Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I said after :colbert:

Much, much after. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Last thread I asked about daily fantasy and didn't get much response but that's okay, you guys are still alright. Is there a thread anywhere on the forums for DFS, even just general sports and not specifically NFL?

I've read around the internet as much as I could since then and the best resource as a complete novice has been this free ebook. I was super wary about a free Kindle book, especially with a title like that, but the author is the guy who does 4for4's DFS articles and the concepts in the book match everything I've read elsewhere. The main benefit I found with it is that it's all in one place rather than spread out over a bunch of articles online.

As I suspected, it seems like it plays out similarly to poker where the difference between casual and experienced players can come down to stuff outside the normal game, i.e. bankroll management, betting strategy, and game selection. My only worries are that some info I've learned are out of date, though I noticed the marketing for DFS ramp up a lot last year so I'm hoping to be ready for the big rush when next season starts. Are there any profitable players here? GPP or cash games? Has it been difficult to overcome the rake? Not looking to get rich or anything but it's a much better outlet for all of the time I spend on fantasy and allows me to have a better time playing casually in the season long league I have with friends.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2015

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Spoeank posted:

I had Wilson as my #3 QB (Luck/Rodgers/Wilson) and apparently so does ESPN so what I'm saying is I guess I need a new #3...?

How much better would you feel with Wilson over like the next 10 guys? I wouldn't be mad if he fell to me, but I'll be damned if I target Russell Wilson. Brees and Manning feel like higher floor, safer picks. Cam, Tannehill, Stafford, Bradford, and Kaep all have much higher ceilings.

I'm excited for Abdullah in Detroit and Agholor in Philly. I'll probably go for Jordan Matthews too. Riley Cooper is hot garbage, and whoever is the #1 receiver is fantasy gold.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

District Selectman posted:

How much better would you feel with Wilson over like the next 10 guys? I wouldn't be mad if he fell to me, but I'll be damned if I target Russell Wilson. Brees and Manning feel like higher floor, safer picks. Cam, Tannehill, Stafford, Bradford, and Kaep all have much higher ceilings.

I'm excited for Abdullah in Detroit and Agholor in Philly. I'll probably go for Jordan Matthews too. Riley Cooper is hot garbage, and whoever is the #1 receiver is fantasy gold.

How do you figure Brees and Manning have higher floors?

Brees: Lost Stills, lost Graham. Draft picks/trade for Unger indicate a turn towards the running game. He's quickly running out of targets and the team is indicating a change to a run-first attitude.
Manning: He's old as poo poo, was destroyed by an injury last season, and is 39. You don't not get injured at 39. He has one of the lower floors of the top ten because he can basically die on the field at any point.

Wilson's rushing yards puts his floor higher than the them. His shiftiness and trading away the only non-poo poo piece of that offensive line means more scrambles and more yards.

Bradford will have a high ceiling for the 6 games he plays, yes.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Tannehill and Roethlisberger are going to be around in rounds 9-11 and it's going to own bones

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Big Ben ain't making it to rounds 9-11 in any draft I'm in. It's going 6 WR/RB and then Big Ben.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Tannehill and Roethlisberger are going to be around in rounds 9-11 and it's going to own bones

The days of being able to quietly snatch up Big Ben in the late late rounds and ride him confidently through the season died last year right after his two back to back record setting games unfortunately. :(

The rise of Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell haven't helped the situation either, and now with Martavis Bryant...

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

You say this but then almost every league I've been in in the last two years has seen him be on the waiver wire at some point. He's just one of those guys that don't seem flashy and no one cares about, Ryan, Newton, Brees, maybe even Cutler for some ugodly reason will still go over him and it won't make any sense. Do not apply logic to Ben's ADP.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I wish my league would switch to IDP because I want to have JJ Watt on my roster when they start using him to throw touchdowns instead of just catching them this year.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Teeter posted:

I wish my league would switch to IDP because I want to have JJ Watt on my roster when they start using him to throw touchdowns instead of just catching them this year.

My penis swells with anticipation at the thought of Wilfork and JJ Watt both taking the field in goal-line packages

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here is another page of QB discussion that completely passes over the guy who won the superbowl.

Does nobody want to draft Brady? Shouldn't he at least be part of the discussion?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Here is another page of QB discussion that completely passes over the guy who won the superbowl.

Does nobody want to draft Brady? Shouldn't he at least be part of the discussion?

You're allowed to draft him if you want to buddy! :unsmith:

I took him in 2013 and he was a huge pain in my rear end for the entire season. When he wasn't injured, he was putting up poo poo numbers. And when I finally decided to bench him for good he started playing a hundred times better. Last year people were straight dropping him until other QBs unexpectedly dropping off (Cam, Tannehill, others I can't remember now but there was a lot of them) forced them to pick him up and he actually starting putting up respectable fantasy points again.

I mean yeah, he's probably a contender for top 10 both pre season and in hindsight, but I'd rather target someone whose consistency I can feel more confident in rather than someone commanding Belachik's offense.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Draft Brady like you would any other quarterback (don't draft them high if its not aaron rodgers you goony bastards)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gyshall posted:

Draft Brady like you would any other quarterback (don't draft them high if its not aaron rodgers you goony bastards)

I'm ready to put Luck in that tier. This is probably the last year you'll get him "lateish"

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Eh, I'd put Brady in the bottom tier of QB1s. His arm strength is shot and he might even be suspended for a game or two. I'd rather have Big Ben for sure.

Luck though, he's tops. He's tied with Rodgers for #1 QB in my mind. The only thing that lovely team seems to stock up on are talented WRs.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Why would you want to draft a QB that will be suspended for the entire year :colbert:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I straight up dropped Brady for Roethlisberger in dynasty last year about Week 5 and never looked back.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What happens to Gronk's value if Brady gets suspended?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It goes down.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It goes down since he'll have something called a Jimmy Garoppolo throwing to him, but then again I guess you can make the argument that maybe he'll become the dude's favorite option or something and get even more targets thrown his way.

(hint: you probably shouldn't be banking on that second part)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm ready to put Luck in that tier. This is probably the last year you'll get him "lateish"

Agreed, Luck has so many weapons this year its silly.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Teeter posted:

I got JJ Watt in dynasty and those fuckers won't count his Pass TDs!!!!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

fadsf

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 9, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Brady disappearing basically nukes all of New England's fantasy value.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Garoppolo could do things, but this makes me sour a bit on Gronk in the first round - maybe late first, early second now, especially if the ban is 6 games.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's rumors they're gonna bring in Matt Flynn though, so all is well

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Just feel I should offer some constructive criticism here. OP omits the ~numbers don't lie baby!!!!~ hot take from the previous thread about how awful Antonio Brown is. THanks.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Sorry for signing my post there.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I love him so much.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's just science.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Is that some kind of truncated explanation of pacing and route running, or is OBJ legitimately autistic?

Edit: \/\/\/ Aww. :saddowns:

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 11, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's a joke from The Onion spinoff Clickhole.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

pangstrom posted:

It's a joke from The Onion spinoff Clickhole.

I don't care. I'm going to pretend it's real. :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone think there's any chance of Benny Cunningham or Lance Dunbar doing anything this year (or ever again)? Someone's offered them to me in my dyansty league for my only good DE so I'm disinclined to take it anyway, but figured I'd see what people thought of the two.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

So Gronk is a mid-second rounder now?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spoeank posted:

So Gronk is a mid-second rounder now?

All I know is I'm real glad about that 4 game number for Brady. I have Brady/Bridgewater on my dynasty team and with a week 4/5 bye respectively I was a little panicked about what I was going to do at QB (16 team league, large rosters, so even guys like Garrett Gilbert are already rostered)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Whelp, I'll be picking up Brady at the tail end of drafts as a QB2 for sure now. Once he comes back he's going to be slinging hot fire.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I wouldn't be shocked if he appeals and wins and misses maybe 1 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

LmaoTheKid posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if he appeals and wins and misses maybe 1 game.

It's possible, but I think it's doubtful. The Rog needs to look tough on the Pats after SpyGate, and this is the kind of poo poo that upsets the bettor community too.

Plus, if he sticks with four games, Brady comes back just in time to play the Colts, and we all know how much the Ginger Hammer loves his big TV ratings.

• Locked thread