Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The left is currently trying to attack big corporations again. Their ammunition this time? The mass layoffs that will occur when minimum wage is increased to $15. Big business and small business will suffer, and guess who's to blame? BIG OL' GUBMENT for allowing for-profit companies. So now wages must be maintained and jobs must stay so what do we do? Start phasing out public corporation and start phasing in Federally owned enterprises on a large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

10 employes all making 10 dollars is 100 dollars an hour for staffing

bam 15 bucks minimum wage now.

7 employees making 15 dollars is 105 dollars an hour

So can 7 people spend more with 1/3rd more income If having 15 minimum wage jump your tax bracket to have about 1/3rd of your income gone every month on taxes alone.

And after they nuke the employment all the products jump by a % margin to make up for that 5 dollars or 10 dollars, or whatever the difference in wage is for the employees.

So by an average there would be 30% more unemployment for low wage earners.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 5, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

thehomemaster posted:

rofl yeah let's just base all decisions on emotions, that's sound

Minimum wage in Australia is like $16 an hour, that's $16 AUD not loving $15 USD.

Lower costs of living (healthcare, housing, education but make sure they are actually decent) and then you wouldn't need some arbitrarily high wage rate that will gut small to medium businesses.

Yes if we actually were a home grown economy that wasn't based on services instead of goods we probably wouldn't need to have a $15 an hour wage.

The clickbait in a sense is the big number mindset. I'm making more money even though I am spending way more.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vox Nihili posted:

Businesses generally employ as few people as possible to keep their costs low. They pay as little as the market will bear as well. Business owners then take the excess of revenue over costs as something called "profit." Increasing the minimum wage may force some cuts and price increases, but businesses won't just lay off 30% of their labor force; that is an inane presumption.

You're applying a middle school understanding of math and economics to an issue that is actually very complex. Everyone is cringing and laughing.

hahaha you sure about that? I know at least 5 businesses that would nuke their labor force to bring profits back up. IF you're paid $15 an hour you're going to be expected to do the world of 1.50

Interesting how the minimum wage and employment levels nearly sync when you look at the annual wage increases.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

paragon1 posted:

If they could fire people to increase profits without it affecting their products or services then why aren't they doing it right now and making their shareholders more money like they're supposed to?

Employment levels are manageable currently. Wages have been near the same for a whil now so the big brains in the corporate world have already calculated exactly how many people they can field at 10 an hour as opposed to how many are needed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there some specific number we absolutely cannot raise the minimum wage above?

Yes. 7.75 has been said to be the healthiest wage for a low wage earner, but we'd have to actually have an economy to make that work.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes It does, do you know why? Because higher wages favor those who already have jobs. a 5 dollar wage increase massively increases your operating costs.

SO lets go back to 10 employees at 10 bucks a pop

Jumps to 15

10 employees at 15 bucks an hour now costs you 150 instead of 100. a 33% increase in operating costs in a split second. Please tell me some businesses that could handle losing 1600 per day for 10 employees.

So maybe they manage with 9 and drop 1 guy. That spot is now gone until the business can handle hiring another person. So the unemployed person that may have gotten that job when so and so moved on now has no job. Because 9 workers are making 15 bucks and they're happy as gently caress why would they quit now?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

spoon0042 posted:

ahahahahahaha

oh wait you're serious

Yeah I mean you have less training costs because higher minimum wage does decrease employee turnover for slightly higher paying jobs. However it does not decrease unemployment.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

More recently, Mindy Marks found that the $0.90 per hour increase in the federal minimum-wage rate in 1990 reduced the probability of workers receiving employer-provided health insurance from 66.2 percent to 63.1 percent, and increased the likelihood that covered workers would be reduced to part-time work by 26 percent.

Additionally, North Carolina State University economist Walter Wessels determined that a wage increase caused New York retailers to increase work demands. In most stores, fewer workers were given fewer hours to do the same work as before.

And if the minimum wage were raised to $10.10 an hour, for example, the estimated 16.5 million workers earning between $7.25 and $10.10 could lose nonmonetary compensation more valuable than the $31 billion in additional wages they are expected to receive.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Equine Don posted:

$20 an hour free college free healthcare. Fight me

this is what we call "you cant have your cake and eat it too."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 5, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EugeneJ posted:

How about free college, but we ban all degree programs that don't lead directly to job placements

I think Free College should be first degree is job focused, second degree is a choice made by you. But you have to be employed at least 10 years before you can decide on a second degree

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

thehomemaster posted:

Other way round.

How? I dont want some dipshit getting a lovely degree and having to wait 10 hears for his opportunity. gently caress that. every 18 year old should have mandatory education focused on a skill or trade or mandatory military service For at least 4 years.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

crabcakes66 posted:

Are there really any arguments against raising minimum wage that don't center around made up numbers/correlations and "gently caress the poor"?

Let's ask Alex Jones
1. Minimum wage jobs are a stepping stone to better job. They are not meant for person to live on or to support a family. Unless you have another source of income or low expenses, such as parents, retirement, roommates, etc, you should not accept a low wage position permanently.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Typical Pubbie posted:

Oh gently caress is that true? You mean I'm not supposed to accept a low wage position permanently?

gently caress. gently caress!

No dude, I need to make a living wage flipping loving burgers at mcdonalds.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Alligator Horse posted:

That wouldn't somehow disincentivize upskilling: nobody likes loving working low-end customer service, let alone fast food positions. As someone who worked their way up from a seasonal to a full time to a managerial position within a retail organization--a not-that-impressive but still time consuming climb that ended in a $13/hr position--, who then left the company to pursue a more fulfilling and better-paying career, let me be the first to tell you that all $15/hr would have done was stabilize my meager savings and support my fairly restrained expenditures. It would have been a godsend. I'm sure this applies doubly to people who tend to spend more or who have more locked-in expenses they have to cover.

In short, gently caress you.

Yes because increasing the minimum wage of the country is good because it helps those who are employed. Awesome. so our unemployment number continues to increase slowly, but that's okay because everyone who is employed is living the 15 dollar an hour dream.

SO what about members of the military, should their wage increase aswell? You do realize that would cost more than a billion more anually right?

Who wouldn't want 15 bucks an hour as an 18 year old or a 20 year old. That doesn't mean it's a sustainable idea. It's just like printing more money when you dont have any money.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

can someone fill me in on the last 25 loving pages of discussion. I was busy being exiled

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Great idea! The US should also have no minimum wage, just like Denmark. Let wages reflect economic conditions instead of an arbitrary government set amount.

a system where economic fortitude is directly related to population happiness and prosperity? wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Geriatric Pirate posted:

What if, instead of calling it the "minimum wage", we called it the "randomized wage increase lottery" where we gave a random selection of 5% of young workers from each decile of household income a raise? And funded that with a VAT, with a special focus on goods that poor people like to buy.

Maybe we can get the Republicans on board with your idea as well! If you work together, you'll feel really superior to all those poor people.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008
REMEMBER WHEN READING MY POSTS THAT I AM LITERALLY LAUGHING AT PEOPLE FOR DESCRIBING HOW HARD IT IS TO BE POOR IN THE USA, WHILE POSTING FROM A SCANDINAVIAN SOCIAL DEMOCRACY. ALSO, DON'T READ MY POSTS, I AM A MORON BUT TOO STUPID TO KNOW IT.

• Locked thread