Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

i am harry posted:

This is a pretty big thing in and of itself (which is probably why it has its own thread)..but the two topics are inextricably linked. Very soon we will need to really start valuing human beings as something more than workers.

That and people who are saying it have absolutely no idea what percentage of the work at McDonalds/etc is done by people who can be replaced by a kiosk, or of what small a percentage of their costs are labor. The people soon to be replaced by automation and the people at minimum wage have some overlap but it's less than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Do I have this right? Is it, you know, data?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

asdf32 posted:

It's possible. Now why do you think that will happen?

I suspect that the current historical low of wages as a percentage of corporate revenue is not unrelated to the historical highs of profits, so it seems a useful place to target. I admittedly can't prove it, but minimum wage increases, even if your predictions are correct, will have a null effect at worst so there's little harm in trying.

If minimum wage increases don't do it, I'm open to the idea of moving something more coercive, but I'll give businesses a chance to react to a gentler nudge first.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

Yes the US during WW2 couldn't weld to plates together, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship#Hull_cracks

• Locked thread