Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$15 an hour is ridiculous. I've made minimum wage most of my young life (which was $10.50 CAD where I live), and that was more than reasonable considering the work I did was extremely simple and required no education or training. Also, at the time finding a job was much harder than putting up with the low pay. Now that I recently finished my education I'm making around $14 an hour, and the idea that some teenager can get a zero-skill job and start getting paid more than I did after years of studying is absurd. If you want to get paid more, go to school, get promoted, or get a job with hazard pay. Otherwise, consume less. Raising the minimum to $15 for work that any stupid teenager can do is just going to make everything really expensive for everyone else and make it even harder for uneducated people to get jobs. You're not going to transfer wealth from the rich to the poor this way, all this will accomplish is expand the lower class and raise the poverty line.

paragon1 posted:

You gonna cite something or do we just go with our guts? Because mine disagrees with yours.

Your guts are loving retarded. That's pretty much all the reply this deserves.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jagchosis posted:

economic justice
Is this an actual term that idiots use these days?

quote:

because there are an infinite supply of jobs for educated people.
There aren't, and I'm well aware of that because I didn't go to a top tier university and study something that is in very high demand, but I also didn't pick a stupid major or feel entitled to a job just because I went to school.

quote:

And teenagers are the only people who work minimum wage jobs. It is quite easy to support a family on that level of income, as well.
even if you're an idiot who spawned a bunch of offspring without having a decent income beforehand, society will still pay for your mistakes via government benefits that exist in any developed country. We shouldn't set minimum wage policy just based on the fact that some people have kids while poor.

quote:

My crystal ball is telling me something... You are white, childless, and single
:qq:

Thanks for the stale response of arguments we've all heard a million times already.

Horking Delight posted:

If you qualify for food stamps while working 40 hours a week, then you're not being paid enough and the government is subsidizing whatever lovely company you're working for.
If you need to be paid $15 an hour to get off food stamps then the problem is probably somewhere else. The government subsidizing lovely companies is not a minimum wage issue.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's adorable that the basic objection to an adequate minimum wage is basically "I personally don't think the work is worth that much"
Welcome to the real world, it's never going to change no matter how hard you try. The adorable thing is that this somehow upsets you.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2015

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spoon0042 posted:

poors will just hoard money now let me tell you why "job creators" need more tax breaks

Top tier discussion going on in this thread.

I have a brilliant counterpoint: Everyone in this thread majored in women's studies and is now upset that their McDonald's paycheck isn't enough to buy organic food with.

I can do it too! :D

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2015

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cubey posted:

This is and has always been the flimsiest argument against a higher minimum wage. If you are happy with your job, how much you make there should be irrelevant compared to what others make elsewhere, and if you were making 15 an hour like everyone else and you were not happy with your job, you should get another one. Other people making enough money to not starve or have to live paycheck to paycheck would be beneficial to the economy, and therefore to you, in every way unless you were a massively wealthy CEO who had to buy one less yacht every year.

Still better than 90% of arguments in favor of it. Also since you missed something very clear, I was arguing against a $15/hr minimum wage.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emfive posted:

You realize that in real terms you're being paid less than somebody doing your job (or an equivalent) a few decades ago, right? And that that's true even though the people you're working for are much wealthier than employers back then?

Technically, my job didn't exist 20 years ago, it's not a field that people go to to make a lot of money.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emfive posted:

^^ :tipshat:

So if you're doing work that you want to do why on earth would you argue that people who are doing jobs to stay alive shouldn't make as much? What kind of monster are you, out of curiosity?

I'm not arguing about how much people should be making, you people are doing some pretty hardcore mental gymnastics here. I'm arguing that the government shouldn't force companies to pay people $15 just for showing up. Also we all do jobs to stay alive, I'm curious in what part of America do you need to make $15 an hour to stay alive? And another point nobody has addressed yet; how are jobless people going to "stay alive" after that higher minimum wage raises prices for everything and makes it even harder to get a job?

Keep projecting if it makes you feel better.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 5, 2015

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, so why do retarded manchild conservatives scream and throw louder and louder tantrums when left wing policy is enacted and is successful? The world's not going to change no matter how hard they try. You should take your own advice

Well I'm not surprised my point went over your head. What I was trying to say is that no government policy is going to change the value of low skill jobs. But keep crying about "DEM CONSERVATIVES :qq:"

All the best temper tantrums are here on SA

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 5, 2015

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What you are saying is

Please tell me more about what I'm saying, I'm dying to know!

emfive posted:

So you actually have no idea what you're talking about, right? You're not living in the US, right?
This is a total coincidence, but i used to live in suburban Ohio.

Anyway, I've posted enough. I didn't really expect anything more than you guys to get really mad over someone else's opinions. I'm just gonna enjoy reading all the posts about "Why doesn't the rest of the country understand that were correct about everything! :qq:"

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jagchosis posted:

You infantilize arguments of people that disagree with you because you know nothing of which you are talking about.
My god, the irony, the glorious irony, and all that rage! Whatever you say buddy!

• Locked thread