Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Minimum wage has little effect on employment but thread accurately named, voted (1)5(an hour).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

paragon1 posted:

Clearly what we need is more labor organizers and communists threatening to burn everything.

Pretty much.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Why is the current minimum wage always the magic number?

Because businesses will whine and the average person knows jack poo poo about economics?

Also the crab barrel.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Is there any evidence that the minimum wage has contributed in any significant way to inflation? Lowering the the minimum wage by 30% or so in the last 50 years sure didn't reduce prices any.

And what's the mechanism for that: minimum wage doesn't increase the money supply, that money comes from somewhere else in the economy (corporate profits). Minimum wage doesn't reduce the supply of goods: people who have more money to spend are going to stimulate production in an economy hobbled by slack demand like ours is now.

This seems like a concern troll. If controlling inflation is the most important thing, why are we attacking the minimum wage and not the policies the central bank has been using to fight deflation and prop up asset prices. Why don't we just back off on those policies a bit to even it out rather than refusing to raise the minimum wage.

It's absolutely a concern troll. There isn't a coherent economic argument against raising the minimum wage, it should already have been done.

Sure, full communism would be better but increasing the wage is actually possible right now.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
^^^ Presumably "why not advocate for an employer independent mincome" but that's stupid because that will never pass but minwage is certainly attainable for now.

Series DD Funding posted:

A national $15 minimum wage is just as out of the question as a mincome is for now.

Not really no, it's already passed in a variety of areas it's pretty reasonable. Probably should be higher but baby steps.

quote:

I don't understand why leftists are so keen on a policy that ties workers further to their employers.

Full communism isn't going to happen in a day, have some vision.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Watching Geriatric Pirate jump from justification to justification each post is pretty fun.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Why do you hate poor people by supporting a policy that makes them worse off?

I don't support keeping wages unlivably low so I'm not sure why you are asking me that?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I posted an article showing that the minimum wage hurt the purchasing power of poor people, you support the minimum wage, hence clearly you hate poor people, or at the very least want them to be poorer.

Even if your article was 100% definitive the conclusion doesn't follow.

You are bad at this.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Hmm, I thought poor people were really struggling to get by (at least that's what I read here every day), but I guess that's not the case and price increases aren't a big deal to them. As long as a small portion of them, along with a bunch of teenagers from high income families, see an increase in salaries, right?

Or in other words, why do you hate poor people so much? Does seeing poor people have their living costs rise make you feel superior to them? What's in it for you?

Why do you love businesses so much? Why don't you marry them? :smugdog:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Sorry for caring about the vast majority of Americans who aren't working.

LOL no you don't.

You're clinging to a single study you found in the WSJ and attempting to beat people with it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Oh, look at you with your study. Mr. Fancypants found a study by an economist. Oooh Mr. Fancypants' study is published in a top economics journal.

I know, I know, actual evidence won't stop you from wanting to screw over the poor. I guess it's just in your nature to like suffering.

LOL academic economics

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

this thread owns

Yeah i never thought we could go pages arguing against a living wage but yet here we are

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I do this by using the magic trick of defining "minimum wage worker" as "someone who makes minimum wage"

LOL at someone who talks about minimum wage without discussing people who work at $.05-.50 above minwage and expects people to think he isn't an economics 101 baby.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

I think $15 is an appropriate minimum wage for the majority of los angeles where average yearly income is at or above 60,000 per year, but might have negative overall effects in neighborhoods like Koreatown and Watts and Pico-Union where the average wage is half that or less.

Going back a bunch of pages I'm loving the idea that $15 minimum is going to hurt the poorer neighborhoods and is only appropriate in the rich areas.

Up is down, etc.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

asdf32 posted:

If I were VitalSigns I'd simply say "but the housing market was regulated!". Actually I will say that

Hahahahaha no not really. It was deregulated for years, along with banking and that's how we got 2008.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Good effortpost. But lol if you think Zeitgueist has ever actually been in a poor neighborhood. Just let him continue to imagine that most poor people are single mothers working at McDonald's and everyone else is covered by inflation indexation.

A) LOL you're in loving northern europe claiming I'm out of touch with American Poor
B) LOL I'd be happy to go meet you in Skid Row, let me know which hipster bar you'll be hiding in 3 blocks away clutching your wallet.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

I’ve been accumulating some of this for an effortpost for a week or so.

Economists (really liberal ones, at that) support indexing the minimum wage to half the average wage:

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/report/2013/06/13/66204/300-million-engines-of-growth/

http://www.epi.org/blog/a-12-minimum-wage-would-bring-the-united-states-in-line-with-international-peers/

Yes, a current $15 wage is slightly high from an economic standpoint, which is why folks are proposing phasing it in.

quote:

Economists (even really liberal ones) think raising the minimum wage to 15 is bad policy.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2014/jun/03/thomas-piketty-seattle-minimum-wage-risks-jobs

"Thomas Picketty says instantly doubling the minimum wage rather than phasing it in is a bad idea" thank you for countering a proposal nobody has made with an poorly aimed argument from authority, good job!

quote:

Minimum wage won’t help a large portion of the poor.

"a study done previously indicates that particular wage increase may not have helped people please note how this is also an argument against every minimum wage ever an argument you'll notice I carefully avoid"

quote:

If all those words aren’t convincing, I made a picture.
This is from Downtown Los Angeles, the lowest per-capita-income neighborhood in LA, and where I live. Who in this picture is likely to benefit from a significant minimum wage hike?

Nobody, I bet all the folks in that picture would be helped by making wages even less, because [trails off...]

quote:

Oh, and in today's news, Labor leaders are seeking exemptions to the 15 dollar minimum wage for union employees.

Yes because they want the ability to negotiate their own deals that might include other forms of compensation tied to a slightly lower hourly rate, but LOL if you think they're trying to get their workers LESS compensation.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
By the way, for those who don't live in LA if you live in downtown LA are aren't dirt poor you are most likely quite wealthy. It's the poorest part of LA and also some of the highest rent depending on the block.

Great place to see a row of Ferraris parked outside a high end restaurant with people pitching tents on the sidewalk on the same block.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Methanar posted:

So how many people actually making minimum wage +/- 10%?

About 20 million people are "near minimum wage"

quote:

And how many are making less than 15%/hr?

Trying to find the cite but the quoted number is about 40% of all workers (120~million) so about 50 million.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

QuarkJets posted:

Not sure how that idea relates to anything in my post. Did you quote the wrong person? I'm focusing on JeffersonClay's delusional paranoia and cognitive dissonance right now

It's really good policy for helping minimum wage workers. It's good for a great many poor people, even if it's not good for all of them. Any negative effects of a small minimum wage increase are negligibly small, so it certainly doesn't hurt them in a meaningful way

Notice, people attempting to imply that minimum wage increases are harmful should be for lowering the wage or never raising it, arguments they never actually make. They're just trying to nitpick and cast doubt on this increase, just every single other time we've raised the minimum wage and the same arguments happened.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

asdf32 posted:

I'm on the record saying that lowering the minimum wage would increase employment

You're on the record saying a lot of things, who cares? Minwage increases generally don't affect unemployment. Do I need to post the CEBR metastudy that you no doubt have seen linked 15 times in this thread already?

quote:

but the fact that currently only 5% of the workforce earns minimum is a clue as to how small an impact that would have.

5% earn exactly minimum but a whole lot more people earn near minimum are will be affected, the only clue here is the one you need to be getting.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
[quote="JeffersonClay" post=""445877"]
The city sends around dudes in polo shirts on bikes to hassle the homeless if they set up outside of skid row, so you really rarely see that kind of incongruous scene. Also skid row produces a red aura which lowers property values in the immediate vicinity so you can find decent rents if you don’t mind people pooping in your doorway.
[/quote]

That pic was a few doors away from a mission. I doubt you live there. We both know that even a few blocks away us gentrified as gently caress so please don't wander over to skid row and tell people they want lower wages.

quote:

Piketty didn’t say anything about implementation time. You mare that up.

That's actually my point. His quote says nothing about graduated implementation, you're just taking a quote and making an arumen from authority out of context.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm not saying they want lower wages, I'm saying they don't want price increases! Maybe wait until you're calm and your reading comprehension returns before replying?

Argument from authority is actually a good argument when you're dealing with a complex technical subject. It's why the scientific consensus on climate change should be convincing. And the onus is on you to prove Piketty would change his statement based on a graduated implementation. His statement was unambiguous.

Oh I'm aware what your argument is, it's just really far removed from reality and that's why I'm mocking it. But I am seriously mad irl so you got me there!

And no, argument from authority doesn't become a good thing just because you like the authority. It needs to be backed up with evidence.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

is that middle class swede who wishes he was a poor inner city minority still posting itt

Not only that but he's accusing Americans who live in LA that they have never been to a poor neighborhood which is pretty hilarious if you've ever been in LA

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ardennes posted:

Yeah especially considering how many working poor LA has and the deep class/race divisions are. If anything the recent news is one of the most hopeful things I have heard about LA in a while.

LA really hosed itself when it killed the Red Car and they didn't build any rail for practically 30 years. That issue is never ever going to get fixed.

They built the Blue Line and then had to expand the platforms within 10 Years because they didn't plan for the amount of traffic. Because LA. The blue line basically travels through the poorest parts of LA.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

economics isn't an objective science, though. it deals with human behavior, and is thus subjective, meaning it is open to endless interpretation

Some folks in this need this to be forcibly made into their signature.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Typical Pubbie posted:

To me it's strange to put the responsibility for providing a living wage entirely on businesses, because I personally don't like businesses having that kind of power over people's livelihoods. It's the same reason I don't think businesses should have anything to do with their employee's healthcare.

Yes full communism now, but failing that wage regulating is probably good.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

down with slavery posted:

Personally I find it amusing when people talk about Australia or Norway being "resource rich" like the US isn't or something

Let me tell you why country X with an economy smaller than California is uniquely able to have the money to do moderately progressive policies....

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

That worked out really well for you :thumbsup:

This is amazing

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Way to post a graph boldly rejecting the need for data, Mr. Laffer.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
^^^^^ when did you stop beating your wife?

asdf32 posted:

Didn't I use the phrase "intelectual child" earlier in this thread? I'm being reminded of that now.

Literally just as valid as the chart it's mocking, dude

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

No units :colbert:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

A challenge for the economics-challenged out there. Name one thing that's inaccurate about the graph. You can't, probably because you don't understand it. If that's too hard, you can post what wage you think is represented by the green and red lines.

There's nothing innaccurate about that graph because it's not falsifiable because it's an argument and not a graph....it has no data. Which is why I called you Laffer.

If that went over your head, maybe you shouldn't be condescending about economics knowledge? Here's a hint: Everyone here understood exactly what you were saying, but the post was still dumb.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
if we raised the minwage to $15bil/s then poor people would be even poorer. It's science.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

down with slavery posted:

how do you guys know 15/bil a second wasnt to the left of the optimal point on his graph

well if you look at the underlying data you'll see

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

The shape of that curve will hold true for every labor market. It's totally accurate.

Prove it.

quote:

Considering I was using the graph to demonstrate visually a point that another poster did not understand, I don't think you're right. 0/3

You're not exactly working above anyones level here.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

No, you're wrong. Representing a concept is all I was attempting to do.

OK, now show your concept works, with data.

We'll wait. :allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

You get that neither I nor anyone else has a function which would actually generate that curve, right? The lack of units is intentional. The graph is just a tool to help you understand how the minimum wage affects the poor at different levels of wage.

Yes I get that you're attempting to make a graph to try and support a concept you can't support and that you left off units because you have no data.

Tell me again why you are so smug about your economics knowledge.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
If you post a labelled pic of Skid Row again maybe folks will forget about this one and go back to making fun of you for something else! :eng101:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Gravel Gravy posted:

We get it. You took Economy 101. You realize that policy is based on more than theoretical concepts, right?

non-data driven graphs is like the shibboleth for econ101

also the smugness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
econ postgrads are like "gently caress it, none of this poo poo makes sense plot your own poo poo i'm going to go get high"

• Locked thread