Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

8ender posted:

If this doesn't pan out you need to look into Italian cars if you're going to find something less reliable

Like, maybe a Fiat? Maybe one of their subsidiaries would have something that might interest him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Raluek posted:

Like, maybe a Fiat? Maybe one of their subsidiaries would have something that might interest him. :v:

I know he's just been delivered a fusion of American and Italian ingenuity but I mean something thoroughly Italian like my co-workers Lambo that managed to flatten its battery and not start again for 2 weeks in a shop afterwards because he left the radio on with the door open for a half hour.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Congrats on finally getting the new car!

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
That car is beautiful man. Fantastic colour.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

8ender posted:

I know he's just been delivered a fusion of American and Italian ingenuity but I mean something thoroughly Italian like my co-workers Lambo that managed to flatten its battery and not start again for 2 weeks in a shop afterwards because he left the radio on with the door open for a half hour.

The last time Das Volk touched a Lamborghini, it had to be towed home.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well lets just say I'm waiting to see how this one turns out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Coredump posted:

Well lets just say I'm waiting to see how this one turns inside out.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Considering this car is going into Death Valley for its first major trip, it could get interesting. I would like recommendations on places to see in the southwest - we're going to be following the old route 66 for a bit, do the extraterrestrial highway, and Zion/Bryce. Points of interest or favorite parks out there would be great to know about.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Das Volk posted:

Considering this car is going into Death Valley for its first major trip, it could get interesting. I would like recommendations on places to see in the southwest - we're going to be following the old route 66 for a bit, do the extraterrestrial highway, and Zion/Bryce. Points of interest or favorite parks out there would be great to know about.

Load up on water and non-perishable food.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Das Volk posted:

I like US 60 across New Mexico. Tight and twisty on the border, then a completely straight line through the Very Large Array. An old sign out in front of the VLA used to list speeding fines up to 100MPH over the limit. You read that right: posted fines up to 155MPH. At or around the end of that is I-25 and The Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM, home of the best Green Chile Cheeseburger in the world.

I was gonna recommend driving up Highway 666, but they renamed it to Highway 461. It has Mesa Verde and some other cool stuff on it. Chaco canyon, Acoma Pueblo, and other old Native Amercian sites are all out in that neck of the woods, too.

And almost no police of any kind.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Das Volk posted:

Make sure you do it on Friday the 13th.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Das Volk posted:

Considering this car is going into Death Valley for its first major trip, it could get interesting. I

Last Will and Testament.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Das Volk posted:

Wow what a machine. Looks like the interior's pretty similar, oh hey it's got a numbered badge!

:ughh:

I missed the announcement of this thread, but I am going to be looking forward to any and all updates with anticipation. This photo and emot will be your bestnext avatar.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Das Volk posted:

http://www.arizonaroadadventures.com/CoronadoTrail.html

I just did this road last weekend with a group of 40-50 cars. It was a great ride.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Das Volk posted:

Hike angels landing at Bryce. Google it if you want but the pictures won't do it justice. You'll be on a trail with a 1000 foot vertical face for an edge just feet away and end up on a very small plateau overlooking the canyon. I did it like 20 years ago and still remember how it felt at the top.

Arches national park is awesome too. The hikes are cool and there's plenty to see from the car as well.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
If you're passing through Vegas, hit me up. I wanna see this car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awesome color. Hopefully it's better built than all your other american cars.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sten Freak posted:

Arches national park is awesome too. The hikes are cool and there's plenty to see from the car as well.

I made this suggestion to him in the chat thread. Arches is awesome

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
:raise:

quote:

2014 SRT Viper Break-in
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain
(engine, transmission, and rear axle) in your new vehicle.
Following these few simple guidelines is all that is
necessary for a good break-in.
For the first 500 miles (800 km):
• Keep your vehicle speed below the legal, posted speed
limit and your engine speed below 4,000 RPM.
• Avoid driving at a constant speed, either fast or slow,
for long periods.
• Do not make any full throttle starts and avoid full
throttle acceleration.
• Use the proper gear for your speed range.
• Wait until the engine has reached normal operating
temperature before driving at the recommended maximum
break-in speed.
• Avoid excessive idling.
• Check the engine oil level at every fuel fill.
NOTE: A new engine will consume some oil during the
first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This
should be considered a normal part of the break-in and
not interpreted as a sign of difficulty.

quote:

2015 Dodge Viper Break-In
0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an
extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more
than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and
observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more
than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower
gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually
(paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator
pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and

For the first 1500 mi (2414 km):
• Do not participate in track events, sport driving
schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 mi
(2414 km).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So when can you do a burnout???

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Looks like they forgot to add for the 2014 model:

Dealership employees:
At 500.1 miles, please do not do neutral drops or burnouts in the parking lot

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

So when can you do a burnout???

I'd say "immediately."

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It doesn't say you can't accelerate the engine gently to 3500RPM and then drop the clutch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Can't wait to the color on this thing in real life. Hopefully I'll actually end up seeing it before it succumbs to your curse. :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
We had a rare bad weather day so I really didn't get any great pictures, but I did get in some break-in miles. I'm very carefully following the break-in procedure, and it helps that the roads around here let you carry silly speed without really trying. This was what I really expected when I bought the Viper the first time around though. The TA 2.0 is a vast collection of little improvements and tweaks over the base model. The Bilsteins ride much better than stock, the car handles noticeably better, the brakes are much stronger, everything about it is dialed up 10-20%. Even the base stereo is a huge improvement. Anyway, the one decent picture from today -

Anyone wanna guess what this is? :v:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
That is the best loving color.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's a jumper wire for an auxiliary port somewhere in the instrument panel harness, manufactured by Fiat, it fits 2013 through 2015 Vipers. I'd tell you more but my wiring diagram source doesn't cover cars that new. Since it doesn't appear to have a connector on the far end, I'm guessing it's not an ESC or ABS disable cable, probably a plugin power port pigtail for hard wiring a radar detector? :getin:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

a plugin power port pigtail for hard wiring a radar detector? :getin:

We have a winner!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

That's a jumper wire for an auxiliary port somewhere in the instrument panel harness, manufactured by Fiat, it fits 2013 through 2015 Vipers. I'd tell you more but my wiring diagram source doesn't cover cars that new. Since it doesn't appear to have a connector on the far end, I'm guessing it's not an ESC or ABS disable cable, probably a plugin power port pigtail for hard wiring a radar detector? :getin:

:wtc:

And I thought I was a sperg.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
When I read wiring diagram source I wasn't thinking a reference volume, but more some shady back alley electrical engineer deal.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Quite A Tool posted:

When I read wiring diagram source I wasn't thinking a reference volume, but more some shady back alley electrical engineer deal.

So you've met Kastein, I see.

:v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

:wtc:

And I thought I was a sperg.

What? A man needs to read something in bed before going to sleep.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

What a loving apocalyptic sound that thing makes. It feels like the end of the world is outside the windows.

If I had the cash on hand, I ... let's be real. I wouldn't buy one. I would be dead within the week.

Thanks for the ride earlier today -- glad to have gotten it while all the rods are still inside! Enjoy the road trip.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Christ that is a beautiful machine.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn that color is beautiful. If you ever decide to roll through Arkansas for some ungodly reason, let me know. I'd love to shoot some photos of that thing :allears:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, that blue looks incredible. The TA is the sweet spot between streetability and performance for Vipers. On the extreme end:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The asymmetry of that stripe makes me twitch.

This picture, though, captures my question -- what does the blue look like in real life? In the pictures you posted, DV, the car looks like a pastel blue (like an original '90 blue Miata that has faded), but in the picture above and what The Linux Fairy posted, it looks like it may have a darker depth to it that could be quite awesome... does it have somewhat of a shift in person?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

The asymmetry of that stripe makes me twitch.

This picture, though, captures my question -- what does the blue look like in real life? In the pictures you posted, DV, the car looks like a pastel blue (like an original '90 blue Miata that has faded), but in the picture above and what The Linux Fairy posted, it looks like it may have a darker depth to it that could be quite awesome... does it have somewhat of a shift in person?

It's been really hard to capture the color, to the eye it looks much darker. Doing HDR with my phone makes it look much brighter so I'm pretty sure that there's some color shift going on, it reminds me of Santorini Blue on BMWs but different somehow.

Linux Fairy made a good point yesterday using Clarkson as an example, that what can be said about cars above a certain level is undifferentiated. Looking at the specs for the ACR, I find it difficult to imagine something faster still, and the analog nature of the car really takes it into uncharted territory for most drivers.

The Linux Fairy posted:

What a loving apocalyptic sound that thing makes. It feels like the end of the world is outside the windows.

If I had the cash on hand, I ... let's be real. I wouldn't buy one. I would be dead within the week.

Thanks for the ride earlier today -- glad to have gotten it while all the rods are still inside! Enjoy the road trip.

You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it, hopefully this one is going to last.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That color is perfect. Does the V10 require unicorn piss in terms of oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That color is perfect. Does the V10 require unicorn piss in terms of oil?

Not as high a price as the BMW Castrol TWS for M cars, but there's an "SRT formula" called Pennzoil Ultra. I'm not sure how it differs from other oils but there's some certification level it has that others don't. I'm taking the "early and often" option for oil changes, it's getting one at 500 miles tomorrow before we set off.

• Locked thread