Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Started this game for some reason at 4am to try it... Looks like I am not sleeping today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

There's a complete list of skins linked on the reddit here, dunno if it's kept constantly up to date but I'd assume it is.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
This is fun but there's way more lag now than this morning.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The top ten guys seem to take up a quarter of the map and farming spawns at this point. It was a good couple of minutes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'd probably buy this on steam for 5 bucks if it let you skin your own cell and the servers improved.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

14253 is my biggest orb so far, I'm just gonna chill in a corner and see how long it takes to deflate enough for someone else to eat me

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
This game is amazing for something so simple. There's a bit of luck involved but there's plenty of strategy with it too. It sure is getting a lot of updates fast. I'm hoping it gets team options eventually and some balancing around that idea now that it got greenlit on Steam. Playing with friends is fun but the perks are way too high if you're actively working together and no one else is.

If you are very huge, you might want to try splitting into 16 parts to eat the virus mines that are laying all over the place, they're worth 100 each and you'll get rid of them so they can't be used on you later.

You can use W spam on yourself to change which one of your orbs is huge. It takes some careful aiming, but you can get rid of people chasing after one of your small parts.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Smite posted:

If you are very huge, you might want to try splitting into 16 parts to eat the virus mines that are laying all over the place, they're worth 100 each and you'll get rid of them so they can't be used on you later.

Eat the virus mines? What? How? You mean just blowing up a chunk of yourself to detonate them?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Archenteron posted:

Eat the virus mines? What? How? You mean just blowing up a chunk of yourself to detonate them?

The cap on splits is 16 cells. At that point the viruses become food like everything else, because they have no effect on you. And they're worth a ton at 100 each, enough to get rid a lot of the decay penalty for being enormous. It makes being #1 way more fun; floating around as a single mass sucks compared to being 16 fairly large blobs and seeing the entire map, eating mines and rolling over everyone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man this game is hard.

EDIT: Is there really no button for combining? That's dumb.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 6, 2015

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Haha, I dominated an east server for a good hour as 'a tasty morsel,' but was eventually taken down by the #2, #4, and #5 players actively working together. They'd feed each other to pull off bait and switches and used defensive positions behind viruses to shoot them off to protect #2 when he was vulnerable, but it was fun kicking their butts and crushing the server for so long. It'd be neat to see a mode specifically balanced around team play, since it creates a lot of interesting positional tactics.

Definitely a great game with simple mechanics but a surprising amount of tactical depth. Looking forward to see how they expand upon it!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Smite posted:

The cap on splits is 16 cells. At that point the viruses become food like everything else, because they have no effect on you. And they're worth a ton at 100 each, enough to get rid a lot of the decay penalty for being enormous. It makes being #1 way more fun; floating around as a single mass sucks compared to being 16 fairly large blobs and seeing the entire map, eating mines and rolling over everyone.

I wonder if it's possible to get so big nobody can spawn on the map you're on.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008

Smite posted:

Wow, thanks for the info on this!

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.
I've had good results with calling myself "<--- Jackass" and then floating around next to people. Makes them do stupid things to try and get rid of you!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ran into somebody named "I'm Orbiting!" who did just that around my twin blobs. Unfortunately when they merged I accidentally ate him :(

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

Largest I've managed so far, started taking over JeSuisUneOrb and then he just gave up and suicided into me!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like making the biggest player even larger when I quit.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Personally I really like feeding #2 when I decide to quit. Always gotta root for the underdogs.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Does the game ever fill player slots with bots? I see the names "Kappa" and "Nate" pretty often but maybe it just pairs me with people near me, I can't imagine I'm randomly playing with the same people when there are 7500 players on usease alone

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Does the game ever fill player slots with bots? I see the names "Kappa" and "Nate" pretty often but maybe it just pairs me with people near me, I can't imagine I'm randomly playing with the same people when there are 7500 players on usease alone

kappa is a twitch smiley or something so I wouldn't be surprised if people use the name a lot

idk if "nate" is anything but a name though.

Dude posted on reddit that spectate mode is going to be live in "a few hours", so that's cool.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
A goon chasing down my phallic balls :(

Game is fun. It would be cool if there were some kind of official teaming mechanics...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Everyone says m'blob was cool but I was too late to see it. What was it supposed to be?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It had a fedora on top of the blob.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.
I enjoy naming myself "Bait" and building up to roughly the size of a spike ball. Then I hang out mostly inside of a spike as it deforms my size to look small enough for most players to overtake. To their surprise a large number of balls called "Bait" shoot off in all directions and I feed off my excess orbs to repeat the process in a new spike. This is also effective in high traffic areas if you can completely cover up a spike or be covered up by one.

In some cases they do overtake me and they themselves get turned into a shower of balls.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its cool to get way bigger than anyone else and then stop moving a screen away from a corner and when a reasonably large player goes into the corner you "wake up" and just slowly glide toward them and there is no escape

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't the edges just shrink everything down but keep going now?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is pretty fun. I very briefly hit #1 then someone shot a virus into me and knocked me down to #10. Didn't realize you could do that.

So I stalked him until I had the opportunity to return the favor. :getin:

EDIT: How exactly does recombining work once you split? Is it just an invisible timer or do you need to spend a certain amount of time letting your balls push towards each other without moving?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 8, 2015

NostrilBreaker
Mar 8, 2014

Sindai posted:

This is pretty fun. I very briefly hit #1 then someone shot a virus into me and knocked me down to #10. Didn't realize you could do that.

So I stalked him until I had the opportunity to return the favor. :getin:

EDIT: How exactly does recombining work once you split? Is it just an invisible timer or do you need to spend a certain amount of time letting your balls push towards each other without moving?

Just an invisible timer. The more mass you have, the longer the timer is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fun fact: if you use the ISIS skin, people will put serious effort into wrecking you.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Fun fact: if you use the ISIS skin, people will put serious effort into wrecking you.
Picking something like Ukraine on the russian server seems to have a similar effect.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I named myself PERUVIAN DOTO and got chased by every single player but two guys. Those fed me all the time instead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just played ISIS and got fed by a guy who kept spawning with the name DONATE TO ISIS, but then like 3 dudes boxed me in a corner and one of them ate me

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ErKeL posted:

Picking something like Ukraine on the russian server seems to have a similar effect.

playing on us servers as JEB BUSH 2016 was worse imo

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Is it down right now for anyone else?

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Europe is up atm.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Made it to 8th on US east and got wrecked when someone fed one of the green things, god dammit.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Feed me.

I always tend to play this when I should be sleeping. And then I get the one more game syndrome.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

4th US east until some "Ayyy lmao" jerk ended me.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I got to #8 on US East multiple times as ._. before being ended by multiple larger balls who all wanted a piece of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think one of my favorite parts of this game is the stupid names. Granted I say that when my best game (was #2) was as Gallon of Semen.

• Locked thread