Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I got go cane the hell out of a 2012 or 2013 or so six speed M3 yesterday, and with the smile it left on my face I can only imagine what daily driving one of those, much less a blue ICBM on wheels is like. Jesus christ. Granted, I only briefly managed to hit full redline to hear it sing once during the drive, but still, jesus.

I still think it's one of the truly great cars, those M3s. The engine is such a pleasure to listen to and the whole car's design makes great speed effortless. The Viper by contrast is bracing to drive even for people with loads of experience going fast. And by bracing, I mean it's mind destroyingly fast. There is NOTHING in my driving resume, including the 605hp 458 Speciale, that has the ferocity of this car.

This car is made of the stuff that gets you to the moon, and this engine is a Saturn V. Imagine these engine thrusts but compressed into the spacing of automotive gears, and separated by 1.5-2.0 seconds at the most: https://youtu.be/J99HJ-HofqM?t=64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Das Volk posted:

This car is made of the stuff that gets you to the moon, and this engine is a Saturn V. Imagine these engine thrusts but compressed into the spacing of automotive gears, and separated by 1.5-2.0 seconds at the most: https://youtu.be/J99HJ-HofqM?t=64

You haven't really felt acceleration until you've been on something that can cause a partial grey-out from acceleration.* :getin:

*a liter bike

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I took the car to a couple of track days, one at Sonoma where I don't know the line that well, and one at Laguna Seca, where I am a little more experienced.

This guy wanted to race:

That didn't go as planned, but his best lap of the weekend was a long way from mine anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jtQ9g9e40U

I'll post some more pics up later if anyone cares.

HotCanadianChick posted:

You haven't really felt acceleration until you've been on something that can cause a partial grey-out from acceleration.* :getin:

*a liter bike

I'll let z3n comment on that one

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
It kind of shocks me that Chrysler can build a really good sports car like the new Viper. It's kind of like discovering that Dell makes amazing monitors when everything else they churn out is garbage.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

8ender posted:

It kind of shocks me that Chrysler can build a really good sports car like the new Viper. It's kind of like discovering that Dell makes amazing monitors when everything else they churn out is garbage.

…for one year, then they discontinue that model or replace it with a TN panel with the same model number :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Das Volk posted:

I took the car to a couple of track days, one at Sonoma where I don't know the line that well, and one at Laguna Seca, where I am a little more experienced.

This guy wanted to race:

That didn't go as planned, but his best lap of the weekend was a long way from mine anyway...

We care. Post!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yes please post more pictures!

When I bought my new Jeep a few weeks ago I tried to talk the wife into letting me get this instead.

She was having none of that. :(

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Das Volk posted:

Aside from the wheels and tires was the Corvette stock?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
So now that you've done a few track days - how's the TA 2 in comparison with the old one? Everything and more?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Awesome video, once you got past those slowpoke beetles, it looks like you really opened her up! Also lol at the buzzy rx7.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

'Murica :911:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Das Volk posted:

This guy wanted to race:

I'll let z3n comment on that one

The car is loving fast, there's no way around that.

But if you dare, get on the back of the 1290. :v:

The thing that's awesome about a car like the Viper is the grunt it has - a bike accelerates you faster, but the car pushes with an inertia and thrust. Bikes are like jumping to lightspeed, the Viper is like getting strapped to a Saturn V.

Had a blast shooting around the track on a ride along though, totally awesome fun.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SFH1989 posted:

Aside from the wheels and tires was the Corvette stock?

Yeah, the car was pretty new, had the automatic 'box.

We were definitely going for a theme in our little group.

This GT40 kit was great, it shot flame on decel the whole time.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Okay, something i've always wondered about, the brakelights on those GT3s in front of you... what's up with them? They look like they're doing some weird strobing pattern when they slow down for corners. It looks neat and i've seen other high end sports / supercars do that, just never knew what it was.

Also, i'm insanely jealous. Your Viper sounds so amazingly good :allears:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Okay, something i've always wondered about, the brakelights on those GT3s in front of you... what's up with them? They look like they're doing some weird strobing pattern when they slow down for corners. It looks neat and i've seen other high end sports / supercars do that, just never knew what it was.

LED lights 'flash' quicker than the human eye; but cameras will show it. Solid brake LED brake lights, when captured on cameras, will flash like that. Much like how a computer screen looks wonky on video.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

T1g4h posted:

LED refresh rate going in and out of phase with the FPS being recorded by the camera.

edit: beaten

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

T1g4h posted:

I think that's just the PWM effect on the LEDs. They pulse them to vary their brightness, which can cause all kinds of funky effects on camera.

E: f,b

Did that Z06 puke up engine coolant or intercooler coolant?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Haha, thanks for the quick replies guys. That's one of those things that's always confused me, I just figured maybe it was some fancy feature :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MrChips posted:

I think that's just the PWM effect on the LEDs. They pulse them to vary their brightness, which can cause all kinds of funky effects on camera.

Looks like water dripping from the AC to me

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrChips posted:

It blew engine coolant all over the place, apparently he parked it after that. Someone said it was reading 305F on the engine oil and went into limp mode.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Did you drive his car or something

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I can always tell when cars behind me have LED headlights or surrounds. My mirror vibrates a shitload up and down at speed. Haologens and HIDs just get stretched into a vertical smear of light in the reflection, but because the LEDs pulse it creates kinds of a Knight Rider effect with the lights sweeping smoothly up and down the front of the car at varying speeds.

It's pretty neat seeing wagon wheel/camera shutter effects with the naked eye. :v:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Das Volk posted:

:911:

Das Volk posted:

It blew engine coolant all over the place, apparently he parked it after that. Someone said it was reading 305F on the engine oil and went into limp mode.

So the overheating issues with the Z06 weren't just the test cars or "not broken in yet"?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SFH1989 posted:

So the overheating issues with the Z06 weren't just the test cars or "not broken in yet"?

No, he was caning the poo poo out of it trying to catch me, but it's no excuse, ambient temp was 75F that day. I had to hang back for a couple laps to cool the tires off (and let him regain the half a lap or so to have another go) but as soon as we hit clean air on the front straight he dropped back and then pitted. The Z06 definitely has a real world problem.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Watching the Porsche go down the cork screw from behind looked awesome, but the I kg thing screaming 'get out the way' more than that engine is that color. What a machine! Great driving too, I can see how your M was beginning to be a limiting factor in driving.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Das Volk posted:

The real question is how did that charger do on the track? I bet you dont see a lot of >4000lb sedans at laguna. We can really only see the trunk so I'm not sure if it was a hellcat or not.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
DV, did you stay in contact with corporate through their FCA case system? I'm trying to figure out how much to bug them and how promptly they'll contact me.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

DV, did you stay in contact with corporate through their FCA case system? I'm trying to figure out how much to bug them and how promptly they'll contact me.

I started out with the SRT hotline and bugged FCA directly just for the legal bit of the actual buyback paperwork. Given your situation you shouldn't need any of that, I think once they realize what happened they should just put the parts on order and do it. I suppose you could ask for a cash equivalent too, and get the MCS remote reservoir adjustables from Woodhouse too.

You got any pics of that thing? It's nice to have another Viper owner in here!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Das Volk posted:

No, he was caning the poo poo out of it trying to catch me, but it's no excuse, ambient temp was 75F that day. I had to hang back for a couple laps to cool the tires off (and let him regain the half a lap or so to have another go) but as soon as we hit clean air on the front straight he dropped back and then pitted. The Z06 definitely has a real world problem.

That settles what my choice would be between the two American supercars I can't afford anyway. The Viper comes in better colors too. Maybe Chevy banked too much on the Z06 only being driven around at the speed limit by old white guys before getting trapped inside and dying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Das Volk posted:

I started out with the SRT hotline and bugged FCA directly just for the legal bit of the actual buyback paperwork. Given your situation you shouldn't need any of that, I think once they realize what happened they should just put the parts on order and do it. I suppose you could ask for a cash equivalent too, and get the MCS remote reservoir adjustables from Woodhouse too.

I don't wanna until it's all done and settled. That said, I can't reach anyone now. The Mopar/SRT case is closed somehow, and the dealer isn't super forthcoming.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SFH1989 posted:

That settles what my choice would be between the two American supercars I can't afford anyway. The Viper comes in better colors too. Maybe Chevy banked too much on the Z06 only being driven around at the speed limit by old white guys before getting trapped inside and dying.

That's sad to see, and I would bet that happened not due to a loose cable but due to the faulty key fob they put in those. Mine was intermittent the whole time I owned the car so I just got used to using the "emergency" door pull.

Here are a few more photos from the pro-tographers -

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Re: the blinking tail lights, I have seen that while on the track behind a GT3 before, it's a feature that typically only gets coded on Euro delivered cars but you can enable on a lot of brands (Mercedes in particular, my E55 was capable of it.) Not just an artifact of a camera, at least on the Mercedes it was intended to signal "hard" braking based on pedal position.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tremek posted:

Re: the blinking tail lights, I have seen that while on the track behind a GT3 before, it's a feature that typically only gets coded on Euro delivered cars but you can enable on a lot of brands (Mercedes in particular, my E55 was capable of it.) Not just an artifact of a camera, at least on the Mercedes it was intended to signal "hard" braking based on pedal position.

It's pretty convenient on the track, since you know how hard the driver is working the car as well as how much to modulate your own braking.

What's happening is LED lights put out a different amount of light, and rather than manufacture a bajillion different output levels in LEDs they use pulse width modulation to effectively change the light output over time. Hence the refresh rate differences.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This car is very cool and they should sell them in England.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tremek posted:

Yeah, A lot of cars do that now, even some basic hatchbacks.

That Porsche is probably a PWM effect, though. On all the systems I've seen, for a hard-braking flash, it should be all three lights in time with each other, and he doesn't look like he's braking hard enough all the time to set it off.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That car is so gorgeous and it's great to see someone driving it on track.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 1, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't know a loving thing about photography, but I really like how the light is playing off the surfaces of the car in this shot.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

This car is very cool and they should sell them in England.

If you really want one, I'm sure you could get one:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1500457&mid=0&nmt=importing+a+2015+viper+TA+into+the+uk
http://www.driveviper.co.uk/index.php

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw a Cadillac SUV with visibly flickering tail lights. I absolutely hate that.

Love the RX-7, and the Acura sedan amongst all the performance cars :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tremek posted:

Mercedes, I believe, pioneered it here in euroland. I saw it in person a few weeks ago when the motorway I was on suddenly stopped dead. Was behind a C-series wagon and we both stood on them. His taillights flashed, and it helped a lot. I could definitely see it catching the attention of a driver a crucial half second earlier, so I'm all for it.

• Locked thread