Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Would a blues/hip-hop song fit with the theme? I have an idea but I want to make the drums, bassline, and samples sound stylistically similar to old BDP style boom-bap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
This is what I've got so far. Just took my guitar to get fixed because it has been horribly screwy lately so I can't really make any real progress until I get it back. The guitar solo was like my second take so it's not the best.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/ivory-break-mark-2/s-IuGQT

Tell me what you think and also that I need more synths.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flipperwaldt posted:

Love it as an intro to something. Really saddened that it ends where it does, idling, instead of getting into gear. Also, buy more synths, you know it's the right thing to do.

I'm not even close to done, but I'm a little bit stuck on it. Where do you think I should go with it? More chord changes? More Synths? I really like what I have so far (as a start) but I'm probably going to start working on another song tomorrow and see if I can make anything more interesting.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 5, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flipperwaldt posted:

I was thinking leave what is as is, because it's really good, just cram a section in at the end where you switch from the relaxed feel to something with a bit more drive. Have a steadily, briskly pulsing bass and build around that. Maybe work with the drums to feel as if you've doubled the tempo (without actually doing that). And/or switch up the chords. Bonus points if you can keep the same weeping synth lead overarching it all. Something like that. I don't have the terminology. But something that complements it and contrasts with it like a chorus section would. Hell, even momentarily switching it up from guitar driven to all electro synths doing the exact same things could work. At the moment I'm left with a certain tension that is never resolved. It's not that it lacks interest; I'm interested enough to feel blue balled.

It's also fine as it is. This can be your entry and I'll say "Nice!" I just think there's an opportunity to try to take it to another level.

Sizone posted:

More length, same level of complexity. Just loving play, man. You can take 5-8 minutes worth of music and wittle it down to a nice tight 3 minutes track. Play and explore, you'll find your intro, verse chorus and outro and whatever. Regarding synths, switch up the patches. Wormy portamento synth is fine for a few bars, but then bring in some horn stabs or something, like what you did with the e piano towards the end. A good thing to shoot for is not having more than 4 things going on at one time, but those 4 things don't always have to be the same thing. Don't forget that you can use the lower range as a repository for harmony and melody as well. USE THE BASS.

I think, probably, what you really need is to learn to use a DAW so you can get non linear with stuff. Usually how I approach things (which is the wrong way because I'm a talentless sequencer person) is to sequence up, say, 6 or 7 sections, record all the tracks onto separate tracks in reaper and then mix and match. Some lines and beats end up sounding a lot better with stuff they weren't written with. USE THE BASS.

Along the DAW lines, once it's back, try and get some more tone out of your guitar, with enough effects it can be practically synthlike. Delay and ring modulation. USE THE BASS.

I hate to recommend that people listen to reggae, but Bob Marley is a loving master of pop music orchestration. Listen to, like, could you be loved, if you need a hint as far as what goes where to make a track sound just super full and lively. USE THE BASS.

Don't forget that the guitar can take a breather for a few bars now and again too.

Ok so I took your advice (I think). It's still far from done, but I made the second part of the song part dub Reggie part 'slowed down dnb'. The very end of the tune goes back to the first guitar riff thing and I'm not sure I like it that much but I thought of it as the start of an outro type thing.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/blues-break-sa-comp-album-mark-4/s-8BArg

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dRrW66YNMY
Last Second Inspiration :D
Sorry for the scrub question but where do I submit? Are we supposed to PM Sizone?

• Locked thread