Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nethack gets boring once you can ascend 9/10 times you play. There is so little variety once you get the routine down. MUCH LIKE YOUR POSTING! ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
That's kind of the problem with roguelikes anyhow. Once you can repeatedly achieve victory, it's no longer an exciting adventure.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How is that a problem? You beat the game, possibly several times. You move on to one of the billion other games at that point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah, it's an inherent flaw in the way roguelikes are made. there's really no way to avoid it unless you fill your game with lots of RANDOM BULLSHIT which isn't really fun either.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Khanstant posted:

How is that a problem? You beat the game, possibly several times. You move on to one of the billion other games at that point.

It's not a huge issue, but the reason people still play the old rear end acii roguelikes is because of replayability. So if a roguelike let's you do all you can/want as quickly as a few victories, then it would probably have been better off being a different kind of game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Timesplitters: Future Perfect is loving awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Colonel posted:

What happened to that spiritual sequel?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nasgate posted:

It's not a huge issue, but the reason people still play the old rear end acii roguelikes is because of replayability. So if a roguelike let's you do all you can/want as quickly as a few victories, then it would probably have been better off being a different kind of game.

With so many options out there today you'd think you'd to be able to beat one and move on. Then again, many people specifically seek out one or a few games they can play forever. I don't remember where but I read an MMO-addict advocating for like every bad design element to be added to the game to increase the length of their stay. Not that I think replayability in a roguelike is at all the same thing, and obviously most roguelikes are cheap rear end free so it's not a an automated shakedown program. As someone who's never beaten any roguelike of any kind out of the several dozen I've played, mastering a roguelike to beat it once or multiple times would be plenty for me.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

The Colonel posted:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If people want to make loving billions, what they need to do is remake all the Timesplitters games, update the netcode to allow online play, and put them up on steam.

It would be a literal licence to print money.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The larger problem with Nethack is that if you can make it to the bottom of the mines and complete sokoban, you've got at least an 85% chance of being able to complete the bulk of the run. So there's this long, long portion in the middle where you're just sort of putzing around until you get to the 3 or 4 interesting (if one note) challenges in the game before you murder the Wizard of Yendor and the super loving exciting end game begins.

I've lost way more Nethack games due to complete boredom and disenchantment than I have to just dying.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

If people want to make loving billions, what they need to do is remake all the Timesplitters games, update the netcode to allow online play, and put them up on steam.

not really, it wasnt a huge franchise at all

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ddraig posted:

Sure, I bet millions of people would be lining up to pay for a series of 15 year old games that they never bothered to play the first time around

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

The larger problem with Nethack is that if you can make it to the bottom of the mines and complete sokoban, you've got at least an 85% chance of being able to complete the bulk of the run. So there's this long, long portion in the middle where you're just sort of putzing around until you get to the 3 or 4 interesting (if one note) challenges in the game before you murder the Wizard of Yendor and the super loving exciting end game begins.

I've lost way more Nethack games due to complete boredom and disenchantment than I have to just dying.

yea that's why I either complete a game of nethack in one sitting or I save somewhere around the Castle and never load the save

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

nethack gets boring once you can ascend 9/10 times you play.

How much do you have to play Nethack to get to this point

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
too much :negative:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

How much do you have to play Nethack to get to this point
Actually not that much. Nethack is designed to basically be solvable. If you can beat it once you can beat it every time, the real challenge comes from solving the early game with all the classes. Most of the endgame is the same with anyone.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

I want a PC port.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually not that much. Nethack is designed to basically be solvable. If you can beat it once you can beat it every time, the real challenge comes from solving the early game with all the classes. Most of the endgame is the same with anyone.

Nethack is so solvable that people have made bots that play Nethack well enough to ascend all on their own.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah Nethack's only got two portions of the game that are touch and go. The first is the early game (before you've completed Sokoban and cleaned out the Gnomish Mines), which is readily apparent by looking at the top deaths on NAO (http://alt.org/nethack/topdeaths.html), and noticing that literally everything except wands that ends games more often than ascension are encountered in the first ~5 levels or so. The second is the very end game, which starts after you kill the Wizard of Yendor, because that rear end in a top hat will continue to respawn and harass you at the most inconvenient times until the end of the game. But nothing forces you to start that sequence, so you can prepare forever. That being the case, if you die in the end game, it was almost certainly your fault in a pretty big way.

Beyond the early game, what's gonna get you killed in Nethack is just not knowing what's next. I'm pretty sure everyone who's played the game unspoiled has died at least a couple of times to not knowing how a cockatrice works. But if you read a wiki for a while it substitutes as skill.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, I bet millions of people would be lining up to pay for a series of 15 year old games that they never bothered to play the first time around

It worked for ff7. There's a dream it could work for an actual good game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Adam Bowen posted:

Too bad Crytek hold the keys to the franchise and are content to do nothing with it but slyly reference it every few years.

The CEO even said "Yeah I'd love to remake it but it'd cost too much money I guess so nah"

EDIT: Sarcastic as you are being, they still hold up pretty well today as far as FPS's from the early 2000's go.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 2, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they may do but they sold pretty badly all things considered and it's not like crytek has money to burn

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RE: roguelike difficulty i've been playing Brogue, and that game seems to go in the opposite direction where it's literally not possible to win more than a small fraction of games because the game's stingy as gently caress with resources and you starve to death if you don't dive constantly

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 3, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

come at me

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Nasgate posted:

Final Fantasy 7 probably sold more copies in their weakest region than all of the Timesplitters worldwide sales combined. It's not a question of quality. My grandma has heard of Final Fantasy, but even most gamers wouldn't have any reaction whatsoever if you told them Timesplitters was coming back.

Judge Tesla posted:

Too bad Crytek hold the keys to the franchise and are content to do nothing with it but slyly reference it every few years.

The CEO even said "Yeah I'd love to remake it but it'd cost too much money I guess so nah"

EDIT: Sarcastic as you are being, they still hold up pretty well today as far as FPS's from the early 2000's go.

I never played them. They looked pretty good as far as FPS games for console babies go, I'm just laughing at the idea that there's a huge demand and millions of dollars waiting to be grabbed by rereleasing a completely forgotten game series.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Adam Bowen posted:

Final Fantasy 7 probably sold more copies in their weakest region than all of the Timesplitters worldwide sales combined. It's not a question of quality. My grandma has heard of Final Fantasy, but even most gamers wouldn't have any reaction whatsoever if you told them Timesplitters was coming back.

#woha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what's a timesplitters

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

what's a timesplitters
It was an FPS series made by ex-Rare guys that made Goldeneye. The third game, Future Perfect was really fun.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I've been replaying Blast Corps. I'm trying to get back to Full Platinum status. Thoughts for tonight:

gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash you one armed cocksucker gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash is the controller loving broken let me try another one nope I still loving suck gently caress you backlash why is peaches better than me? gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash how did I miss that loving tree again goddamnit why does that happen stupid loving trees get out of my way gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you balista gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash why don't you loving turn skyfall turn goddamn turn stop just loving go back up why are you so lovely gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash GODDAMNIT DIAMOND loving SANDS gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash this loving thing is useless why are you walking backwards thunderfist gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash eight tenths of a second really gently caress you.

Backlash sucks.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 3, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

what's a timesplitters

Vin Diesel is the main character

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Forced a friend to play Shenmue for a while and it made me realize even further just how boring Shenmue is. The second one is way better though.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

Only actually played this one from the series but yeah, :agreed:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Timesplitters was only noteworthy for being an actual functional PS2 launch title and Timesplitters 2 had the dam level from Goldeneye with next-gen graphics, we were all lucky that the industry was more forgiving so Future Perfect could have a chance to exist.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Skunkrocker posted:

I've been replaying Blast Corps. I'm trying to get back to Full Platinum status. Thoughts for tonight:

gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash you one armed cocksucker gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash is the controller loving broken let me try another one nope I still loving suck gently caress you backlash why is peaches better than me? gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash how did I miss that loving tree again goddamnit why does that happen stupid loving trees get out of my way gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you balista gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash why don't you loving turn skyfall turn goddamn turn stop just loving go back up why are you so lovely gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash GODDAMNIT DIAMOND loving SANDS gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash this loving thing is useless why are you walking backwards thunderfist gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash gently caress you backlash eight tenths of a second really gently caress you.

Backlash sucks.

Time to get moving

Yeah backlash is the worst. My gamepak is 3 away from full plat :

diamond sands,

Gibbons gate FYI gently caress PACMAN

And orion plaza

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is REvelations 2 worth getting for PC? Does it have offline coop now?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
soon...

spent seasons 1 and 2 mostly getting all the rare spawns and all the collectibles, hardcore, and co-op stuff.

Now I'm actually running pretty far into the greater rifts for this season. I have nearly half of the achievement points for Season 3 after just starting the other day.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 3, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

soon...

spent seasons 1 and 2 mostly getting all the rare spawns and all the collectibles, hardcore, and co-op stuff.

Now I'm actually running pretty far into the greater rifts for this season. I have nearly half of the achievement points for Season 3 after just starting the other day.

do you spend all of your life gaming and on the sa forums? do you not work?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

do you spend all of your life gaming and on the sa forums? do you not work?

These achievements really are not a lot of work. With a friend you can bust a pretty significant portion of these out in a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

These achievements really are not a lot of work. With a friend you can bust a pretty significant portion of these out in a weekend.

its not just diablo3, its all games all the time speaking about playing them.

• Locked thread