Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

gregory posted:

I love how almost everyone's first reaction to this game is, "Hey, I like Jordi, he has personality and is an interesting character!"

Except it's a very one note personality and i would say he's almost as boring as Aiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

:words: about liking Watch_Dogs

Sombody else that actually likes this game?! :vince:

I'm surprised at the amount of people that bash this game into the ground over it not meeting up to it's hype (hell i'd say Destiny is way more guilty of this than WD was) but as a game it's actually really drat fun.

Juuuuuust don't take the story or the characters or ANYTHING other than the gameplay to seriously and it's great! I especially like the online aspects of it, barring the actual team based mods anyway.

Bearpigman posted:

As one of the poor bastards who wasted his money on the deluxe edition of this game, I can confirm that the Aiden statue is perfect for one thing:

Shooting other anime figures in the rear end

Which deluxe edition? Another thing WD (rightfully) get's poo poo for is like the 15 different editions so i'm not sure how much to make fun of you for wasting your money :colbert:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, the day-night cycle does work once you enter the main overworld. You can take a long-rear end time finishing if you're unlucky enough to get pursued by police, as you have to shake them to be allowed into your motel room.

I don't think W_A_T_C_H_D_O_G_S is a bad game by any means, just more mediocre than it has a right to be. A lot of the mass hatred it got was not for being outright bad, but for being hyped as Game of the Year material and appearing as basically a budget GTA clone.

The time of day will also rapidly change if you do a mission that is suppose to be at midnight or whatever and it's the middle of the day in a kinda neat looking effect.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I had forgotten they put "At Age 6" on her tombstone, just in case the players are to distracted by the spectacle of this marvelous game to do simple math.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's not weird for a man to tell another man that he's Kawaii, don't be such a japanophile :colbert:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

To be fair they also have "shoot man in face, or shoot man in leg while he's running away" as potential options.

the former loses you reputation, but the later gets you more but not as much if you had just baton'ed him to unconsciousness.

The leg shots are the only way to go on a good old fashion open world game cop killing spree and not completely tank your rep by the way. Which does basically nothing but add more incidental dialog at max (yeah it's suppose to do something else but it's not that significant i found) and the bottom it's almost like you're playing the game and you're dealing with ACTUAL people because they will see you on sight and attempt to call the cops.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Assassin's Creed has the same system of only having palette swap color clothes (at least until Unity, which was probably one of the best parts) and nobody complains about that.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Probably because the Assassin uniform looks decent, as opposed to the dumb poo poo Aiden wears.

You got me there, although Aiden blends into crowds about as well as most AssCreed characters do so it's even.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 10, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Calaveron posted:

"We've got an APB out, suspect is caucasian male, 6'2", wearing a gabardine, scarf, and three layers in balmy 70 degrees weather. Coat, cap and scarf all have the same symbo- oh, you got him already? Ok then."

"It was pretty easy, we were checking all the cameras when we saw somebody that was blurred out on 5th Street and went to take a look."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The car stealth is a pretty cool thing you can do against invaders since like Chip said unless they start actively looking in the window of every car in the area (which isn't always the best use of your time) they aren't likely to find you. Unless you do the OTHER vehicle stealth thing that most people don't think of that's just using the cover system!

Find a van or other kinda big vehicle with lots of concealment and then just kind of hug the walls to victory. 90% of people will be looking around inside the cars or in the area around the car while only giving a quick look on the sides and the front and back of a car since it's just right out there in the open and a lot of people don't think "just because he's not there now doesn't mean he won't be there later". You don't make a sound when moving around corners and it's relatively quick so combining that with how low to the ground your character model is when crouched behind cover and you can give somebody a really hard time just by taking cover.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If the game was even a bit self aware her line of "and you're exactly what i expected Aiden" would be a joke. But it's not, so it's an even funnier joke.

I've also just thought about what does Aiden use as his online handle? It's never brought up in game because it's not "important" but you'll see as we go on that just about everybody else has a nickname or screenname or whatever they use. Is Aiden just Aiden or is he just "The Vigilante" everywhere he goes?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I believe they actually say "La Volpe" which means Fox, which i only know because of the character of the same name in Assassin's Creed 2.

Confirmed Aiden Pearce to be a descendant of an Assassin. Watch_Dogs is now part of the AC series.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Guys there is another Digital Trip that is more absurd than Spider Tank. I didn't see it in the list when Chip was talking to the dealer so maybe it unlocks later or is pre-order exclusive or somthing? I won't mention it in case it does unlock later and people can see just how....strange it is considering you are playing as just Aiden himself.

Speaking of the dealer, he is completely useless since you can access all D-Trips through your phone! The dealers are a remnant of when they were planning on having you actually buy them as like a pill or something i guess? But then one of the 10 million people working on this game goes "hey guys these minigames are kinda fun, lets not have the players have to search out a vendor to get a one time play out of them" so they dropped the mechanic but either didn't care or didn't have enough time to erase all of the vendors from the map before launch.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 30, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

He does have that ability actually, it shuts down people from being able to use their guns for a few seconds actually. He also has the ability to do it in an area around him which is hard to do since it takes him a second to shoot himself with his fingergun :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

He kinda sticks his arms out and goes "Behold,Guns of the Patriots!" if that counts. Bonus hilarity points if the ability missed sombody who was just out of range or sniping or whatever and he gets headshot in the middle of the line.

Edit: https://youtu.be/iMRhZfb-QFM?t=70

Here's a gameplay vid of sombody playing Ocelot right as he uses said ability, judge for yourself!

I had also completely forgotten that he also has a special ability to create a time paradox in a deathmatch game and make it go on for a bit longer if the conditions are met.

If Phantom Pain's multiplayer is anywhere near as crazy as this was it's going to be :allears:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 13, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

That's what always surprised me about the online invasions and the multiplayer modes in general when the game first game out. On your screen you are always Aiden so i watched people run around trying to search the crowds in vain i'm just sitting here like "oh my god how can you not pick out Aiden loving Pierce out of a crowd i'm right here you moron".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Prototype also probably didn't get delayed for a year AND go through multiple re-writes. So they stuck with "horrible people eater is actually not as bad as actual person who's identity he's taken" thing for the whole development cycle.

Also sorry to anybody that might have been playing through Prototype for the first time, this thread isn't for you :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I think people are putting way more though into this games plot the the developers did. Or at the very least how the plot turned out after so many different re-writes and redesignes of Aiden's character.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Damien's motivation is that he wants Aiden to come back and help him be a criminal again. So when Aiden is like "uh no i'm not about that anymore" he forcefully makes him cooperate by kidnapping his sister-wife. He also wants to find out who the second hacker at the hotel in the beginning is. That's about the gist of it.

So not only did i try and drive around the bad guys like Chip did in the video. But the first time i attempted the mission i was thinking "why not just shoot the guys and rescue Jackson that way". The reason being the game fails you because it wants you to hack the train. There's also the vague story reasoning that he doesn't want his family to know he's a violent criminal? Although his sister seems to already know some of it considering she goes "oh god Aiden don't try fix our problems' way back in the beginning of the game so :shrug:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Watch_Dogs 2 is the story of Jacks becoming the new Vigilante and setting out to fix the image his Uncle/Dad ruined in the first game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Because why would Aiden do that to his own son nephew? Kid is only 10 after all he doesn't want to ruin his innocence.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So a neat thing about the Poker game that you didn't get to see is that you can actually use your phone and cheat to see everybody else's hands! Because for some reason there are camera around in this dudes basement?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I do like that most of these mechanics are still in newer AC games. But ever since Brotherhood introduced the execution streak option there's almost no point to them. Or at least until Unity the combat degenerated into "hit man until you do canned finisher animation, move stick to nearest man and mash, block and counter kill as necessary to win". Granted the execution streak was harder to do at first and even now you can throw a knife or use your gun to kill a guy instead and finish a fight stylishly.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So what you're saying is that a literal 14 year old bully is a better character than Aiden Pearce.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I had completely forgotten about that "seamless co-op" thing that they did for the first trailer! I guess that's why every goddamn mission ends in a police chase then? So that sombody could invade and help/hinder the person playing? I'm almost sad that we didn't end up with people complaining on forums how they were almost done with this drat level and then some random rear end in a top hat invaded their game and got them killed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's a shame that the PS2 doesn't seem to recognize most modern USB microphones, at least none of the ones i have anyway. I have to control her with the controller and it's very annoying

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I noticed when Chip checked the Botanical Gardens landmark that the guy that was the Mayor of it wasen't the guy with the Rayman avatar.

Has our dear mayor abandoned Watch_Dog's Chicago?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

That mission at the end of the video was so,so annoying the first time i was playing through this game. Chip didn't talk about it or show it off very well but the cops aren't searching for you so much as trying to box you in the entire time and if you are seen at all you have to start it over and listen to that whole conversation over and over again.

I also love how Nikki talks about Aiden being the vigilante like it's a new thing to her. Which maybe it could be, she's been kidnapped for the past unspecified amount of time and probably wasn't allowed a TV. But then she says THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE that she was watching the news about Aiden's rampage of violence and destruction and questions if that was all him.

So i guess she missed the 2 separate newscasts in the main plot that specified Aiden was the Vigilante? Did she or did she not watch TV while being trapped an elementary school Waste Treatment Plant?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I wonder how many customer support calls the Ubisoft store has to deal with that are just like that privacy invasion. Or at least they hoped they get people that are that upset about their Aiden figurine they just bought.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

A shame that something like MGS2 will never happen again, not with the way information gets leaked out so easily these days anyway.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Now that X-Com has been super revived maybe now we can go back to investigating/shooting super cool looking Geometry aliens set in a 50's background with perma-death squadmates? I still really want to play that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Well that's Liquid being gay vicariously through Ocelot. You assumingly beat the hypnosis off of Ocelot right before he dies? So it technically wasn't him.

• Locked thread