Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for the month of May 94 mounted Rohan units (10mm horse tribe figures by Copplestone Miniatures) and one gnomish(?) wizard from Bones 2

It's a bit much but June and July I will be lucky to paint much so I am hoping to push it hard this month. The wizard is thrown in to paint yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath complete!
The gnomish Mage guy is for the May technical jurnal. I wanted to do a better job with him but tonight was probably going to be the last night I could paint this month so I had to start and finish him up at a tabletop quality.

The shields and banners are a little bland because I have some transfers for them I am going to apply at some point.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 28, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

krushgroove posted:

The THEME challenge is travel of some type to a holiday destination. So some sort of vehicle, but even a wheel, steering wheel, hell even a traffic sign.

Does an animal mount count as a vehicle for this or does it need to be something built like a wagon or truck?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for the month of June 24 Mahud raiders and one camel mounted Mahud king all in 10mm.

The miniatures are all Pendraken Mahdist Camelry, some of which I added green stuff mumakil tusks to the sides of their camels. The king is a Mahdist Camelry unit with the rider cut off at the waist and a pendraken Zulu chieftain attached in its stead with some other minor green stuff conversions added.

Much more modest than last month since I am moving and expect to have a lot less painting time. If I get these done quick ill do some oath additions, probably Dwarven forge cavern water tiles for the technical challenge.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath addition!

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for the month of June 24 Mahud raiders and one camel mounted Mahud king all in 10mm.

The miniatures are all Pendraken Mahdist Camelry, some of which I added green stuff mumakil tusks to the sides of their camels. The king is a Mahdist Camelry unit with the rider cut off at the waist and a pendraken Zulu chieftain attached in its stead with some other minor green stuff conversions added.

Much more modest than last month since I am moving and expect to have a lot less painting time. If I get these done quick ill do some oath additions, probably Dwarven forge cavern water tiles for the technical challenge.

Adding in two caverns river tiles from Dwarven Forge.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath complete!

My oath addition hasn't been officially accepted so if that part is invalidated its fine, but if not claiming technical jurnal.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Oh yeah, I know the original oath was, I was just talking about the addition that I threw in and then had finished painting like an hour later. Thanks for all the work you put into this!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for July smaug from Games workshop for BotFA and 4 dragons from Dark Sword Miniatures. I'm not sure what scale the dark sword dragons are supposed to be but since they are the same size as smaug and I am painting them for use in a 10mm game I am going to say 10mm.

I will be doing some oath additions if I can. I have three conferences this month to travel to and I just moved so let's see what I can squeak in for July.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 4, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! I just finished up the dragons so let's see if I can squeeze in this LotR objective marker before heading to Gen Con. No idea who made it, was a door prize from the 2009 Adepticon.

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for July smaug from Games workshop for BotFA and 4 dragons from Dark Sword Miniatures. I'm not sure what scale the dark sword dragons are supposed to be but since they are the same size as smaug and I am painting them for use in a 10mm game I am going to say 10mm.

I will be doing some oath additions if I can. I have three conferences this month to travel to and I just moved so let's see what I can squeak in for July.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath complete! done with these 5 10mm dragons of Middle Earth. I am claiming the July technical challenge and i rolled a 6! For the lotr objective marker. I am claiming Box art for the the red dragon (not smaug).

This guy goes with this box art from the dark sword product page on it:

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/visions-in-fantasy/red-dragon.html

This guy I painted after a male austrailian water dragon:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for August 27 ologhai and 4 ents all by Eureka miniatures at 10mm.

Note that there are 5 Zulu in the picture but they are not in the oath.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
August oath complete! I am claiming both the technical and theme August jurnal challenge (I know you only get points for 1 but I did both, so take your pick for judging), backstory, and the spring cleaning achievements.

Below is the warrior ent Blackened Twig
In the very first battle this ent fought in he quickly found one of his arms ablaze. This frightened all of the ents, but rather than panic and immediately seek water or burn the tree creature fought on. It pummeled the day's foes with burning limbs, losing many branches and leaves to the blaze on its body but winning the day. The battle won the ent the nickname of Blackened Twig, and now it before engaging foes it purposely ignites itself to cause fear and greater damage to its enemies. The other ents think Blackened Twig is reckless and somewhat crazy, though its methods are certainly effective even if the tree seems to heal more slowly and regain fewer of its leaves after every battle.

For spring cleaning, I present my workstation before:

and after...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

krushgroove posted:

I would like some sort of solution to figuring out how folks doing multiple Oath additions and failing their last one won't get their entire Oath output for a month wiped out by failing a single Oath. If you (or anyone else) have suggestions, let me know!

This would be great. Since I finished my oath a couple weeks ago I have just been prepping models for the most part and tried out a paint scheme on one other. I am hesitant to start a project beyond the prep stage just because its something I want to oath along with being what I want to work on next. The only thing I can think of to make this work within the current point system is that any oath additions that are not finished must be added to the following month's oath. If you don't oath any additional that month maybe you lose a point? I'm not exactly for penalizing people by taking things away, but if someone does an addition and does another oath the next month it just means they have more they need to get through painting. If they don't oath anything that following month than they basically got credit for failing an oath the previous month.

On a some what related topic, there is a model I want to prep for painting up to the base coat level for next month but the basecoat is two parts due to the nature of the paints I am using. I want to airbrush on a metallic and then do a candy coat on top of that to tint it to a colored metallic. The entire model would be base coated that one tinted metallic color it just takes two steps to get there. Can I do this ahead of time or do I need to wait until the first of September?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for the month of September 2 base stars, 1 battlestar Pegasus and one resurrection ship by Fox Miniatures. I have no idea what scale these are, same scale as battlefleet gothic whatever that is. I will definitely be doing oath additions th is month, just want to get started on these ships ASAP.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! I, nesbit37, am adding 43 10mm hill trolls by games workshop and 1 28mm Dorva the dark elf by Reaper to my September pledge.

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for the month of September 2 base stars, 1 battlestar Pegasus and one resurrection ship by Fox Miniatures. I have no idea what scale these are, same scale as battlefleet gothic whatever that is. I will definitely be doing oath additions th is month, just want to get started on these ships ASAP.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath Complete! Claiming this month's jurnal for the Battlestar Galactica ships. Those ships are the first minis I have painted 100% with an airbrush. Pretty happy with the basestars and ressurection ship, not so much the Pegasus.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for October, 60, 10mm harad cataphract (gualum cavalry with armored horse by Old Glory), and for the month's spooky challenge, 9 spiders by Pendraken (10mm), 6 giant bat swarms by games workshop (10mm), and 3 stands of what will be for a unit of the Army of the Dead that I made out of a bunch of miscast parts from random games workshop 10mm BoFA figures.

Slimnoid posted:

:siren: August Judgement! :siren:

First Place: Nesbit37, 3pts

The whole group of Ents are great, but this guy really popped out to me. Your use of glow effects and the look of terror and pain really adds a lot of character to such a small piece!

Yay, first judge points, thanks!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath Complete!

Claiming jurnal for the spooky spiders, bats and army of the dead!

Terrifying bat swarms

Blood sucking spiders!

Terrifying ghosts of army of the dead (made these from left over pieces of miscasts)

Easterling Cataphracts to (maybe) chase them all away

Group shot

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looking for some clarifications on November's jurnal. Having some issues trying to properly plan for this one.

"" posted:

November: Harvest Time! Oranges and yellows are the theme! ORRR go with Day of the Dead as your theme
technical challenge: your choice! paint orange and red leaves on your model OR paint some skulls (actual paint 2D skulls, not just painted model skulls)
theme challenge: your choice! harvest time celebrations OR Day of the Dead (Google it)

For the leaves, is it like the skulls that they need to be 2D painted or is painting modeled leaves fall colors acceptable as part of this?

Similar question on the harvest fest part of the theme. How much of it is sticking with the oranges and yellows mentioned in the main line for November vs. doing some sort of harvest festival activity?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I, nesbit37, oath for the month of November 1, 28mm birch tree giant by Shadow and Flame, 7, 28mm Bugbears in Bones, and 96, 10mm, rohan infantry and archers by copplestone casting.

lovestick posted:

TRICK OR TREAT! We've got some prizes to give out, so best of luck to you in winning some on Halloween!

:siren: AUGUST PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: NESBIT37!

Yay!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath for November complete! Claiming jurnal for the birch tree ent with fall leaves and the Bugbear Squash Squad.

First up this month is a Birch Tree Ent wandering around in the fall season.

Next up is the Bugbear Squash Squad. Many creatures beyond the more civilized races also celebrate the fall harvest. The Bugbear is no different. Long ago they learned that the fall was a great time to send out squash squads to collect farmers as they labored. The Bugbear Squash Squads venture out to the fields in leather armor adorned to resemble squashes. Yellow studded greaves, lamellar adorned with gourds, and images of fall squashes on their shields. They rush out yelling "Squash!" as they beat them into jelly with their maces and clubs, and one with a sharp implement for skinning when necessary. Here the Bugbears make all of the Human Jam, Halfling Jelly and Elven Marmalade they need to sustain themselves through the cold season ahead.

Rohan spear and arrow units!

Everyone for the month in a group shot:

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 28, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty sure these are the Best Bugbears TM :D

Surely you're claiming the backstory cheevo for that?

Thanks! I would but claimed it back in august already.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i, nesbit37, oath for the month of December 6 zombies and one survivor from Zombicide Rue Morgue and a 10mm Gandalf and 10mm Saruman by Cooplestone Casting.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition, one 25mm Type V Demon by Fractured Dimensions.

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for the month of December 6 zombies and one survivor from Zombicide Rue Morgue and a 10mm Gandalf and 10mm Saruman by Cooplestone Casting.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
December oath complete! Claiming the technical jurnal challenge since almost everything here was done with a red pallet and theme for the month. I know its early but I am only going to be around another weekish until its off to Wisconsin for the holidays and the rest of December.

I am very happy with how the Type V Demon came out. Looks even better in person. First time painting zombies and I am more or less happy with them. At about the quality level I was trying to achieve with them.

Group shot!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI just wrote both Hawk Games and KR today with a thanks for the prize support since I just placed orders with both of them. Glad this thread is encourage me to churn through the painting, but I think rather than reducing my backlog I am picking up more and more stuff to paint as I find more things I want to paint along with the old, and now have a whole new game in Dropzone Commander to start painting for. I am going to have to be entombed in miniatures. The foundation can be made from 3 kickstarters worth of Bones.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I, nesbit37, pledge for the month of January 2016 100 black numenorians and queen beruthial (evil men 10mm by yann hoarau), 6 walkers and 4 ground vehicles for dropzone commander by hawk games 10mm, and for the new great month challenge by LordAba I am painting something old. A 25mm beholder by Grenadier from 1980. I don't know for 100% certainty, but I am pretty sure this is the first mini of a beholder available commercially.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Going for speed paint on this little guy. He's in my original oath, I'll quote them all in a post when I claim everything complete for the month.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Speed paint done!

Also, oath addition, 3, 10mm, phr Neptune drop ships by hawk wargames for dropzone commander.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

krushgroove posted:

Do you know the manufacturer? Assuming this is 28mm

Yup, it's 28mm, from the Grenadier Gold Box line, 1980.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 20, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LordAba posted:

He looks both droopy and bummed out, but still has a goofy smile on his face. Maybe he finally got the courage to ask the girl he likes to the prom, but she let him down gently and promised a dance with him.

He always was my favorite version of the beholder. Based on Tom Wham's interpretation of one from the 1977 Monster Manual. Here he is on a coffee mug!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath Complete! I am claiming the technical challenge jurnal for the white Neptures, LordAba's retro challenge for the 1980 beholder, and the speed paint challenge for the beholder.

Hey guys!

PHR Neptunes in flight with some walkers and treded vehicles attached. (note the yellow and brown neptunes were not part of the oath, I did them as a color test for the other PHR models I painted this month and just stuck them in the picture)

PHR walkers and other ground vehicles

Queen Beruthial and some of her cat spies. N Scale cats are super super super tiny.

A hoard of Black Numenorians!

Everyone for the month together.

nesbit37 posted:

I, nesbit37, pledge for the month of January 2016 100 black numenorians and queen beruthial (evil men 10mm by yann hoarau), 6 walkers and 4 ground vehicles for dropzone commander by hawk games 10mm, and for the new great month challenge by LordAba I am painting something old. A 25mm beholder by Grenadier from 1980. I don't know for 100% certainty, but I am pretty sure this is the first mini of a beholder available commercially.

nesbit37 posted:

Going for speed paint on this little guy. He's in my original oath, I'll quote them all in a post when I claim everything complete for the month.

nesbit37 posted:

Speed paint done!

Also, oath addition, 3, 10mm, phr Neptune drop ships by hawk wargames for dropzone commander.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Is there going to be a technical challenge for February or just the theme challenge of things leaping?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just sent them a separate email when I ordered and they wrote back to talk about a little bit.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I, nesbit37, oath for the month of February 1 zombicide zombie (28mm), 12 sister sledgehammer miniatures (warlord, 28mm), 6 scourge dropships and 17 ground vehicles for dropzone commander (10mm)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! 1 medusa and transport for dropzone commander 10mm and Michelin tenderness by Goblin Forge 28mm.

nesbit37 posted:

I, nesbit37, oath for the month of February 1 zombicide zombie (28mm), 12 sister sledgehammer miniatures (warlord, 28mm), 6 scourge dropships and 17 ground vehicles for dropzone commander (10mm)

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 17, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath Complete!

Claiming both technical and theme challenge though obviously only one applies. The zombie covered in blood and the leaping Medusa are most of it, though technically I suppose any of the flying transports for the Scourge could count. I forgot to take a solo picture of Micheline Tendress so she is in the group shot with the Blood Bowl Amazon team I didn't oath for the month but painted anyway. She is just the giant female ogre and the little goblin running for her, so sorry for any confusion for the judges.

Just the ogre and goblin in this one

Just the ogre and goblin in this one

Some ate his Valentines heart and needs a napkin or two

For some reason the purple isn't showing but that's ok

I must admit that I am a little embarressed to have painted up the Sister Sledgehammers being cheesecake dwarves, but something about the fact they were originally made without beards spoke to me, and I just had to sculpt beards on some of them and fix the error:

Everyone done for the month in one shot

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 22, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I, nesbit37, oath for March 1 spider queen and 3 units of spider links (GW 28mm) and 60 units of scourge infantry (10mm hawk)

I had some good plans for the growth theme but this month is getting away from me so starting light and with a backup growth theme and will see how quickly I get through things.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! 1 Furiosa from Hasslefree, 25mm.

nesbit37 posted:

I, nesbit37, oath for March 1 spider queen and 3 units of spider links (GW 28mm) and 60 units of scourge infantry (10mm hawk)

I had some good plans for the growth theme but this month is getting away from me so starting light and with a backup growth theme and will see how quickly I get through things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For next month's oath I am thinking of doing both challenges, but for the tech one I am not sure of what technique I should practice that I am not already. This year has upped my painting, especially my painting speed, but I want to set a different personal goal for next year's competition when it starts in May (assuming the oath thread will continue!). Just wondering of what techniques would be worth trying out next month? Here is what I use generally or am at least aware of, so what am I missing or would be good to focus on:

Used all the time:
drybrushing
layering
basecoating
airbrush basing/priming
layering
shadowing
washing
glazing
TMM (though I could do this better)
greenstuff conversions
gap filling and model smoothing prep
painting from the zenithal light perspective
painting from the general light perspective
basing

use occasionally:
airbrush painting (trying to improve, still suck at it)
feathering
NMM
sculpting major components
OSL
Freehand
making things look wet

seldom use but should use more (I suck at some of these and they frustrate me):
2 brush blending
wet blending
painting from other than zenithal or general light perspective
pre-shading

Haven't tried: