Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Pierced Bronson posted:

Confirmed. On my bud's old 240SX we installed stock 300zx 4-pot brakes up front without changing out the master cylinder and the pedal feel was touchy. It worked but was hard to modulate, and also the proportioning bias became incorrect.

Re: trialloy coating - not to talk poo poo about ksport but i have a feeling it's there to look "baller" or whatever, because most manufacturers just spray on a waxy coating to resist corrosion on the shelf.

The coating is zinc plating probably with hex yellow chromate and it's so the rotors don't rust to the car or wheel after installation with a bonus of looking nice on the shelf. It's a big deal with most OEs now and there's a lot of work on spray/dip coatings and nitro-carburizing to replace the plating but it's hard to make cost-effective since plating is so cheap and heat tolerant . Brake component corrosion in general is getting a lot of attention because of how open wheel designs are on modern cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Neat cheers for the info! Does that mean they'll stay looking like that then or is it just on the surface? I assumed it would burn off!

Covered areas will stay somewhere between that and powdery white, uncovered will likely go white or rust, and where the pad goes will scrape clean really quickly. It's like 10 microns of soft plating, max.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha. I'm glad I brought in my CAE setup last week!
I ended up with a spare billet aluminium shift knob and I want to get it coated in copper and then clear coated. Anyone know what company would do that and how much it would cost? Alternatively I wish I knew someone who could airbrush well so I could get an American flag blown onto it :buddy:

It'd be cheaper to have someone make a new knob out of solid copper. Hydrodipping is a decent option if you don't want a metallic though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Seminal Flu posted:

Fuckin' better than a burnout, right there.

• Locked thread