Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

Kendall Wright loving sucks.

Any argument behind that statement? TEN seems happy with him -- contract extension -- and he caught over 100 balls a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What's the reasoning behind taking LBell as 1.1, missing 3 games? I mean, statistically? It's not like he's guaranteeing victory in the weeks he will play, compared to someone else you could take at 1.1.

It seems like he'd have to be much, much better than other 1.1 options in order to justify that choice.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The argument is based on a VORP calculation rather than a gross season points total. Basically the thinking goes, if you get a sufficient comparative positional advantage for 10 games by having Bell, the loss of his utility for three games is tolerable.

I know the concept, but does anyone care to actually back that up with numbers for 9 games of Bell vs 12 games of JCharles, Lacy, ADP? Don't forget the bye week.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If you have decided (for whatever reason) that you can tough out those first three weeks, he is probably a "safer" pick than some of the earlier first round RBs in a lot of ways.

The issue I was asking about is how you can decide, numerically, that you can "tough out" the suspension weeks vs. just draft JCharles, ADP, or Lacy instead. You have to be making a specific decision that Bell is a certain amount more valuable in weeks 4-13 than one of those guys (not just any replacement player). That, he will add X probability over your second-favorite RB each of the weeks 4-13 so that the replacement-level loss in weeks 1-3 compared to your second-favorite RB still leads to +<EV> in terms of total games won over weeks 1-13. That means he must be _hugely_ better in +EV than your second-favorite RB, since weeks 1-3 you will be at a major disadvantage. In fact, if you get "9 games with, 3 games without" in weeks 1-13 (1 week bye, doesn't count) then he must provide an increased win probability of at least 33% of the [ win probability decrease of your replacement-level RB compared to second-best RB ].

It's a large enough difference that I doubt he can be justified as first RB off the board. You will need lucky wins in week 1-3 to be an overall winner with that strategy. But if you make the playoffs, you'd be +EV (assuming you have him ranked #1).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Enforka posted:

I think Randle is probably the guy in Dallas, and that Dallas went into the off season perfectly content with the idea that Randle might be their starter. I think Dallas is very bullish on Randle, and behind that line, that makes me pretty bullish too.

It's pretty easy to find talking heads or stats nerds that shout from the rooftops about how RBs don't matter and are a waste of salary cap money. That all you need is a good OL and strong passing threats. DAL is testing that theory.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is there any interest in a toxx-based league where participants are chosen by toxx promises, winners get immunity from toxx in the following season, and losers (e.g. last place in the league) has to carry out his toxx promise?

I would be willing to start one up.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've created a new league, we're seeking owners:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735581

Short version is: free, 14-team auction ppr keepers, deep rosters. Please check it out, should be fun!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

how nfl related do weekly posts have to be to not qualify as dead space?

am i allowed to post "charlie sims should be banned under the geneva convention" or "aaron rodgers is somehow gayer than i am" for 16 weeks straight and have that qualify

Might depend on how I'm feeling about that player any given week, but in general the idea is to generate content people might actually feel inclined to reply to, or enjoy reading. I'll add a note saying how if your post is borderline you'll be warned to step up (instead of just surprise eligibility to be replaced).

edit: the point is, repeating yourself for 16 weeks with stuff people don't enjoy reading won't help your cause

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Then you probably want to look somewhere other than SA

haha well, I'll consider myself an optimist for a day. I updated the league boilerplate rules with a few details regarding posts and the replacement process.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mike Evans scored a lot of fantasy points last year despite being a rookie on a bottom-4 offense with a terrible OLine, horrible QB situation, and beyond bad coaching situation.

What I'm saying is generalizations suck and half of everyone's predictions will be wrong, enjoy the ride~

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Taliaferro and Gray got a ton of looks. Yay preseason.

2014 preseason

Cowboys, 0-4 with Demarco Murray tallying up 52 yards on 14 carries for 3.7 ypc.
Steelers, 1-3 with Le'Veon Bell tallying up 60 yards on 18 carries for 3.3 ypc.

draft accordingly!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

Sablich brothers clearly been reading our expert opinions.

Their undervalued RBs: Miller, Spiller, Abdullah, Ivory, Woodhead, Bush, Cobb (we've been all over pretty much all of these guys for weeks save Bush)
Overvalued: Forte, Gordon, McFadden, Hyde, Joique, Crowell (yep, yep, yep, yep, most definitely, and probably)

Abdullah is gonna be drafted in the second round by nerds by the time drafts are over, he's so "undervalued" among hype HYPE HYPE MEGAHYPE "sleepers".

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Prophecy120 posted:

The person who drafted Jordy in our 12 team league also drafted Kelvin Benjamin.

that guy should get his league entry fee back if he comes in anything other than last place

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Someone dig up all the posts with dudes here saying to drop guys to pick up Wayne

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tiptoes posted:

I think Wilson got himself a new toy and he's going to play with it.

I've heard that line applied to literally every SEA pass catcher of the last 2-3 years and it's always been wrong.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tiptoes posted:

They match up well in my eyes and there's legit sleeper appeal there.

You have to go back to 2009 to find a SEA WR non-WR1 that has more than 72 targets on the season. So either this 182 pound rookie dude who's also returning punts and kicks is gonna leapfrog the depth chart to WR1, or SEA will change their offensive philosophy to manufacture touches for him? Or they'll just stick with pretty much the exact same offense that got them to the last two SBs, plus all-world Graham on 3rd downs and RZ.

Seriously you can find similar hype about Tate in August 2013 on rotoworld and he was a non rookie WR1 on the Hawks who has proven skill since then, and he only managed WR28 in standard. See also Harvin, Kearse, whoever. That Mathews guy that every dynasty league was drooling over after the SB this year.

Lock's a sleeper for 14 team non-ppr leagues that let you start 4 WRs and also credit return yardage, or best ball leagues with deep rosters.

This thread also wanted people to drop like Alfred Blue for Reggie Wayne so whatever, can't wait for preseason to end!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tortilla Maker posted:

Drafted the Rams as my DEF but considering picking up the Panthers as they're playing the Jaguars in Week 1 (whereas Rams are up against the Seahawks).

Don't think I want to drop the Rams though. I'm leaning toward dropping Tyler Eifert (as I'm starting Jason Witten). Additional bench options include:

RB - Bishop Sankey
RB - Tevin Coleman
RB - Todd Gurley
WR - Eric Decker

Any thoughts?

I'd drop sankey TBH. TEN clearly doesn't have faith in him and their OLine sucks anyway.

My own question:

What kind of value does Alfred Blue have right now? If you own him, what do you do? Sit and wait, or see what you can still get in trade? What kind of trade value does he actually have in PPR? RB3, WR3, WR4, ...? Anyone care to name names?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The One True And Best System is Free Agent Auction Budget.

FAAB on some websites sucks because it's reset daily. I'd love it if guys went to FA after FAAB waivers. It's a fair amount of effort to set up conditional FAAB things daily, and screws with things like being able to place a guy into an IR-slot on Sunday morning and then pickup a FA.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

keldegar posted:

ESPN is like this now. FAAB, then FA after waivers clear.

Wow, new for this year? Last year, it was FAAB every day and it blew.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Benne posted:

Hey y'all guess who was the retard who benched Allen Robinson for Kendall Wright :suicide:

I have Matt Jones and Allen Robinson in SA's League of Posts, a 14 team league.

They're on my bench.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Would you rather: Matt Ryan and Martellus Bennett, or ...
... Vernon Davis, Charles Johnson, and Devin Funchess?

PPR start 2-4 WR 1-2 TE, 14 teams, Vernon owner has Romo as only QB for the moment.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vernon Davis or Eddie Royal rest of way in flex for PPR? Royal is clear targets on a bad team but Davis has been ok so far too target wise.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Are your other teams a mess? Want to take over a stacked team? SA's League of Posts has an opening! 14 teams, PPR, keeper, new league.

Please check it out here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735581&pagenumber=5#post450743046

pmchem fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 28, 2015

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

VietCampo posted:

Ok saying that's a really good team with a stacked bench is stretching it.

14 team league and that team has some really good keeper candidates on it, along with some clear name talent. Anyway, it has been claimed. Thanks!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

http://deadspin.com/steve-smiths-review-of-the-bengals-secondary-trash-tr-1733365027

I drafted Steve Smith in 2010 (the one year he totally sucked) and felt so burned I haven't rostered him since. A decision I keep regretting for various reasons!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I picked up and started McCown this week.

There is no greater feeling in fantasy than getting a gut call so right.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Our League of Posts here on SA is hosted on nfl.com, which gives out a couple of awards automatically each week. I liked this feature when I found out about it.

Now I really like this feature.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

We have an opening to take over a team in SA's League of Posts.

It's a 14 team, PPR, keeper league. Pretty good group of guys, with the gimmick being that you have to post to stay in the league. We're hoping to build a nice long-term group of owners via natural selection.

The team to be taken over is this one:
http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/3332748/team/14
Details on how to take over the team are here (you need to message me your email here, or on reddit if you don't have messages on SA):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735581&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post451600510

The record will make it difficult to reach the playoffs this year, but the team does have some real talent to use as keepers or to trade away to get better value keepers. Looking for someone to come in and take on this effort -- please check it out and consider it! Thanks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

We have an opening to take over a team in SA's League of Posts.

It's a 14 team, PPR, keeper league. Pretty good group of guys, with the gimmick being that you have to post to stay in the league. We're hoping to build a nice long-term group of owners via natural selection.

The team to be taken over is this one:
http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/3332748/team/14
Details on how to take over the team are here (you need to message me your email here, or on reddit if you don't have messages on SA):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735581&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post451600510

The record will make it difficult to reach the playoffs this year, but the team does have some real talent to use as keepers or to trade away to get better value keepers. Looking for someone to come in and take on this effort -- please check it out and consider it! Thanks.

Boon posted:

Sure, I'm in. How many keepers?

3 keepers -- details in OP of League of Posts. Please post there if you still want in, we still need a guy :)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm commissioner of a league and considering veto'ing a trade for the first time in the league's 7 year history. Curious as to what goons think before I make my final call. Team is a 14 team PPR with a large starting roster, no keeper consideration.

In the past 24h the following happened, in this order:
1. I received a trade offer from Team A. His James Jones (GB) for my J-Stew.
2. I received a notification that Team B accepted an offer from Team A to trade Team A's Julio Jones (ATL) for Team B's Eddie Lacy.
3. I received the following email from Team A:

-----
Subject : wrong j jones

lol I sent a trade request for Julio Jones instead of James Jones... stupid abbreviations on mobile. Can you kill that so I can send the right offer?
-----

On its face, the trade is uneven. Absolutely. WR1 for RB46. However, at draft day, the players had roughly equal value ($60+, top of the "first round") and the worst of Lacy's schedule is over. It is plausible that he finishes stronger in relative value than Jones, and Team A desperately needs a RB2. It could have, in theory, been a "sell-high, buy low" for a RB needy team where Team A is now experiencing regret. And I don't try to protect people from stupidity.

However, his offer of James Jones to me in (1) makes me believe his email in (3), and the trade really is not near balanced on its face.

relevant section of league bylaws:

quote:

TRADES
Trades may be made between two owners on a nearly unrestricted basis. There is a trade deadline (after week 10), exact time on league settings page.

Trades will be approved within 36 hours by the commissioner. Only trades that are deemed harmful to the overall integrity of the league will be rejected. Collusive trades (such as 'loaning' players for a week or two) fall under this category. Note, the commissioner is human, and if players' gametime is under 36 hours from the trade, it may not be reviewed in time for that week.

Goons, what would you do?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I ended up veto'ing that trade described above.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SeannieDarko posted:

So I have both Jordan Reed and Witten in a half point PPR league. Woodhead just got dropped and I can snag him (no waivers). Should I?

My other RBs: Gore, J-Stew, McFadden, DeAngelo, Forte.

Does the guy who dropped Woodhead have brain damage? He's an elite ppr or half ppr RB

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hey guys, SA's League of Posts needs a replacement owner for a playoff team (gonna be in top 6 after this week ends):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3735581&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post452474159

14 team PPR, keepers, auction draft. New league this year. The owner of the team in question got himself banned from SA, so, welp. If anyone could step in and take over this team, we'd really appreciate it! Please see the link above for details. Team is here:

http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/3332748/team/7

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

Do you guys still need someone?

spot filled, but please keep an eye out. I imagine we'll have another opening in the next week or three!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SA's League of Posts has 2 teams eligible to claim:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735581&pagenumber=13#post453020942

ForeverBWFC's is abandoned at this point.

We're a 14 team, PPR, keeper league and there are some star keepers on that team. Please check it out! Really looking for goons to step up late season and help shepard us to 2016. Thanks!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How bad is the rain @ GB?

Cobb, Woodhead or Tevin Coleman as PPR flex?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah was leaning that; who would be second? Can actually start two of the three.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there any solid info on the nature of Heath Miller's rib injury? e.g. cartilage tear, bone bruise, bone break (how many...)? The different options would have wildly different fantasy playoff implications.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

coronaball posted:

That's part of the problem with IDP is that you're subjected to the whims of the official scorer. It's almost impossible that the Browns ran the ball 41 times and Bowman only had 3 points.

For added fun, play in a league with very minimal IDP but big-play scoring for it. Sacks, INTs, forced fumbles, etc. Things that often correlate well with players getting big contracts anyway, and cannot be ignored by the official scorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

I love it, but it burned my best team (11-2) in the first round this week. Tackles 1.25, assisted tackles 0.75, tackles for loss an additional 1 point, 5 per sack, 6 per int. Despite starting Gurley, Green, and Hurns in 1 PPR (and a decent rest of my offense and IDPs), I got absolutely crushed at DL, despite starting Watt and Dunlap. Who the gently caress is Kawann Short??

Being the 2nd highest scorer in week 1 of the playoffs :)
Going up against the top score in week 1 of the playoffs :(

If you don't know who one of the best DLinemen is on the only undefeated team and best or second-best defense in the NFL, you deserve to lose a matchup in a league that has heavy IDP scoring, heh.

• Locked thread