Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

I still want to see what DRM this is going to use :ohdear:

It'll probably just be Steam. That's what WB mostly uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tensokuu posted:

I can't help but feel like we were told this before about a game (Dragon Age Inquisition?) and it turned out the console launch was fine but the PC port was bug-city.

Yes but Avalanche hasn't had a bad PC port. Just Cause 1 was okay and 2 was ported excellently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The only game Denuvo caused issues in was Lords of the Fallen and that was 50% the games lovely coding

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

So it looks like your car never actually explodes and can always be repaired. That's different to most games, except maybe like, Arkham Knight or something; lots of games like this, you just grab whatever car you can. Think I even saw a bit where he expended some scrap to have Chumbucket repair it while it was still rolling.

Yeah, you just get dumped out if it takes too much damage. You can only really die on foot.

(Or if a storm just blows the car up. They can do that.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can get other cars but they seem to be rewards, not stuff you steal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

They are probably lovely compared to the main car and don't have chumbucket to repair them for you though (he sticks in the main car and brings it to you if you need it).

I see them as preconfigured versions of the main car. You also use them in some missions/activities.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

If you leave the edge of the play field it'll randomly generate storms and terrain as you drive out. Near as I can tell it's going to be entirely a fatal choice to do so, but there might be some achievement or something for "Survive off map for X minutes". As for how random the random generation is, who knows.

The big reason to risk the storms is that they apparently contain large caches of scrap. It's a risk/reward thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

As a pedantic reminder, Valve is located in Washington, but Washington is not located in Eastern Time; Washington State is in the Pacific time zone, about 3 hours difference.

Yeah but their midnight releases usually are still EST.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I watched one where he had to blow up a gate and there was a giant prompt about using the fuel can (AND character dialogue from Chum about using it) but instead he took a good 5-10 minutes of trying to ram through it instead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

But holy hell is this the single longest weekend I've ever experienced.

I've got both MGS V and Mad Max sitting on my PS4 hard drive just waiting for the unlock....

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJCQVLNQGU

If you're like me and you have no willpower and you wanna see what the first hour or so of the game is like check this out. A fairly competent player has the prologue up and roughly 40 minutes of stuff right after that.

I'm glad Chum is so likable considering we're spending so much time with him. I was worried he'd be grating.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

Has there been any Youtube stuff showing the Big Nothing? I'm curious to see if there's anything out there despite the name.

One of the polygon vids goes out there iirc. It's endless storms and bigger scrap piles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Nah WB almost always has release date embargoes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Muttonchips posted:

Why would they revoke the keys? Are they not a legitimate site or something?

They're grey market. So the keys might be stolen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

If they're smart, they'll do none of this, considering how the Mad Max franchise is blatantly set outside of any sort of timeline. Personally I feel like they did the right thing by doing their own thing, but the fact that it's got a son of Immortan Joe and Gastown makes me roll my eyes a bit.

I'm pretty sure Gastown's mentioned in at least one of the other movies.

What they should do is make sure any appearance of mentioned locations DIFFERS from the movie or previous game version.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leather Bear posted:

Reviews are popping up. Polygon gave it a 5, Gamespot 6, IGN 8.4, another big site gave it a 7.5.

Polygon's review is mostly whining about archetypical and sexist characters. It's like they don't get Mad Max at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's definitely a very "love it or hate it" game going by those two reviews (and the polygon streamers.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still picking up the game first thing tomorrow morning but that IS dumb as dogshit considering the movie it's being released in the same summer as.

It was spoiled a bit by one of the official streamers She's not really much more of a love interest than Furiosa. She gets captured and enslaved, but it's actually HER who comes to Max's help later on instead of him doing the rescue, apparently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I didn't get to play yet but can you swap car bodies later? Just might be nice for variety.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Later on you can get teams that'll collect any scrap dropped in their territory for you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

:\ I hope the dog turns up OK later....

Make sure you do Chum's sidequests at Jeet's.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

My girlfriend is having trouble with the scrap crew actually collecting scrap. How exactly does it work? The game was still "running" on the main menu on the PS4 but the console was in rest mode overnight connected to the Internet.

There's two crews. Scrap crew is the passive one. Cleanup crew is the one that automatically collects ground scrap for you. Make sure you're not mixing them up.

I think you have to go back to the stronghold to get the scrap also

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BitterAvatar posted:

So how exactly do you find the big crates in the storm? I sat through one but never saw anything flying around to harpoon. Do they show up after its over?

They show up on the minimap.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'm not going to throw him under a bus for his grilling of the conman.

He also tried to turn an convention Q+A into a soapbox criticizing the devs' female character designs with his first "question" in a complete rear end in a top hat way. And then whined on RPS with a whole article about them cutting the interview short.

Walker is an idiot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I apologize. I was actually misremembering. It was Grayson when Walker was off on leave.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/blizzard-on-heroes-of-the-storm-female-designs-in-mobas/

And the whine
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/re-that-heroes-of-the-storm-interview/

While I don't disagree with his point, he (and most of RPS' writing team) seem to go about things in the most arrogant and entitled manner.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 11, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

Am I just completely hosed on that whole quest chain?

You should be fine. Said character will be available again later and worst case scenario the game resets a bunch to be available postgame.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lazlow posted:

Whoever decided that defusing 93 mines in this game would be fun just needs to never be allowed to make games anymore

Armor up the opus and just roar through them. Goes so much faster.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There really should have been a way to siphon gas from cars and less fuel cans around.

Would've been a "reward" for disabling enemy vehicles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Two cards is common on newer laptops. It's a power saving feature.

In the card controll panel you should be able to force the game to run on the more powerful card

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

Better yet, the hood ornament IS a car.
I seem to remember reading about an unmarked history relic somewhere in Pink Eye's stronghold, possibly on/by some cots in an out-of-the-way corner?

There's one in Deep Friah's place too, but you're more likely to come across it doing the projects.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Nooooooooo, chum!. :( That felt really mean-spirited, even in the context of the situation.

Yeah, that just doesn't fit in the game as a whole to me. Well, it fits the game but not Mad Max as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Now that I finally got this with the Humble Monthly, I remember there was something that I was supposed to be on the lookout for. Something like "don't finish the outpost upgrades until..."

I can't remember what it was and it's driving me crazy, any idea?

It can create a bug if you completely upgrade a stronghold before finishing the story, iirc.

Just don't bother investing in the stockpiles until last (and only if you want the achievements, they're otherwise worthless)

• Locked thread