Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nt07hdOsaE

Been looking forward to this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Already been loving around with something today. I feel like it's skirting the spirit of the rules again and also particularly lazy, but it might be a fun plan B. Hope to find some more ambitious plan A along the way.

Anyway, doing stuff :feelsgood:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TZer0 posted:

Here's my attempt at electronic jazz

Some CC would be nice.
It feels very rigidly quantized. It would work better, even as it is otherwise, with a bit of humanizing and the proper swing this needs. I recommend reading The Midi Files by Rob Young if you want to delve into the subject. It's an old book; you can pick up the first edition for a couple of bucks on Amazon.

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is what I've got so far. Just took my guitar to get fixed because it has been horribly screwy lately so I can't really make any real progress until I get it back. The guitar solo was like my second take so it's not the best.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/ivory-break-mark-2/s-IuGQT

Tell me what you think and also that I need more synths.
Love it as an intro to something. Really saddened that it ends where it does, idling, instead of getting into gear. Also, buy more synths, you know it's the right thing to do.

My efforts basically have been stalled by an impromptu bathroom renovation. I'm hoping to squeeze out something in the second half of this month. My workflow doesn't lend itself to revisiting stuff over longer periods of time anyway. Gotta make something start to end in three days or it'll never get finished.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm not even close to done, but I'm a little bit stuck on it. Where do you think I should go with it? More chord changes? More Synths? I really like what I have so far (as a start) but I'm probably going to start working on another song tomorrow and see if I can make anything more interesting.
I was thinking leave what is as is, because it's really good, just cram a section in at the end where you switch from the relaxed feel to something with a bit more drive. Have a steadily, briskly pulsing bass and build around that. Maybe work with the drums to feel as if you've doubled the tempo (without actually doing that). And/or switch up the chords. Bonus points if you can keep the same weeping synth lead overarching it all. Something like that. I don't have the terminology. But something that complements it and contrasts with it like a chorus section would. Hell, even momentarily switching it up from guitar driven to all electro synths doing the exact same things could work. At the moment I'm left with a certain tension that is never resolved. It's not that it lacks interest; I'm interested enough to feel blue balled.

It's also fine as it is. This can be your entry and I'll say "Nice!" I just think there's an opportunity to try to take it to another level.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ok so I took your advice (I think). It's still far from done, but I made the second part of the song part dub Reggie part 'slowed down dnb'. The very end of the tune goes back to the first guitar riff thing and I'm not sure I like it that much but I thought of it as the start of an outro type thing.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/blues-break-sa-comp-album-mark-4/s-8BArg
It's exactly the thing that was needed. A very natural transition too. I like it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Because I hate you fuckers you get to hear me sing
Ditto! Went with the same theme lyrically, even.

EDIT: New link with updated version (since I removed the old one): https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/billie-jeantrouble-so-hard

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 18, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

We are soooo soulfull.
My rear end may be as white as the driven snow, but my soul is as black as Uncle Tom's.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Argh, apparently I messed up both song titles. The spiritual is called Trouble So Hard originally, not Troubles. And MJ released Billie Jean, not Billy Jean :cripes:

Also, listening to it on different speakers, I'm wondering if it all didn't come out a bit... muffled? I don't know. It would be the first real evidence I'd see of my Yamaha monitors indeed being brighter than average.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Wife always made me skip your tracks on bonerjamz when we were in the car because the bass made her motion sick, so maybe keep that in mind too.
Huh. That's troubling. I've got to look into that. I think a combo of filtering out an excess of energy below 50Hz and multi band compression might sanitize it a bit without losing too much of what I want it to sound like.

Obviously those 5" woofers don't do the 25Hz rumble in the way a subwoofer could, so I'll have to dig up the spectum analyzer to see what's really going on.

Thanks man, I think that's going to be a significant heads up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Your poo poo's too punchy for the wife. That is all that is going on. There is no greater mystery or depth or need for scientific evaluation.
Dude. Dude! No.

One of the two rips away in audible distortion if I only try to push it up 1-2dB with a limiter.

The other allows me to comfortably bring it 9dB up and still stays within K-12 after that (which I consider conservative for electronic music). With complete impunity. I lose nothing of the intended impact, even at the same level.

My bonerjamz tracks have a similar problem. That was definitely worth investigating. I'm very fond of my artistic freedom to do whatever in an audio file, but I like to stay away from things that are or border on technical problems.

EDIT: I re-uploaded what I think is a better version, but due to the change in the title's spelling, the url has changed as well. New: https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/billie-jeantrouble-so-hard

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 18, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

double check your link
fixed

Don't let this post distract anyone from:

Sizone posted:

also, where the gently caress is everybody else's submissions? TIME IS RUNNING OUT PEOPLE.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I keep getting "this video is not available" for some reason :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/you-are-my-sunshine

Bonus track, which totally should count since it was written by a couple of white guys, but was covered by myriad of black people.

I'll upload lossless versions somewhere during the weekend.

• Locked thread