Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm stoked for a mad max game of car combats and barehand batman fights in the desert. such a shame this game will be loving destroyed in sales since it had the hilarious misfortune of announcing it will release on the same day as MGS5 aka "Kojim'a Swan Song"

That's going to be a very poor, but very fun week for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Also, found this the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JPB4b3Zck

A roguelike on Steam--what if FTL-style gameplay was mixed up with Mad Max? Looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried it?

It's okay. I do enjoy the base mechanics and combat, but I hate hate hate the writing and the missions are kind of lame. It's hard to recommend, but there is a fun game in there, as long you can look past it's flaws.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Furiosa's arm had a grapple, albeit short range, so here's hoping.

Or at least she appeared to shoot a hook out of her sweet rear end arm, anyway. I want to believe.

There's a harpoon with a tow line you can get for your car. The tow line is an object as well, so, in the example they gave, if you nail a car with it and another car drives between you two the second enemy car will snag the tow line and probably rip off whatever chunk of the first car the harpoon is anchored on.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Would it really be an Avalanche game without at least one ridiculous accent?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I honestly think they should redo some things to make the game look like this. I really enjoyed the gametrailers preview video there and the game does sound fun as heck, but you don't need to mute colors of a desert wasteland to get across the world is messed up. Things being colorful in Fury Road added to the movie.

To be fair the first three movies have fairly dull colors. I'm guessing they referenced those far more than Fury Road, since Miller hadn't even started filming when they started working on the game.

That said the brighter colors do look way better, and I hope they notice.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Is it just me or did they fix the color palette to better match Fury Road?

I was thinking the same thing, but I can't really tell for sure.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This has the last part of the stream. This one starts right after they switched players, so there's about a twenty minute overlap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWfInsWeDA

Game looks really good.

There's all kinds of little things I really like about it. Like how instead of having track indicators you follow the bloody tire tracks, and that the devs described the shotgun as the games smart bomb. The canteen is a great idea, and I'm glad that didn't just go with regenerating health. The combats nice and crunchy, and seems satisfying.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 14, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I just found out about this today and now I'm excited. Is there an ETA for the PC port or is it more of a "Whenever it's finished" sort of thing?

Same release day as the console versions.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
My copy finally showed up. I decided to look at the manual while waiting for the game to install. It's just one page that consists solely of a picture of Max driving through a bunch of exploding cars while firing his shotgun.

EDIT: Also Amazon emailed me an extra Ripper code for the PS4 for some reason. I guess if you somehow didn't get it and want it send me a pm.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 2, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Well, it's not wrong.

Honestly it's the most helpful manual I've seen in years.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I got in car brawl during a lightning storm and and lightning bulls-eyed the enemy driver frying him.

Later I was bashing a warboy in the face with a club and he excitedly screamed, "This is the best way to go!" right before he died.

Chumbucket notices and comments on everything which is really cool, I was cruising along and happened to glance over at the moon, and he started talking about how he didn't like the looks of it. It's also impressive how little he repeats himself, even when talking about the same thing he has all kinds of variations of stuff to say.

Games cool.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfcfwheL5_g

Gamespot reviewer explains his scoring, sounds like very reasonable complaints to me.

I just kind of clicked through the video, but I have disagree with two of the points he brought up. He didn't like the fact that you can carry infinite (or at least a very large) amounts of scrap and that there's a fast a travel. Basically he wanted the game sacrifice game play for verisimilitude, which is just a terrible idea. I've played Cataclysm:DDA long enough to know that kind of stuff adds only tedium and zero fun. He may think that it sounds like a good idea, but in practice it rarely works and the game would have been worse off for it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

Would you trust or want to read reviews of rap albums from Fox News?

I know what you're saying here, but you have to admit this would be freaking hilarious.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone figured out the balloon in Wailing Wind, Pink Eye's territory? The generator for the winch is out of fuel, and I can't seem to refuel it.

This is kind of confusing, but you actually have to refuel the balloon itself and not the generator. I think you have to stand next to the box looking things hanging on the side of the balloon basket to do it.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 2, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gently caress the ROW posted:

Seriously though what's the deal with the big empty stuff, just the general gist of it?

Unless I misunderstood, the big empty stuff is just the edge of the world, the game let's you keep going and generates terrain for you to gently caress around in. Those caves are for a mission.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I like how if you fall too far Max's bad leg goes out on him and he hobbles around for a bit.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I was bashing it out with a Buzzard when all of a sudden he exploded and my car's health dropped to zero for no apparent reason. Turned out we were so busy trading paint that we ended up driving straight through a minefield.

EDIT: Also, I found out why there's gas tanks on both the balloon and the generator. The generator controls the winch the balloons attached to, and can run out of gas as well.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 4, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

"So, uh, there's a rule that you can't kill the War Crier. Don't know if you know that but that's the rule."

"Don't suppose you need anyone that can inspire people with music? I've been doing this for years."

If only I could drive my own DOOF Wagon of spared War Criers with maybe Chumbucket as the flametarer. I mean they put a loving wrecked model of a WAR RIG in this game so you know I want more content where I can drive and fight around one of those Dragons of the Wastes. :allears:

My favorite so far is:

"You're not supposed to kill me. You know that right? I'm just a little drummer boy."

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

PS4 touchpad stopped working during the game on both controllers. Swapped games and they worked fine. Still didn't work when I started Max again. Went to see Griffa (since I thought it was the closest thing that showed up on the minimap) and it worked again.

If you pick up some scrap it'll start working again for some strange reason. No clue what causes it or why that fixes it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A few screenshots. I forgot to turn subtitles off, but some of them are kind of appropriate:

A little late on the button with this one, but I'm glad I caught the dude zip-lining:

If you look closely in this one you can see Max getting knocked rear end over tea kettle. Unfortunately I couldn't get the Warboy splatting against the wall like a bug on a windshield in frame and still have the picture make any kind of sense:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Some more pics.

This is just a scavenge location not really a spoiler. If your having fun discovering that sort of stuff though you may not want to look because it's a neat one. It's the location right next to where the mission you get Gut Gash his steel ends:

http://imgur.com/YaSB730
It's made of a whale skull and bones.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

It also is amusing hearing the non-Aussie pronunciation of Dinky-Di. We tend to stress the "Di" as "die" not "dee".

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not even Australian and I immediately pronounced "Di" in my head as "die" from the moment I saw it in The Road Warrior. But then Chumbucket doesn't even sound Australian, he just has a "generic crazy old coot" voice.

Now as for what a "Dinky-Di" is I have no idea.

Americans pronounce that way because here the word dinky, like Chumbucket says it, is a term for small or unimportant. It looks like some cute nonsense word based off that to us.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 5, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I think we're talking about two different things here. I know "Dinky", I meant the second part of that hyphenated phrase, "Di". I mentally pronounced it "Die" when I saw it in the film and then Chumbucket pronounced it "Dee".

Yeah I totally misunderstood. That makes way more sense.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Hmmm okay, thanks for the tip. :cheers:
I'll do another walkaround in the Stronghold.

The oil well in Jeets is near the top of the stairs to the right of where you spawn in.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Either my game is bugged (playing on the Xbone) or I'm blind/retarded, because I don't see anything. :saddowns:

You're talking the concrete stairs, not the rusted metal ones that lead to where Jeet is sitting, right?

Yeah the concrete ones. If you walk towards the back area above your car it should be near the railing to your right.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just noticed bad guys become terrified of you after awhile. They'll burn off away from you and their buddies will floor it in the opposite direction and leave them to die.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Shotgun owns:

And even Max thinks some explosions are worth looking at:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

I really wish there were enemy vehicles with War Boys riding in back throwing thundersticks. Feels like the one missing piece for car chases, a vehicle which isn't trying to ram you but is instead playing keep-away trying to get some ranged attacks in. The friendly fire potential alone would be hilarious.

I imagine right now their hands are full working on patches for the launch bugs, but I hope they announce plans for DLC or gameplay updates. Still crossing my fingers for a hard mode, NG+ with the unlocked endgame items. Base game is fine, gimme a challenge mode for us masochists to lose ourselves in.

I know there's pick-ups that have their beds filled with warboys that can all have thundersticks. I don't know if they throw or suicide bomb you with them, because nailing them with a thunderpoon is probably my greatest joy in this game.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The best utility I've found for the sideburners is when you get stuck in a grinding race with another car. Sure you could just side slam away, but I prefer making those fuckers melt.

I know everyone was talking about what an insane shot Chum is, but no one mentioned the fact that he can do this at 100 mph on post apocalypse roads:

And I impaled a warboy into his buddies then went into capture mode to soak in the carnage only to discover the baddest dude in the wateland:

Little hard to tell in the pictures but he's giving me the "I got my eye on you" gesture.

EDIT: I crack up every time I pick up a thunderstick and a warboy yells "Hey, don't touch that!"

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 10, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dvsilverwing posted:

Well then I got that for free without doing anything, I guess, unless my pre-order code gave me the Rockstar one for free too.

It's a promotional thing. Everyone should get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Wait, doesn't that car also bring tone deaf as poo poo real adverts for said energy drink?

I just mean it's free to everyone not that it's a must. I think those ad type thinds are just there since I didn't download it and still get them.

• Locked thread