Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ervin K posted:

Now that I recently finished my education I'm making around $14 an hour, and the idea that some teenager can get a zero-skill job and start getting paid more than I did after years of studying is absurd.

This is and has always been the flimsiest argument against a higher minimum wage. If you are happy with your job, how much you make there should be irrelevant compared to what others make elsewhere, and if you were making 15 an hour like everyone else and you were not happy with your job, you should get another one. Other people making enough money to not starve or have to live paycheck to paycheck would be beneficial to the economy, and therefore to you, in every way unless you were a massively wealthy CEO who had to buy one less yacht every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ervin K posted:

Still better than 90% of arguments in favor of it.

How is that better of an argument than 'maybe people starving because they make such low wages is a bad thing and we should fix that' or 'this would stimulate the economy and bring more wealth to everyone but the most wealthy'?

Ervin K posted:

Also since you missed something very clear, I was arguing against a $15/hr minimum wage.

I did not miss this at all, that was exactly what I was responding to :confused:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ervin K posted:

Technically, my job didn't exist 20 years ago, it's not a field that people go to to make a lot of money.

So you're working in a field and admitting that you aren't doing it to make a lot of money. This indicates you enjoy what you are doing. Why would you then be against other people making a living wage as you do? Why would you want others to not make enough money to reasonably survive on?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ervin K posted:

Well I'm not surprised my point went over your head. What I was trying to say is that no government policy is going to change the value of low skill jobs. But keep crying about "DEM CONSERVATIVES :qq:"

Government policy has already changed the value of low-skill jobs by failing to increase the minimum wage in step with inflation, therefore devaluing those jobs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ervin K posted:

i used to live in the suburbs

This explains why you seem to have absolutely no perspective on what it's like to be poor in America.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

paragon1 posted:

Area Man Accuses Bystanders of Throwing a Temper Tantrum With Angry Tears Welling Up

More at 11

Look he used to live in the suburbs once, he clearly understands poverty in America and that people should just deal with it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Typo posted:

*Is unironically proud of the fact that he doesn't want to have a rational discussion.

I'm unsure as to what kind of rationality one could bring into a conversation about minimum wage that advocates keeping it as it is now. By all means, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'd say that the sheer misery of fast food and retail jobs alone is the best argument for a 15/hr minimum wage. Those terrible jobs still would be miserable and soul-crushing but at least people could support themselves on them.

• Locked thread