Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Ervin K posted:

Keep projecting if it makes you feel better.
I don't know where you get "projecting," I'm p much the opposite of what I described. I like my job and don't think about money - I work for the experiences of it - but also know other people aren't as lucky as me that I was able to stay at home in a middle class environment while earning the money for my job trainin'. To get that money I worked minimum wage, where I was surrounded with less lucky people who support families and pay rent on that minwage because they're mexican and companies in the area will not hire them or because when you're working 45 hours a week and barely keep your head above the surface on that, it's hard to just go "lol, let's slap down 10 hours a week and 6k on some training."

Ervin K posted:

This is a total coincidence, but i used to live in suburban Ohio.

Me too.

Did you notice that the janitors, or restaurant workers, or food court workers, or warehouse workers, or anyone else in everyday interactions that help society run, were actual people when you interacted with them? Did you notice those positions weren't all filled with teenagers/young adults that you knew from school, and so had to come from some other background?

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Area Man Accuses Bystanders of Throwing a Temper Tantrum With Angry Tears Welling Up

More at 11

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Abolish the minimum wage and funnel all resources into robotics research. Within 10 years we will have full blown techno-communism.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ervin K have you ever hosed a watermelon?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ervin K posted:

My god, the irony, the glorious irony. Whatever you say buddy!

Yes my God the irony. Post :qq: again, it will surely own people who have any idea of what the gently caress they're talking about.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

paragon1 posted:

Area Man Accuses Bystanders of Throwing a Temper Tantrum With Angry Tears Welling Up

More at 11

Look he used to live in the suburbs once, he clearly understands poverty in America and that people should just deal with it

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Typo posted:

If you want to have a minimum wage debate D&D is possibly the worst place to have it, because there is too much of an emotional attachment to the minimum wage as a policy (rather than as a principle) that opposing it basically makes you what an apostate is to a true believer.

Yea take it to freep.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I majored in history and make no money because my history degree is worth less than the paper it's printed on. I do agree that colleges should teach a real life 101 class, but this is about the minimum wage. As some people have said, until we get efficient and autonomous robots, we are always going to need people to do 'low skill' jobs, janitors, harvesters, what have you. Those things are literally a necessity if you like clean buildings or food. Why should they be paid less than anyone else if their work is vital? Why shouldn't they be able to have a comfortable life?

And I think a big problem with economics is its so politicized asking a big group of x economists is much different from another big group. I'm basically reminded of this sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQSMsH9PF_I

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typo posted:

If you want to have a minimum wage debate D&D is possibly the worst place to have it, because there is too much of an emotional attachment to the minimum wage as a policy (rather than as a principle) that opposing it basically makes you what an apostate is to a true believer.

Yah, everyone should be Mr. Motherfucking Spock about this.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Ervin K have you ever hosed a watermelon?

He has, for 14 Canadian dollars an hour, and by gum, he earned it. Unlike those ungrateful poors.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Abolish the minimum wage and funnel all resources into robotics research. Within 10 years we will have full blown techno-communism.

Robot Stalin will really be the Man of Steel!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Effectronica posted:

Yah, everyone should be Mr. Motherfucking Spock about this.

*Is unironically proud of the fact that he doesn't want to have a rational discussion.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Typo posted:

*Is unironically proud of the fact that he doesn't want to have a rational discussion.

I'm unsure as to what kind of rationality one could bring into a conversation about minimum wage that advocates keeping it as it is now. By all means, I would love to hear what you have to say.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ervin K posted:

Well I'm not surprised my point went over your head. What I was trying to say is that no government policy is going to change the value of low skill jobs. But keep crying about "DEM CONSERVATIVES :qq:"

The government can and does change the value of minimum wage jobs? By fiat? By declaring a minimum wage? Like I get you're not particularly bright but this is basic stuff dude. I don't care about your subjective valuation of low skilled labor, it's worth whatever the employer pays for it, and if they are required to pay a minimum wage then viola

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Typo posted:

Be the change you want to see buddy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Typo posted:

Because the counter arguments have been so good and convincing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

paragon1 posted:

More at 11

Man Making $14.50 An Hour At The Local Amazon Warehouse Spits On Minimum Wage Workers

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typo posted:

The idea that "rationality" means not having any emotional investment is a pernicious kind of insanity, one that is basically coterminous with technocracy.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Hmm yes another thread where the ~rational argument~ involves either corporate welfare through EITC and social programs for reduced min wage or simply continuing to ignore economic underclass being exploited.

Please think of the poor companies

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Effectronica posted:

The idea that "rationality" means not having any emotional investment is a pernicious kind of insanity, one that is basically coterminous with technocracy.

Star Trek has repeatedly demonstrated the limitations of such thinking. Ultimately the Vulcans are a stunted race, constitutionally limited in their ability to understand the political reality around them, always secondary to the more emotionally vibrant humans. Truly a lesson for the ages.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It would be really jarring to have the minimum wage raised so high, so quickly. Anything i've ever seen on minimum wages increasing is usually implemented in a 'roll out' over the course of a couple years. It would be pretty awesome to wake up tomorrow morning with everybody making mad stacks. Well, every American, anyway.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

joeburz posted:

Hmm yes another thread where the ~rational argument~ involves either corporate welfare through EITC and social programs for reduced min wage or simply continuing to ignore economic underclass being exploited.

Please think of the poor companies

He's so rational though. He posted :qq: even, to demonstrate how rational he is.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Eimi posted:

I majored in history and make no money because my history degree is worth less than the paper it's printed on. I do agree that colleges should teach a real life 101 class, but this is about the minimum wage. As some people have said, until we get efficient and autonomous robots, we are always going to need people to do 'low skill' jobs, janitors, harvesters, what have you. Those things are literally a necessity if you like clean buildings or food. Why should they be paid less than anyone else if their work is vital? Why shouldn't they be able to have a comfortable life?

And I think a big problem with economics is its so politicized asking a big group of x economists is much different from another big group. I'm basically reminded of this sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQSMsH9PF_I

FYI those things already are and can continue to be addressed by policy other than minimum wage.

Minimum wage is fascinating [here] because it's a bizarre intersection of leftism and market economics. "We must use the market to address social welfare". Really?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The government can and does change the value of minimum wage jobs? By fiat? By declaring a minimum wage? Like I get you're not particularly bright but this is basic stuff dude. I don't care about your subjective valuation of low skilled labor, it's worth whatever the employer pays for it, and if they are required to pay a minimum wage then viola

Price != value. The government can set the price of labor by fiat, but I can't think of any feasible way for it to set the value. Price controls are generally a bad thing. The D&D consensus after MW threads play themselves out is that the MW is the worst of the best policy options for boosting incomes at the bottom of the pay-scale. Ideally society would eliminate the minimum wage, tax wealth, and transfer the revenue from those taxes to all Americans in the form of an expanded EITC and more robust social welfare programs.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Price != value. The government can set the price of labor by fiat, but I can't think of any feasible way for it to set the value. Price controls are generally a bad thing. The D&D consensus after MW threads play themselves out is that the MW is the worst of the best policy options for boosting incomes at the bottom of the pay-scale. Ideally society would eliminate the minimum wage, tax wealth, and transfer the revenue from those taxes to all Americans in the form of an expanded EITC and more robust social welfare programs.

How do you define value?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

asdf32 posted:

FYI those things already are and can continue to be addressed by policy other than minimum wage.

Minimum wage is fascinating [here] because it's a bizarre intersection of leftism and market economics. "We must use the market to address social welfare". Really?

In a perfect world we don't need min wage but because most of the country is selfish poo poo lords you gotta go with what can be passed

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why would we need to eliminate the minimum wage?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why EITC though? Why not just mincome? Why make it conditional upon a company being willing to sign off that you did work on a form, make-work or no?

Think about the value equation when you're basically saying that a company can hire employees basically for free. That can only lead to incredible inefficiency in labor utilization.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

joeburz posted:

In a perfect world we don't need min wage but because most of the country is selfish poo poo lords you gotta go with what can be passed

Yeah to me that is probably the best argument for the min wage, there's a whole bunch of other policies you could pass to do the same thing with less of the negatives attached to it but the are politically unviable.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why EITC though? Why not just mincome? Why make it conditional upon a company being willing to sign off that you did work on a form, make-work or no?

Think about the value equation when you're basically saying that a company can hire employees basically for free. That can only lead to incredible inefficiency in labor utilization.

Because the values that have been imprinted on me make me thing needlessly difficult work is the only way to be valued in society!

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Typo posted:

Okay, let me try be logically principled about this.

To oppose a living wage - a wage that has kept up with inflation and allows one to purchase the necessities of life for them and theirs - is to say that some people should not be allowed to stay alive. That is to say, they would do harm to the human body by cutting off some part of it on the rationale that the sacrifice is necessary for the gain of a smaller section of society they belong to. This is antisocial behavior - behavior directed against the majority of society.

Those who oppose a living wage argue that raising the minimum wage would result in higher unemployment - that is, some people would not be able to earn that living wage anyway. Let's disregard whether or not that last point is true (I would point to how it isn't, but that isn't part of this thought exercise). Here we have two outcomes: if wages remain stagnant, some people will not be able to earn a living wage. If minwages are raised, some people will not be able to earn a living wage. Some people will die anyway no matter what in their scenario! So, why should we not weed out those who vocally advocate antisocial behavior - that is, those who advocate doing harm to the human body for the sake of the few and letting the many suffer? If we do that, then the labor surplus they say would be created would be fixed, and those who remain in accord with the human body would enjoy the higher minimum wage with less social conflict enacted by the class of people who do harm to the many for their own private gain. This benefits the most people overall. 584 friedman units obtained. Level up! You gre wto level 34!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

How do you define value?

Value is the benefit provided by a good or service. If value == price then trade is pointless, because you'll never be able to derive surplus value from an exchange. You will only be able to exchange one good or service for a good or service of the exact same value/price.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not sure if the EITC does this already but you could include some kind of a GMI into a negative income tax it by simply have a tax bracket where you get refunds for making $0

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Why would we provide min income when it will just lead to those people getting it who don't deserve my pitifully insignificant tax dollars

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Look if you don't like it when someone advocates purges for pragmatic social gains, maybe you're being a little emotional?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rodatose posted:

Look if you don't like it when someone advocates purges for pragmatic social gains, maybe you're being a little emotional?

Kill all whites.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Typo posted:

I'm not sure if the EITC does this already but you could include some kind of a GMI into a negative income tax it by simply have a tax bracket where you get refunds for making $0

Why bother with all the complication, though? Just do progressive taxation for whatever other income they have (including investment :getin:). If someone is making enough money, the taxes they pay will exceed the mincome anyway. :shrug:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Why would we need to eliminate the minimum wage?

We don't need to eliminate it, it's just inefficient, and it does place a greater burden on small business. Either just give people the money they need to live and let them use this new found bartering power in their own wage negotiations, or take a more indirect approach with an expanded EITC.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why bother with all the complication, though? Just do progressive taxation for whatever other income they have (including investment :getin:). If someone is making enough money, the taxes they pay will exceed the mincome anyway. :shrug:

Because then you are simultaneously giving them an incentive to work as well as providing them with a guaranteed standard of living.

Which sounds to me is the exact principle behind the minimum wage except now you don't get a lot of the negative parts of its implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Typo posted:

Because then you are simultaneously giving them an incentive to work as well as providing them with a guaranteed standard of living.

Which sounds to me is the exact principle behind the minimum wage.

Why is it necessary that people work?

• Locked thread