Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
DV, did you stay in contact with corporate through their FCA case system? I'm trying to figure out how much to bug them and how promptly they'll contact me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

I started out with the SRT hotline and bugged FCA directly just for the legal bit of the actual buyback paperwork. Given your situation you shouldn't need any of that, I think once they realize what happened they should just put the parts on order and do it. I suppose you could ask for a cash equivalent too, and get the MCS remote reservoir adjustables from Woodhouse too.

I don't wanna until it's all done and settled. That said, I can't reach anyone now. The Mopar/SRT case is closed somehow, and the dealer isn't super forthcoming.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do you leave the screen on auto brightness? It seems too bright at night on auto.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

I do, but I think it's independently adjustable from the rest of the gauge cluster. Keep digging in the settings, also check here - https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ most of the uconnects are at least a few versions behind by now.

I'm struggling to get the initiative to set up all the UConnect stuff. When the sales guy tried to run me through all the setup stuff, I was like, whoa buddy, I just want to drive the car. Coming from a car that barely had a touchscreen, I'm blown away that I can put songs on an SD card and have that read by the car. It's nice in a way to have all the gizmos and non-essential stuff tucked away into the screen, but Chrysler really half-assed it with the physical speedo. The digital one on the center gauge is still kind of wedged in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy poo poo what are car makers thinking?!?!?

One more reason to never sign up for UCONNECT. Though if they can sniff you IP from any regular UCONNECT phone-home activity, it wouldn't help.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Or disconnect the antenna and connect a 50 ohm dummy load with the appropriate RF connector to the port instead.

Speaking of antennas, the Viper's radio antenna is so weak. WTF, it's 2015. This is a solved problem. I got reception no problem in my basement parking in the Z06, but the moment I drive through the garage door, I get huge static in the Viper. When I get to my parking spot, it's nothing but static. Maybe they put the least accomplished engineer on things that don't matter to driving, but goddammit it's just radio.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

TBH it's probably the same active sharkfin antenna they designed for the 1997 Concorde or something.
The top of the windshield has one of those metal dot dealies. Is that just for Sirius, or does it also serve normal radio?
There's a pod on the top of the rear hatch, but I figured that was for the defrosting wires: http://i.imgur.com/yOLNFTo.jpg

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some of you mighta seen this in the monthly chat -- I bought a red 2014 SRT that was supposed to have the Grand Touring package, which has the dual mode electronic suspension and the GTS hood. There were 3 failures in the chain:
- somehow, the factory didn't build it that way, and no amended window sticker ever made it to the dealer. Maybe a fixed sticker never left the factory.
- the "Viper-trained" sales guy didn't spot the hood difference and didn't know how to activate the dual mode suspension. If he had, he'd have seen right away that the buttons were missing off the console
- I was irresponsible about knowing all of the details of the car I was buying and assumed that if it was on the sticker, it was on the car.

FCA gave me 2 options:
- check for the missing options, which I could use on a few aftermarket suspension options
- full buyback, which is what I went for

Today, their 3rd party finalized their proposal, which is 100% of what I paid, including taxes and financing. So $0 deduction for any mileage I put on it, which is nice.
I bring it in into any Chrysler dealer, they look it over for damage, with reasonable leeway for scuffs, chips, etc., and if they ok it, they hand me the check from FCA.

Unlike DV, because my car didn't experience a failure covered under warranty, I wasn't eligible for exchanging my car for MSRP-valued credit. If I were, I think I would have custom-ordered one, because MSRP is way more money than what I paid.

Instead I'm gonna take the check and probably deal with ViperExchange to get their new replacement dual mode suspension package, which is derived from their racing program. I just need to sit until the right base Viper comes along.

Since I've had the car, I've concluded that:
- red is an awesome color, though the attention is a bit much. Very few people noticed the black Z06.
- everything about the Viper needs to be vulgar, so 6-vent SRT hood is way cooler than the 2-vent GTS hood.

My friends are trying to convince me to do a farewell burnout before turning the car in, but I'm a little scared to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

I'm enjoying the update uconnect put out because my car isn't being rammed into a wall by hackers the Bluetooth is much snappier and the equalizer settings apply all the time now. I am a bit bothered that the car's got so much tech in it, but I'm thankful for the fully separate mechanical handbrake and manual trans.
Been lazy and haven't dug out a 4GB USB key to get the latest update. But on the current version, my SRT Power Pages launches with the initializing dots and then goes to a black screen, which I can dismiss to repeat the process. I'll bitch about it if it still happens after the update.

quote:

The first car I had, I worried that because the car was 2 quarts low on oil, I had contributed to its failure. I recently found out that the engineers looked at the dead motor, and its failure was due to a mis-machined #8 rod bearing, which apparently had happened on dozens of motors built around the time of my black car.

That was a big reason that I didn't take the check for just the suspension and keep the car. I didn't want to deal with the unknown state of the motor hanging over me all the time. DV's old car and mine are 50 VIN units apart.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sweating bullets as the car checked the firmware file and updated to the safe version of UConnect:

One of the modules was the wireless radio, and verifying that took forever. I thought it was frozen at one point. I wonder if there were multiple extra checks run on it?

Even if I'm a car guy, I still think of cars as appliances. This Internet-of-Things paradigm shift, where everything has to be enabled, is bugging me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

More e/n from me. So Chrysler uses a 3rd party company called ISG to handle buyback situations. A timeline:

6/25: I manage to get a case opened within FCA's ticket system, after navigating SRT's support system for a few days.
7/7: I escalate the case a few times myself before finally getting a person who can offer some remedies.
7/15: He passes me over to ISG, who sends me some forms to fill out. After shooting them a huge wad of data, they hunker down to prepare a buyback proposal.
7/22: I receive and agree to ISG's proposed buyback price, which is thankfully 100% of my taxes, fees, financing, etc.
8/10: I ask how things are. ISG says FCA cut the check and they're waiting for it to get mailed to the receiving dealership (where I'll turn the car in)
8/20: I check in again, wondering how long a check in the mail will take. Oops, ISG says no check was actually mailed. Any buyback that is more than $75k takes extra levels of approval, the status of which are opaque to me. ISG says this process can take up to 60 days. :wtc: how many extra people need to sign off on this?
I ask my one contact in FCA who handled my situation when I opened it up with the SRT service center. He said he'd try to expedite it.

So 2 months have passed, and I have no clue how far away I am from being able to turn the car in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mine's not even a lemon, at least not yet. I didn't do the 500mi oil change, but gonna do right by the future owner by getting a 1k change. It snuck up on me cuz I didn't think this process would take this long.

Have also been watching oil like a hawk thanks to DV's warnings. That said, if it's got a bad bearing in it, it's only a matter of time.

I'm really curious how they'll price it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The buyback 3rd party called and set up an appointment at the dealer closest to me. Apparently, I'm getting the whole check and am supposed to pay the bank's part back myself.

They also want the title back, which... is with the bank. I've asked them twice how they see this playing out, but have been given no confident answer. So I'm assuming this is not the only trip in going to have to make to get this sorted.

I've probably had a lot more neutral of an attitude about FCA going into this than most people here, but I'm so fed up with this.

Also, DV, did either of yours have a clutch that started chattering? I know your TA had some engagement consistency issues, but didn't know if chatter were present.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Me this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDN5DYsNk0&t=49s

After all that sweating, the turn-in process went pretty quickly. I'm thinking about a couple other Vipers out there, but mostly, I'm trying to relax and decompress from the whole experience.

e: oh, one more thing, after I turned the car in, I got this cool custom patch USB key in the mail:

I feel like I'm living in Hackers right now.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 7, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

I've driven lots of great cars over the years and it's still the best car I've ever driven. Team Viper did it right: Simplify, then add lightness. They applied extremely sophisticated techniques to keep their formula working, reducing complexity while improving performance. How they can afford to build a car with carbon fiber body panels and chassis development from Ferrari is beyond my understanding though. Underneath, the Viper is still basically the same car, but thanks to the extensive re-engineering, it's lighter, stiffer, faster, and has dramatically improved handling.

Do you want my copy of the SRT development journal picture book? It doesn't cover things in tremendous detail, but it goes address how they went from GenIV to GenV on a tiny budget. Basically, they warmed the IV over as precisely as possible. They did exactly 2 things to the engine (variable timing cam and better intake manifold) to pick up 40hp. And similar for the rest of the car -- try to target the most rewarding low-hanging fruit and deliver. This makes me think that, with careful aftermarket suspension choices, you can have a very fast GenIV, even if those are exactly super discounted yet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

How often each week would you say that you look at the car and think "holy poo poo I own that awesome childhood fantasy car"?

Some time mid-high school, I was at the grocery store and leafed through the current issue of Sport Compact Car. One of the editors was in his black 4th gen Camaro SS doing a burnout in a parking lot. His piece was about why he [a Socal Asian guy] was all about American muscle cars in an era of Japanese sport compacts. Keep in mind this was before F&F 1. His thesis boiled down to "because it has torque and doesn't apologize and goes against the grain." That mindset really stuck with me through all the years and definitely influenced my car purchases.

Not speaking for DV, but the car is way more fulfilling behind the wheel. For all the FAHVE HUNNERT jokes, I truly believe that the Viper makes a statement about America. When the V10 shakes to life in the front, and the exhaust opens up with a hideous cackle, you know you're in something different. That was the satisfaction the car gave to me. The gas pedal is 100% engineered savagery. I got way more buzz from settling into the seat than from looking at the car walking to or away.

That's not to say the car isn't also visually impressive. Despite all the wild curves and vents and cutouts, though, it's still a pretty small car. It has more presence roaring down a road then parked 20ft from you.
I had an insane twinge of jealousy when I saw a black one loping around the block when I pulled up to work one morning. That was the only time I had any tiny regrets about returning mine back to Chrysler.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

*Googles to see if the ACR is in fact classed as A Street Prepared for autocross*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apparently they issued a recall for oil contamination that could have caused engine failure?:
http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/12394-Gen-V-2013-2015-oil-consumption-RECALLS-R28-amp-R29/

If I'd known this was coming, I'd have been very tempted to keep the Viper and throw in Viper Exchange's electronic suspension package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is this a different thing to the bad #8 cylinder? Like they revised the build process or parts but ended up with another bad problem?

• Locked thread