Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Venomous posted:

I, for one, welcome our new communist overlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

wateroverfire posted:

I feel like any noodle vendor could tell you where your thinking is going wrong. Perhaps you should ask them.
So basically you're saying that theoretical knowledge of axioms and truths trump the mere observation of empirical reality? Does this apply to all fields or only to economic ones? After all--

wateroverfire posted:

Just because you don't like the dynamic doesn't mean it's not fair.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

Every society is a meritocracy, what don't you get about this GoJM?
You might say it's a Just World?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

Contains information directly opposite to your argument:

Hope this helps! :eng101:
I believe you'll find that under Praxeological analysis, logical positivism cannot explain or predict human action. Therefore, empirical data cannot falsify economic theory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The minimum wage was effectively about $15 back when it was introduced, wasn't it? Why were we not immediately plunged into a huge great depression?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It seems that while it could hypothetically be taken to extremes, paying higher wages and having more skilled and energetic workers accomplishes more than having them in a state of exhausted fear. It would seem one of the primary reasons pushing against this (other than the understandable if not laudable "I don't want to pay my workers more") is received wisdom.

False consciousness, if you will. :ussr:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

But if we advocate for a reform package that will pass this Congress on the Fifth of Never, we get the benefits of pushing a policy we benefit from AND we get to claim a rhetorical high ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suppose what asdf is pedantically insistent on is that higher minimum wages would eventually impact employment, and this is probably true at a certain point. If you had a mandatory minimum wage of $40/hour you would probably see a lot of evasion, assuming the value of a dollar remained the same. However, while this is probably true, this doesn't necessarily hold true with $15/hour or maybe even $20/hour.

• Locked thread