Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The direct link for American Samoan time in the OP is broken. I figure it's worth pointing out since it'll save a lot of oathers a lot of total effort over the next year, for not a lot of effort to fix. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Anyway, here's my oath.

I, JerryLee, oath to paint 5 Chaos Terminators

These were built from a mix of Forge World and third party parts, and there's a couple of Scibor and GW-Prime bits in there as well.

When approving this oath, please let me know whether painting the loincloths yellow on all five of these would be enough for the challenge. If not, I'll need to make an oath addition later for that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

To my eye, you'll need to do a little than the tabards/loincloths to get 25% of the model in yellow. Maybe adding the helmet, the banner things, the hands or even the knees or feet in yellow would be enough. I'm not going to dictate to anyone how they should paint their models, so feel free to dig around in your unpainted pile for something else to paint yellow.

Doesn't really fit into my scheme to do more than the cloth in a properly 'yellow' shade, but that's fine, I'll just toss something else in later. Thanks for the quick ruling. :) And yes, I originally posed the question when the challenge said 10% minimum--if it had been 25% I probably wouldn't have bothered asking.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

For the record, I also e-mailed but didn't get a response. However, I'm not in any tearing hurry or anything. :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren:Oath Addition!

I also oath to paint this Reaper Bones sorceress

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:vomarine: OATH COMPLETE, and it's a doozy. Scroll to the bottom to make sure you see all the pictures.

"Do I think our prayers are answered, you ask?

"The first time I truly prayed to the Emperor for anything, I think, was when the Ecclesiarchy took my little brother for a witch. I was fourteen, and I prayed for Him to first show the priests that the charge was false, and then a little later I prayed that he might at least be taken away by the Black Ships and not sent to the pyre. Right up to the last moments, I thought that His angels, the Angels of Death, would descend and cut my brother's chains.

"Well, they didn't, of course. If they had, I suppose I wouldn't be speaking with you right now; most likely I would have become a good Guardswoman as I had always intended, and perhaps one of us would have killed the other on the battlefield...

"After that my faith was gone. Later, my faith in the True Gods gave me the strength to rise up and strike back, but I had to claw each scrap of victory from the uncaring universe myself. I guess the apostles will say that this is as it ought to be, that the gods favor those who have their own strength, in conviction if not in limb. But I still prayed that someday, before I died, I'd see an angel.

"Then came the Vedic Crusade. I'd fought against planetary militia before, of course, but we landed on Minavros VII and there was the Guard, ten million strong. My band ended up dug into the ruins of a mountain fortress, our backs against an alien shrine we'd been sent to hold for the sorcerors and apostles. It was an important task, but we were still just one point of interest in a theater of thousands, and days turned into weeks with no sight of the reinforcements we were promised. The Imperials encircled us and began to push their way up the pass. We were almost dry of ammunition for our autoguns and stubbers; the Guard had sun-charged power packs and an entire supply line behind them.

"And then, on the day when they must have been ready to sweep up and over our position once and for all, there was suddenly a bright flash of light on the slopes just in front of our earthworks, and a blast wave that hadn't come from a Basilisk shell. And when I dared to look, there they were, the energies of the Empyrean still wisping off their war-plate. The angels of the True Gods, standing there in place of the ones who'd abandoned me years ago."

"Would you believe I don't even really remember the way they fought? That's what everyone else who sees the demigods says they remember most, their furious efficiency as they bend to the slaughter. Maybe it depends on which ones you see, or how you see them. What I remember is how ancient they looked... armor plates worn and scratched around the edges, golden finery worked into symbols and images older than any human lifetime, faceplates fashioned in the shapes of transhuman divinities. Masks of eternity.

"Are you listening? You're smiling. If you're already smiling, you haven't understood. Do you think my prayers were answered when they saved my life? I don't know if they even knew we were there. They'd come to scour the sacred mountains clean of the faithless, and that was what they did. They didn't even look back once they'd started. Listen: what I realized that day wasn't just that gods and angels are real, but what that truly means. It means that there are warriors who are prepared to fight forever, long after you or I are dead; warriors with masks that will never change, no matter how many eons pass. It means that the faithless god who left my brother to burn will never, ever sit easy on his golden throne.

"And that is worth far more than my own life, or yours."

Claiming Backstory for all those :words:, obviously.

And I suppose I'd better not forget the model I did for the Challenge:

As I was planning her, it occurred to me that I hardly ever paint non-Caucasian human skintones, so I thought I'd try and fix that a bit. Unfortunately, the result made my usual white balance techniques poo poo their pants, and I'm not a good enough image wizard to fix them, so you'll have to take my word for it that the face and hands are actually shaded somewhat more like the legs, rather than being the featureless black pits they might appear to be.

Whew. Okay, I think I'm done now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Pash posted:

Oath Complete!

Just wanted to say I really dig the blue take on Circle!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ugleb posted:

A lot of people just put the models in front of their monitor or on the keyboard of their laptop displaying the american samoa timestamp. Your picture does not need to be good, so long as other people can make out what it is. Some of mine have been little more than silhouettes of black primed minis in the shape of the thing I'm oathing. ;)

Just make sure you get the time zone right and are starting to paint on the 1st of the month according to it. And that you are posting your oath complete pics under the same criteria!

Did you read what they said? They don't have a monitor or laptop that can display the webpage.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Do you vacation in pools of blood, phlegm, or pus? If so I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd say no.

To be clear, we don't have to actually represent an idyllic vacation spot, right? Any use of water will count, as long as it's actually H2O?

Leperflesh posted:

Here's this month's theme, for anyone who forgot they're all in the OP now, like I did:

Speaking of things that are notionally in the OP, is the spreadsheet appearing at any point? :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lord Thrust posted:

Water it is. That said, I may not want to hang out near a sea of blood, but there is no telling what those wacky space mans of the grimdark future may choose to do. Oh wait, they never vacation. THERE IS ONLY WARCATION!!!

if I had the time, the appropriate parts, etc. I would totally model Kharn kicked back in a beach chair by the side of a blood ocean

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint for June:

(left to right) a Well of Chaos, a Dwarf Cleric, an Elf Ranger, and a Half-Elf Rogue, all by Reaper, and an Archer, a Crypt Lord, and a Basti Hero, all by Crocodile Games

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LordAba posted:

Awesome stuff! Though I usually cringe when I see my own models. I think it is one of those "hear your own voice" reactions.

I'm cringing because my first picture was enlarged way past its intended resolution :v: But all the models are more nicely presented in my other shots and I probably wasn't winning any prizes anyway so it's okay.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

First Place: JerryLee, 3 points

I'm absolutely in love with these. The color choices, the various bits and bobs, and the heads really bring it all together. The lightning effects alone are some serious pro poo poo right there.

:vince:

Holy poo poo, thank you man. I'm a little bit floored here. drat.

This is a fortuitous occasion upon which to post my oath completes for this month! I was actually getting the pictures together and only noticed these judgments when I came to the thread to post. :v:

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

This is the mini I had the most invested in this month, and happily, it's also the one I thought turned out nearly the best. :)

Conversely, I took a relatively :effort: attitude towards these. I mainly just wanted to get the entirety of Dragons Don't Share painted to a rough tabletop standard, and these are another notch in that belt. The only post-wash highlights were on skin, hair, and the green areas of the archer which would've been way too dark otherwise.

The cat lady here was originally somewhat exposed above her waist. ( :nws: https://www.crocodilegames.com/content/storeImg/WGE-132.jpg if you're curious.) I fixed that a little, but instead I exposed the fact that I'm not very good at sculpting fabric. Pretty happy with the paint jobs on these.

I'm also pretty happy with how these turned out. The dwarf is destined as a gift for my brother and he picked the color scheme. Direct any complaints accordingly.

The well is my Challenge for this month, as this picture makes more clear.

It's also my Box Art for this season. Here is the catalog image on Reaper's website. I assume it's still valid even though this is only one of a few sample paint schemes they post for it. :)

And I think that's a wrap for this month. See you all in about a week!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tartan front arcs are my temporary favorite thing. :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I have some questions about next month's technical challenge (July's):

Is it ok for the flag or banner to be one that came with the model?

Does it need to have a design on it, or is a solid-colored banner all right?

Again, these are about the technical challenge, not the theme challenge. Thanks!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:frogsiren:I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Mummy Standard Bearer by Crocodile Games:frogsiren:

Going deliberately unambitious for this month since I have a lot potentially going on.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Calling it Oath Complete for this month

I may do some touchups later but it's finished for all practical purposes.

The Challenge is, hopefully, obvious. :shepface:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I have a question/request for clarification about August's challenge:

quote:

theme challenge: paint actual flames, smoke or something similar on your model

I assume that either flames sculpted as part of the model, or freehanded flame imagery, would count?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, being of sorcerous mind and flesh-changed body, do solemnly swear to paint a Thousand Sons marine for August

(Bolter is separate for painting, obviously.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JerryLee posted:

I, JerryLee, being of sorcerous mind and flesh-changed body, do solemnly swear to paint a Thousand Sons marine for August

(Bolter is separate for painting, obviously.)

:siren:OATH ADDITION!

I further oath to paint a Runic Monolith Objective from Broken Egg Games

The wonky camera angle is because I was trying to get my phone camera to take a picture against a screen without having it decide to make the model an unrecognizable black mass. For some reason holding it at an angle helped. :shepface:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE!

The Challenge is the fire this first guy is summoning from his hand. I'm not sure the usual wisdom of darkening the flame color towards the edges/tips works as well for magical green fire as it would for a naturalistic fire, but it turned out all right.

I'm claiming I Rolled A 6! for this second model, seeing as it's an objective marker and all.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Word. I might go back and do that later, yeah. Not stressing it for right now since I'm not in the running for any prizes anyway. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

I can go for this, because there's a lot of video games that get released around this time (and all the time, I know, but game characters fit in pretty well in this theme). So yes you can do a videogame, TV or movie character for September's Oath theme.

quote:

videogame

:getin:For September, I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Cyberdemon by Reaper:getin:

28mm, obv.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE MOTHERFUCKERS

I had to go back to using completely natural light to photograph this because even with white balancing, the colors refused to come out properly in my makeshift lightbox. It's a bit darker overall but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

This qualifies for the Challenge under the video game clause. If I have to explain which game this is from then you can just :frogout:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Where did you get that shambler model?

Smh if you don't know that model was produced by Games Workshop under license from Bungie. :rolleyes:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

brushes for JerryLee

Just to double-check, did you ever get my weathering powders from last season sent out too, or will they be in this batch?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

They're already in the package : )

Awesome.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Question about this month's Challenge!

quote:

theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model!

Is it enough to paint something stereotypically spooky (like a skeleton or ghost mini), or is "put... on" the operative phrase and it needs to be something that wasn't part of the original model?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LordAba posted:

To me the breakdown is: scary thing in greyscale/black&white or thing with spoooooky freehand/details. Though obviously wait for the judges to weight in!

Well, the other challenge was a classic movie monster, not just anything spooky. I don't know if I'd call a random ghost a classic movie monster. :v:

But ultimately, of course, the thread administrators will let us know.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, belatedly oath to paint these ten Mantic Skeletons for October

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

I was worried for a while that these weren't going to turn out competently, even for tabletop purposes, since I was racing to finish them before the deadline. It didn't help things when my wash came out way darker than I'd thought it would (I was trying to use some cheap inks). I ended up having to do a highlight pass at the last moment, which I'd been hoping to get away without doing on the rank and file of this army. But it didn't take very long and I like the way it came out overall!

The Challenge is, of course, the fact that these are spooky skeletons. But if you're the sort of fuddy-duddy who doesn't think regular skeletons are that spooky, just take a look at that guy in the front left. See that? That's right, his hood is empty. He's a HALF-SKELETON, HALF GHOST. Which I think we can all agree is 3spooky5us.

:ghost: :hb: :quig:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

lovestick posted:

TRICK OR TREAT! We've got some prizes to give out, so best of luck to you in winning some on Halloween!

:siren: AUGUST PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: NESBIT37!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: PYROLOCUTUS!

And now the GRAB BAG prize!
The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: JERRYLEE!

We have albums going for both the US-based and the UK-based prize pots! So here's who you will contact for your choice of prize:

If you live in North America, you are choosing from Iris of Ether's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live in Europe, you are choosing from Krushgroove's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live anywhere else, you may choose from either prize pot.

To CLAIM your prizes, click here and go to the bottom of the first post in the Oath Thread Season 6 thread.

I must be blind because I don't see Iris of Ether's email. Or am I just supposed to e-mail Krushgroove even though they won't be the one sending my prize?

Also, how many picks do I get from the grab bag? I seemed to recall that it was divided into "large" or "small" picks and you got different combinations of them or something, but I don't see that spelled out anywhere.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Iris of Ether posted:

You can contact me at redacted.

Regarding pick sizes, any special rules like that were when I hadn't realized the prize pool would need to extend longer than a year. :shobon: So pick maybe one box set, or a few smaller sets of minis, and we'll call it good.

And just e-mailed you. Thanks for the quick answer!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Got my prize brush set and weathering powders in today! Thank you!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint one Pumpkin Horror by Reaper

The "horror" part isn't on-theme this month, but it should still have enough fall/harvest flavor for the challenge. :buddy:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Galaspar posted:

For November, Galaspar oaths one Thunder Warrior

He's a heavy kitbash of GW parts. You can't see him too clearly there due to the contrast with the screen, so here he is:

For as much as GW is bad and should not be given money--particularly as it concerns AoS--this is a really cool use of these diverse parts, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

In addition to exuding autumn flavor generally, this cheerful little guy has his pitchfork and is all ready to help out with the harvest!

...a harvest of human souls is still a harvest, right?...

But! Just in case that isn't harvest-y enough for some folks, he's also standing in a mat of fall leaves! So my bases are doubly covered for the Challenge.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint ten Ghouls by Mantic

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:shittydog:OATH COMPLETE:shittydog:

Having some issues with ranking up, but this shows off the models well enough.

The Challenge is, obviously, their red garments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Reaper Marsh Troll

• Locked thread