Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Turbos are cool as poo poo but I just can't think it'd be better than a v8!

Heat
Reliability
Expense
Complicatedness

V8 wins on all counts. Hail satan.

Or you could have 1000+ RWHP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgRjAVtN7A

...in your daily driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRAnBgQ_B7M (series of 4 vids showing how to build up an S54 right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Tracking a motorcycle means you're willing to accept getting hurt, so it's something that everyone accepts without even talking about it. Crashes happen every trackday. :v:

Hell riding in general, never mind the track. I'd much rather have an accident on a track :3:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Turbos are cool as poo poo but I just can't think it'd be better than a v8!

Heat
Reliability
Expense
Complicatedness

V8 wins on all counts. Hail satan.

Can confirm, V8 is where it's at in a M3. If you wanted to save a lot of effort, I believe they may have made a model for a few years that actually came with one from the factory??

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can confirm, V8 is where it's at in a M3. If you wanted to save a lot of effort, I believe they may have made a model for a few years that actually came with one from the factory??

E9xs are insanely fail unless you have 120k to give to Tom schirmer to make it own.
They just don't feel fun and are v expensive to tear up!!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

Plz, do not fight. Here is a new pic

OP you are probably not this cool IRL. Aspire, it's all good. I believe in you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

OP you are probably not this cool IRL. Aspire, it's all good. I believe in you.

Cool? With that hair? It's not even a wagon. Start again OP.

I wish I had the disposable income to build an LSX E46 wagon :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

E9xs are insanely fail unless you have 120k to give to Tom schirmer to make it own.
do a burnout

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ether Frenzy posted:

do a burnout

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

Schrimer is the poo poo!!!

I dunno though, had a buddy who had an e92 6mt, was ess supercharged (non-intercooled) had stop tech trophy kit, and made 530whp. It was kind of a screamer. It made me fall for the e92's when I thought I was a die hard e46 guy.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bape Culture posted:

Unless he means an E46 M3 GTR?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sean10mm posted:

Unless he means an E46 M3 GTR?

Of which there are.. 5 or 10?

Silly BMW, should've made more road car M3 GTRs.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

do a burnout

I will :mrgw:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your house may do one with all the faulty wiring, be careful gentle a5h.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there any reason I should NOT buy glow in the dark goodridge brake lines? :mrgw:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Man they've come a long way since they just sold the grey ones... And you already know the answer.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

HELLO BEAUTIFUL

THEYRE FREAKIN HUEG!!!! :mrgw:

E: For scale!

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 19, 2015

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNDon9_82U

Is there a decent selection of pads available for em?

Like you said theyve had decent reviews and stuff but when I think k-sport all I can think of is insanely lovely coilovers. Is there any difference in brake bias?

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
obviously be sure to bed them in properly before trusting your life to them. That oil slick appearance of the rotors is probably a trialloy plating which will take time to burn off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Or you could have 1000+ RWHP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgRjAVtN7A

...in your daily driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRAnBgQ_B7M (series of 4 vids showing how to build up an S54 right)

A Good Idea right up until you go out of business and leave all of your customers high and dry.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNDon9_82U

Is there a decent selection of pads available for em?

Like you said theyve had decent reviews and stuff but when I think k-sport all I can think of is insanely lovely coilovers. Is there any difference in brake bias?

They're ap sizes mate. That's how I could get the pagids! :getin:
I'm probably going to be slightly over braked at the front, but I have a lot of friends who swear it's not bad! Will pick up a set of rears if I feel I need them though.
It seems the coil overs were fully crap but they figured out how to rip off good brakes pretty well :newlol:

Pierced Bronson posted:

obviously be sure to bed them in properly before trusting your life to them. That oil slick appearance of the rotors is probably a trialloy plating which will take time to burn off.

Aye of course! Rs29s will need bedding anyway. What's the point of the coating on the disc? Just so they don't rust in transport?

Also can anyone explain why people witter on about dust seals? It seems like even if they had seals, they'd burn off after hard track use? Also what's the best way to keep them clean? Surely not full disassembly every month?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

They're ap sizes mate. That's how I could get the pagids! :getin:
I'm probably going to be slightly over braked at the front, but I have a lot of friends who swear it's not bad! Will pick up a set of rears if I feel I need them though.
It seems the coil overs were fully crap but they figured out how to rip off good brakes pretty well :newlol:

Aye of course! Rs29s will need bedding anyway. What's the point of the coating on the disc? Just so they don't rust in transport?

Also can anyone explain why people witter on about dust seals? It seems like even if they had seals, they'd burn off after hard track use? Also what's the best way to keep them clean? Surely not full disassembly every month?

Oh wow, so they straight copied a set of ap's lol thats well cheeky. Yea I recon its harder to get a caliper wrong, especialy if you just copy someone elses.

My front calipers dont have dust seals either and the same caliper has seen use on rallycars, TVR Challenge and various e30 sprint cars. Very few people have needed new seals, I had a look recently when I was bleeding the brakes and they look fine. I dont realy drive it that much though and even less in the winter so ymmv.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You should definitely do a little brake math. They might work, or you might have hosed bias and too much piston area for the master cylinder.

Personally I won't touch any of their stuff Even if it's free. Some friends of mine got a set to try on their time attack car and they were taken off after about one test day.

If you don't want to spend the money on brembo/Apr/alcon whatever, stoptech makes good stuff and it costs less.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 19, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hmmm. I may have underestimated how complex a brake caliper actually is.
It's too late now and if I hate them I can always grab the aps and migrate most of the bits over so not a lot of money is lost.
Obviously I hope my little gamble pays off though :(

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
how big are the stock m3 brakes?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

320mm I think.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
You need to work out piston cross-sectional area.

Original single piston vs. total of the pistons on new calipers.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's not just piston area, you have to take into account the working radius of the pad on the rotor. But if they just took the caliper design wholesale from another company you might be able to find it here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=412927

IMO a little more rear bias isn't a bad thing if you are running suspension that reduces brake dive from stock.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 19, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Crustashio posted:

It's not just piston area, you have to take into account the working radius of the pad on the rotor.

Too complex for me. How do you even work that out?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The effective diameter is easier to just estimate. Radius to the center of the pad is generally close enough.

And then for piston area you just use one half of the caliper. A single piston sliding caliper moves the same amount of fluid as an opposed two piston caliper with bores of the same size because the piston needs to go twice as far.

So take the stock effective diameter and multiply it by the stock piston area, then do the same for the new caliper. To get things to stay even you need to go with smaller pistons given more of them and/or a bigger rotor. Smaller pistons give the benefit of moving less fluid and requiring more force at the pedal to get the same force at the caliper, but the loss of power is offset by a bigger rotor. More pedal force and less pedal travel is a good thing for feel and modulation.

Crustashio posted:

It's not just piston area, you have to take into account the working radius of the pad on the rotor. But if they just took the caliper design wholesale from another company you might be able to find it here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=412927

IMO a little more rear bias isn't a bad thing if you are running suspension that reduces brake dive from stock.

Suspension movement under braking doesn't really have a whole lot to do with bias. Less brake dive due to stiffer springs doesn't mean less weight transfer forward, and with stickier tires and more traction you are braking harder and transferring more weight, and could end up needing to go forward with bias.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 20, 2015

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah, derp.

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015
Not sure I'd trust my life or car with ksport. Going by their coils which are absolute poo poo. Hondas and Toyota owners run them because "stance" and cheap.

Saying they're a ripoff of AP's... That's like saying a ripoff set of Rays TE-37 are the same as the real deal structurally/strength wise. Then you bend them over a small pothole.

Good luck. But I'd never get on track with you on it :nexus:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SniperFox posted:

Not sure I'd trust my life or car with ksport. Going by their coils which are absolute poo poo. Hondas and Toyota owners run them because "stance" and cheap.

Saying they're a ripoff of AP's... That's like saying a ripoff set of Rays TE-37 are the same as the real deal structurally/strength wise. Then you bend them over a small pothole.

No. If someone 3 scanned some TEs and then forged them in the same way, from the same material, I'd happily run them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SniperFox posted:

:psyduck: You better never go near a trackday if you're worried about what Bape is running.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

:psyduck: You better never go near a trackday if you're worried about what Bape is running.

Arizona is like ksport central. I went to a nasaaz track day at chuckwalla to help set up a time attack car and it made me sad to see how much ksport stuff was out there. Thankfully the one i was with got new suspension recently, and to be fair, the ksport brakes on that car are working fine.

Also I took a ride with some kid and the car was bouncing all over the place and that is a smooooth track. Ask "so, uh, what suspension is on here?" And it was ksports of course.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Mooseykins posted:

You need to work out piston cross-sectional area.

Original single piston vs. total of the pistons on new calipers.

Confirmed. On my bud's old 240SX we installed stock 300zx 4-pot brakes up front without changing out the master cylinder and the pedal feel was touchy. It worked but was hard to modulate, and also the proportioning bias became incorrect.

Re: trialloy coating - not to talk poo poo about ksport but i have a feeling it's there to look "baller" or whatever, because most manufacturers just spray on a waxy coating to resist corrosion on the shelf.

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 20, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is a friend of a friend's ride. He's also yabbering about getting carbon panels because "seems like rust is a design feature on these"

BGW is apparently only an addition for his trip to Nurburgring.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

88h88 posted:

This is a friend of a friend's ride. He's also yabbering about getting carbon panels because "seems like rust is a design feature on these"

yeah, it sure looks like that car is about to fall apart from rot

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

He said he's poked a hole in the wing with his finger so I'd say never judge a book...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

BGW is apparently only an addition for his trip to Nurburgring.

Good! Any vids?
Are those 19s thought?!
Is he over the midlands way near you? Be interested to get his thoughts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It's not like a car can look presentable but have completely rotten sills or anything. Ask me how I know :gonk:

• Locked thread