Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Volk posted:

Not as high a price as the BMW Castrol TWS for M cars, but there's an "SRT formula" called Pennzoil Ultra. I'm not sure how it differs from other oils but there's some certification level it has that others don't. I'm taking the "early and often" option for oil changes, it's getting one at 500 miles tomorrow before we set off.

Not a bad idea. I just did a quick google, at 10 bucks a quart, that's cheap insurance. (as long as it doesn't call for something stupid like 3 gallons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I hope its something like at least 6 gallons because Viper.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The asymmetry of that stripe makes me twitch.

This picture, though, captures my question -- what does the blue look like in real life? In the pictures you posted, DV, the car looks like a pastel blue (like an original '90 blue Miata that has faded), but in the picture above and what The Linux Fairy posted, it looks like it may have a darker depth to it that could be quite awesome... does it have somewhat of a shift in person?

Unless there's a Detroit precedent for it, I assume "French blue" is a trademark-friendly euphemism for Alpine blue, in which case it should look very close to a blue Alpine or blue Renaultsport. Aka gloss Smurf blue.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Smurfgasm :allears:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Did you do a massive donut/burnout with the old one right before you turned it in?
If not, for shame. I need to see it in person at some point.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Not a bad idea. I just did a quick google, at 10 bucks a quart, that's cheap insurance. (as long as it doesn't call for something stupid like 3 gallons)

Probably a little less than 3 gallons as the bearing material in the bottom of the pan can displace some of the oil

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Extend your trip to near the Coachella Valley so I can see it! Joshua Tree is nearby... Actually I'd avoid the valley, sand storms have been frequent and you don't need that everywhere!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

8ender posted:

Probably a little less than 3 gallons as the bearing material in the bottom of the pan can displace some of the oil

tech specs say 11 quarts, so you are spot on.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Built by a man in a barn with a hammer, then wired by the italians. Only good things can come of this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Das Volk posted:

Wow what a machine. Looks like the interior's pretty similar, oh hey it's got a numbered badge!

:ughh:

I laughed so hard the neighbors knocked on the door to make sure I was okay. That was an awkward conversation.

Bahgawd that blue color is stunning.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Das Volk whipped by me on the highway the other day... that car is pretty mean looking. The color is awesome, and those LED accents on the headlights! :swoon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:10bux: says they intentionally set it up to be #13.

"That'll teach that.. that guy that blows up engines and lemon laws Corvettes... right guys? Hey hold my beer.."

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Looks like all I need now is to get Euclid's C-Finder from that kid...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You driven through any tunnels yet? I can't imagine that's any fun when you cannot stomp on it yet. (how many more miles 'til it's broken in?)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ether Frenzy posted:

You driven through any tunnels yet? I can't imagine that's any fun when you cannot stomp on it yet. (how many more miles 'til it's broken in?)

Break-in is done now, so I can make the jump to lightspeed anytime I like :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Niiiiice. Let's get some video (audio) of that in action!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Break-in is done now, so I can make the jump to lightspeed anytime I like :v:

Have you done a slide? Is it sketchy as balls?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Have you done a slide?

It's a Viper dude. That happens like every time you put it into gear.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Saga posted:

Well, it's no Super Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Saga posted:

I was gonna say, he's gonna have to start at idle in 3rd since he stopped on dirt/rock. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I expected a trip report by now.

How is the new one holding up?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

meatpimp posted:

Das has suffered the fate of all Viper owners; to go backwards off the road into a tree at 170 mph. :ohdear:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bape Culture posted:

Have you done a slide? Is it sketchy as balls?

The new suspension is waaaaaayyyyyyy better at handling the car's power. I slid the old one around a bit and you could tell you're really playing with fire.

meatpimp posted:

TPMS got freaked out by the negative altitude in Death Valley, and has been throwing errors since, so I'll have to get that looked at. Otherwise it's doing well!

More photos:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Das Volk posted:

More photos:

I would be doing 180mph and blasting AC/DC's Shoot To Thrill.

gently caress me -I'd lose my license so fast.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
... why does the TPMS care about the altitude? Doesn't it only care about barometric pressure?

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Linux Fairy posted:

What a loving apocalyptic sound that thing makes. It feels like the end of the world is outside the windows.

If I had the cash on hand, I ... let's be real. I wouldn't buy one. I would be dead within the week.

Thanks for the ride earlier today -- glad to have gotten it while all the rods are still inside! Enjoy the road trip.

What bike is reflected in the side of the spoiler?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

... why does the TPMS care about the altitude? Doesn't it only care about barometric pressure?

Are you saying you don't understand the relationship between the two?

Edit: essentially the tires will show as having less pressure at lower altitudes because of the density of air at altitude. In case you were serious.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

SouthLAnd posted:

I would be doing 180mph and blasting AC/DC's Shoot To Thrill.

gently caress me -I'd lose my license so fast.

Not hardly. No cop ever patrols that far out. By all means. do loving 180 or all she's got.

Did you take the artist drive loop DasVolk?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

cursedshitbox posted:

Not hardly. No cop ever patrols that far out. By all means. do loving 180 or all she's got.

Did you take the artist drive loop DasVolk?

I couldn't, the road was shredded :( Good enough reason to go back though, we were already talking about going back next year in something AWD with camping gear.

And yeah, it's so incredibly sparse out there we got to play around with the effects of aerodynamics and air density. Turns out the car runs out of power at about 8000ft DA @ 164MPH, and the power meter reads around 550hp. Down at sea level it's pulling hard at 175 and measuring 740hp, for reference.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a video from years ago of a Viper doing 100+++ in the Nevada straights, catching a bump weird, and shooting off the side of the road. Long story short, the occupants were okay but went end over end for a while.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

God I did that exact drive last year, Fallon, Hawthorne, Tonopah, Rachel and ended in Cedar City. Boring as hell but a supercar would have made it immensely more enjoyable. We passed the time by hypothesizing what the SUVs with government plates were doing :tinfoil:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

El Jebus posted:

Edit: essentially the tires will show as having less pressure at lower altitudes because of the density of air at altitude. In case you were serious.

Lets all of us just drop this and not study to deep into it or the car will break itself further.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

fakeaccount posted:

What bike is reflected in the side of the spoiler?

First-gen Yamaha FZ1.

Das Volk posted:

More photos:

Have I mentioned what a nice looking car that is?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

El Jebus posted:

I quite understand the relationship between barometric pressure and altitude. I also understand that it's only about 1 kPa higher than at sea level at the bottom of Death Valley, about a 1% difference. If that's what's loving with your TPMS, then something is very, very wrong. I was more questioning whether or not they were stupid enough to actually base the software on (edit: GPS) altitude and have some kind of moronic unsigned integer for feet above sea level, which I absolutely could believe. It's Dodge.

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 22, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I quite understand the relationship between barometric pressure and altitude. I also understand that it's only about 1 kPa higher than at sea level at the bottom of Death Valley, about a 1% difference. If that's what's loving with your TPMS, then something is very, very wrong. I was more questioning whether or not they were stupid enough to actually base the software on (edit: GPS) altitude and have some kind of moronic unsigned integer for feet above sea level, which I absolutely could believe. It's Dodge.

I mean, if the military can make mistakes like that... http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f22-squadron-shot-down-by-the-international-date-line-03087/

I can't find any sources for the rumor about F-16 flight computers crashing when they flew below sea level in Israel, but it is a pervasive rumor.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Beautiful car; I'll echo the sentiments about the color, it's fantastic.

Does anyone have any links to threads about Volk's previous car?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wojcigitty posted:

Beautiful car; I'll echo the sentiments about the color, it's fantastic.

Does anyone have any links to threads about Volk's previous car?

The black Viper? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668031

I think the ones documenting his previous American purchases are all in the archives by now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

I think the ones documenting his previous American purchases are all in the archives by now.

I just assumed they were archived off-site. Somewhere like here http://www.lemonlaw.com/

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got go cane the hell out of a 2012 or 2013 or so six speed M3 yesterday, and with the smile it left on my face I can only imagine what daily driving one of those, much less a blue ICBM on wheels is like. Jesus christ. Granted, I only briefly managed to hit full redline to hear it sing once during the drive, but still, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

meatpimp posted:

I just assumed they were archived off-site. Somewhere like here http://www.lemonlaw.com/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread