - DMNZ

Amazing contrast in these guys. The red here is plenty strong enough to carry the whole job, the subtlety in the banner is particularly nice. The green and white are great supporting colors, though the warm grey bordering the red and white is perhaps my favorite!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:horse:JANUARY JUDGEMENTS:horse:

3rd place (1 point) - Gareth Gobulcoque

This scheme looks great! It is elegant and magical feeling. The scales on the back have an amazing shimmery look to them, I wondered if it was iridescent paint or something. The way the inner ear is slightly pinker than the skin shading is cool and completely adorable.

2nd place (2 points) - R.S. Gumby

These guys are fantastic. They gleam very appropriately, and their heraldry is all of great bold colors, and so crisp! The squire musician’s slightly more drab colors are a nice touch too, and I love the addition of the halved breastplate on the guy drawing his sword in front, it’s really quite a small area but it totally pulls him together.

1st place (3 points) - Zark the Damned

This fella’s scheme caught my eye and really stuck in my head while I was eating a baked potato just now. I think your experiment is absolutely successful, I got a ghostly vibe before I even saw the group shot which only helps cement it. Your restraint with color is really paying off, the subtlety between the various tones is lovely, and you’ve still managed to preserve some nice deep contrast in the shading without losing the ghostly glow.

Theme challenge point - Indolent Bastard

I reckon this is my favorite application of snow, it captures a more realistic snowy feel that is kinda dirty and half-melted. It gives the model more character too, since you can imagine how damp this poor, cold sniper is getting out here in the field. Wet socks and everything. I should also mention the camo is really nice too, great shapes!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:wooper::wooper:A FEBRUARY OF JUDGEMENT:wooper::wooper:

Third place (1 point) - Uroboros

These are great examples of your ultra (:v:) clean style, which is definitely still very successful on models with curved surfaces. Really crisp edge highlighting, and it looks like there might be some tiny text on them, which is excellent. You’re very nicely representing the classic chaplain model too, and he fits in with the other guys just fine even though his bling is significantly more copious.

Second place (2 points) - SRM

Splendid! Looking at these just promises me you had fun working on them. It’s cool to look them over and take in all the special handling of different areas, from the verdigris plates, to the camouflage, to the bullet magazine.. thingy.. I have no idea what it’s called, whatever holds the bullets together, it’s a good color on an often overlooked detail. The placement of all your different color fields is really well-considered, and they’re all looking snazzy!

First place (3 points) - MasterSlowPoke

Wow, impressive haul this month. I like your take on the skellyboat, it has a comic-booky feel that fits the model really well, as it is crazy as hell. The vampire ladies are great, it’s a perfect homage (and the mis-photographed face is pretty hilarious, I’m sure it’s fine in person). Your squad of gribbly speardudes is also excellent, the orange and blue are playing so well with each other it’s easy to give them full credit, but I think it’s the grey flesh that really ties the room together for me.

Technical/theme point - Jadebullet

Good work getting both the technical and theme elements in there! The caked-up blood is wonderful. He’s clearly been hacking all day and night, and totally didn’t even clean it off on a fern frond or anything. I also really like the high-contrast mask and cool swampy base.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:black101:MARCH OF JUDGEMENT:black101:

3rd place (1 point) - thespaceinvader

Super cool! The snarly monster face reads really nicely, and both sides match very well. I like the graphic highlights on the glass, it suggests the reflection of weird cosmic space clouds or such. Even with these pretty bold choices the metallic grime of the engine and wing areas still comes across and helps ground the whole thing.

2nd place (2 points) - Zark the Damned

Diggin this giant pretty hard. The wrinkles and weathering are really selling the idea that he’s probably living outside most of the time. The toenails are great/gross. I like the little goblin a lot, dictating the order of battle from atop his mighty war-buddy (or so he’d like to think). He’s actually a size I’d consider “giant”, rather than the admittedly cool old GW sculpt which is more of an “Andre could probably take him” kinda size.

1st place (3 points) - Gareth Gobulcoque

What an amazing scheme! I think it falls more under “inspiration” if you steal from nature. Anyhow, it’s the application that's winning the day; the blending and the shadows/highlights are excellent, and the colors within them are both naturally and imaginatively placed.

Technical challenge point - Germ

Everything in your post is rad and done up in lovely paint jobs, but these cars are just so damned fun. They’re everything that a 10-year-old me could ever want in a horde of rusted-out, drugged-up, probably cannibalistic car-warriors from the inevitable and bloody territorial battles of a death-spiraling humankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:duckie::duckie:APRIL SHOWER OF JUDGEMENT:duckie::duckie:

3rd place (1 point) - Jadebullet

This very much honors the respected Chaos tradition of pillaging the hell of out enemy tanks and putting spikes and evil stuff all over them. It’s looking good, well muddied up, the glowy runes are popping out nicely amongst the more subdued colors. In general I particularly like the handled of the deep reds highlighted with orange and playing off some of the other orangey areas too. The fella on the front is brutal!!

2nd place (2 points) - R.S. Gumby

drat, nice. The silver and red are fantastic, very much as splendid as any Roman province could aspire to present. It amazes me that your paint jobs can be so tidy and crisp given the scale, not to mention how simple but effective the schemes are. The fellas with blue shields are definitely worth a mention, they fall in great with the other ranks but those couple of unique colors give them a lot of character.

1st place (3 points) - Moths

Brilliant work, this is a really amazing look. It recalls the classic art very nicely, having a sort of dream-like shimmer that fits those weird old sculpts well (it even helps in taking the gigantic lobster-clawed daemonettes seriously at all). It sounds like it’s quite a lot of work to achieve, but your schemes have a seemingly effortless flow that shows off great subtlety and restraint, and the color choices are superb.

Technical challenge point - Signal

I think your experiment must have gone well! This is an example of airbrushing used really nicely I think, in which many of the highlights appear to have been added with a brush later. That’s a great idea, it enables you to bring those smoothly shaded panels back into the same world as the detail parts which have a slightly more painterly feel. I should also mention that your red is stunningly bright and rich!

• Locked thread