Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

plan nein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Microsoft? What is that, some kind of toilet paper? LOL! :~]

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
So, you used to work at Microsoft?

Yep sure. I used to come up with names for all the special folders.

The special folder names in Windows?

Yes.

"Program Files", is that one of yours?

Sure is. I thought, "This is where we'll put the programs. On the file system. And since they're gonna be made out of files, I'll stick the word "Files" on the end. With a space in the middle. People are going to be typing this all the time, so they'll want it to be as long and descriptive as possible."

And what about System32 is that yours?

Yep. I thought, "these files are 32 bit files. So I'll put them here."

And that was pretty successful?

Yes. I did such a good job naming it System32, that nowadays it contains all the 64 bit files as well.

Then what happens to the 32 bit version of the 64 bit files. Where do they go?

Well they can't go in System32, because on a 64 bit machine, System32 is where the 64 bit files go. So if we're running a 32 bit executable we lie to the executable and tell it that "System32" points at another folder, called SysWOW64 and that's where we stick the 32 bit files.

Why is there a 'WOW' in the middle of the name?

I was typing System64 and half way through I just thought: "WOW, nature is beautiful!"

And the 32 bit files, they go in SysWOW64, since the 64 bit files are in System32?

Yep. (Laughing) Oh I took a lot of meth that day, my friend.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Microsoft? What is that, some kind of toilet paper? LOL! :~]

fail

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

hey guys I found a video about why every os sucks (and blows. lol!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

jony ive aces posted:

OS X is, since 2001, a 2-bit operating system

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

So, you used to work at Microsoft?

Yep sure. I used to come up with names for all the special folders.

The special folder names in Windows?

Yes.

"Program Files", is that one of yours?

Sure is. I thought, "This is where we'll put the programs. On the file system. And since they're gonna be made out of files, I'll stick the word "Files" on the end. With a space in the middle. People are going to be typing this all the time, so they'll want it to be as long and descriptive as possible."

And what about System32 is that yours?

Yep. I thought, "these files are 32 bit files. So I'll put them here."

And that was pretty successful?

Yes. I did such a good job naming it System32, that nowadays it contains all the 64 bit files as well.

Then what happens to the 32 bit version of the 64 bit files. Where do they go?

Well they can't go in System32, because on a 64 bit machine, System32 is where the 64 bit files go. So if we're running a 32 bit executable we lie to the executable and tell it that "System32" points at another folder, called SysWOW64 and that's where we stick the 32 bit files.

Why is there a 'WOW' in the middle of the name?

I was typing System64 and half way through I just thought: "WOW, nature is beautiful!"

And the 32 bit files, they go in SysWOW64, since the 64 bit files are in System32?

Yep. (Laughing) Oh I took a lot of meth that day, my friend.

I wish this would never stop

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like how windows still has a 32 bit version, a 64 bit version, regular, pro, European edition, China edition, poors edition, poors European edition, and bow with windows 10, a version for your raspberry pi based fire alarm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Microsoft missed a huge opportunity not naming it windows x.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
microsoft is so bad that Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken actions to crush threats to that monopoly, including Apple, Java, Netscape, Lotus Notes, RealNetworks, Linux, and others.[15] Judgment was split in two parts. On April 3, 2000, he issued his conclusions of law, according to which Microsoft had committed monopolization, attempted monopolization, and tying in violation of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Microsoft immediately appealed the decision.[16]

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
everytime someone bootsbup steamos gabe newell buys a new knife to jack off with

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
he mustn't have very many knives then :xd:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
For user-critical applications, Ubuntu relies on the best efforts of its community of volunteer contributors such as myself

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

For user-critical applications, Ubuntu relies on the best efforts of its community of volunteer contributors such as myself

That is a terrible burn, you are a good contributor and a fine poster

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ShadowHawk posted:

You get what you pay for :v:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 3, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i'm going to make a patch for ubuntu so that the first thing you see when you set it up is a montage of hellos from all over the world

it would also be very amusing to open this as a PR apropos of nothing

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
micro$haft winblows
anroid

uhh... internet exploder

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm going to make a patch for ubuntu so that the first thing you see when you set it up is a montage of hellos from all over the world

it would also be very amusing to open this as a PR apropos of nothing

yeah, a montage of hello.jpg more like

pram
Jun 10, 2001

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Wild EEPROM posted:

Microsoft missed a huge opportunity not naming it windows x.

x gon give it to ya

(it = bluescreen)

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Tokamak posted:

plan nein

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Linux will take over the desktop. Unfortunately no one will be using desktops by that point. Linux will then take 5 years to figure out why no one cares it finally took over the desktop.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the poo poo shall inherit the earth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you even have kids

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

echinopsis posted:

do you even have kids

It's funny how yosposters, the socially retarded nerds who post on SA to escape their unbearably depressing lives, are always very keen to randomly mention for no reason that they have kids and/or a wife and yes she does indeed give him The Sex.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its coz its part of normal human lives. its interesting to me that it stands out as being so weird and unusual to you.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

It is a part of normal human life. In fact, it's so absolutely normal and mundane that it is completely baffling to me why some people in this forum cannot go 5 minutes without reminding everyone that actually yes believe it or not there is someone on the planet willing to sleep with them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
becasue we talk all other kinds of shiot. what i cooked foer dinner, what i drank, what i cooked wwith, my car, my poc, my mouse. other "mundane" poo poo so if we also talk about sex then.. what? u jelly bro

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

black pete posted:

It is a part of normal human life. In fact, it's so absolutely normal and mundane that it is completely baffling to me why some people in this forum cannot go 5 minutes without reminding everyone that actually yes believe it or not there is someone on the planet willing to sleep with them.

lol nobody is willing to sleep with you

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

atomicthumbs posted:

lol nobody is willing to sleep with you

Actually that's not even remotely true. You wouldn't know about it though because it's not the kind of thing I feel the need to post on a computer forum.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
black Pete has sex with all the superstars of yospos, y'all are just incredibly loving jel.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

echinopsis posted:

becasue we talk all other kinds of shiot. what i cooked foer dinner, what i drank, what i cooked wwith, my car, my poc, my mouse. other "mundane" poo poo so if we also talk about sex then.. what? u jelly bro

Remember that time you binged on drugs and had a meltdown in the video game thread or whatever, and so many people were worried that precisely one person cared to ask?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

children are stupid

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
"LINUX is a monolithic style system. This is a giant step back into the 1970s. That is like taking an existing, working C program and rewriting it in BASIC." -- linux torvalds' operating system professor

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

black pete posted:

Actually that's not even remotely true. You wouldn't know about it though because it's not the kind of thing I feel the need to post on a computer forum.

and yet you have

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

do you even have kids

what are you melting down about now

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

your off spring is a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ