Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a database somewhere that isn't ESPN of last year's point totals in standard scoring? ESPN being down "for maintenance" is pretty annoying since I always just use that to see how guys did in my league's scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm not 100% set on it yet, but I think Roethlisberger is going to be my soft target for QB this year in my main league that gives bonus points for 300+ and 400+ yard games. Besides even the two 6TD games he played pretty well last year, and Bryant's emergence as a legitimate deep/red zone threat suddenly gives him three great weapons, with Heath Miller still there as a reliable dump off option. Not having Bell for the first few games will probably hurt, but isn't the end of the world and might even force him to chuck it a lot more anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So looks like Brady's deflated balls is going to be the go-to theme for this season's fantasy names. Update your spreadsheets accordingly.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Leperflesh posted:

Re: Big Ben, the steelers have (on paper) the toughest schedule in the NFL this year. Roethlisburger is a survivor, and not a bad choice for QB if you're taking a QB late, but I don't think he's in contention for #3 or even #4 or 5.

The counter to that though is that pre-season SOS isn't exactly a rock solid stat to base anything on. I agree that I don't think he's the #3 QB or anything, but the guy threw for ~5,000 yards last season and had like a 30/10 TD-Int ratio and is still being ranked around QB10 in mock drafts/rankings/ADP from what I've seen.

e: For comparison, Drew Brees had as just many yards (exactly the same, actually. what are the odds) with only 1 more TD and 8 more picks.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 6, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

RCarr posted:

Where should Victor Cruz be drafted this year and what are we expecting from him?

I usually just put players like that on my don't draft list and don't bother spending time thinking about it. I'll let someone else take that gamble, there's most likely tons of value still available where he'd go off the board anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It goes down since he'll have something called a Jimmy Garoppolo throwing to him, but then again I guess you can make the argument that maybe he'll become the dude's favorite option or something and get even more targets thrown his way.

(hint: you probably shouldn't be banking on that second part)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's just science.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

RVProfootballer posted:

Half the league were smart and trying to encourage someone else to waste a first round pick on him, the other half were giving their honest assessment.

This was my immediate thought as well. All of my friends thought I was a fantasy football dumbass for like the first two seasons we started playing fantasy football because I would just give the dumbest advice possible. Now almost a decade later it's morphed into this kind of bizarre meta-meta-meta game where everyone is giving cryptic double-meaning advice/opinion on players or talking about trades.

Fantasy football is really dumb awesome.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Franks Happy Place posted:

I thought Madden 2015 was already going to be Richard Sherman? :confused:

Also, no, curses are not a thing.

It might have tapered off in the last few years (I haven't been paying attention) but the Madden Curse actually totally was like a statistically significant indicator of poor future performance. Obviously it wasn't actually sorcery and there are about a billion reasons why Madden cover players had bad seasons (OBJ, for example, will probably be covered a lot better this season and could easily have a very down year) but it was totally A Thing. Vegas would make odds for it and let people bet on it and everything.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Leperflesh posted:

Time to gently caress up the ADPs on ESPN by drafting blake bortles in the first round over and over and over.

Come on, guys. You know this is his time. Bortles is gonna break out and shine.

Don't worry, there are literally thousands of idiots already on there drafting completely random players and largely ruining most of the utility of mock drafts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Kelce could easily be a top 3 (or two) TE, you're just kind of taking a giant gamble if you take him. I'm going to bite on him hard this year because I had him last year so I think my main league will sleep on him a bit since I also had Charles so I was probably the only one watching any Chiefs games, but the possibility of him only being inexplicably used in like 60% of plays again and catching 1-2 balls a game is still completely terrifying. I mean Fasano's gone so you figured he has to become a bigger part of that offense, but it's Andy Reid so who loving knows.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"After Tom Brady wins his appeal Goodell's going to be forced to be more lenient and will shorten Gordon's suspension as well."

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gyshall posted:

gently caress that your first round pick should be Charles Sims

Sims is the obvious 1.01, so therefore there's no point in talking about him since most people won't have the first pick. If you do have the first pick then you're just going to take Sims and win your league easily, so you don't need fantasy advice.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

why would thunder try to be like lightning

Charles Sims is both the thunder and the lightning, the hammer and the anvil, the alpha and the omega, all praise him insha'allah.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I wonder if there are hard numbers to support this, but it definitely feels like there are more viable fantasy players than ever at pretty much every position except TE. I know NFL offenses have been throwing more in the last few years and are slowly becoming more like the college game, but it still feels crazy to see some of the production available in the top 50 picks. You can go with pretty much any draft strategy that you want because there are like 15-20 solid RBs and 25-30 great WRs available, with like 15 serviceable QBs that will be there in the later rounds.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah barring some weird/specific circumstances or scoring, I'd happily take that and then just pick up the best WR available with the next pick.

e: Posted right before the above post.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Figuring out who you should drop early and who to hold on to all season is one of the more important and underrated fantasy skills imo. Way too many people get attached to their drafted players and have them sit on the bench for 9 weeks not doing anything before finally dropping them for a second defense or bye-week kicker. It can definitely bite you in the rear end sometimes, but I've found that being super aggressive with drops/waiver pickups pays off like 80% of the time, and I end up getting a league-winning player from the waiver wire almost every year that I win.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm looking directly at you, Keenan Allen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Wait it actually was an April Fool's joke after all? Their little FAQ even had a part specifically saying "This isn't an April Fool's joke." Way to not understand how April fool's works I guess.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah my big problem with Boldin is what the gently caress is going to happen with the 49ers this year? That team could be a complete dumpster fire like three weeks into the season where literally no one is worth rostering in a standard league.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The one thing's higher than the other thing, what more do you need to know?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
ESPN is probably the least worst but their site could really use an update. Stuff like adding multiple people off waivers takes too many clicks for a website in TYOOL 2015, and the aforementioned draft center is just kind of an unwieldy monstrosity. It really stands out how outdated the fantasy section is in terms of design when you compare it to the rest of ESPN and their Web 2.0-empty-space-and-thumbnails-everywhere nonsense. Granted, I wouldn't want the fantasy section to become that either, but it could certainly use something more than just having to click a bunch of links/players/buttons to do the simplest things.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The thing is that comparing their stats like that is kind of pointless since they switched jobs/roles halfway through the season. Hill managed to pitch in some decent games and some TDs while he was backing Gio up, and as soon as he got the starting job he ran for like 100+ yards/game the rest of the year. I agree that Gio has some value in PPR, but that starting job is Hill's now and it looks like he's about to potentially have a monster year. In my standard friend league I'm definitely aiming to grab him in the second and hoping that because I had him last year none of my friends will realize his potential.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Gio's still going to be the 3rd down/passing back, but Hill completely established himself as the starter after Gio got hurt and looked great in everything but those two clunkers against TB and Pit. There'll be games where he gets 10-15 touches and rushes for 50 yards, but he's set for a pretty big year and would need a Doug Martin-esque drop-off in quality/production to be a real disappointment.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't really know why anyone would pay for FF stuff outside of some website's draft apps or stuff like projections that Beer uses purely for the sake of having a bunch of data. Fantasypros will give you an aggregate ranking of the top 20/50 guys, and between this thread and random articles from Rotoworld I've never felt like I was missing some hugely critical piece of info on any player.

I mean on the one hand I get it because FF is all about absorbing as much information as possible, but on the other hand these are just random dudes who really like fantasy football. Most are decent at it and probably know what they're talking about, but they're still just guessing. Like someone else mentioned the absolute top experts are consistently at like 60% accuracy. If anyone ever managed to go closer to like 75% for more than one year then that'd be a person probably worth giving money to for advice.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spoeank posted:

10 makes me dizzy because every team is so drat good. There's players that could break out that I don't have room for on my roster and it makes me itchy.

10 is actually my favorite for this exact reason. Given a standard roster setup, you end up having just enough bench room to hold like 2 or 3 sleepers/underperformers while still keeping the usual positional backups and bye week guys. It makes you really evaluate who you want to hold onto for 8 weeks because you can't just grab everyone you want, and if you drop them some other team will have the space to pick them up if they want to.

It leads to situations where you're gambling on whether you can drop a guy for a week or two and trying to figure out if any other team would pick him up, and it makes the season more exciting than if you're just sitting there with your team and twiddling your thumbs because every team is either stacked or everyone's already picked up anyone worth mentioning.

There's definitely some appeal to playing in a super deep league and having to scrape for breakout players, but I think 10 is a real sweet spot for fantasy and is the best combo of having to make tough decisions while still playing with a good team that'll actually be fun to watch/follow/root for.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spoeank posted:

On a side note why am I finding Mike Evans on so many top ten lists and so many "HE SHOULD GET SO MUCH BETTER" lists. McCown/Glennon to Winston or not, outside of victimizing two of the worst secondaries in the league during a 14 day stretch of awesomeness, he was mostly good not great.

I don't get it but maybe I'm missing something.

He finished as like a top 12 WR in standard scoring and had 10+ points in something like 8 games. As a rookie with two bad QBs. Winston isn't much of an upgrade, but he should still be a bit better. If nothing else he'll still get a shitload of "gently caress it going deep" throws his way, where he's an absolute monster. If OBJ didn't have a record-setting year Mike Evans would've gotten a ton more coverage. Dude absolutely carried some teams to the playoffs with his weeks 6-12 performance.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spoeank posted:

His gently caress it going deep-based performance plus touchdown regression means top 15 or top 20, not top 10, to me.

I thought he was going in the WR12-15 range which seems fine to me. If he's going as a top 10 guy then yeah I'd say that's being a bit optimistic that Winston won't bomb. Either way I was mostly trying to debunk the notion that he had a Doug Martin-esque season where he got like 75% of his production in two games. Instead he managed to supplant VJax as the go-to receiver on that team (granted, not the hardest job to win in the world), was a super consistent red zone/TD threat (compared to someone like Martavis Bryant who really slowed down after his crazy first four games), and did it all while on a horrible team with two bad QBs.

This year teams will probably focus on him more, but he'll still be a huge red zone threat and will still be on a bad Bucs team that'll probably be constantly behind in games. I'd gladly take Evans as my WR2, unless I'm picking late 1st/early 2nd and a tier 1 guy is still available.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
One in the pink, one in the stink

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Talk going around about Le'Veon Bell's suspension possibly being reduced to 1 or 2 games because the NFL is a loving nonsensical circus.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Metapod posted:

That makes it palatable to take him 1.01 imo

Easy 1.01 now imo. Those first two games would've been tough anyway, so being forced to start your usual flex/RB3 guy may not even be that bad if you grab someone with good early matchups to cover for Bell.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MacheteZombie posted:

You could be in a 12 team league full of 11 morons, but that you still need a certain amount of luck to win it all.

Yeah some dude's auto-drafted team would still somehow go 11-1 in the regular season.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Varg posted:

negative! honestly I just want Skip Bayless's job, anyone can do that

Actually I think it's the opposite. You've got to be a very specific kind of rear end in a top hat to pull off the poo poo Bayless/Stephen A/Cowherd constantly do without once going "Ok maybe I should just chill the gently caress out for like a month" and instead just keep saying dumb poo poo because you know the ratings will be good.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I love the included tweet.

quote:

My man Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings moving like a rookie ,will silence alot of critics this season

"Holy poo poo AP looks loving incredible! I take it back it's awesome that he hit his kid so hard that he started bleeding and whacked him in the balls! GO Vikings!"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They have different options, but it's usually when you set the draft date/type. You can also just change it at any time before the draft starts.

Their random draft order option generates it an hour before the draft starts. If you want to do random order earlier than that though they just have a "Randomize Order" button in the GM options that you can press any time before the draft. That's what I do because I like having a couple of days to plan my strategy based on where I'm drafting.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

jabro posted:

You're my boy, Blue!

If only he wasn't kind of bad.

e: Maybe he'll be better if the Texans give him 30 carries every game like they gave to Foster, before inevitably breaking him as well.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Come on Ahmad Bradshaw, make me look good for taking you in the Goon MFL...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Bradshaw was great in Indy's passing offense too and was a legitimate threat, assuming his leg doesn't just fall off before the season starts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Azhais posted:

So do they use a stapler for that or what? Where's Swickles

There's nothing you can't fix with some duct tape and WD40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah at worst that's some straight up bullshit, but at best it's just a super dumb way to do keepers.

• Locked thread