Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Tau Fire Warrior with some kind of scanning device!  Games Workshop, 28mm.  Currently just zenithal primed, nothing on the base just yet.

He ain't 'fraid of no ghosts.

Trying to ease back into painting for the new season with just one guy this month.  I might add something else if time permits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

For the Challenge, I decided to go with the school bus version of the theme:

The yellow was done using zenithal priming, hand-brushed with Badger Minitaire Ghost Tint Yellow and Golden Yellow, then liberally blasted with matte varnish to kill the abundant shine. The result was very custard-like in appearance. Caution stripes and OSL on the gun were meant to suggest the "traffic-stop" arm on American school buses.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, in this summery month of June, oath to paint the following miniatures or components thereof: (1) Ork Nob from Games Workshop's Assault on Black Reach; (1) metal Ork Head from GW (I think?); (1) Clay Golem and (1) Flesh Golem from Reaper Bones; and (1) High Exemplar Mikael Kreoss from Privateer Press' Warmachine 2-player Starter Set. All 28mm, unprimed, and not yet on the official base (TBD).

The orky bits are eBay rescues, which is why I'm uncertain of the head's vintage. The Bones minis will be used as conversion parts, and will sadly not survive the process intact. Fortunately, they're cheap. Thanks, Reaper!
(I'll be posting the conversion pics later in this thread, and edit them back into this post at that time.)

Edit 1: Oath Addition!

Adding (cobbled-together pieces of) these 2 Gretchin and 1 Gretchin Head to my oath. They're going to be converted into a single mini. And I just realized that the Gretchin head is really hard to see, but it's at the bottom left on a chunk of untrimmed sprue. Let me know if you need a closer picture of it.

Edit 2: Post-sculpting!

...Wow, I'm a bad sculptor.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 26, 2015

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Addition! :siren:

Adding (cobbled-together pieces of) these 2 Gretchin and 1 Gretchin Head to my oath, and about to paste this into my main oath pic. I'll also add them to the post-conversion pic I promised earlier, once the conversion is complete.

...Also: Thanks for the points, Red Shoe! Coming from one of our most talented (and prolific, holy poo poo) painters, being ranked means a lot!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Okay, I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to finish sculpting/altering these dudes, but here they are, unprimed for inspection (closeup to show details on #2):

Adding them to my oath starter pic as we speak!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath-postin' time...my favorite time of the month. :allears:

Anyhoo, :siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

This month's oath contained a lot of sculpting, scratchbuilding, and some resin casting, at none of which am I any good. But here you go.

Orks on da Beach!!! :frogsiren:

Pictured: Klork Grizwaaagh, enjoying one of the local cocktails; unidentified grot companion, attempting to get rid of tan lines despite interference from Grizwaaagh's shadow. Both are pretty well soused on many bottles of Pilzna Orkell.

Apologies for the camera angle on this.

For this month's challenge, I admit to getting all excited about a vacation-themed piece, and by the time I plotted it out and started converting, I realized I'd forgotten to include a vehicle. Thus, I switched courses and went with the technical challenge, water effects.

The cooler full of ice water and beer is a solid piece of clear resin, dolled up with some colored glazes (and extra plastic on the sides to hide the many, many casting imperfections). The empties on the base were also resin casts, painted up with ink wash and Future. Less successfully, I played around with the lighting a bit, in the form of angled shadows from a lower light source (hence the grot angrily telling the ork to move, dammit).

Oh, and also Steampunk Battlepope High Exemplar Kreoss from Privateer Press! I went for a colder grey-white look to his robes, offset by warmer colors on the trim (which included Red Gold and White Gold from Vallejo's Liquid Metal line of alcohol-based paints).

Fuller gallery is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
In days gone by, painters who failed their oaths would get stuck with receive a special "Oath Breaker" avatar, usually a custom pic drawn by a fellow goon. So breaking one's oath was almost its own reward for some posters. Nowadays they don't automatically do that anymore...although it's still possible to get an avatar if you ask nicely. (Did we cover this in this year's OP, or am I thinking of last year?)

And yes, you get a chance to Save the Whales! by finishing the oath late... see the OP for details!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Weirdo posted:

Also Spring Cleaning! A purse of gold to the man who identifies the film in pic two.

Deathstalker II, right? (This is a guess. Also I have watched way too many awful movies. Anyway, I'll take my gold in Melnibonean wheel coins, thanks.)

Everyone on these past couple of pages: :stare:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, having been driven slightly mad during the construction of this project, oath to paint the following: (1) Steamborg Executioner, (2) Steampunk Arachnids, (1) hand-made flag assembly and a portion of (1) Reaper Bones Blacksmith! The pewter minis are from the original metal Miners & Steamfitters Union (Ramos) crew box set for Malifaux, Wyrd Miniatures, 28mm. I'll be using the anvil from the Bones blacksmith as a topper for the flagpole, for which I'm attempting this month's technical challenge.

You might notice that there is some greenstuff on the Steamborg, specifically building up the feet (to hold pins for stability) and the conversion of an added sleeveless t-shirt on the torso. The t-shirt dates back to my aborted attempts to put it together last year. I also added a "thumb" in white plasticard to the Steamborg's right claw.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos of this model pre-conversion; I hope that's not going to be an issue. The original design without conversions looks like this (not my pic):

I guess let me know if there are any issues with this....

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
The varnish is still a bit shiny, but whatever. :siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Steamborg Executioner, friend to (robot) children.

Had to "cheat" a little on the flag; the front of the cloth is a custom transfer I knocked together in Photoshop. (The back is my own atrocious handwriting. Which is also visible in the frickin' awful touchup work I had to do on a few places on the front of the banner, don't look, it's horrible)

I'm obviously doing the flag journal for this month, in hopes of getting into the Aetherium drawing! Because obviously I need more miniatures to paint. (looks forlornly across room at Sterilite containers full of Bonesium)

Also for this month, a bit of Backstory:

"I remember what it was like before. What I was like...before. Work the mines, find some 'stones, take home a bit of change. Good work, regular pay. That's what the Guild promises you.
"Anyone here remember them promising you anything else?
"...Yeah, that's 'cos they don't. Found that out the hard way. A couple hundred tonnes of rock crushed my legs and hands, made me worthless in the mines. The Guild's promises were just as worthless as my body. They tossed me out like trash. Never mind that it was their safety measures failed to work--I was no more use to them, so out I went.
"The next few months...I don't remember those too well. Drank all my savings, threw the empties at my wife. I don't even recall when she packed up the kids and left. ...Not that I blame her; she made the right choice. I'd stopped being a man, stopped being--human.
"But then I got a second chance. Didn't deserve it. But Viktor Ramos saw something in me worth saving, worth improving. By the time he finished his work with me, I was better than I could ever hope to be.
"That's what Ramos and I want for you. All of you. We want to help you improve yourselves--because you deserve it. You deserve better than the Guild's greedy hands in your pockets. You deserve a share of the soulstones you dig out of the ground, not just meager cash for risking life and limb to get them for someone else. You deserve to be more than a cog in the Guild's machine. You deserve a chance to belong with a group that cares about you, that will fight for you.
"You deserve to join the Union.
"The Miners & Steamfitters Union is here for you. The Guild have tried to cut us down, drive us away, even burn out the Local 616 office. But we've stopped them, every time. And we'll stop them from taking advantage of you, with that same ferociousness. When you join the Union, we take care of you. If you get hurt in the mines, we take care of your bills and your families.
"And if anyone, Guild or not, tries to put the squeeze on you, cut your hours or your wages, threaten your loved ones, crack your skulls, or give you any guff, just for talking to us--well, we'll take care of them, too."

(Full album is here.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Schmetterling posted:

M&SU represent! :respek:

:hfive: We seem to have approached Malifaux from similar vectors this month.

By the way, excellent work this month all around (those posters, dang), but that Angelica really stood out! I painted one up as a gift for a friend last year; it's one of my favorite Wyrd models. Your color scheme really enhances the things that make that model fun.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
(looks over the judges' posts) Thank you so much for the points from June, guys! ...And now I guess I have to step up my efforts from now on, dammit....

Now then! I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following in the month of August: (1) Ramos (Wyrd Miniatures, 28mm) and (1) Con Mousling 2015 (Reaper, whatever scale their Mousling line is supposed to be)!. Both are metal, zenithal primed; the mousemarine is in two parts.

I might add something else later, after I figure out what the hell is wrong with my airbrush. For right now, I reserve the balance of this post for peer-pressuring TheCosmicMuffet into oathing something to paint.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Not my best OSL on Ramos, but it looks kind of okay from the front. The Mousemarine's plasma pistol is a bit better defined in the glowing department.

Don't gently caress with that guy's cheese.

I'm of course claiming the challenge on both minis (Ramos' fire was already sculpted as part of the model, so I'm just going for the OSL portion).
...Wow, did I forget to clean the dust off that sprocket.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

That's a pretty GOUDA paint job on the mouse marine. Even though Ultramouseines are a CHEESY chapter.

...Cheese puns? In this, the Oath Thread? You muenster!

(thanks :D )

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, running just a teense late, oath (3) Ork Boyz and (1) Ork Nob! Games Workshop, 28mm. I'll be posting an after-conversion pic in the very near future.

The real challenge will be to see if I can get these dudes finished in time!

e: Actually, the real challenge will be to do anything that's half as good as nesbit37's Resurrection Ship, because that is some sweet iridescent glow on there. What scale did you say these were again?

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 27, 2015

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, running just a teense late, oath (3) Ork Boyz and (1) Ork Nob! Games Workshop, 28mm. I'll be posting an after-conversion pic in the very near future.

As promised, here's the post-conversion pic.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

And yet, they look good!

Yeah, seriously, Gareth Gobulcoque, you should half-rear end more stuff into looking like these. I like 'em!

(Sorry, taking a short break to chime in, didn't mean to break the flow of incoming oaths)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Not my best work this month. I think I was overwhelmed by the horror of Ork Teletubbies (the Theme Challenge).

/shudder

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
(Thanks, Red Shoe! :) )

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Flesh Golem! Reaper Bones, 28mm. As is becoming something of a habit for me this thread, I'll be converting it to look more spooOOookyy and reposting the results soon.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Flesh Golem! Reaper Bones, 28mm. As is becoming something of a habit for me this thread, I'll be converting it to look more spooOOookyy and reposting the results soon.

Oath Addition! I'm adding (1) Werewolf to this month (Reaper Bones, 28mm).

I'll also be making some minor conversion to this dude, and will post the results along with the conversion I'm making to my first mini.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oath Addition! I'm adding (1) Werewolf to this month (Reaper Bones, 28mm).

I'll also be making some minor conversion to this dude, and will post the results along with the conversion I'm making to my first mini.

Okay, finally adding the converted versions of these two miniatures to my Oath:

Now I just need to build the base. /ugh

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:skeltal: Oath Complete! :skeltal:

Doing the Technical Challenge for this month, which I've once again taken literally: classic monsters in black & white!

(Obviously I didn't paint the large blast template, that's just in there to prove that this is a color photo of a B&W object. Also pictured are the mold lines I just couldn't remove because Bones.)

And now I'm going to look for some classic Universal monster flicks! Full album, including closeups on our stars, is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Overprepared Villager with Pitchfork AND Torch, (1) Hellhound, and (1) Pumpkinhead-Skeleton-Scarecrow Thing with Scythe by the end of November! All 28mm, Reaper Bones, zenithal primed as seen below.

...I mean, assuming I don't lapse into a tryptophan coma first.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete! And not a minute too soon....

The journal is the orange leaves on Mr. Pumpkinhead's base, which I swear I painted that color. (The color balance is weirdly off on these pics, owing to the fact that my Totally Legitimate™ license for Photoshop just died and I haven't installed GIMP yet. Let me know if you need better pics, but I won't be uploading them tonight 'cos I gotta go lie down.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, having learned nothing about budgeting one's time last month, oath to paint the following miniatures in the month of December:  (1) Orc Field Chirurgeon (in 2 parts); (1) Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard; (1) Townsfolk Strumpet; and (1) Jeff Corey's character from Conan the Destroyer Leisynn, Mercenaries Mage!  All 28mm; the orc is from Kromlech, and the rest are Reaper Bones.  (Bases to be added later.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

R.S. Gumby posted:

Oath complete!

One small army of Early Bedouins! Easiest army I've ever painted. Very few colours or details made it a breeze to paint. The camp was included in the picture because every army should have one, but it was made earlier for another army and not part of the oath. I didn't do any challenge, these dudes predate christmas.

This was faster than I expected. What the hell do I do now until next month?

Well, you can always do an oath addition; as long as you finish the addition before the deadline, it'll count for the month! (I missed your initial post; are these Bedouins for a particular game? Nice work!)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Claiming the technical challenge for the red on the spellcaster types.

Dang it, how do I keep getting all this frickin' dust on these?

Full disclosure on the orc medic: Part of his saw broke off earlier this afternoon, which caused me a bit of panic for a couple of minutes until I realized I liked the look of a shorter sawblade better. It was a clean break, so I just painted over the end as seen below.

Full album is here (basically just these same pics, but bigger).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following in the rear end-cold month of January: (1) Caribbean Pirate Ship (Revell, 1:72) and (1) Cairn Wraith (GW, 28mm). The boat is only partly assembled and still on sprues; the wraith is zenithal primed.

The link to the original pic is here in case the thumbnail is too small to read.
(I might jump in on the retro challenge, if I can find one of my old minis that isn't broken. :( )

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following in the rear end-cold month of January: (1) Caribbean Pirate Ship (Revell, 1:72) and (1) Cairn Wraith (GW, 28mm). The boat is only partly assembled and still on sprues; the wraith is zenithal primed.

The link to the original pic is here in case the thumbnail is too small to read.
(I might jump in on the retro challenge, if I can find one of my old minis that isn't broken. :( )

And a Speed Paint complete! Complete with fresh snow, because loving winter.

Here's a better picture of what the painted piece looks like:

Link to the current state of the album is here. And I'm off to finish building that boat!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

...I'm not super pleased with the boat. It's kind of an awful model, with way too much flash and mold lines/some sort of round ring marks (intake gates I guess?) in entirely the wrong places. Nevertheless, I'm claiming this as the Theme Challenge of (sculpted) ice and (hastily applied) snow.

Judges: In case you need it, here's the link to where I completed my Speed Paint of the wraith:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

And a Speed Paint complete! Complete with fresh snow, because loving winter.

Here's a better picture of what the painted piece looks like:

Album link is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint in the month of February: (1) Savage Orc Big Boss!

Games Workshop, 28mm, zenithal primed. Hopefully this will count towards the "leaping" theme. I might add more later if time permits.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!
I'm starting at a new job, so a weak oath this month.

Stupid piece of cat fluff.
I did the Theme challenge with this surprise attacking goblin.

There's nothing weak about this guy; he's full of character (and, one assumes, vigor).

Slimnoid, Red Shoe, Monoliths...thanks for the compliments! I've been trying to push myself this season, and I'm glad someone likes my efforts. :)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

Kind of feel like I phoned it in this month, due to my day job doing its damnedest to murder me, but oh well. Challenge is the orc's leaping posture.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, running shamefully late this month, oath to paint (1) Forest!

GW, 28mm, unprimed (the tree trunks are slathered in liquid greenstuff at the moment).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

The Theme is the plant growth on this early-spring scene, with the little tufts of grass and the spring blossoms on the trees (which I swear are more pink in real life than in the pic, I couldn't get the colors to un-wash out). I went a bit nuts with the static grass, which is meant to look flattened from months of snow cover; I meant to trim it from the edges, but I gotta go to bed.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for April: (1) Orc Warlord and (1) Orc Wizard! Mantic Games, metal, 28mm, zenithal primed.

I've done a slight conversion on the Warlord, since I intend to use him as a wizard/apprentice in Frostgrave. I've cut the axe head off his normal weapon, and replaced it with a part from the Empire Battle Wizards sprue by GW:

And after adding a little greenstuff, the Warlord now looks like this:

(Slimnoid, Red Shoe: Thanks for the compliments on the Orc Chirurgeon! That was my favorite model out of that batch, and despite breaking his saw blade off with my sausage-like fingers, it was a real joy to paint.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hey, quick question: I've given away two of this year's oaths as gifts. Does that make me ineligible for the All-in-One group photo, or can I substitute oath-complete pics for those items in the roundup?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: ULTIMATE OATH COMPLETE!!! :frogsiren:

The challenge this month is Freehand, at which I am terrible. Said freehand is barely perceptible on the back of the wizard's cloak.

(The freehand in this case was done as kind of an experiment; I painted the cloak in VMC Black Red, shaded it, then painted the skull on in varying shades of grey. The final step was an overspray of Citadel Mephiston Red, which muted the underlying grey tones and made it look more like a faded design on the cloth. Sadly, I overdid it and then had to head out to a thing, leaving little time to fix it. But I'll remember to tweak this technique for future models; I rather like the effect!)

And that's the end of the season for me. I'd like to thank all the judges, as well as the other participants; I'm looking forward to seeing how we challenge and inspire each other in the next season!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Red Shoe posted:

Jurnal, 1 Point: Dr. Gargunza

This looks amazing. The ice and snow are especially well done.

And here I didn't think anything could cheer me up today. :unsmith: Thanks, Red Shoe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Red Shoe posted:

Second Place, 2 Points: Dr. Gargunza

This orc's musculature is well shaded but maintains a bright, vivid look.

Thanks! I think I worked out my favorite recipe for Ork skin on this guy: shade or base with Reaper Forest Green (or Christmas Wreath Green if you ordered from them during the holidays); VGC Escorpena Green as mid-tone; highlight with VGA Light Livery Green; wash with thinned GW Biel-tan Green; optional/spot glazing of GW Waywatcher Green as desired. It gives you a nice, bright green that gets up to tennis-ball intensity on the highlights while giving you great contrast in the shadows.

• Locked thread