Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Hey look raising the mimum wage is fine, but $15 bucks an hour? Nah, get out.

Is there some specific number we absolutely cannot raise the minimum wage above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

paragon1 posted:

If they could fire people to increase profits without it affecting their products or services then why aren't they doing it right now and making their shareholders more money like they're supposed to?

Employment levels are manageable currently. Wages have been near the same for a whil now so the big brains in the corporate world have already calculated exactly how many people they can field at 10 an hour as opposed to how many are needed.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there some specific number we absolutely cannot raise the minimum wage above?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes. 7.75 has been said to be the healthiest wage for a low wage earner, but we'd have to actually have an economy to make that work.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Yes. 7.75 has been said to be the healthiest wage for a low wage earner, but we'd have to actually have an economy to make that work.

Said by who, besides forums poster and labor economist LeoMarr?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

BlueBlazer posted:

Higher Min wage seems like a pretty good incentive. Inflation comes later if a bunch of bankers piss the bed when the poor's knock down their lawn ornaments.

A higher minimum wage means less people will be employed. Inflation and the minimum wage really have no link, there isn't enough money added to the pot to matter there.

What I am suggesting is that Businesses can pay people less, the government picks up the difference and then some so those people take home more money. The government then sets up the incentives so that as those people climb out of minimum wage jobs the subsidies make that profitable for them before leveling out then decreasing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

A higher minimum wage means less people will be employed.

Does it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeoMarr posted:

Employment levels are manageable currently. Wages have been near the same for a whil now so the big brains in the corporate world have already calculated exactly how many people they can field at 10 an hour as opposed to how many are needed.

Way to miss the point completely dingus. Why are managers wasting shareholder money paying people they don't need? Why would I choose between 10 people at 5 and 5 people at 10 when I could have 5 people at 5?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Your question implies you think it should always rise, even above CPI. Also, such a massive leap in wages is risky.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Economists and empiricism say no, but my gut says absolutely, it does.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes It does, do you know why? Because higher wages favor those who already have jobs. a 5 dollar wage increase massively increases your operating costs.

SO lets go back to 10 employees at 10 bucks a pop

Jumps to 15

10 employees at 15 bucks an hour now costs you 150 instead of 100. a 33% increase in operating costs in a split second. Please tell me some businesses that could handle losing 1600 per day for 10 employees.

So maybe they manage with 9 and drop 1 guy. That spot is now gone until the business can handle hiring another person. So the unemployed person that may have gotten that job when so and so moved on now has no job. Because 9 workers are making 15 bucks and they're happy as gently caress why would they quit now?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Jagchosis posted:

Economists and empiricism say no, but my gut says absolutely, it does.

I am pretty a majority of Economists would say a higher minimum wage leads to less jobs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Foma posted:

Prove it. This is a massive assumption that does not match up with history.

Foma posted:

Inflation and the minimum wage really have no link, there isn't enough money added to the pot to matter there.

What I am suggesting is that Businesses can pay people less, the government picks up the difference and then some so those people take home more money. The government then sets up the incentives so that as those people climb out of minimum wage jobs the subsidies make that profitable for them before leveling out then decreasing.

The minimum wage jobs will always be there though, and there will be somebody working for them.

Why should the U.S. government subsidize Wal-Mart and McDonald's poo poo employment practices?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

LeoMarr posted:

10 employees at 15 bucks an hour now costs you 150 instead of 100. a 33% increase in operating costs in a split second.

ahahahahahaha

oh wait you're serious

:dogbutton:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

I am pretty a majority of Economists would say a higher minimum wage leads to less jobs.

If you're pretty sure maybe you could post some proof, or a survey, or some data.

I'm pretty sure a majority of industrial workers long for full communism.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

Yes It does, do you know why? Because higher wages favor those who already have jobs. a 5 dollar wage increase massively increases your operating costs.

SO lets go back to 10 employees at 10 bucks a pop

Jumps to 15

10 employees at 15 bucks an hour now costs you 150 instead of 100. a 33% increase in operating costs in a split second. Please tell me some businesses that could handle losing 1600 per day for 10 employees.

So maybe they manage with 9 and drop 1 guy. That spot is now gone until the business can handle hiring another person. So the unemployed person that may have gotten that job when so and so moved on now has no job. Because 9 workers are making 15 bucks and they're happy as gently caress why would they quit now?

Hm, incorrectly calculated elementary school level math. You have defeated the economists, and recorded history.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

spoon0042 posted:

ahahahahahaha

oh wait you're serious

Yeah I mean you have less training costs because higher minimum wage does decrease employee turnover for slightly higher paying jobs. However it does not decrease unemployment.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Some itneresting pointers on issues around minimum wage:

http://marginalrevolution.com/?s=minimum+wage

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Foma posted:

Foma, what if more discretionary spending on part of the middle and lower classes drives means higher demand for normal goods, which means a higher selling price so that producers on the margin between previous demand and current demand will be willing to hire workers at that higher projected selling price?

less demand for inferior/discount goods might adversely affect dollar stores but that's okay because those stores only exist because of free trade agreements that make it profitable to ship products of foreign labor here

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

spoon0042 posted:

ahahahahahaha

oh wait you're serious

:dogbutton:

Yeah, it's well-known that labor is 100% of operating costs. In fact, this is the USA, so it's 110%!!!

I mean, that's kind of a bigger deal than 150% being a 33% increase from 100%. Baby steps.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Foma posted:

I'm pretty sure I posted a link in this thread that said that you are incorrect and that I hosed yer mum

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Lmao yeah let me listen to some George Mason economics professors about literally anything.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Workers don't spend their money on goods/services provided by businesses so smart businesses will pay their workers less.

checkmate leftards

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

More recently, Mindy Marks found that the $0.90 per hour increase in the federal minimum-wage rate in 1990 reduced the probability of workers receiving employer-provided health insurance from 66.2 percent to 63.1 percent, and increased the likelihood that covered workers would be reduced to part-time work by 26 percent.

Additionally, North Carolina State University economist Walter Wessels determined that a wage increase caused New York retailers to increase work demands. In most stores, fewer workers were given fewer hours to do the same work as before.

And if the minimum wage were raised to $10.10 an hour, for example, the estimated 16.5 million workers earning between $7.25 and $10.10 could lose nonmonetary compensation more valuable than the $31 billion in additional wages they are expected to receive.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

thehomemaster posted:

oh my god

this graph

look at it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

oh my god

this graph

look at it

That sure is a graph all right. It has 9000 whole units on the y-axis

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Foma posted:

You gonna cite something or do we just go with our guts? Because mine disagrees with yours.

thehomemaster posted:

Your question implies you think it should always rise, even above CPI. Also, such a massive leap in wages is risky.

We had a 45% increase less than ten years ago. When will this risk appear?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

If you're pretty sure maybe you could post some proof, or a survey, or some data.

I'm pretty sure a majority of industrial workers long for full communism.

quote:

Surveys of economists[edit]
According to a 1978 article in the American Economic Review, 90% of the economists surveyed agreed that the minimum wage increases unemployment among low-skilled workers.[133] By 1992 the survey found 79% of economists in agreement with that statement,[134] and by 2000, 45.6% were in full agreement with the statement and 27.9% agreed with provisos (73.5% total).[135][136] The authors of the 2000 study also reweighted data from a 1990 sample to show that at that time 62.4% of academic economists agreed with the statement above, while 19.5% agreed with provisos and 17.5% disagreed. They state that the reduction on consensus on this question is "likely" due to the Card and Krueger research and subsequent debate.[137]
A similar survey in 2006 by Robert Whaples polled PhD members of the American Economic Association (AEA). Whaples found that 46.8% respondents wanted the minimum wage eliminated, 37.7% supported an increase, 14.3% wanted it kept at the current level, and 1.3% wanted it decreased.[138] Another survey in 2007 conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center found that 73% of labor economists surveyed in the United States believed 150% of the then-current minimum wage would result in employment losses and 68% believed a mandated minimum wage would cause an increase in hiring of workers with greater skills. 31% felt that no hiring changes would result.[139]

Surveys of labor economists have found a sharp split on the minimum wage. Fuchs et al. (1998) polled labor economists at the top 40 research universities in the United States on a variety of questions in the summer of 1996. Their 65 respondents were nearly evenly divided when asked if the minimum wage should be increased. They argued that the different policy views were not related to views on whether raising the minimum wage would reduce teen employment (the median economist said there would be a reduction of 1%), but on value differences such as income redistribution.[140] Daniel B. Klein and Stewart Dompe conclude, on the basis of previous surveys, "the average level of support for the minimum wage is somewhat higher among labor economists than among AEA members."[141]
In 2007, Klein and Dompe conducted a non-anonymous survey of supporters of the minimum wage who had signed the "Raise the Minimum Wage" statement published by the Economic Policy Institute. 95 of the 605 signatories responded. They found that a majority signed on the grounds that it transferred income from employers to workers, or equalized bargaining power between them in the labor market. In addition, a majority considered disemployment to be a moderate potential drawback to the increase they supported.[141]

In 2013, a diverse group of economics experts was surveyed on their view of the minimum wage's impact on employment. 34% of respondents agreed with the statement, "Raising the federal minimum wage to $9 per hour would make it noticeably harder for low-skilled workers to find employment." 32% disagreed and the remaining respondents were uncertain or had no opinion on the question. 49% agreed with the statement, "The distortionary costs of raising the federal minimum wage to $9 per hour and indexing it to inflation are sufficiently small compared with the benefits to low-skilled workers who can find employment that this would be a desirable policy", while 11% disagree.

Here is your wikipedia poo poo dump.

But it is pretty much common sense if you increase the cost to business there will be some marginal jobs that are no longer worth it. Sure helping out the other workers earn more might make up for it and not too many people will be impacted, but ALL THAT IS UNNECESSARY. If you just lower the minimum wage add those marginal jobs back in then add some more marginal jobs. Then have the government give money too all those workers so they make more then they would have made with a modest increase in the minimum wage.

then you tax the rich some to pay for all this

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Who cares about low-skilled workers, they're just Mexicans, right?

paragon1 posted:

You gonna cite something or do we just go with our guts? Because mine disagrees with yours.

We had a 45% increase less than ten years ago. When will this risk appear?

Yeah but America, man. They're just patently out of step. This is how you do it.

http://workplaceinfo.com.au/payroll/wages-and-salaries/history-of-national-increases

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Foma posted:

then you tax the rich some to pay for all this

Being that we can't seem to tax the rich, a min wage hike is a nice door prize.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$15 an hour is ridiculous. I've made minimum wage most of my young life (which was $10.50 CAD where I live), and that was more than reasonable considering the work I did was extremely simple and required no education or training. Also, at the time finding a job was much harder than putting up with the low pay. Now that I recently finished my education I'm making around $14 an hour, and the idea that some teenager can get a zero-skill job and start getting paid more than I did after years of studying is absurd. If you want to get paid more, go to school, get promoted, or get a job with hazard pay. Otherwise, consume less. Raising the minimum to $15 for work that any stupid teenager can do is just going to make everything really expensive for everyone else and make it even harder for uneducated people to get jobs. You're not going to transfer wealth from the rich to the poor this way, all this will accomplish is expand the lower class and raise the poverty line.

paragon1 posted:

Your guts are loving retarded. That's pretty much all the reply this deserves.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ervin K posted:

$15 an hour is ridiculous. I've made minimum wage most of my young life (which was $10.50 CAD where I live), and that was more than reasonable considering the work I did was extremely simple and required no education or training. Now that I recently finished my education I'm making around $14 an hour, and the idea that some teenager can get a zero-skill job and start getting paid more than I did after years of studying is absurd. If you want to get paid more, go to school, get promoted, or get a job with hazard pay. Otherwise, consume less. Raising the minimum to $15 for work that any stupid teenager can do is just going to make everything really expensive for everyone else and make it even harder for uneducated people to get jobs. You're not going to transfer wealth from the rich to the poor this way, all this will accomplish is expand the lower class and raise the poverty line.

Yes no need for economic justice, because there are an infinite supply of jobs for educated people. And teenagers are the only people who work minimum wage jobs. It is quite easy to support a family on that level of income, as well.

My crystal ball is telling me something... You are white, childless, and single

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ervin K posted:

$15 an hour is ridiculous. I've made minimum wage most of my young life (which was $10.50 CAD where I live), and that was more than reasonable considering the work I did was extremely simple and required no education or training.

It's adorable that the basic objection to an adequate minimum wage is basically "I personally don't think the work is worth that much, and besides I walked five miles to school, uphill both ways..."

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

If you qualify for food stamps while working 40 hours a week, then you're not being paid enough and the government is subsidizing whatever lovely company you're working for.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I don't see how communists think that this is a better idea than redistribution from the wealthy?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Horking Delight posted:

If you qualify for food stamps while working 40 hours a week, then you're not being paid enough and the government is subsidizing whatever lovely company you're working for.

Don't think of it as subsidizing a company, think of it as a government job, that is economically beneficial, cheaper for the government to run, and with less overhead costs.

I mean you could have them digging holes, then filling them in, but this way more people get hamburgers or tiny american flags.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ervin K posted:

$15 an hour is ridiculous. I've made minimum wage most of my young life (which was $10.50 CAD where I live), and that was more than reasonable considering the work I did was extremely simple and required no education or training. Also, at the time finding a job was much harder than putting up with the low pay. Now that I recently finished my education I'm making around $14 an hour, and the idea that some teenager can get a zero-skill job and start getting paid more than I did after years of studying is absurd. If you want to get paid more, go to school, get promoted, or get a job with hazard pay. Otherwise, consume less. Raising the minimum to $15 for work that any stupid teenager can do is just going to make everything really expensive for everyone else and make it even harder for uneducated people to get jobs. You're not going to transfer wealth from the rich to the poor this way, all this will accomplish is expand the lower class and raise the poverty line.

Your guts are loving retarded. That's pretty much all the reply this deserves.

There's a lot to unpack in this post but I'm not quite sure I'm qualified.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jagchosis posted:

economic justice
Is this an actual term that idiots use these days?

quote:

because there are an infinite supply of jobs for educated people.
There aren't, and I'm well aware of that because I didn't go to a top tier university and study something that is in very high demand, but I also didn't pick a stupid major or feel entitled to a job just because I went to school.

quote:

And teenagers are the only people who work minimum wage jobs. It is quite easy to support a family on that level of income, as well.
even if you're an idiot who spawned a bunch of offspring without having a decent income beforehand, society will still pay for your mistakes via government benefits that exist in any developed country. We shouldn't set minimum wage policy just based on the fact that some people have kids while poor.

quote:

My crystal ball is telling me something... You are white, childless, and single
:qq:

Thanks for the stale response of arguments we've all heard a million times already.

Horking Delight posted:

If you need to be paid $15 an hour to get off food stamps then the problem is probably somewhere else. The government subsidizing lovely companies is not a minimum wage issue.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's adorable that the basic objection to an adequate minimum wage is basically "I personally don't think the work is worth that much"
Welcome to the real world, it's never going to change no matter how hard you try. The adorable thing is that this somehow upsets you.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2015

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

Foma posted:

Don't think of it as subsidizing a company, think of it as a government job, that is economically beneficial, cheaper for the government to run, and with less overhead costs.

I mean you could have them digging holes, then filling them in, but this way more people get hamburgers or tiny american flags.

I'd rather the company just be nationalized and the shareholders sent to the firing squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

There's a lot to unpack in this post but I'm not quite sure I'm qualified.

I'm an ubermensch because I barely attained an Associate's degree

• Locked thread