Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Not to be boastful but I got $15/hour when I had (mostly) finished my education too. That was 35 years ago. The fact that the modern employment scene is so bleak for young people with an education in the midst of an economy that's vastly larger than it was back then is absolutely terrible. You're being robbed and you're arguing that it's a good thing.

[edit] robbed, cheated, exploited; whatever makes you maddest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Ervin K posted:

Still better than 90% of arguments in favor of it. Also since you missed something very clear, I was arguing against a $15/hr minimum wage.

You realize that in real terms you're being paid less than somebody doing your job (or an equivalent) a few decades ago, right? And that that's true even though the people you're working for are much wealthier than employers back then?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

^^ :tipshat:

Ervin K posted:

Technically, my job didn't exist 20 years ago, it's not a field that people go to to make a lot of money.

So if you're doing work that you want to do why on earth would you argue that people who are doing jobs to stay alive shouldn't make as much? What kind of monster are you, out of curiosity?

emfive fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 5, 2015

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Ervin K posted:

in what part of America do you need to make $15 an hour to stay alive?

So you actually have no idea what you're talking about, right? You're not living in the US, right?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Ervin K posted:

Anyway, I've posted enough. I didn't really expect anything more than you guys to get really mad over someone else's opinions. I'm just gonna enjoy reading all the posts about "Why doesn't the rest of the country understand that were correct about everything! :qq:"

There you go, folks. One of the principal obstacles to raising awareness and support for better wages is that college educated low-wage workers think it's a terrible idea, and they're smug about it.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Typo posted:

If you want to have a minimum wage debate D&D is possibly the worst place to have it, because there is too much of an emotional attachment to the minimum wage as a policy (rather than as a principle) that opposing it basically makes you what an apostate is to a true believer.

Yea take it to freep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Abolish the minimum wage and funnel all resources into robotics research. Within 10 years we will have full blown techno-communism.

Robot Stalin will really be the Man of Steel!

• Locked thread