Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

RPS' coverage of this has been weirdly schizophrenic.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/03/mad-max/ (John Walker giving a pretty negative set of "impressions" while suffering flu and headaches)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/10/mad-max-review/ (John Walker slaughtering huge chunks of the game then finishing with "it's fun I guess 7/10 standard")

Some bits I just can't understand - he loathes the storms, Chumbucket, the way the harpoon works, etc.

Help me understand why people hate this cool and fun game so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm not going to throw him under a bus for his grilling of the conman.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ledenko posted:

I can sort of understand it - I don't think this is an overly enjoyable game if you're not a fan of the setting. It seems to be a car game mostly to drive you from one point where you do fisticuffs to another where you do the same without much variation. Boss fights are all pretty much the same. There are hundreds of locations with tiny amounts of scrap and are not particularly interesting. There aren't that many quests with meaningful interaction, seems like there's only extra padding (gotta upgrade your car to do something which means tasks like clearing an area) to make it longer.
There's probably other stuff - but I've had an amazing time with the game, put like 30 hours into it the first two days of getting it. I'm having some trouble explaining what made it so much fun, the answer is probably the atmosphere because some of the gameplay elements lack that something extra to make it really shine.

Most of the small scrap locations feel like little vignettes of life in the post-apocalyptic wasteland to me. The reward isn't the scrap, it's the veracity of the world. Do boss fights become a big thing? I've done two so far in ~20 hours. They were a refreshing change from the rest of the combat.

One thing I don't think gets mentioned in these reviews is how upgrading your car goes from "make your car better" to actual decisions on how you want your car to act; speed / armour / weaponry becomes a matter of personal choice and preference rather than just blithely upgrading poo poo.

I also don't get how the same people who loved Shadows of Mordor - flower picking, confusing mess of upgrades, rear end in a top hat main protagonist and utterly humourless sidekick - are queuing up to slag this one off.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Yeeeeah, I'm going to go with this poo poo is stupid. On the scale of shits to give pixel butts in video games wouldn't even register when it comes to issues concerning women or people in general. Getting upset over video game asses, abs, boobs, pecs or whatever is a colossally stupid issue to be upset about.

The fact that it is somehow an issue that is coming up for this game is even more retarded.

I dunno man, portrayal of women in media - and Blizzard's poo poo is incredibly popular - is a legit thing for people to get pissed off about. I mean, you may not agree with it, or want to see the whole argument dumped in the bin, but it's not colossally stupid to take issue with it.

Anyway I'm certain SA has heaps of threads about this stuff and it's a tangent of a tangent :)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I've only just started getting into this: how much of the story do I need to do before I can just get out into the wasteland? I just got to Jeets stronghold.

You're pretty much ready.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kin posted:

Urgh, what's the point of letting me harpoon the guy out of the convoy truck and then hijack it if when i drive it back to the base, the game just tells me the vehicle isn't collectible and it doesn't mark the convoy as being completed.

Now i've no idea if it'll respawn or if its bugged, but it's loving stupid.

To be fair, the game tells you whenever you get into a collectible car.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kin posted:

That's not really a useful mechanic.

It just shouldn't have let me pull out the driver and get in.

Because why the hell would it not function like every other car you get into after that?

It does. Some of the other cars aren't collectable either. The way you can tell is that when you get into a collectable car, the game tells you can take it to the stronghold.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I remember when I discovered that. There's a little scrap area with the skeleton of a woman huddling with her child in a half-buried boat that has a particularly sad history relic, and as I walked over there was a lizard hiding in the shade that I could just stomp on. I wasn't sure if that was deliberate given that they died of starvation :(

So many of the scrap areas have a lot of pathos.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, at least one of the Archangels is a reference to an AC/DC song - The Jack. There are already well-known AC/DC references in the films (I'm a rocker, I'm a roller!). I don't have the time or AC/DC knowledge to really comb through them, but I bet some or all of the rest of the archangels are either direct or oblique AC/DC references.

Is it not just a reference to it being the jack of all trades?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Lazlow posted:

So what do I need to do to keep the classic black jacket, shotgun, and Interceptor with a new game (on pc)?

You can't keep the interceptor.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Deakul posted:

I think the devs have abandoned the game, we're not getting any DLC and it feels like they're done with the patches.

Amused to read this an hour before notification of an upcoming patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Plus it's loving amazing when a storm rolls in off the desert ocean when you're nearby.

• Locked thread