Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't say I share your taste most of the time, but the adage remains true: If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

Ah okay. I thought their main function was to eliminate vortices? I know you've described that on the trunk lid, clean rejoin with the under flow but what about wing vortexes?
What Jamal said.

A larger wing with a given angle of attack will give you more downforce. If you are not allowed a larger wing because of race regs or whatever, you can crank up the angle. At some point the flow over the top and botton of the wing will start separating. A Gurney flap helps you avoid this.

If you are allowed a larger wing, use a larger wing to achieve the greater downforce.

But listen to Jamal (and others). His actual performance improvement work beats out academic stuff I half-remember from nearly fifteen years ago.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, either do a full build on a rough used (cheap) engine, or buy a new one (with a warranty?) and just use it.

If you keep the fluids in it, have it running an appropriate map, and use it within its design parameters, it should be fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Will it still go that far back when built up with heads etc?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I mean, it's a thing, in that some cars do have a noticeably further-back engine location compared to other front engined cars, and it is a definite benefit in polar moment terms, you can't argue with the physics.

But I find the existence of the term "front mid-engined", and debate over what does and doesn't count, to be rather inane.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Is it any worse than "rear engine" vs "rear mid-engine"?
But "rear mid-engined" doesn't really mean anything if you don't recognise the terminology of "front mid-engined".

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure when the Corvette or Viper engineers were doing their initial briefs on the design, everyone in the room perfunctorily nodded when the lead mentioned "front mid-engined" and then went about their business.
This is kind of where I'm coming from. The problem I have with the term is it's the kind of thing that turns up on forums and from the wrong kind of car people at meets as "No, but you see, it's better than [car x] because it's not front engine, it's front MID engine, as they tried to get more of the weight behind the front axle AND FURTHERMORE"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Nothing bad, just lots of things getting hit with your swinging LS dong.
A straight six is better than a funny-shaped eight. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Oh, he's just going to take it easy around the parking lo..."
I like to think that wasn't deliberate, and Bape's face looked something like

http://i.imgur.com/PSwhLkX.mp4

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnvEvrI0Go

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

I made 500hp and 575nm. That's on a stingy dyno on crap fuel with no miles. I'll run it again in the summer on 99ron and see where we're at. Exciting stuff!

I'm not going to ask you to talk about money directly, but I assume this conversion has stood you less than a new (or as-new rebuilt) 6-pot taken up to the same level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He aitn't ded.

I think.

• Locked thread