Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

Because it's all going to come gushing out when you remove the water pump, and the coolant is due to be changed at the same time.

Even draining it will leave you losing a little coolant from the pump; it'll just be a trickle instead of a river.

Make sure no coolant comes in contact with any belts. I know they're all off at this point anyway, just make sure they're far away from any rivers that may appear when you remove the water pump.

05 Civic would still be backwards; 06 was the changeover.

I've been working on trying to change out the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump on my 1.7 '05 Civic.

I spent most of Saturday trying to get the crank pulley bolt off, finally got it as the light was dying. (I don't have a garage, I'm stuck with an unlit carport.)

I got up early today and started with the remaining stuff, I got the lower timing belt cover and whatnot off, and changed the water pump and timing belt and started buttoning everything back up. I got as far as putting the motor mount back on and was installing the alternator when I went back to my work bench and found the loving new timing belt. I had reinstalled the old one.

So, back down to that step again, and I only just now got everything back together. I put coolant in it and fired it up. The good news, it's still in time. At first there was a godawful squeal coming from the power steering pump but that went away after a minute. Then I started the A/C and another squeal started.

I got out and took a look and it's pouring coolant out from underneath the driver's side wheel well.

So, I shut it off to come in here and whine to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I did a timing belt/water pump job on a mid-late 90's Acura Legend once. Had to completely redo it all over again because the captured rubber ring gasket for the water pump had popped out of it's groove a little and got pinched out. That was a fun day. Good thing I wasn't paid flat rate.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Joe Mama posted:

I did a timing belt/water pump job on a mid-late 90's Acura Legend once. Had to completely redo it all over again because the captured rubber ring gasket for the water pump had popped out of it's groove a little and got pinched out. That was a fun day. Good thing I wasn't paid flat rate.

It's probably just that. I just wish I hadn't found this out 40 minutes from sundown the day before I gotta get to work. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The belt whine may just be the belt being covered in coolant. Have you double checked to make sure all the heater hoses and the coolant return hose are on and solid?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I'd say they checked it.

tactlessbastard posted:

I got out and took a look and it's pouring coolant out from underneath the driver's side wheel well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Here's the bad news: you're going to want to replace the new timing belt with another new one if it got any coolant on it. Coolant just EATS belts, and that's the last belt you want compromised.

The squeal is because you didn't tension the accessory belts properly (they still use separate V belts for everything on the 05, with manual tension bolts, right?).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

The belt whine may just be the belt being covered in coolant. Have you double checked to make sure all the heater hoses and the coolant return hose are on and solid?

The only interruption in the coolant loop today was at the water pump. I didn't mess with any hoses.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Here's the bad news: you're going to want to replace the new timing belt with another new one if it got any coolant on it. Coolant just EATS belts, and that's the last belt you want compromised.

The squeal is because you didn't tension the accessory belts properly (they still use separate V belts for everything on the 05, with manual tension bolts, right?).

Jesus, by the time this is all said and done it would have been cheaper to just take it to the shop. I can't even kick my own rear end hard enough.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just remember this: Even if it costs you as much or more than a shop this time, you're gaining valuable experience, both in the specific job and just generally improving your ability to remember things-that-can-be-hosed-up before you actually gently caress them up. It'll pay off next time you do a job on the car.

It took me months of whinging about how much it ended up costing me to swap my engine in my garage before I calmed down and accepted that fact. Things like this are an invaluable learning experience.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Things like this are an invaluable learning experience.

That is the bright side!

There's one belt off the crank pulley for the power steering pump and one belt that goes around the crank pulley, the A/C compressor pulley, and the alternator.

They are manually tensioned, and I'm fairly certain I got them right back to where they were before, but on the other hand, I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who does a timing belt three times for shits and giggles.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 4, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

tactlessbastard posted:

That is the bright side!

There's one belt off the crank pulley for the power steering pump and one belt that goes around the crank pulley, the A/C compressor pulley, and the alternator.

I think that they sometimes squeal because you get oil/coolant on the belts and pulleys while removing/refitting them (even having dirty hands/gloves seems to be enough)

Check the tension first and tighten them up a bit and see it that stops or reduces it.

Also - I thought it might be an old wives tale but it does actually seen to work - a sprinkling of talc on the belt seems to quieten them down.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You can also buy spray cans of belt dressing at auto parts stores that helps stop the squealing. Used to have one car where even a brand new alternator/water pump belt would squeal no matter how tight you tensioned it, until you spritzed a bit of dressing on the inside of it. Then it'd be fine until the next time you had to remove or change the belts.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions. I got my boss to give me tomorrow off, so hopefully I'll back on the road again before dark manana.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Where is the coolant coming from

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

the poi posted:

Where is the coolant coming from

That's it for the day, I've just gotten home from work. I'm armed with a new timing belt, two new accessory belts (why the gently caress not?) and some belt dressing.

I'll be back at it before before sunup tomorrow, I brought home my work streamlight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 5, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't use belt dressing IMO.

Schmitty
Aug 2, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I wouldn't use belt dressing IMO.

Yeah, from what I understand it melts/dissolves the belts a bit, so that they stick better to the pulleys. OK for snow blower, probably bad for accessory belt longevity.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If that's the oil pan in the picture, and that's where it's actually pissing from, it's almost certainly the water pump.

E: New gasket/o-ring might have gotten pinched during the install.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Look, if you guys aren't using orange Crush as belt dressing I don't know what to tell you.
I know it sounds like something from the AI lifehacks thread but it actually works as well as the real thing and it's far less harmful to the belt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Look, if you guys aren't using orange Crush as belt dressing I don't know what to tell you.
I know it sounds like something from the AI lifehacks thread but it actually works as well as the real thing and it's far less harmful to the belt.

Wrong. You use your own blood.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

What about grape?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong. You use your own blood.

Sweat? check. Tears? drat near after realizing I had reinstalled the original timing belt. Blood? Oh, certainly. I think the first real bleeder was when the 14mm lower bolt on the motor mount mounting bracket broke loose and I punched the heat shield.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What about grape?

I never really thought about using other flavors- the guy who told me about it said to use orange and that's the only flavor available here that doesn't taste like poo poo.
I have tried Pepsi and Sprite, they don't work nearly as well. Probably because Crush uses Tartaric acid (which has some weird reactions with ferrous metals) where most sodas use Phosphoric or citric acids.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Got an annoying gasket? A tiny bit of hi-tack on the moving object side will stick it long enough to position it.

It worked a treat on the stupid Miata water pump gasket. Lightly coated the water pump side of the gasket, let it get tacky, stuck it to the water pump, and didn't have to worry about it falling off or getting pinched.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tommychu posted:

Yeah but tactlessbastard got new belts so why do you need anything?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mafoose posted:

Got an annoying gasket? A tiny bit of hi-tack on the moving object side will stick it long enough to position it.

It worked a treat on the stupid Miata water pump gasket. Lightly coated the water pump side of the gasket, let it get tacky, stuck it to the water pump, and didn't have to worry about it falling off or getting pinched.

If you want to be able to get it off again, white lithium works too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Man, things sure are coming off easier the second or third time!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We meet again!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
welp

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I hosed up the gasket, too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Best way to learn how to do something better is to gently caress it up repeatedly. I can't count the number of times I've had the accessories on and off mine, although I'm lucky to have chain-driven timing. It's like how, no matter the complexity of the project, there's never only one trip to the hardware store.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

I hosed up the gasket, too.

Time for some instant gasket :getin:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raluek posted:

no matter the complexity of the project, there's never only one trip to the hardware store.
I just had my own multiple trip this weekend. 3/8 socket wrench was too thick so I starting using 1/4 sockets, but I needed 14mm and our set only went up to 13. Went to autozone, came back, got under the car and then realized that I needed a 14mm deep socket. :argh:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

I just had my own multiple trip this weekend. 3/8 socket wrench was too thick so I starting using 1/4 sockets, but I needed 14mm and our set only went up to 13. Went to autozone, came back, got under the car and then realized that I needed a 14mm deep socket. :argh:

I feel you man. I'm the world's champion at going to the hardware store three times every time I work on the house.

So, is there any way to test the seal on the water pump before I put everything back together? Doesn't seem like it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

I feel you man. I'm the world's champion at going to the hardware store three times every time I work on the house.

So, is there any way to test the seal on the water pump before I put everything back together? Doesn't seem like it.

Made me glad I finally got a big rolling tool box, so that I can actually keep track of my growing horde of sockets.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

tactlessbastard posted:

I measure my projects in number of times gone to the hardware store per project.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Well, you can't really tell from this picture, but that is a in time, leak free, taut quiet belt running engine.

Thanks for all of the advice and support!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

I measure my projects in number of times gone to the hardware store per project.

Im glad I'm not the only one that does this. Lately I'm getting slowly better... That means I'm doing the jobs right and planning better or I just don't care as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im glad I'm not the only one that does this. Lately I'm getting slowly better... That means I'm doing the jobs right and planning better or I just don't care as much.

I was replacing a faucet in my bathroom and bought everything, and double-checked because I wasn't going back to the store. When I opened the box, the new faucet already had flexible stainless hoses attached, so I actually had to go back to the store to return the stainless hoses I had bought to do the job. I actually did not mind going back to the store that time, but it goes to show that one trip to the hardware store is never enough.

• Locked thread