Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeoMarr posted:

10 employes all making 10 dollars is 100 dollars an hour for staffing

bam 15 bucks minimum wage now.

7 employees making 15 dollars is 105 dollars an hour

So can 7 people spend more with 1/3rd more income If having 15 minimum wage jump your tax bracket to have about 1/3rd of your income gone every month on taxes alone.

And after they nuke the employment all the products jump by a % margin to make up for that 5 dollars or 10 dollars, or whatever the difference in wage is for the employees.

So a company had ten workers doing work that could be accomplished with 7? Managers should be fired for incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol at the idea that the opposition to raising the minimum wage is out of a desire for sound policy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
remember that mass spiral of inflation and unemployment that happened the last time we raised the minimum wage?

Or the ten times before that? No? Huh.

I bet you could go back and find some shitstain saying 40 cents a day is too much.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Foma posted:

Because I want people who are unemployed to find work and I want those people to get a decent amount of income as well.

Lowering the minimum wage will not lead to more people getting hired.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeoMarr posted:

hahaha you sure about that? I know at least 5 businesses that would nuke their labor force to bring profits back up. IF you're paid $15 an hour you're going to be expected to do the world of 1.50

If they could fire people to increase profits without it affecting their products or services then why aren't they doing it right now and making their shareholders more money like they're supposed to?

So you've got charts showing that cyclical unemployment occurs and that the minwage has increased over time, congrats.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeoMarr posted:

Employment levels are manageable currently. Wages have been near the same for a whil now so the big brains in the corporate world have already calculated exactly how many people they can field at 10 an hour as opposed to how many are needed.

Way to miss the point completely dingus. Why are managers wasting shareholder money paying people they don't need? Why would I choose between 10 people at 5 and 5 people at 10 when I could have 5 people at 5?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Foma posted:

A higher minimum wage means less people will be employed.

Prove it. This is a massive assumption that does not match up with history.

Foma posted:

Inflation and the minimum wage really have no link, there isn't enough money added to the pot to matter there.

What I am suggesting is that Businesses can pay people less, the government picks up the difference and then some so those people take home more money. The government then sets up the incentives so that as those people climb out of minimum wage jobs the subsidies make that profitable for them before leveling out then decreasing.

The minimum wage jobs will always be there though, and there will be somebody working for them.

Why should the U.S. government subsidize Wal-Mart and McDonald's poo poo employment practices?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Foma posted:

I am pretty a majority of Economists would say a higher minimum wage leads to less jobs.
You gonna cite something or do we just go with our guts? Because mine disagrees with yours.

thehomemaster posted:

Your question implies you think it should always rise, even above CPI. Also, such a massive leap in wages is risky.

We had a 45% increase less than ten years ago. When will this risk appear?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Area Man Accuses Bystanders of Throwing a Temper Tantrum With Angry Tears Welling Up

More at 11

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ervin K have you ever hosed a watermelon?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Typo posted:

*Is unironically proud of the fact that he doesn't want to have a rational discussion.

Be the change you want to see buddy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I blame the children.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

thehomemaster posted:

I literally have no idea what is happening in this thread anymore.

We're patiently waiting for a response to the watermelon loving inquiry.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

President Kucinich posted:

Guys I heard paying workers more money is bad for the economy. c/d?

d

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

Everything depends on the specifics.

If it's a raise to $15/hour then..

Some businesses would not be viable.

Name one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

There are lots of reasons to think that. Productivity in some things has gone up but real prices have been competed down. A company like Walmart posts a net margin of 3-4% - that's profit after paying out employees and taxes, but not the owners. That's still billions of dollars, sure, but not a lot compared to the size of the operation.

They make 16 billion dollars every year and have a GDP larger than Pakistan.

You know who shops a lot at Wal-Mart? People who make minimum wage. Wal-Mart can only benefit from its customers (some of whom are their employees) from making more money. And it has the side bonus of the Feds not needing to help fund a private businesses lovely labor practices through SNAP.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

Small restaurants in innumerable towns in the U.S., for one. A lot of them already skirt the law because if they didn't they'd be broke.

So you can't actually name one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
asdf have you ever hosed a watermelon?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I could be providing jobs in the mining sector right now if not for the perfidious federal child labor regulations and minimum wage laws

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What's a few hundred scalped children in the face of cheap socks?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

yeah but $15 minimum wage is stupid

Your right it should be $20.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

what about that guy who started out at minimum wage back when it was $6.50/hour and he's been working all these years and it up to $15 now. that's almost $9 an hour he has earned in raises over the last decade or so. and then minimum wage gets bumped up to $15/hour.

sorry dude, in 9 years you managed to go from minimum wage to minimum wage.

that's pretty lovely and if you disagree that it is lovely, you would be a lovely employer.

This is retarded. He isn't making any less money.

Oh but he can't claim to be superior to a whole lot of people because he makes the same amount of money as them, so horrible :qq:.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also I can't think of a single job in the entire loving world where the pay band runs from minimum to $15 an hour.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If you tie your self-worth and esteem to the amount of money you make you are hella hosed up imho.

Maybe find something to like about yourself besides what someone is willing to pay you?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Minwage raise opponents:
"Think of what you'll be costing the poor people!"
Quickly followed by
"I don't want to make the same as the poor people."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

alright, then what should we do for the guy who has been working for almost a decade and is now getting paid what you wish minimum wage to be, and then minimum wage gets raised to that? regardless if your argument is "he won't be making less money!" it's a really lovely and demoralizing feeling to go from minimum wage, work nine years, and then you're back to minimum wage.

i would be loving LIVID if that happened to me, and i'm sure a good portion of people would be too.

Have you considered

paragon1 posted:

If you tie your self-worth and esteem to the amount of money you make you are hella hosed up imho.

Maybe find something to like about yourself besides what someone is willing to pay you?

?

Or maybe ask for a raise.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

publix supermarket cake decorators max at $14.89/hour and they cross train people who make minimum bagging groceries to be cake decorators :ssh:

Now Publix can pay all its employees what they pay cake decorators! They're employee owned, it's not like it would be costing the owners anything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Getting paid what you are worth has nothing to do with self esteem. It has a lot to do with getting paid what you are worth. There are jobs out there that are not worth $15/hour.

Cole posted:

alright, then what should we do for the guy who has been working for almost a decade and is now getting paid what you wish minimum wage to be, and then minimum wage gets raised to that? regardless if your argument is "he won't be making less money!" it's a really lovely and demoralizing feeling to go from minimum wage, work nine years, and then you're back to minimum wage.

i would be loving LIVID if that happened to me, and i'm sure a good portion of people would be too.

It seems to be about self-esteem for you at least. If your job was worth $15 yesterday then it is worth $15 today. Unless you think you aren't getting paid what you are worth?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is your boss loving you in the rear end fiscally Cole?

Maybe you should do something about it instead of whining about the idea of other people getting paid a decent wage for once.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Really? You don't think people would be pissed about getting paid minimum wage simply because minimum wage gets raised so much more drastically than it has been raised in the past? You're pretty hard headed if you think people would be okay with that.

No, I think plenty of people would be pretty pissed off because they're idiots like you who need to be making more than someone else to feel good, instead of being happy that people might get paid enough that they can work a service sector job and not have to go on welfare or choose between necessities.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't raise it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

I get paid well above minimum wage, even if it was $15/hour.

Then what the gently caress are you even complaining for?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

You do know it's possible to move on from your $10/hr job to bigger and better things, right? You don't need to artificially get there, you can actually go out and earn $50k a year if you really give some effort.

So you think all the people who are earning minimum wage now are just lazy scum who don't want it enough, eh?

Hey Cole, have you ever hosed a watermelon?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

It has nothing to do with making more than someone else to feel good. Stop putting words in my mouth. It has to do with putting in several years of work to get above minimum wage to only get placed right back at minimum wage. You proved yourself over years that you are worth more than minimum, that's why you got a raise in the first place. In many cases, you're giving people who have worked hard to get paid more than minimum wage a raise.... right to minimum wage, and that's a lovely proposition.

Well if you're still worth more than the (people making the) minimum then you can work hard and get a raise, can't you Mr. Bootstraps? You are still making the same amount of money. Why do you care what other people make unless you desperately need to know you are being paid more than people you consider lesser than you?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Because they are 15 years old.

Two things you loving retard. Most of the people working minimum wage are not 15. Second, if a laborer is competent enough to do their job, they are competent enough to earn the same wage as another laborer. Their age is irrelevant.

Unless you want to argue that they don't need $15 an hour and shouldn't get paid it, in which case I can make the same argument for everyone making more than 80k a year.

You do know some teenagers have to be breadwinners right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Because nobody who has earned raises to get beyond minimum wage deserves to be stuck at minimum wage again.

See there you go again. "Deserves to be stuck at". You're loving pathetic and it is goddamn hilarious.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Someone doesn't disagree with you and you give disingenuous trolling responses... The Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion: Just make sure you agree with us.

I notice you are refusing to answer the question. Is there something about your relationship with gourds you feel uncomfortable sharing with us?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

yeah. the better your work, the more you are worth. that seems pretty logical.

Oh so you were lying about being paid minimum wage even if it is a good wage affecting your self-esteem earlier? Cool

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

In a perfect world, you would take a baseline amount that it takes to live on (to cover rent, food, etc), increase it by a certain percentage (say 10%), and call that minimum wage. If you have a child that you are the primary care for, maybe you are eligible for a monthly stipend to help care for your kid.

Okay, we don't live in a perfect world and people rabidly loving oppose this perfectly sensible and just policy, even amongst the Democrats. We could, possibly, after much struggle, raise the minimum wage.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

The core of my argument has been about that guy who is already making $15/hour. You are undermining what that person has done for several years by sticking them back at minimum wage anyway.

I can quote several posts I have made that illustrate this point.

No, we understand that feeling and feel that it is a callow and shortsighted reaction that works against that persons best interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i don't understand where people are getting this $15 figure from. what we should do instead is figure out the average expenses for a family of four, and then calculate how much a person would need to be paid every hour for 40 hours, 52 weeks a year, in order to hit that target

$15 an hour works out to $31,200 a year, which is okay but not great if you are the sole earner in a household with multiple dependents.

• Locked thread