Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The left is currently trying to attack big corporations again. Their ammunition this time? The mass layoffs that will occur when minimum wage is increased to $15. Big business and small business will suffer, and guess who's to blame? BIG OL' GUBMENT for allowing for-profit companies. So now wages must be maintained and jobs must stay so what do we do? Start phasing out public corporation and start phasing in Federally owned enterprises on a large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Good.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I can't tell if the OP is serious or just a poo poo attempt at humour.

Either way, a living wage is a good thing and I hope it soon develops into a basic minimum income. Thanks, God bless.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

So now wages must be maintained and jobs must stay so what do we do? Start phasing out public corporation and start phasing in Federally owned enterprises on a large scale.

I, for one, welcome our new communist overlords

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Venomous posted:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

The left is currently trying to attack big corporations again. Their ammunition this time? The mass layoffs that will occur when minimum wage is increased to $15. Big business and small business share holders will suffer, and guess who's to blame? BIG OL' GUBMENT for allowing public shareholder companies. So now profits must be maintained and growth must continue so what do we do? Start phasing out public corporation and start phasing in Federally owned enterprises on a large scale.

Fixed that, more truthy.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Unions are the worst and the cause of every single problem in business.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Unions are the worst and the cause of every single problem in business.

But I have no union yet workers still want raise? What do? Must be union postman....

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
A high Minimum wage is a bad policy, we should have a low minimum wage and generous EITC. We want people to find employment and we want them to receive a more money.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Venomous posted:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I hope one day we are waging war on countries to instill a living wage

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Foma posted:

A high Minimum wage is a bad policy, we should have a low minimum wage and generous EITC. We want people to find employment and we want them to receive a more money.

This.

15 USD is loving ridiculous.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

thehomemaster posted:

This.

why tho?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

10 employes all making 10 dollars is 100 dollars an hour for staffing

bam 15 bucks minimum wage now.

7 employees making 15 dollars is 105 dollars an hour

So can 7 people spend more with 1/3rd more income If having 15 minimum wage jump your tax bracket to have about 1/3rd of your income gone every month on taxes alone.

And after they nuke the employment all the products jump by a % margin to make up for that 5 dollars or 10 dollars, or whatever the difference in wage is for the employees.

So by an average there would be 30% more unemployment for low wage earners.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 5, 2015

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Imagine thinking "this is a bad idea" and still being able to look in the mirror at yourself and not be like WELP I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON SEE YOU LATER.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LeoMarr posted:

So can 7 people spend more with 1/3rd more income If having 15 minimum wage jump your tax bracket to have about 1/3rd of your income gone every month on taxes alone.

And after they nuke the employment all the products jump by a % margin to make up for that 5 dollars or 10 dollars, or whatever the difference in wage is for the employees.

Workers being parasites that do nothing for companies, anything that fires them is good for the economy.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

THATCHER BRAINWASH posted:

Imagine thinking "this is a bad idea" and still being able to look in the mirror at yourself and not be like WELP I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON SEE YOU LATER.

rofl yeah let's just base all decisions on emotions, that's sound

Minimum wage in Australia is like $16 an hour, that's $16 AUD not loving $15 USD.

Lower costs of living (healthcare, housing, education but make sure they are actually decent) and then you wouldn't need some arbitrarily high wage rate that will gut small to medium businesses.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeoMarr posted:

So a company had ten workers doing work that could be accomplished with 7? Managers should be fired for incompetence.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

thehomemaster posted:

Minimum wage in Australia is like $16 an hour, that's $16 AUD not loving $15 USD.

Lower costs of living (healthcare, housing, education but make sure they are actually decent) and then you wouldn't need some arbitrarily high wage rate that will gut small to medium businesses.

Yes crab bucket mentality is a much sounder form of economic analysis

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

thehomemaster posted:

Yes if we actually were a home grown economy that wasn't based on services instead of goods we probably wouldn't need to have a $15 an hour wage.

The clickbait in a sense is the big number mindset. I'm making more money even though I am spending way more.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol at the idea that the opposition to raising the minimum wage is out of a desire for sound policy.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

thehomemaster posted:

This.

agreed.

$20 minimum wage now!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

Yes if we actually were a home grown economy that wasn't based on services instead of goods we probably wouldn't need to have a $15 an hour wage.

The clickbait in a sense is the big number mindset. I'm making more money even though I am spending way more.

http://www.dol.gov/minwage/mythbuster.htm

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
remember that mass spiral of inflation and unemployment that happened the last time we raised the minimum wage?

Or the ten times before that? No? Huh.

I bet you could go back and find some shitstain saying 40 cents a day is too much.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

Why do you want the government to subsidize low-wage jobs?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do you want the government to subsidize low-wage jobs?

Because I want people who are unemployed to find work and I want those people to get a decent amount of income as well.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Foma posted:

Because I want people who are unemployed to find work and I want those people to get a decent amount of income as well.

Lowering the minimum wage will not lead to more people getting hired.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

So by an average there would be 30% more unemployment for low wage earners.

Businesses generally employ as few people as possible to keep their costs low. They pay as little as the market will bear as well (since there is a great deal of unemployment, they can basically go to near-zero for nonskilled labor if there are no regulations in place). Business owners then take the excess of revenue over costs as something called "profit." Increasing the minimum wage may force some cuts and price increases, but businesses won't just lay off 30% of their labor force; that is an inane presumption. At least some of the pressure, in fact probably most, would go to reduced profits, price increases, etc.

You're applying a middle school understanding of math and economics to an issue that is actually very complex. Everyone is cringing and laughing.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Foma posted:

Higher Min wage seems like a pretty good incentive. Inflation comes later if a bunch of bankers piss the bed when the poor's knock down their lawn ornaments.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

Sounds like a recipe for inflation and out of control budget deficits imo.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Those minimum wage workers aren't going to use the extra money. They're just going to burn the $5 note and there's no way they would spend it on goods and services provided by small businesses.

If anything just shoot the workers so job creators can make fatter stacks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vox Nihili posted:

Businesses generally employ as few people as possible to keep their costs low. They pay as little as the market will bear as well. Business owners then take the excess of revenue over costs as something called "profit." Increasing the minimum wage may force some cuts and price increases, but businesses won't just lay off 30% of their labor force; that is an inane presumption.

You're applying a middle school understanding of math and economics to an issue that is actually very complex. Everyone is cringing and laughing.

hahaha you sure about that? I know at least 5 businesses that would nuke their labor force to bring profits back up. IF you're paid $15 an hour you're going to be expected to do the world of 1.50

Interesting how the minimum wage and employment levels nearly sync when you look at the annual wage increases.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Yes, truly Jewish miser caricatures are the impetus behind minimum wage raising propositions, you got me there.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The min wage will be tied to inflation and the rivers will be of blood whilst the angels weep.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

hahaha you sure about that? I know at least 5 businesses that would nuke their labor force to bring profits back up. IF you're paid $15 an hour you're going to be expected to do the world of 1.50

congrats you know 5 poorly run businesses

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeoMarr posted:

If they could fire people to increase profits without it affecting their products or services then why aren't they doing it right now and making their shareholders more money like they're supposed to?

So you've got charts showing that cyclical unemployment occurs and that the minwage has increased over time, congrats.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2015

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I think we need fiscal responsibility and tight belts. it's about time america growed up. We need to get serious about budget slippage and about government waste. Quoth the raven, "Vouchers," and I knew in my heart-of-hearts that blessed bird was right!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LeoMarr posted:

Interesting how the minimum wage and employment levels nearly sync when you look at the annual wage increases.

They teach you about the difference between real and nominal dollars in high school, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Hey look raising the mimum wage is fine, but $15 bucks an hour? Nah, get out.

• Locked thread