Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Probably because people apparently view any amount of money removed from a business' profits is the sign of the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
The poorest most vulnerable people already make $0. Well that's not true, they get quarters from strangers and all the cigarette butts they can handle. Increasing or decreasing the minimum wage will never make these people hireable, it will however make the people who put in 40+ a week and still can't support themselves better off, so what if it adds a small percent more to unemployment? That's why you invest in other types of social safety nets, for the people that cannot be employed without working for near slave wages.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

No, you're wrong. Appeal to authority is not an inherently false argument or logical fallacy.

Here let me help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

JeffersonClay, what is your oppinion on watermelons?

edit: please answer in graph form

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Effectronica posted:

How are we defining "benefit to the poor"? You have yet to do so.

The only thing I can think of is he thinks "benefit to the poor" = maximum amount of poor people working, regardless of them earning enough to survive sans some kind of government safety net. So basically $0 minimum wage would apparently be the best thing we could do for poor people since every single person could be employed at that rate without effecting prices.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Look we can't give working poor an adequate wage because then we wouldn't be able to give even more working poor a incredibly subpar wage. Why don't you leftists want as many people to suffer as I?!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Does it really count as being lucky if you get to work all day and still not make enough to survive?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Support more expansive welfare systems then. The point of the minimum wage is to provide adequate compensation for those who do work, if you think they aren't worth that then you are dumb for hiring them. Maybe you can't find better employees because you are offering lovely wages and don't want to fork out for quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Is his argument that because a full time minimum wage worker is above a government set poverty threshold that there is no way anyone can be "working" and "poor"?

• Locked thread