Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Totally forgot we're not doing kickers...I guess my last two picks will go towards more depth bullshit!

Took Dennis Pitta in Round 22...If my Gronk star falls halfway through the season there's a slight chance the Pitta star may rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

timp posted:

Totally forgot we're not doing kickers...I guess my last two picks will go towards more depth bullshit!

Took Dennis Pitta in Round 22...If my Gronk star falls halfway through the season there's a slight chance the Pitta star may rise.

Yeah, I was totally gonna take a kicker this round and after shaking my tiny fist at the dropdown for not showing me any I realized we didn't have kickers

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Quick snag up all the remaining defenses so Gyshall can't start one.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

VDay posted:

Don't mind if do

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

heheh he took all the RBs so it's only fair

(we should just leave him one defense it's way too early in the season to be that much of a dick)

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I mean at this point a 0 might be better than some of the defenses left

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

VDay posted:

I generally dgaf about defenses in MFL10s so have at it, ya'll.

Zypher posted:

I mean at this point a 0 might be better than some of the defenses left

This, I'll take a zero at that position in best ball.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"poo poo someone took Geno Smith already."

-A thought I actually had.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

VDay posted:

"poo poo someone took Geno Smith already."

-A thought I actually had.

Trying to decide between a crapload of QBs who will start half the year at best is why I ended up with Danny Amendola. So this is why drafts don't go 20+ rounds.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Spoeank posted:

Trying to decide between a crapload of QBs who will start half the year at best is why I ended up with Danny Amendola. So this is why drafts don't go 20+ rounds.

In May.

Never forget: it's loving May.

EDIT: we're all sick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cole Beasely and Rod Streater are wide receivers. Perhaps they will catch balls and maybe score touchdowns. It is a possibility.

Actually I really like Cole's smile and they both have reasonably footbally names. And if Crabtree continues to underperform, Streater could become a regular target. Alternatively, if Crabs draws double coverage, Streater will be open sometimes. Who knows. It's round 23. Who else am I going to draft... Brent Celek? I don't think I'm going to need a fourth tight end.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Robert Turbin: There's no guarantee that Christine Michael is the backup, Marshawn Lynch is 29, and gently caress it I don't know.

Washington Redskins: New coordinator, massive investments in the offseason, playing St. Louis, Jets, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Chicago, and if Chip Kelly's Wild Ride falters then the Philly game in Week 16 could be awesome. OTOH the secondary is still held together by bailing wire and the hopes and dreams of children.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Almost done folks. I think next time I'll put the timer down to 6 hours for the last 8 rounds, with the recommendation that people pre-select their players.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
TWO DEFENSES LEFT!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gyshall didn't even draft a DST.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. I don't really get that. Your weekly totals don't matter, right? We're just accumulating points all year? Is there such a thing as a D/ST that ends the year with negative overall points?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. I don't really get that. Your weekly totals don't matter, right? We're just accumulating points all year? Is there such a thing as a D/ST that ends the year with negative overall points?

No, even the worst remaining one had ~110 iirc

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
...draft the last two defenses before Gyshal can!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think he's already done.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm not drafting defenses in this draft, AMA.

Leperflesh posted:

They do. I'm more than happy to forgo drafting team D/ST, as the best D/ST, the Philadelphia Eagles, scored around 8 points per game if it means getting a guy like Antoine Smith, who averaged 7 Fantasy Points per Game last year, which is better than the #2 ranked D/ST from last year. D/ST is not a "differencemaker" position in Best Ball, and I'm content to sure up my depth at RB/WR so that I have more exposure to positions that are more likely to average double digit points at other positions.

I did this same thing in a few other MFL10s last year and it worked out great, mostly because week to week the 10+ points I was getting from Kelvin Benjamin or Martavus Bryant, or the huge games where Big Ben were better than the ~5 points (at best) I would have gotten for the same draft pick capital at that same time.

I also can't justify drafting D/ST anymore, even in season-long. If we could stream in MFL10 I would be doing that, for what it is worth. Matchups are something you can play/control, but in best ball you can't do that, so I'll take a zero rather than draft one.

Also I do realize that D/ST can't score negative points in this league, but I'm still not convinced.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Interesting approach. The way I see it is that DST is such a variable position that I have a better chance of getting starter quality points than I would some third string guy.

Was debating Mallet, I think he might surprise people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Interesting approach. The way I see it is that DST is such a variable position that I have a better chance of getting starter quality points than I would some third string guy.

Was debating Mallet, I think he might surprise people.

Eh, with the third string guy I see his point. With the 9th string guy, well, at that point you're hoping that antone smith scores 9 more than the rest of your early round picks to make the DST not worth it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think his point fizzles when you're picking your 22nd guy for your roster. No way is that guy going to add more points for your entire season than you would get by drafting at least one D/ST. Your #6 RB might produce 20 points for you all year, by having that one big game; but by taking no D/STs at all, you're missing out on probably 100+ points.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

well I got autodrafted Stedman Bailey.. dunno anything about him or the St. Louis offense this year. Then I just took ZAC ATTAC STACY with my last pick. Go beat out Ivory and Ridley dude you were awesome for half a season 2 years ago!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm going to be very disappointed if Tim Tebow Slashfic doesn't draft Tim Tebow!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if Tim Tebow Slashfic doesn't draft Tim Tebow!

That was actually my plan for the last like 2 days, but I chickened out :( Went with the starting quarterback* for the New England Patriots. Figure maybe he'll have a decent game or two before Brady's back, which is more than any of the other scrubs I was looking at.

And yeah, the no defense logic doesn't make sense to me in a draft with 24 rounds. Especially when you have 11 running backs and 7 WRs. If the guys you took in the last few rounds are consistently doing well enough to get into your starting lineup than that just means that you're pushing someone else out. So while you have 18 guys fighting over 6 spots, even a lovely defense would pitch in 3-4 points every week.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
We'll find out in a couple months!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Gronk Injury + angry Tom Brady = Tim Wright, TE1 !

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
You guys just jealous of my Oakland Raiders D.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I drafted Johnny Football. 2nd to last in a 24-round draft, LOL. I wonder if he'll even play.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

I drafted Johnny Football. 2nd to last in a 24-round draft, LOL. I wonder if he'll even play.

Believe it or not that was the guy I had pre-selected.

So instead I pick the UMD guy who will likely not play, because Go Terps.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So what's the over/under for how many drafted guys will get season-ending injuries between now and when the season starts?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, now we just... talk poo poo for seven months?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

So, now we just... talk poo poo for seven months?

We criticize our terrible choices.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

VDay posted:

And yeah, the no defense logic doesn't make sense to me in a draft with 24 rounds. Especially when you have 11 running backs and 7 WRs. If the guys you took in the last few rounds are consistently doing well enough to get into your starting lineup than that just means that you're pushing someone else out. So while you have 18 guys fighting over 6 spots, even a lovely defense would pitch in 3-4 points every week.

True about the 24 rounds, but at each point in this draft where I could have taken a defense, I rather would have taken a skill position player due to three factors - we're drafting in May, I'm not spending :10bux: on this draft, and I would just rather have skill position players in best ball unless I know I'm getting a top tier defensive option.

Last year, I did a total of 36 MFL10s and had 11 rosters where I ended up with no DST position players. Of those I ended up with a 72% first or second place finish (8 rosters finished first or second which is $100 or break-even and a free play in MFL10 this year.

Here are some late round players I ended up taking in lieu of DST on those teams (average points are before MFL10 PPR bonuses):

code:
PLAYER				OWNERSHIP		        FPPG
Odell Beckham Jr. 		90%				17.2
CJ Anderson                     72%                             12.7
Mark Ingram                     72%                             12.7
Mike Evans			63%				11.8
Kelvin Benjamin			63%				9.7
Steve Smith, Sr.		45%				8.9
Brandin Cooks			45%				8.6
Jordan Matthews			45%				8.5
Kendall Wright			45%				8.1
Justin Forsett                  36%                             12.6
Michael Floyd			100%			        7.5
Michael Floyd was hot garbage for me, though. I'm surprised to see that he averaged 7.5 FPPG, but not that I had 100% ownership of him - I was reaching like crazy for him last year.

OBJ won me crazy amounts of leagues and MFL10s last year, but to get him on most of my teams I had to burn later round picks where team defenses were ones like the Redskins or Raiders:

code:
TEAM				FPPG
Philadelphia		        7.8

Green Bay			6.9
Buffalo Bills		        6.5
Houston Texans		        6.4
St. Louis Rams		        6.0

Pittsburgh Steelers	        5.6
Arizona Cardinals	        5.6
Jacksonville Jags	        5.5
Baltimore Ravens	        5.3
Carolina			5.3
Denver Broncos		        5.3
Detroit Lions		        5.3
San Francisco		        5.2
Minnesota			5.2
New England			5.2
Miami				5.1
Kansas City			5.0
Tampa Bay			5.0
Dallas Cowboys		        5.0

Indianapolis		        4.9
New York Giants		        4.9
Cleveland Browns	        4.9
Seattle Seahwaks	        4.7
Chicago Bears		        4.7
Tennessee Titans	        4.4
Atlanta Falcons		        4.4

San Diego Chargers	        3.9
New York Jets		        3.8
Washington Redskins	        3.6
Cinci Bengals		        3.3
New Orleans			3.2

Oakland Raiders		        2.6
So, given the choice, I'd rather take skill position players with high upside to replace the inevitable injured players at WR/RB/QB for the season-long, especially since there is no Waiver Wire in MFL10. Having depth at those positions gives you insurance and buffer for when Adrian Peterson gets suspended (or holds out lmao), Ray Rice beats his fiance, or when Josh Gordon decides to hit the blunt one too many times and you're left with zeroes at positions that get PPR bonuses.

Also look at where the Seattle Seahawks, a defense I saw drafted in the sixth round last year ended up in average points per game - a bottom-10 fantasy defense by the points per game stat. Similarly, a guy like Antoine Smith has the potential to score 6.7 FPPG, which is (slightly) better than 27 of the DSTs from last year.

I'm not saying this strategy is 100% foolproof, and it isn't what I employ each and every MFL10 but I'd rather have a depth of guys who can give me multiple high performance scores at my RB and WR positions. Also I realize a high percentage of my guys right now could whiff, and my reasoning is personal/anecdotal, but such is drafting in May and fantasy sports in general!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We criticize our terrible choices.

I was gonna do some team critiques last night... but then I got high

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obviously we kill time by setting up a fantasy movie league

http://fantasymovieleague.com/

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

That was a lot of fun, thanks everyone, and thanks to Beer for coordinating.

It would be fun to do some roster analysis and predictions as we get closer to the seasons to see how these teams are panning out / how much we got wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So it's been like a month and a half and I almost forgot about this.

For my own team: Gates got suspended, I still regret loving up and accidentally drafting Todd Gurley, but otherwise I'm still OK.

• Locked thread