Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Jackapol posted:

Wow this game is such a breathe of fresh air for me.

For me, a setting I like and solid open-world mechanics are much more important than 'taking risks' for the sake of it.

All open-world game mechanics are variations on the same things - melee, shooting, driving, stealth, climbing things/exploration. There's only so many varieties of activities/encounters/missions you can use them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I do prefer the FC3/FC4 approach of letting you clear outposts for good. I wouldn't have minded the attacks on the FC4 outposts if they weren't as frequent and only happened right on leaving the safehouse.

But the FC2 outposts really aren't that big of a deal, if you planned your route you could go from a bus stop or safehouse to a mission marker without having to cross more than one. I think it fit the style of game more anyway, things were more organic than neat and game like. I.e. having to use a paper map instead of minimap, not radar for stealth, etc.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
If you could disarm minefields without the buggy, (e.g. on foot with a metal detector) and it gave you a heap of scrap it would be much better.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Done all I'm going to do in this game. All missions, relics, camps, upgrades, encounters and scavenging locations. Not going to bother with races, challenges and vehicles.

Overall I liked it. Everything was rough around the edges, but each element worked well enough to be enjoyable as a whole. Really I think you couldn't recommend this unless you were interested in Mad Max/post apoocalyptic desert and had the kind of OCD that makes sweeping a map to tick off objectives fun.

Story was really daft, you're supposed to be attached to these 2 characters that feature about as much as the stronghold leaders but you'll kill Chumbucket with no hesitation?

Stank Gum''s race was poo poo. It was like they set out to make a mission that emphasised all the frustrating parts of driving and vehicle combat.

The very final mission throwing thundersticks at Scrotus was very underwhelming.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Got a bit of choppiness during vehicle combat on PS4, but never the constant 5 fps slideshow people on the internet were braying about.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Now that I finally got this with the Humble Monthly, I remember there was something that I was supposed to be on the lookout for. Something like "don't finish the outpost upgrades until..."

I can't remember what it was and it's driving me crazy, any idea?

Nothing comes to mind.

Fully upgraded thunderpoon makes the vehicle combat kind of trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Fuel and water arent scarce but it still is convenient to get refills when fast traveling to the bases.

• Locked thread